• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 HDD speed test thread (HDD/SSHD/SSD/STD)

viveks86

Awesome! Now, is this something that will be available in 1.5TB next year? Or should I pull the trigger on the 1TB right now?

Probably. It's always going to keep getting better. The question really is how long you can resist the temptation if you can afford it already :)

The benefits are tangible right off the bat. I'm really excited to see the 2 second boot once the suspend/resume feature is in place (I get it already when something is downloading during stand by). Honestly, it will really encourage me to pick up a controller for a 5 minute quickie. I already see myself gaming much more often than the PS3.

Tux

I would NOT purchase *any* 5400 RPM HDD unless it's a Hybrid 5400 SSHD drive. The ones you linked are just basic HDD 5400 RPM drives.

If you want to keep the cost down and have 1TB while maintaining a decent speed for a non-SSD go with the Seagate 5400 Hybrid 1TB drive that its listed on the front page chart.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B99JUBQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Tux

Åesop;90544037 said:
So lets talk about the 8 GB SSD-Cache that are in most of the SSHDs. Sounds a bit small to me.. Ive heard there are some SSHDs with up to 64 GB SSD-Cache ?!! Where can I find them? Whats their name ? Where can I buy one of those ?

I don't think that's correct. You might have confused 64GB with 64MB (GigaBytes vs MegaBytes). You'll see 8/16/32/64MB cache for the standard HDDs.

SSHDs come in Hybird form with 8GB of solid state. That's not the same thing as the 64MB cache you'll find on the standard HDDs.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think that's correct. You might have confused 64GB with 64MB (GigaBytes vs MegaBytes). You'll see 8/16/32/64MB cache for the standard HDDs.

SSHDs come in Hybird form with 8GB of solid state. That's not the same thing as the 64MB cache you'll find on the standard HDDs.

Nope. I found out there are some SSHDs with more than 8GB SSD/NAND cache but they only work on pc since they're installed & displayed as 2 seperate drives. On PS4 you can only read/write from one.

jimbob1971

Neo Member
Those people testing stock v other drive PLEASE try something for me.

Play Killzone up to the drop down from a cliff level (that have the intel). Maybe save it to the cloud so you don't have to play through again.

Now, install the new drive and KillZone, fetch the save and time that level load.

Weird thing: Stock *always* takes about 50-55 seconds. However, when I mount a new drive (either SSD or SSHD) the load times for this level sometimes nearly double, from what each SSD/SSHD usually performs, so the SSD takes 1 min 10 - 20 secs and SSHD takes 1 min 20 - 50 secs.

I thought I'd solved this by turning the PS4 upside down (disk issue) but this no longer works. So, I thought it must be an HD mount issue but I had it fix itself without changing the HD before. Plus the load last night was 36-40 secs on my SSD. I uninstalled KillZone, reinstalled it, and the load time is always about 1 min 5 secs on the SSD now! I did NOT reseat or remove the SSD, so for some reason the SSD is slower than stock after a reinstall of the software!. As I mentioned before, the stock drive always takes about 50-55 secs, even when swapped out then back in, suggesting this isn't an HD connection issue.

I'm really scratching my head here guys. Turning off and on didn't work. Ejecting the disk didn't work, reseating the hard drive didn't work. My main theory was a problem with the optical drive, but I didn't take the disk out when swapping HDs and stock times always remain the same! I managed to get the load time back to normal by turning the PS4 upside down (!) a fee days ago but that no longer seems to work!

Help is solving this would be appreciated. As yet I've only seen it with Killzone but haven't tested enough long loading times to see if it is present in other games.

Update; this morning the load times were still the same, however my machine would not connect to the internet and hung during the test network screen. I restarted, deleted the Killzone save then downloaded save from cloud. This time the loads were fine. Either there is an issue with the internet (unlikely) or the download from cloud option confused the Killzone saves. I'd recommend deleting any saves before downloading from the cloud in case this causes the issue.

Update 2:
I have all the drives loading quickly BUT they all loaded the level at 42 seconds, even the stock drive!
Stock drive 42 - 45 seconds over 3 runs
SSHD 42 - 45 seconds over 4 runs
SSD 36 - 42 seconds over 5 runs (normally 38 - 39)

Tux

Åesop;92727571 said:
Nope. I found out there are some SSHDs with more than 8GB SSD/NAND cache but they only work on pc since they're installed & displayed as 2 seperate drives. On PS4 you can only read/write from one.

Just to be clear.

Since I've been using the SSHD 9.5mm Momentus XL 500GB (2008) and then later the 750GB version (both 7200 RPM). I never saw another "laptop" hybrid drive that came larger than 8GB SSD cache.

I never ventured into the "PC (I'm assuming you meant 3.5 drives?)" selection of drives to find a one that would fit the PS3 or PS4. Why would I? If it's a speciality drive, then why would you expect it to work in the PS3 or PS4? I'm not saying that specialty PC/laptop type drives with larger than 8GB cache don't exist. I'm saying that those that are considered laptop 7mm to 9.5mm SATA II SSHD that fit the PS3/PS4 don't exist.

I've always kept my eye on new 7mm - 9.5mm laptop drives that have more than 8GB SSD. But they never show up on Newegg or Amazon.

So it seems that the hybrid drive is the way to go. Is the Seagate basically the go to choice?

For the price. Boot times are noticeably improved for me. What I don't understand is if its going to improve in game streaming performance. I remember DF did a SSD test on PS3 a while back and there was a noticeable improvement with Rage, which is a game that relied on the HDD quite heavily.

I don't fully understand how a SSHD works, but to me it sounds like only things it accesses frequently are going to be improved, i.e. boot times. The regular HDD portion that runs at 5400rpm is no faster than the stock drive, correct? So only when its using the information on the 8gb NAND will it improve performance?

FrankWza

For the price. Boot times are noticeably improved for me. What I don't understand is if its going to improve in game streaming performance. I remember DF did a SSD test on PS3 a while back and there was a noticeable improvement with Rage, which is a game that relied on the HDD quite heavily.

I don't fully understand how a SSHD works, but to me it sounds like only things it accesses frequently are going to be improved, i.e. boot times. The regular HDD portion that runs at 5400rpm is no faster than the stock drive, correct? So only when its using the information on the 8gb NAND will it improve performance?

Based on the limited testing it does improve load times and general speed. But I think if you have many different apps and games that you frequently play and access it will probably slow down. The tests done were with 2-3 games a few days after ps4 release so once the system gets some play under it there may be some slowdown. Newer SSD is the way to go. It's pricey though. There is a 7200 rpm sshd out there that might be best solution as far as $ per GB.

Tux

I'll try and answer this as best I can. But let me give you a list of the drives categorized by price, performance or both in regards to what you are trying to achieve in your purchase.

Best Price First, Good Performance second:

1) Hitachi 1TB HGST 7K1000 7200 RPM (HDD) - $80-$100
2) Seagate 1TB ST1000LM014 5400 RPM (SSHD) - $90-$110
3) Western Digital 750GB WD7500BPKT 7200 RPM (HDD) - $70-$80

Good Performance First, High Price second:

1) Seagate 750GB Momentus XL STBD750100 7200 RPM (SSHD) - $150-$250

Note: Hard to find and supposedly replaced by the Seagate 1TB ST1000LM014 5400 RPM (SSHD). I guess they couldn't figure out how to make a 7200 RPM 1TB Hybrid in the 9.5mm laptop size. :(

Performance or GTFO:

1) Samsung* 1TB 840 Evo (SSD) - $500-$550
2) Samsung* 750GB 840 Evo (SSD) - $450
3) Samsung* 500GB 840 Evo (SSD) - $330
4) Samsung* 250GB 840 Evo (SSD) - $150

5) Samsung** 500GB 840 Pro (SSD) - $430

*MLC NAND (Pro) - Faster than Evo; last 60 years. But does not come in 1TB.
**TLC NAND (Evo) - Last 19 years; Less expensive than Pro; Comes in 1TB model.

There's a lot of write-ups on the difference between MCL and TCL NAND. But these differences are so convoluted in regards to lifespan of SSD technology that it best you read them as time permits over the next coming years.

Here's a small image I found:

SxiKHRb.png

Tux

Johnny,

Not sure how much you'd see in streaming performance since the data rates over your ISP probably won't make that much difference. What the 7200 RPM offers over the 5400 RPM (SSHD or HDD) is mainly in the write speeds; not reads. Thus, when you start-up/boot a game most of the time the PS3/PS4 was just reading the data from the 8GB SSD cache (hybrid drives) or the standard HDD drive itself. That's why the Hybrid 5400 performance is mostly equal to the same hybrid 7200 RPM versions. Both are doing reads most of the time (boot up tests and starting up games).

Since the PS4 doesn't allow me to copy large files form an external USB 2.0 or 3.0 7200 RPM external drive I can't do write testing (files larger than 8GB). I'd suspect that the only times you'll notice any differences is when installing games. But then again, that too is limited to the bottleneck of the 6x Blu-ray drive. :(

So, to avoid all this ruckus, I'd say that it's just best get the Hitachi 1TB HGST 7K1000 (HDD) and be done with it until you can save up for a larger SSD.

Then, the fun starts when people start debating NAND types! :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Those people testing stock v other drive PLEASE try something for me
That's my go-to level for disk speed testing. I will test this now that I've installed Seagate SSHDD. KZ is downloading now and I'll test it as soon as I possibly can, probably tomorrow morning as it's getting late now. I will even try testing it before it's fully downloaded (play go) just for the hell of it. I don't have the game on Bluray disc though, just downloaded version, but my measured times with stock disc match yours 50-55sec perfectly. It can go up to 58s however, if you play something else, and then start KZ right after. On repeat load without quitting the game, it goes to 50-51s.

Keep in mind that Tested.com tested loading speed on this same KZ level, and they measured 59s for stock drive, 41 for Seagate SSHDD and 39 for Samsung EVO SSD. However, I think they failed to try re-load tests in which the stock drive appears to shave off some seconds (although I'm pretty sure SSHDD would shave off some seconds as well, what due to caching to SSD portion). Here's the video of the test, and it includes a few other games, all showing similar speed improvements: http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/459128-tested-playstation-4-hard-drive-vs-ssd-vs-hybrid-drive/

Btw, my worry here is that SSHDD could be making the initial load times longer on the account of spending time to copy the data being loaded to SSD. Then the next time you load that, it would be much faster. Now, I realize that this would be a pretty stupid way to design an SSHDD, but I just don't know how they exactly work (my guess is that HDD->SDD copy only happens when the drive is not doing anything for X minutes or something.

Nakor

I can't believe no one has supplied the load times for the default 500gb HDD for comparison.

Testing methods will vary, but here are mine:
Code:
PS4 Benchmark Results
	Boots are with autologin enabled

Beep to XMB (Cold boot):
	STOCK:	24s

Beep to XMB (Standby):
	STOCK:	27s

Resogun (Digital) (Start to main menu - skipping with X):
	STOCK:	19s

AC4:BF (Digital) (Start to main menu - skipping wtih X):
	STOCK:	20s
Testing my Seagate SSHD tomorrow

jimbob1971

Neo Member
Lord Error,

Interesting! Thanks, I look forward to seeing your SSHD results.

Regarding Killzone, I'm having a weird time with it. The stock drive even managed 42 secs on a few occasions, matching both the SSHD and the SSD. Yes, I did double check it was the stock drive! :D Plus there is the huge SSD/SSHD times I sometimes get. Maybe you can see if you can reproduce the uber load time which may be to do with overwriting the save with one from the cloud.

Regarding the SSHD, the load times on some games (BF4, NFS) are longer than stock. In the case of BF4 the SSD was so near to the stock times that I'm wondering if there is some other bottleneck that is homogenizing the results.

jimbob1971

Neo Member
I can't believe no one has supplied the load times for the default 500gb HDD for comparison.
There are quite a few people who have, they just haven't been included in the chart.

The results are all timed a different way anyway, so a comparison between one drive and another gives skewed results unless a) we have a video or b) stock times on the same machine are included.

Frankly I've done a bunch of tests and the load times can differ a good 10-20% on any given drive, not just the SSHD. Take anyone's reading with a pinch of salt.

DBT85

Going to add both of these to the OP as well, thanks.

I ran some stock HDD tests this afternoon. Ran each test 3 times, average time is in bold.

Edit: And yes my PS4 boots faster from full off than it does from standby.

Testing methods will vary, but here are mine:
[
Testing my Seagate SSHD tomorrow

I have some figures for a Stock drive, a Crucial M500 960GB and a Seagate 1TB SSHD.

When running a couple of games on the M500, the Bluray made a lot of noises and eventually I received a CE-34878-0 error. When I tried to play NFS Rivals the bluray disk would spin up, then down, then up, then down.... Eventually I moved the PS4 and the bluray noises seemed to stop.

All games here are physical copies.

I'd like to point out that I have no idea why Killzone on the M500 was taking so long initially. There is clearly something wrong with my Bluray, or my Killzone disk, or the mounting cage of the HD. (See Killzone results - The other results may need updating based on 'upside down' find )

Anyone able to take a shot and guess what this is? Dodgy disk? Dodgy optical drive?

Firstly, I can only apologise once more for being so shoddy with my own thread. Going through a lot right now so just haven't had the chance to update or even test my own times.

Thank you very much for your contributions. I've added times where appropriate and omitted some where they are close enough to already submitted times or where I can't confirm the drive you used. I also thank you for detailing how you calculated the times.

I've added a couple of columns for times with splash screens skipped, and also added a column for Killzone game load time on You have the Intel.

The latest scores on the doors are as follows.

MHkARDj.png

I'm really hoping to get my tests done this week, with videos.

If anyone can think of other game load tests that are easily reproducible and sizeable let me know and I can create a separate chart for those as this is getting quite sprawling.

If people can please submit times like the guys above did. If you skipped the splash screens say so, and tell us how you got the time. I'm not interested in times that only go to the first splash screen of a game or the PS logo on boot. I can't do anything at a splash screen.

Best of all is a video, because I can look at it and get a time myself and measure it the same way every time.

Tux

Seagate 750GB Momentus XL STBD750100 7200 RPM (SSHD)

KillZone INSTALL from Physical Copy: Completes in 1:05* (KillZone Game Start Menu)

*Allows you to start game while cut-scene is happening and patch 1.05 has already downloaded and waiting for me in Download Queue; but not installing it. Start version 1.00 and first level will load in background while you watch cut scene for first chapter. Again, from install to actual start playing game takes 1:05.

After Killzone has been installed the time to actually start playing game: 14.5 seconds (Killzone "Continue Campaign Menu")

Knack Start up from Digital Copy: 1:14 (Start game until I get a "Press Start" game menu)

Resogun Start up from Digital Copy: 00:48 (Waits until start menu shows up)
Resogun Start up from Digital Copy: 00:40 (Press X to skip splash screens; then menu shows up)

Battlefield 4 from Digital Copy: 00:30 from start, skipping splash screens until "Press Options Button to Continue" Menu.
Battlefield 4 from Digital Copy: 00:38 from start, skipping splash screens until "Press Options Button to Continue" Menu + Loading to "Start/Continue Campaign Menu"

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Lord Error,

Interesting! Thanks, I look forward to seeing your SSHD results.

Regarding Killzone, I'm having a weird time with it. The stock drive even managed 42 secs on a few occasions, matching both the SSHD and the SSD. Yes, I did double check it was the stock drive! :D Plus there is the huge SSD/SSHD times I sometimes get. Maybe you can see if you can reproduce the uber load time which may be to do with overwriting the save with one from the cloud.

Regarding the SSHD, the load times on some games (BF4, NFS) are longer than stock. In the case of BF4 the SSD was so near to the stock times that I'm wondering if there is some other bottleneck that is homogenizing the results.
OK, I've done measurements now, and I'm seeing a definitive decrease in load times with Seagate SSHDD on that one KZ level. With stock drive and downloaded version of the game, I was usually getting 55s on 1st time I load the level, and 51s on repeat load. Never anything less than that. I see in the chart above, and what you wrote that 44-42s load times are possible, but I have no idea how, as I've never seen anything close to that with the stock drive. Maybe it's possible that disc based version of the game can sometimes load faster because it loads from disc and from HDD at the same time, and maybe that's the reason the load times can be longer sometimes as well. Maybe BR disc makes things unpredictable.

Now with SSHDD, I'm seeing 44-45s load time on first run, and 41s on subsequent loads. It's very consistent, I tested with each drive probably ten times now. Again, this is with downloaded version of the game, and nothing else happening in the background.

I have also tried loading this level with SSHDD when only first 7GB was downloaded and the rest of the game was downloading in the background. In that case (with secondary disk activity going on) the load time for this level with SSDHD was 55s on first run, and 51s on subsequent loads, pretty much the same as stock would do when no other activity is happening.

Mrbob

I see no reviews or availability anywhere else. The WD hybrid drive is brand new.

16GB NAND is nice. Double of the Seagate drive.

Be the guinea pig and let us know!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I am thinking about buying a 1TB samsung 840 evo ssd for ps4

Is there something I should know in advance besides price.

Thanks in advance
If you ask me, there's a bottleneck somewhere else in the system, or in games structure and the SSD doesn't yield the load time increases anywhere near what you'd expect from it. If you're buying something so costly as 1TB SSD I'd really look over the number here carefully first. Load times fluctuate, they're different for different users, and sometimes results make almost no sense in relation of HDD <-> SSD load times. At best it looks like you shave off 1-2 seconds here and there compared to SSHDD or sometimes not even that.

youngoz

Neo Member
I see no reviews or availability anywhere else. The WD hybrid drive is brand new.

16GB NAND is nice. Double of the Seagate drive.

Be the guinea pig and let us know!

after some google research on this HDD its actually not recommended for the PS4 because I found out the WD drive requires a software driver to use the NAND. Seagate and Toshiba drives do not require this.

If you ask me, there's a bottleneck somewhere else in the system, or in games structure and the SSD doesn't yield the load time increases anywhere near what you'd expect from it. If you're buying something so costly as 1TB SSD I'd really look over the number here carefully first. Load times fluctuate, they're different for different users, and sometimes results make almost no sense in relation of HDD <-> SSD load times. At best it looks like you shave off 1-2 seconds here and there compared to SSHDD or sometimes not even that.

Interesting.

I wanted the best option and welcomed speed improvements.

I honestly just want a much larger hdd.

Just want best options available

jimbob1971

Neo Member
Lord Error,

Cheers! Decent results there with the 41secs SSHD load. I'm generally getting about 38-39 with the SSD though did go as low as 35 one time.

The 42 secs for stock was weird. I also had 45 for it a few times, but usually 50-55. Maybe you are right about BR loading.

Shame you can't try and replicate the long load times it had. I had to do a complete reinstall. Maybe someone else can time an SSD/SSHD for that level, save to the cloud. Reinstall the game and overwrite the save with the one on the cloud. That is how I got a whopping 1 min 50 for SSD/SSHD on that level. Right now I don't know if this is widespread, if it is a BR issue or just my machine.

Regarding a bottleneck.... Yeah I agree. We need more SSD results though. I'm contemplating selling my SSD and sticking with SSHD. Mind you, the day after I sell Sony will no doubt patch the system to unlock mega speed! :-D Who knows, maybe they have tuned things for the stock drive. As I say, more results are needed. Doesn't help that I'm using a physical copy too.

Falaut

I tried putting in a Corsair F120 last night knowing full well that Sony says it needs to be a minimum of 160GB. No go unfortunately. Probably going to end up with the MZ-7TE250BW.

In that table the cold boot for the PS4 is 36 seconds.... what the hell? Mine is usually 23-26 seconds... never more than that.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Shame you can't try and replicate the long load times it had. I had to do a complete reinstall. Maybe someone else can time an SSD/SSHD for that level, save to the cloud. Reinstall the game and overwrite the save with the one on the cloud. That is how I got a whopping 1 min 50 for SSD/SSHD on that level. Right now I don't know if this is widespread, if it is a BR issue or just my machine.
If I'm reading this right, that's pretty much exactly what I've done today when I measured those times. The important difference is that I was not installing from the disc, but downloading and playing (play-go system) instead. Here's what I've done:

- Installed a new HDD.
- Downloaded first 7GB of KZ, enough to start playing
- Restored save from the cloud
- Timed loading of Ch2.2 to be 55s the first time, 50s on subsequent loads.

I assume these longer loading times were due to major part of the game downloading and saving to HDD while I was loading the game at the same time. After the whole game was downloaded, it settled to 45s the first time, 41s on subsequent loads.

jimbob1971

Neo Member
Ok, thanks for that. You obviously aren't experiencing the same thing as me on the SSD/SSHD where loads are well over 1 min 30, until something happens to fix it. (Looking at you, bluray!) As I mentioned, I haven't seen these long load times with the stock drive bizarrely.

Tux

What about this HDD? its a WD hybrid with 16GB of NAND.... size 2.5 should fit but not too sure...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281201174770?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I can't find any reviews on that drive. Just an ebay listing and one article.

Found a new 1TB WD SSHD + 120GB Hybrid. Expensive though. $250-$300. The WD Black²™ Hard Drives ( WD1001X06XDTL). It's a 5400 RPM just like the Seagate 1TB ST1000LM014.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236642

knitoe

Nakor

Ok here are my tests with the Seagate 1TB

Code:
PS4 Benchmark Results
	Comparing: Stock and SSHD (Seagate ST1000LM014)
	Boots are with autologin enabled

Beep to XMB (Cold boot):
	STOCK:	24s
	SSHD: 	19s, 18.5s, 18.5s

Beep to XMB (Standby):
	STOCK:	27s
	SSHD:	

Resogun (Digital) (Start to main menu - skipping):
	STOCK:	19s
	SSHD: 	17s, 17s, 16s, 16s

AC4:BF (Digital) (Start to main menu - skipping):
	STOCK:	20s
	SSHD: 	18s, 17s, 17s

The reason I havn't included my Standby SSHD results is because I'm getting strange results. (Nothing is downloading, but it boots from beep to XMB in 3 or 7 seconds depending on how long I wait before turning it back on, 3 is ~30s wait, 7 is ~20min wait)

Here are my settings that relate to Standby mode:
Code:
Supply Power from USB Ports: OFF
Connect to the internet: ON
Enable turning on frm network: ON

Enable automatic downloads and uploads: ON
What I'm doing at the moment is leaving it on standby for 30 mins with ethernet unplugged before I try turning it on again.

edit; I don't know what's going on, I turned off Automatic downloads and uploads, and pulled the ethernet. Waited 40 mins. Still a 7-8s Standby boot.

Johnny,

Not sure how much you'd see in streaming performance since the data rates over your ISP probably won't make that much difference. What the 7200 RPM offers over the 5400 RPM (SSHD or HDD) is mainly in the write speeds; not reads. Thus, when you start-up/boot a game most of the time the PS3/PS4 was just reading the data from the 8GB SSD cache (hybrid drives) or the standard HDD drive itself. That's why the Hybrid 5400 performance is mostly equal to the same hybrid 7200 RPM versions. Both are doing reads most of the time (boot up tests and starting up games).

Since the PS4 doesn't allow me to copy large files form an external USB 2.0 or 3.0 7200 RPM external drive I can't do write testing (files larger than 8GB). I'd suspect that the only times you'll notice any differences is when installing games. But then again, that too is limited to the bottleneck of the 6x Blu-ray drive. :(

So, to avoid all this ruckus, I'd say that it's just best get the Hitachi 1TB HGST 7K1000 (HDD) and be done with it until you can save up for a larger SSD.

Then, the fun starts when people start debating NAND types! :D

What I meant by streaming, is streaming of textures. In games like Rage the pop-in is greatly reduced if you put a SSD in.

With PS3 Rage was a rare example of a game benefiting by having a SSD, cause most games only installed a small portion of the game to the HDD and still read from the bluray disk. With PS4, if I'm not mistaken, they don't read anything off the disk anymore, correct? I'm assuming thats why I see 35 and 39gb installs.

So i assumed SSD like performance would have a much more significant impact now with PS4. Similar to Rage(although I realize the tech in that game is quite different with its mega textures and what not).

Tux

What I meant by streaming, is streaming of textures. In games like Rage the pop-in is greatly reduced if you put a SSD in.

With PS3 Rage was a rare example of a game benefiting by having a SSD, cause most games only installed a small portion of the game to the HDD and still read from the bluray disk. With PS4, if I'm not mistaken, they don't read anything off the disk anymore, correct? I'm assuming thats why I see 35 and 39gb installs.

So i assumed SSD like performance would have a much more significant impact now with PS4. Similar to Rage(although I realize the tech in that game is quite different with its mega textures and what not).

Gottcha! If I remember correctly, the streaming data rates (40Mb/s to 53Mb/s) from the Blu-ray (2x) on the PS3 were much more important than it is today even though the PS4's Blu-ray is much faster (6x). This, obviously, does not compare to the data rate internal hard drives of HDD and SSD can achieve.

I'm sure the developers will take this into account and customize their engines to take advantage of this extra data rate improvement which will help the cross-platform development between the PC (which already used HDDs) and the PS4/XB1.

wizzbang

Banned
I'm not sure if I spend my first night with a PS4 benchmarking things just to give a big FUCK YOU bird to all the goons who questioned me about Playgo loading to HDD or to just enjoy my console for the first night :/

I really want to provide the big fuck you to the guys who don't have fundamental understanding of how optical drives work :/

wizzbang

Banned
<SNIP>
- Timed loading of Ch2.2 to be 55s the first time, 50s on subsequent loads.

I assume these longer loading times were due to major part of the game downloading and saving to HDD while I was loading the game at the same time. After the whole game was downloaded, it settled to 45s the first time, 41s on subsequent loads.

I've got into so many goddamn debates with people who just don't get the concept of "shit going on the in the background will slow stuff down, yes even if a special cpu is handling it" - good to see someone produce some evidence to back me up.

c0de

Did anyone connect the internal hdd to a linux, for example? Which file-system do they use? Is the data readable?

Tux

How do I re download all my DLC and stuff after Ive upgraded the HDD? I cant find a downloads list anywhere.

Once you've installed the firmware make sure you active your system as the primary PS4 if in fact you are the primary owner of the PS4 and not a sub-account user.

Make sure you are signed in to PSN. Then go to your "Library" and you should see your digital games (and other apps) listed there with little "down arrow" that lets you know that your games are in the cloud and not install yet.

Not sure if the DLC is auto downloaded for Blu-ray disc games. But I do know that patches will auto download after the game installs.

You might have to go to the PSN store and find the DLC for disc games. But I would think this is automated now. Not sure. There is a section in Settings > PSN > Restore Licenses if you need to refresh your PS4's license keys.

For my Assassins Creed Black Flag, my "Library" shows AC: BF, but also has "2 Add-Ons" listed on the icon before I download it.

The "Library" acts as the new download list (not to be confused with purchase history) -- which is in your Settings > PSN > Account Info…

Top Bottom