• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 HDD speed test thread (HDD/SSHD/SSD/STD)

Boke1879

Bought... might as well go all in on next gen. Wallet's cryin hard now.

Any one that'll fit? What do you mean "best"?

I should have phrased it better. Which screwdriver would fit for the screws in the PS4. I made the mistake of stripping the one on the PS3 and i don't want to make that same mistake again.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
My PSN account is PS+ but my girls is not. Should I be able to restore saves for both accounts?

You can always save to USB.
But I thought one primary account with PS+ extends it to all on that same system. See if it allows you to.
Maybe it's just the online gaming that is extended to all.

DigitalReborn

Neo Member
You can always save to USB.
But I thought one primary account with PS+ extends it to all on that same system. See if it allows you to.
Maybe it's just the online gaming that is extended to all.

I'll check it out when I'm home, but I should be able to transfer ALL saves to USB for both accounts?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'll check it out when I'm home, but I should be able to transfer ALL saves to USB for both accounts?

Yeah, though to be honest. I've never done it for two different accounts before, so I'm not sure if the system automatically realizes that.
If it were me, I'd probably use one flash drive for each account. (or just Cloud for primary, and USB for the other account)

jimbob1971

Neo Member
i only tested Chapter 2.1 (You have the Intel?)

i got 1 minute 39 seconds

i got this SSHD

quoting parts of my post here

Verdict for this SSHD is a no buy.

did anyone do the stock HDD time test? sorta need that to understand what's good/bad.
I don't know if you noticed my post above, but I was getting weird times for that level on an SSD and another Seagate. I reckon it is something to do with either the fit of the drives or the optical drive. My Seagate was giving me 1 min 20, 1 min 30 etc until I turned the PS4 upside down (!) and the loading time dropped to 40 seconds!

Similarly, the Crucial SSD dropped to approximately 35 seconds from, at worst, 1min 50 secs (!!!)

There is something decidely weird going on here, and I have no idea what it is. I've only seen these exaggerated load times on Killzone though, so I'm stumped as to whether my optical drive, the HDs or the Killzone disk are to blame. I should point out the PS4 is now the right way up, and the speeds are being maintained.

I don't know if you noticed my post above, but I was getting weird times for that level on an SSD and another Seagate. I reckon it is something to do with either the fit of the drives or the optical drive. My Seagate was giving me 1 min 20, 1 min 30 etc until I turned the PS4 upside down (!) and the loading time dropped to 40 seconds!

Similarly, the Crucial SSD dropped to approximately 35 seconds from, at worst, 1min 50 secs (!!!)

There is something decidely weird going on here, and I have no idea what it is. I've only seen these exaggerated load times on Killzone though, so I'm stumped as to whether my optical drive, the HDs or the Killzone disk are to blame. I should point out the PS4 is now the right way up, and the speeds are being maintained.

That's weird. Maybe the disc is screwy. Try another friend's copy if you can?

well it can't be the disk drive as it's not reading from there after install. i'll probably reseat the HDD another time maybe that was the case but doubt it.

jimbob1971

Neo Member
That's weird. Maybe the disc is screwy. Try another friend's copy if you can?
I don't have access to another disk alas. I.e. I don't have any friends! :) DMPrince reported a huge loading time for this level too.

well it can't be the disk drive as it's not reading from there after install. i'll probably reseat the HDD another time maybe that was the case but doubt it.
Did you run a downloaded copy then?

I'm not sure how the PS4 ensures there is a disk present during play, but I read an article saying loads are slower when using physical copies, even if fully installed. (See here http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Genera...u-ray-and-Download-HDD-Performance-Boot-Times ) The really weird thing is, I didn't notice any increase in load times for other games, and the issue was sorted by inverting the PS4. One other thing to note: the save was downloaded from the cloud after the game was installed.

Anyone else out there have this long load time for Killzone level ' you have the intel'?

EDIT: I'm not sure If I'm seeing the 2nd issue discussed here:-
http://uk.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PS4_Disc_Problems

I don't have access to another disk alas. I.e. I don't have any friends! :) DMPrince reported a huge loading time for this level too.

Did you run a downloaded copy then?

I'm not sure how the PS4 ensures there is a disk present during play, but I read an article saying loads are slower when using physical copies, even if fully installed. (See here http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Genera...u-ray-and-Download-HDD-Performance-Boot-Times ) The really weird thing is, I didn't notice any increase in load times for other games, and the issue was sorted by inverting the PS4. One other thing to note: the save was downloaded from the cloud after the game was installed.

Anyone else out there have this long load time for Killzone level ' you have the intel'?

EDIT: I'm not sure If I'm seeing the 2nd issue discussed here:-
http://uk.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/PS4_Disc_Problems
the only downloaded games i have is resogun and NFS, and soundshape. i think i did a time for both res and nfs already. which were longer than it should.

Hasney

Are there any 2TB drives that fit into the PS4 yet? All the ones I saw on Amazon.co.uk were 15mm tall.

My hard drive is 50% full already so I don't want to invest in a 1TB drive, then have to get a 2TB down the line.

wizzbang

Banned
I caved in, GAF, welcome me to 1TB SSD club (Samsung Evo)
I look forward to replacing it with a 2TB SSD in about ,......24 months.

Load times? Fuck you!

Are there any 2TB drives that fit into the PS4 yet? All the ones I saw on Amazon.co.uk were 15mm tall.

My hard drive is 50% full already so I don't want to invest in a 1TB drive, then have to get a 2TB down the line.

I've heard about someone who has installed a 15mm drive in, you just need to remove some kind of restraining cage inside the unit and slide it in without the traditional drive caddy - fits, works fine. He used the WD Green 15mm one, 2TB.

EDIT:
You can clearly see what he removed in this pic.
Playstation-4-658x370-32b194540fd678e1-610x343.jpg

I don't have loading times but I can recommend the SSHD to anybody. It's a pretty fast drive, all loadings aside from a very odd one every now and then are pretty damn quick.

mxgt

Banned
Just got a 1TB SSHD delivered today. Should've really got it at launch, 500GB really isn't enough for these consoles.

Hasney

I've heard about someone who has installed a 15mm drive in, you just need to remove some kind of restraining cage inside the unit and slide it in without the traditional drive caddy - fits, works fine. He used the WD Green 15mm one, 2TB.

EDIT:

Thanks, just read that these have a 9.5mm high drive in them though, even thought it's a USB drive:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FZU9JYI/

Swap that out with the 500GB in the PS4 and I've got a USB HDD too.

EDIT: Won't work, it's not a SATA connection... The 2.5 drives themselves should be coming next month though.

jimbob1971

Neo Member
Can we have more times please, especially for the Samsung Evo and 7k2 drives? There were a number of SSD buyers who have disappeared it seems....

It would be VERY handy if anyone timing things could do so on the stock drive first, make a note of how and where they timed, they do the upgraded drive. That way we can see the rough benefit, even if they don't time the same way as the other results that have already been posted.

wizzbang

Banned
Can we have more times please, especially for the Samsung Evo and 7k2 drives? There were a number of SSD buyers who have disappeared it seems....

It would be VERY handy if anyone timing things could do so on the stock drive first, make a note of how and where they timed, they do the upgraded drive. That way we can see the rough benefit, even if they don't time the same way as the other results that have already been posted.

Yeah very poor quantity of submitted information, I will be providing whatever I can when I get my Samsung Evo - but I'm only planning to play Resogun, Contrast, Killzone - maybe scope out a F2P and maybe Need for speed if I can find it for $30 or less.

Raist

Banned

EDIT:

Has anyone tried anything in between? The HDD cage looked like it can potentially accomodate 12.5mm drives.

Jezbollah

I don't have loading times but I can recommend the SSHD to anybody. It's a pretty fast drive, all loadings aside from a very odd one every now and then are pretty damn quick.

I second this. I bought a 1tb Seagate SSHD and it works great. I'm sure it'll be even better when the state based shutdown is implemented in the future.

mitchman

Gold Member
Has anyone tried anything in between? The HDD cage looked like it can potentially accomodate 12.5mm drives.

Only because the stock drive is only 7mm (apparently). I put in a 9.5mm and there really isn't much leftover space. I can do exact measurements if people ask nicely with sugar on :)

mekes

Spinpoint M9T 2TB HDD is releasing soon, I'm not aware of an exact date tho. 9.5mm tall so will fit just fine. 5400RPM so similar kind of speeds to the stock drive, which I don't find bad as I haven't been put off by any load times on the stock drive as yet.

Metfanant

Jumped on the HGST 7200 HDD this afternoon from Amazon for $70...will be here Friday...

I'm not overly concerned with a few seconds of load time...but the extra storage and maybe a little performance going from 5400 to 7200 will be great at that price point...

FrankWza

not one of these tests i have seen are done too well. these websites put up 3 drives for testing and 3 games. none of them tried a 7200 rpm drive. also, there is no mention of temp running higher or lower with any of the drives. anyone find a really good comparison with definitive numbers?

ckohler

Do 7200rpm drives run hotter than 5200rpm? And how hot do SSD or SSHD drives get?

Heat would be an important factor, I would think.

Edit: Beaten by the previous post.

MercuryLS

Banned
Just updated my PS4 with the 1tb SSHD. This thing is pretty quick already even with just the boot up.

Painless install and update process. Very happy with this thing. 1tb should be plenty for this gen (for me).

Mikey Jr.

So when I get my new drive, do I have to do something in the PS4 before I install the new HDD? Like deactivate the PS4 or something? Or is it just a simple swap?

Tobor

So when I get my new drive, do I have to do something in the PS4 before I install the new HDD? Like deactivate the PS4 or something? Or is it just a simple swap?

Make sure your saves have been uploaded to the online storage. That's all I did.

One weird quirk, you can't pull your saves back down until the game has begun installing/downloading. Insert the game disc, and you can then immediately pull down the save.

Gonna install my Seagate 1TB SSHD later today. I'll upload my saves to the cloud and and then reformat the 500GB. Is there anything I should do before that, though? Deactivate any accounts?

Nakor

Weekend project will be to buy, install, and benchmark the Seagate SSHD and post results here :) Will also benchmark with my stock HDD beforehand.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Are there any drives in the works with more than the 8GB NAND cache? I was excited at first with the 128GB on the WD Black hybrid, but it turned out to just be two separate drives in one enclosure.

wizzbang

Banned
I've got a PC Gamer guy at work SO worked up over me putting a 1TB SSD in the PS4, it's hilarious, he's so angry "it's waste" "you're trolling me" "I don't believe you" so.much.fun.

Many speed
such ssd
amaze ♥
(now if only my PS4 would ship so I could actually do it)

mylasthope

Neo Member
I've got a PC Gamer guy at work SO worked up over me putting a 1TB SSD in the PS4, it's hilarious, he's so angry "it's waste" "you're trolling me" "I don't believe you" so.much.fun.

Many speed
such ssd
amaze ♥

Haha. That's awesome. Can't believe it bothers him so much. It's your money. You get to decided how you want to spend it.

AwRy108

Gonna install my Seagate 1TB SSHD later today. I'll upload my saves to the cloud and and then reformat the 500GB. Is there anything I should do before that, though? Deactivate any accounts?

I deactivated my accounts, but just as a safety measure.

Don't forget that you'll need to download the full System Software from here and drop it on to a USB stick.

Can someone save me from reading all these pages and tell me what seems to be the consensus on best hard drive? I would forever be grateful!

Price isn't an issue.

dubq

Have you noticed anything different, as some sites say it can cause your console to overheat?

I haven't noticed any heat difference at all. Loading is definitely speedy, though!

Has there ever been any evidence that a 7200rpm drive has caused a console to overheat? I've heard it as a "warning" but I've never heard of a case of it actually happening.

LAM09

I haven't noticed any heat difference at all. Loading is definitely speedy, though!

Has there ever been any evidence that a 7200rpm drive has caused a console to overheat? I've heard it as a "warning" but I've never heard of a case of it actually happening.

Me neither mate, but it should be straight forward as it obviously uses more power. I think the affect it has on PS3/4 has been exaggerated though, but I haven't taken the leap personally.

viveks86

Many speed
such ssd
amaze ♥

LOL! Tell him that you aren't the only one either ;)

Can someone save me from reading all these pages and tell me what seems to be the consensus on best hard drive? I would forever be grateful!

Price isn't an issue.
1TB samsung evo. SSD

What he said. But only if you truly mean it when you say "price is not an issue".

Top Bottom