• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 HDD speed test thread (HDD/SSHD/SSD/STD)

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can I use the PS4 drive in my old PS3? I installed a 1.5TB into the PS4, and now I have an empty 500 gig drive.

Also, is there a quick way to transfer all save game data off the PS3 HDD onto a memory stick? Or do I need to pick each file individually to transfer?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Can someone post some level loading times with Killzone? Don't post just boot times because the majority of the loading in the game happens after you press "continue campaign" for example. I'm realy curious what the SSD or SSHDD will do for the level load time in this game.

Can I use the PS4 drive in my old PS3? I installed a 1.5TB into the PS4, and now I have an empty 500 gig drive.

Also, is there a quick way to transfer all save game data off the PS3 HDD onto a memory stick? Or do I need to pick each file individually to transfer?
To the first question, yes, just throw that old PS4 HDD into your PS3. I did this over the weekend, after much procrastination.

As for the second, yes. Choose the PS3's System Backup option in the XMB.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Am I right in assuming that if the PS4 fails for any reason and I send it to Sony for service it will need to contain the original hard drive?

DrunkDan

I got mine from Pixmania for £77.99 and it came within a couple of days
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/2-5-inch-...-1-tb-8-gb-flash-internal-2-5/21336206-a.html

It looks like it is only available at that price for 11 more hours though.

Yeah that's where I ordered mine from too, and at the time of ordering Amazon UK didn't have any in stock. They must have got some in then price matched (and now beaten too). Good news for everybody really anyway. Seems to be the best non SSD drive to choose from the sound of it.

Now we just wait.

nib95

Banned
My Seagate 1TB SSD should be arriving tomorrow. Amazon refunded me for the missing 7200rpm drive. Be interesting if it does eventually turn up, though I doubt it lol.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Awesome, thanks.

I hear that a standard philips head screwdriver won't work on the PS3 HDD screw? What screwdriver do I need for it?
Get the biggest philips screwdriver that you can that has the tip that will insert into that screw, preferably without any wobble when inserted. You need more torque than you'd expect to unscrew that screw the first time, and it's much easier to strip it with a small screwdriver that has too small of a tip.

Second biggest one on this picture would probably be best for example: http://www.muchbuy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/screwdrivers.jpg

Tonidayo

Ok guys so i'm confused, there are two files to download, but should i download them both or simply the 800 MB, considering i'm one of those who are changing the HDD before first launch.

Nakor

Ok guys so i'm confused, there are two files to download, but should i download them both or simply the 800 MB, considering i'm one of those who are changing the HDD before first launch.

The 1.00 to 1.50/1.51 patches are about 300MB, use that if you're keeping stock.
The 1.51 update is the full OS and is about 800MB, use that if you're changing HDD.

I am currently using a 7200rpm 1 terabyte HDD in my PS4. I would just like to say the following, not having calculated any comparison times:

- I haven't had any issues with waiting terribly long to play stuff.
- Resogun loaded incredibly fast.
- Killzone installed, from the disc, really fast.

I haven't tested out any downloaded big name games as I don't plan to own any for a huge while. But the terabyte is almost necessary. Having installed the HDD alone I saw the available space was 800 something GB. This means there are 100+ allocated for what I assume are various reasons. Then Killzone is 39 GB, alongside smaller games which are 1 to 4 GB.

If you HAVE to go with a 2TB HDD, I would suggest to wait until there's one that's at least 7200 rpm. I can't see people needing 2 TB in the foreseeable future unless you're one of those people that downloads every major game and never deletes game installs for whatever reason.

Then again I was able to survive with a 20 GB HDD in my 360 for all these years. Maybe I'm just faster at deleting stuff.

Can someone post some level loading times with Killzone? Don't post just boot times because the majority of the loading in the game happens after you press "continue campaign" for example. I'm realy curious what the SSD or SSHDD will do for the level load time in this game.

i only tested Chapter 2.1 (You have the Intel?)

i got 1 minute 39 seconds

i got this SSHD

quoting parts of my post here

boot from cold to menu (when first icon shows): 22
boot from standby to menu (when first icon shows) 24 seconds
NFS (Digital) XMB to Press X: 33 seconds
BF4 (Physical) XMB to Press Option Button: 45 seconds
Resogun: XMB to Press X: 25 Second
AC4 (Physical) XMB to Press X: 37 Seconds

Verdict for this SSHD is a no buy.

did anyone do the stock HDD time test? sorta need that to understand what's good/bad.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

i got this SSHD

quoting parts of my post here

did anyone do the stock HDD time test? sorta need that to understand what's good/bad.
It's the chapter that begins with you looking at the Visari statue, right? So it's technically chapter 2.2? From the moment I pressed the X button when selecting that chapter difficulty to the moment I could play, I timed it to 55s using stock HDD. I repeated the test another time, and it was 49s, because I'm guessing some of it might have been cached in HDD's cache. Quit the game, restarted it and repeated test, and I got 55s again. I'm playing the download version of KZ, not sure if that makes a difference.

No idea why your load time was that much worse, but now I really wish someone with EVO SSD would test this. These initial chapter load times in KZ are the only thing on PS4 so far where the load times are longer than I'd like. Once the game starts though, load times are masked by cutscenes so it's not an issue anymore.

It's the chapter that begins with you looking at the Visari statue, right? So it's technically chapter 2.2? From the moment I pressed the X button when selecting that chapter difficulty to the moment I could play, I timed it to 55s using stock HDD. I repeated the test another time, and it was 49s, because I'm guessing some of it might have been cached in HDD's cache. Quit the game, restarted it and repeated test, and I got 55s again. I'm playing the download version of KZ, not sure if that makes a difference.

No idea why your load time was that much worse, but now I really wish someone with EVO SSD would test this. These initial chapter load times in KZ are the only thing on PS4 so far where the load times are longer than I'd like. Once the game starts though, load times are masked by cutscenes so it's not an issue anymore.
Intel one starts with you on the cliff before dropping down to two guys
Basically the second one on chapter two. Because the first was just masking the load rather than show the black screen

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Basically the second one on chapter two. Because the first was just masking the load rather than show the black screen
Yep, that's the one I measured. No idea why I got so much shorter load times than you did.

th4tguy

Anyone test 7200rpm drives yet?

Here are the videos showing the different boot times using a HGST Travelstar 7k1000 2.5-inch 1tb 7200rpm sata iii HDD.
All apps that are run are the digital versions of the game. I tried to time the videos from when the game starts loading to when I can hit a button to "enter" the game. Some of the times are provided by youtube commenter Zachary Gray. I also don't skip any of the intros in my figures.

PS4 Cold Boot: 17.5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm0leNcOz_U

Blacklight: Retribution: 34 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEuR-P4y6cM

Warframe: 36 seconds (starts after update check)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMpih2n124s

Flower: 17 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRU3Nvo-iSU

DC: Universe: 35 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTwXFGSSXVc

Contrast: 14 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Sib1EqVP4

Assassin's Creed 4: 31 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbYrhrGNTAw

Kilzone: Shadowfall: 8 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x58mZ9hWdhA

COD: Ghost: 11.3 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqHC6PjPh9g

jimbob1971

Neo Member

i got this SSHD

Interesting.

Other people have suggested figures for this drive which are good, so it suggests something is going on here. Anyone with a Seagate 1tb check these figures? Faulty drive? Even the cold boot times seem a bit long for this drive. I think you mentioned you had some freezes too....

This seemed the best choice. Your results muddy the water somewhat. Drat!

Rainy Dog

If I'm going to replace my PS4 hard drive before I even switch it on for the first time, do I need anything else other than a screwdriver and the latest system update on a USB stick?

Also, how long does the OS/update installation process take roughly? I'm hoping to pick mine up at 7am on Friday morning, fly back home, stick in the new HD, install the OS and set a game downloading all within an hour before heading into work.

wizzbang

Banned
1YkMU3S.png

I'm really looking forward to a LOT more data being in that chart, it's lacking a lot of datapoints unfortunately :/
I'll be happy to update with information from a Crucial M4 SSD in about 2 weeks. Intention is to fully install my games before running them. None of this PlayGo business.

Interesting.

Other people have suggested figures for this drive which are good, so it suggests something is going on here. Anyone with a Seagate 1tb check these figures? Faulty drive? Even the cold boot times seem a bit long for this drive. I think you mentioned you had some freezes too....

This seemed the best choice. Your results muddy the water somewhat. Drat!
it might be because of the 8mb cache. or a bad drive. hm. i think i should return it. how do i complete wipe the HDD before returning?

So is there any sort of general consensus on which sort of drive is getting the best results yet?

I'd like to upgrade in the near future but I'm looking for a good balance of speed, size and price. I can't afford a large SSD due to them continuing to hold their price well and I'd have to be raising the storage to 1TB at least. Is 2TB even compatible with the PS4?

Also I would be looking to get a decent speed bump while I'm at it of course. Any suggestions from you guys? Price is less of an issue but an extremely large SSD is definitely out of the question

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
So is there any sort of general consensus on which sort of drive is getting the best results yet?

I'd like to upgrade in the near future but I'm looking for a good balance of speed, size and price. I can't afford a large SSD due to them continuing to hold their price well and I'd have to be raising the storage to 1TB at least. Is 2TB even compatible with the PS4?

Also I would be looking to get a decent speed bump while I'm at it of course. Any suggestions from you guys? Price is less of an issue but an extremely large SSD is definitely out of the question

Seagate ST1000LM014 SSHD is for you

I thought that was the one you had TBH. Looking at this, aren't they the same?

http://www.amazon.com/difference-ST...cd_dp_aar_al_a?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B00BSH3CCC

idk. the one i have i saw on spec mention 8mb cache. the M104 says 64mb cache.

if it's the same i'll just return the one i had earlier back to Best buy.

EDIT: youre right. just saw it on seagate site. wtf.

EDIT2; just canceled and it went through. whew. now i can use that money on a different drive LOL

DBT85

I'm really looking forward to a LOT more data being in that chart, it's lacking a lot of datapoints unfortunately :/
I'll be happy to update with information from a Crucial M4 SSD in about 2 weeks. Intention is to fully install my games before running them. None of this PlayGo business.

As am I. Tomorrow I'll update with the times provided recently and then at the weekend I'll be doing some tests myself.

Would have been nice if a few of the SSD guys that have one already had come back but never mind.

Brohan

So whats the consensus, 7200 rpm hdd or seagate sshd?

Think it depends on your playstyle, if you jump between alot of different games often the SSHD kinda loses a bit of it's advantage.

I'm going with the SSHD cuz i usually play a game until it is finished, 2 at most, 1 sp and 1 mp.

As am I. Tomorrow I'll update with the times provided recently and then at the weekend I'll be doing some tests myself.

Would have been nice if a few of the SSD guys that have one already had come back but never mind.

can we have a google spreadsheet (private) so we can update ourselves? that would be easier maybe?

Top Bottom