• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Neo presentation might have leaked

anothertech

I tried to visualize the upcoming roadmap of both platforms, based on a 3 year cycle for PS iterative model and 4 years for XBOX.

roadmapps_xboxa3u46.jpg

Now, obviously this is just an educated guess and obviously, things may turn out entirely different, but if you follow this line of thinking, I think there are some nice conclusions which can be deduced from this.

Most important is the clear positioning of the PS Neo SKUs as intermediary / beefed-up SKUs of their predecessors, while Scorpio seems to be more like a hybrid between a beefed up and a complete new gen console. That's why I called Scorpio's successor XBOX 5.

Furthermore, the different approach leads in a constant stream of new consoles within the next years, the biggest gap beeing the time between PS5 and PS5 Neo / XBOX 5 (3 years).
This is my thought process as well. No telling if things will continue this way. But you can see, this lets PlayStation fans to upgrade continuously ahead of Xbox, while still keeping similar hardware specs.

@milky- didn't realize anyone already owned the Neo at this point. Please, let us know the final specs of Sonys new hardware! Put this speculation to rest good sir! lol

Synth

If Sony updates on a 3 year schedule, and MS at 4, Sony will always be a few steps ahead. That's a smarter hand played IMO.

Or a few steps behind. If the upgrade cycles fall out of sync, then there's nothing that makes Sony's releases the defacto next-generation each time around.

Hydrargyrus

The Scorpio is not a delayed reaction to neo, both manufacturers probably had to make a decision soon after the one/ps4 launch.

Yeah, that's why they have announced it more than a year before without any specs except "uncompressed pixels" and the 6TF... absolutely nothing related with PS4Neo

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Or a few steps behind. If the upgrade cycles fall out of sync, then there's nothing that makes Sony's releases the defacto next-generation each time around.

If Sony is the only one that keeps generational standards of non forward compatibility for numbered units, they will decide what is a new gen for third parties if MS demands forwards compatibility going forward in all circumstances.

My guess is PS5 in late 2019 or 2020, but MS seems to want to destroy their own concept of generations entirely, so they could put out a scorpio 1.1, 1.2 1.3 ect as fast as they want really, its just a matter of having their software compatible with every unit and just having marginal fps and res increases.

anothertech

It's the timing game. And Sony seems to have MS beat at every turn since 2013.

GDDR5 beat them this Gen.
Coming to market first will likely help in the Neo/Scorpio Gen.
PS5 will be a full generational leap in 2018.
Ps5 Neo will be on par with what xbone2 offers.

You have to see the hands here in Sony's favor if they keep playing it right. That said, anyone of these companies can royally screw up if they make the wrong move at some point. No one is immune to mistakes. (Like MS in 2013.)

You have to see the hands here in Sony's favor if they keep playing it right. That said, anyone of these companies can royally screw up if they make the wrong move at some point. No one is immune to mistakes. (Like MS in 2013.)

The next gen leap won't be here until Navi/7nm process. Along with post - HBM2 RAM, it should produce a significant performance boost. Neo and Scorpio are more of a brute force upgrades.

Who says that there will be a PS5 in 2018? A completly new gen wont happen for a while after this upgrades are out.

I dont expect a new gen until 2021 at all.

Neo and Scorpio will extend the Lifespan greatly.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Patches for existing ones may grant your wish, but your dream is likely to stay a dream for new titles. On most titles developers have shown that they'd prefer to add more detail, more draw distance, more effects over a higher frame rate. That won't change with the new consoles as many have pointed out. Of course there are genres and specific games that are exceptions, but open world titles have generally focused on more scope and more detail over "twitch" gaming where 60fps is strictly necessary.

Spending twice as much time rendering a frame produces better screen shots to promote your game with. That's an extremely powerful incentive.

The issue for some people is that they seem to be missing the key reason why you can push those games to almost 4K resolution and/or 60 FPS one modern high end PC setups: Multiplatform games cater console specs for their base look and feel and once PC specs surpass the console ones by a decent margin and games still cater to consoles it becomes easy to grab the low hanging detour of higher frame rate on your expensive power hungrier PC.

Expecting PS4 Neo or Scorpio to have all 60 FPS titles misses the point that those consoles would just be the baseline for the new titles exclusive to them.

Still, titles that only do get Neo/Scorpio enhancement and are not exclusive to them may go for the cheaper PC like bump in resolution and FPS.

this lets PlayStation fans to upgrade continuously ahead of Xbox, while still keeping similar hardware specs.

Not always. Scorpio should have the power-crown for approx. two years for example (2017-2019), then PS5 arrives which by all means should be the most powerful one for the next two years, until XBOX 5 and PS5 Neo arrive. Obviously, those are too far in the future to make any predictions which one will be faster, if they ever launch in the first place.

This isn't anything close to a smartphone future though. You're not going to get yearly refreshes of consoles.The business can't facilitate that.

Yup, a min. 3 year cycle is not even close to the mobile business. And 4 year cycles for example are already well-known in the video games industry. See recent Nintendo and XBOX consoles.

The new time frames aren't the big game changers here. The forward (!) compatibility of PS4 Neo and Scorpio are.

Synth

If Sony is the only one that keeps generational standards of non forward compatibility for numbered units, they will decide what is a new gen for third parties if MS demands forwards compatibility going forward in all circumstances.

My guess is PS5 in late 2019 or 2020, but MS seems to want to destroy their own concept of generations entirely, so they could put out a scorpio 1.1, 1.2 1.3 ect as fast as they want really, its just a matter of having their software compatible with every unit and just having marginal fps and res increases.

Perpetual forwards compatibility won't happen, and isn't even worth entertaining the thought of. That'd be like having a PS4 where all games need to be playable on a PS1. The forwards compatibility of the Scorpio exists for the same reason it does for the Neo (and even then it doesn't extend to VR). It's backwards compatibility that will extend on into the future.

I mean, stop and think about it. If forwards compatibility was gonna be a thing, it'd hold the PS5,6,7,etc back as well as the Xbox One would remain the base level spec for multiplat. It's nonsense.

Since 2013? That's a single gen, and one that they notably lucked out with in regards to the RAM. The very previous gen they were a year later and had the majority of multiplat software run worse...

We don't know enough about either the Neo or Scorpio to act like one is the correct jump vs the other. You don't know a PS5 is happening in 2018 (which would be the quickest a PS successor has ever launched since the PS2), and you don't know when a new Xbox would release or how it'd compare with a theoretical PS5 Neo (that'd be tethered to the PS5 in the way the PS4 Neo is to the PS4).

The only way all these things work as definitely being in Sony's favour and definitely means they're ahead of the game rather than either behind or premature (think Sega), is because you imagine them to be... which is hardly an impartial way to look at it.

Don't you think 3 years between consoles is pushing it a bit value for money wise?

Given Neo is mid-generation upgrade, why is 4 years magically "OK", but 3 years is an affront to the the Console Gods? Seems arbitrary.

I think we're all so used to arguing over specs around traditional generation cycles we keep forgetting we're in largely uncharted territory, there are no time tested rules here.

If Neo is priced within spitting distance of what a vanilla PS4 is currently, it's going to be hard to argue that it's a cash grab when it's a solid upgrade over a regular PS4 at roughly a similar price point.

jdmonmou

Who says that there will be a PS5 in 2018? A completly new gen wont happen for a while after this upgrades are out.

I dont expect a new gen until 2021 at all.

Neo and Scorpio will extend the Lifespan greatly.

I think Sony probably will release the PS5 Holiday 2018 to respond to Scorpio. Scorpio will be more powerful than NEO, so it will be a great opportunity for Sony to take away Microsoft's claim that Scorpio is the most powerful console. Scorpio won't be able to hit 60 FPS at 4K, but by Holiday 2018 Sony may produce an affordable console that does exactly that. If they make the PS5 backwards compatible with PS4 then it will influence a lot of people to upgrade day 1.

Forget forwards compatibility. PS5 games shouldn't be held back by making it mandatory to work on PS4, so on launch there should be quite a few PS5 exclusive titles.

Also, I think Sony will have to make a new console since I think the PS4 NEO will not sell well. This is because not many people own 4K TVs and people will still choose the regular PS4 model over the NEO because of price.

I think Sony probably will release the PS5 Holiday 2018 to respond to Scorpio. Scorpio will be more powerful than NEO, so it will be a great opportunity for Sony to take away Microsoft's claim that Scorpio is the most powerful console. Scorpio won't be able to hit 60 FPS at 4K, but by Holiday 2018 Sony may produce an affordable console that does exactly that. If they make the PS5 backwards compatible with PS4 then it will influence a lot of people to upgrade day 1.

Forget forwards compatibility. PS5 games shouldn't be held back by making it mandatory to work on PS4, so on launch there should be quite a few PS5 exclusive titles.

Also, I think Sony will have to make a new console since I think the PS4 NEO will not sell well. This is because not many people own 4K TVs and people will still choose the regular PS4 model over the NEO because of price.

Let's face it people will upgrade because of some combination of brand loyalty, back compat on day one keeping their existing library, price, and hype.

The latter is key. Microsoft are hoping the Scorpio hype - which can be generated by showing cod, fifa, halo looking outrageous at 1080/60 - will help overcome a) some of the sony brand loyalty and investment in back catalogue and b) Win back 360 owners who jumped ship.

Lots of these arguments about who launches when and in what order and what it means will disappear for many if Scorpio games blow away anything else on the console market. Then maybe ps5 will do the same again. It's a great time to be a console gamer.

jdmonmou

Let's face it people will upgrade because of some combination of brand loyalty, back compat on day one keeping their existing library, price, and hype.

The latter is key. Microsoft are hoping the Scorpio hype - which can be generated by showing cod, fifa, halo looking outrageous at 1080/60 - will help overcome a) some of the sony brand loyalty and investment in back catalogue and b) Win back 360 owners who jumped ship.

Lots of these arguments about who launches when and in what order and what it means will disappear for many if Scorpio games blow away anything else on the console market. Then maybe ps5 will do the same again. It's a great time to be a console gamer.
I think last gen was a great time to be a console gamer due to its historically long cycle. I'm not supportive of shorter console cycles simply because I don't like having to buy a console every few years. I'd rather not spend the money.

I think Microsoft is doing a stealth next gen console release with Scorpio without saying it. They don't want to piss off existing Xbox One owners, so that's why they keep saying things like "no gamer left behind" and "no Scorpio exclusives." But after a certain amount of time they will probably drop the requirement for Scorpio games to work with Xbox One.

One thing I've not seen factor in on these comparisons is who has the largest user per console ecosystem. Whoever has the largest by the end of the generation will have locked millions of players to their online platform since these consoles seem to be forward compatible. Not a lot of people are going to dump their digital purchases and discs for another platform if forward compatibility is actually a thing moving forward.

wapplew

[Agent]ZeroNine;210284934 said:
One thing I've not seen factor in on these comparisons is who has the largest user per console ecosystem. Whoever has the largest by the end of the generation will have locked millions of players to their online platform since these consoles seem to be forward compatible. Not a lot of people are going to dump their digital purchases and discs for another platform if forward compatibility is actually a thing moving forward.

You mean backward compatible?

leeh

I tried to visualize the upcoming roadmap of both platforms, based on a 3 year cycle for PS iterative model and 4 years for XBOX.

roadmapps_xboxa3u46.jpg

Now, obviously this is just an educated guess and obviously, things may turn out entirely different, but if you follow this line of thinking, I think there are some nice conclusions which can be deduced from this.

Most important is the clear positioning of the PS Neo SKUs as intermediary / beefed-up SKUs of their predecessors, while Scorpio seems to be more like a hybrid between a beefed up and a complete new gen console. That's why I called Scorpio's successor XBOX 5.

Furthermore, the different approach leads in a constant stream of new consoles within the next years, the biggest gap beeing the time between PS5 and PS5 Neo / XBOX 5 (3 years).
Microsoft have said they're not keeping to fixed timeframe, rather releasing new hardware when it makes sense with technological milestones.

3 years post Scorpio launch would seem like the right time to release a console which is suited to 4k/60 for example.

[Agent]ZeroNine;210284934 said:

This is true, but you don't need forward compatibility for that, just classic BC. If your new system is 100% BC capable, then you can take all your digital purchases (and the ones you got via PS+/Gold) with you. So, this is not necessarily an argument for this new iterative model.

cooldawn

The thing I'm worried about is complacency that could weave it's way in to Sony's strategy. I'm not too chuffed about having to pay more than my original PS4 for a system that has an incremental step around 3 years or more later. I'm not sure what the BoM is these days but this new system needs to cost no more than the original PS4 and the original PS4 re-priced accordingly to show it's age.

I mean, would an equivalent PC gamer need to pay £350 or more to upgrade from PS4's current specs to it's rumoured specs late this year/early next year, or would it be much cheaper? Let's face it, that price range is usually for a whole new generation of console, not an iterative one.

They need to get the pricing right and fair.

How so, entitled much?

Giving more options to consumers without fragmenting the userbase, since both skus play the same exact games. OG PS4 is still performing well and it had only one official price cut, with NEO Sony will be able to cover more price ranges and consumer's needs.

I think Microsoft is doing a stealth next gen console release with Scorpio without saying it. They don't want to piss off existing Xbox One owners, so that's why they keep saying things like "no gamer left behind" and "no Scorpio exclusives." But after a certain amount of time they will probably drop the requirement for Scorpio games to work with Xbox One.

Nope, they won't be able to do that even if they wanted.

jdmonmou

Nope, they won't be able to do that even if they wanted.
Why do you think that? Shannon Loftis from Microsoft said that a developer could choose to make a Scorpio only game. Also, VR is one of the Scorpio's selling points, and I don't see how you can have VR on the current Xbox One. Not to mention the gigantic increase in specs from the Xbox One to Scorpio. It just makes sense for them to support Xbox One for a few months to a year and then cut ties altogether and focus solely on the Scorpio.

Why do you think that? Shannon Loftis from Microsoft said that a developer could choose to make a Scorpio only game. Also, VR is one of the Scorpio's selling points, and I don't see how you can have VR on the current Xbox One. Not to mention the gigantic increase in specs from the Xbox One to Scorpio. It just makes sense for them to support Xbox One for a few months to a year and then cut ties altogether and focus solely on the Scorpio.

She was corrected later on.

http://www.*****************/2016/0...sibility-of-xbox-one-scorpio-exclusive-games/

I also say the same thing could happen with the PS4 NEO eventually if you want to go there.

You might have missed some statements by Microsoft's management, including Spencer's about VR.

"Supporting X1(s) for a few months to a year" doesn't make sense either, X1s would still be on the market and Scorpio won't replace its installed base anytime soon (nor will it have an adoption rate as fast as the PS4/X1 one).

HokieJoe

I have a 4K TV and 2 Ps4's in the house, and I have no interest in 4K gaming yet, hell we are still waiting for 1080p to be done right on console.

Unless Neo runs games better in 1080p, then I cant justify the change.

If Scorpio comes out and devs start offering 60 FPS (high bandwidth and a powerful CPU, big IF), then that would make me swing back to MS.

If neither console results in noticeable improvements at 1080p, then who cares ? We wait another 3 years for a proper CPU / GPU combo, or go PC.

I am interested in 4K content...However what if devs target 1080p up scaled + HDR? That might be the sweet spot for neo and scorpio.

Basically, something like this:

http://www.cnet.com/news/technicolor-wants-to-turn-high-def-video-into-hdr/

Technicolor has a color grading plug-in which will convert SDR content to HDR. The only requirement is a HDR capable TV.

This is true, but you don't need forward compatibility for that, just classic BC. If your new system is 100% BC capable, then you can take all your digital purchases (and the ones you got via PS+/Gold) with you. So, this is not necessarily an argument for this new iterative model.
I disagree. Sure 100% BC helps, but having the same game being upgraded when switching is better than just playing the old game again.

This would be extremely important for mmos and games as a service on console even.

How so, entitled much?
It's an obvious conclusion.

Most of the games doesn't come out for last gen not because they are so underpowered the game would be impossible, but rather because they require a complete new version made from scratch (and you can't even reuse the code unless you are using an engine that already supports both, but even then is troublesome because the engine stops supporting new features on older hardware), and that is most likely not worth it if the sales are going to be too low.

Now, if the cost for supporting the previous console is almost nothing extra when supporting the new one, and sales are guaranteed because the user knows if it buys a game for ps4 and later upgrades the game will run even better people on ps4 who didn't upgrade yet will moat likely purchase it too.

Edit. I just realized this is another benefit of forward compatibility instead of BC only.

I disagree. Sure 100% BC helps, but having the same game being upgraded when switching is better than just playing the old game again.

This would be extremely important for mmos and games as a service on console even.

You're referring to an upgrade patch / mode on top of BC. I am referring to FB, so all new PS5 games also have to run on a PS4 Neo (which basically makes "PlayStation" games out of them).

you could argue that the larger player base is considered to be the standard due to the investment in that ecosystem. the only thing that seems to make people jump ship in huge numbers is a poor plan that shits on consumers. all sony has to do is not fuck up

jdmonmou

She was corrected later on.

http://www.*****************/2016/0...sibility-of-xbox-one-scorpio-exclusive-games/

I also say the same thing could happen with the PS4 NEO eventually if you want to go there.
Link doesn't work for me.

You might have missed some statements by Microsoft's management, including Spencer's about VR.

"Supporting X1(s) for a few months to a year" doesn't make sense either, X1s would still be on the market and Scorpio won't replace its installed base anytime soon (nor will it have an adoption rate as fast as the PS4/X1 one).
I saw those statements, but MS didn't really clarify anything when it comes to potentially having VR exclusives for Scorpio. However, they have mentioned VR as one of the reasons for making Scorpio so the question still stands. How will Microsoft keep its promise of no Scorpio exclusives when it comes to VR?

Also, wouldn't it be a failure though if Scorpio doesn't have a faster adoption rate than Xbox One? I mean, Xbox One sold poorly compared to PS4. Why would MS even bother with Scorpio if they thought it wouldn't sell more than Xbox One?

wapplew

Also, wouldn't it be a failure though if Scorpio doesn't have a faster adoption rate than Xbox One? I mean, Xbox One sold poorly compared to PS4. Why would MS even bother with Scorpio if they thought it wouldn't sell more than Xbox One?

Unless they price it same with the normal Xbox one/PS4, no way enhance console will sold faster.
It's a product aim for enthusiast after all.
But MS still have to do it, they can't let Sony take that market and do nothing about it.

You should reevaluate your expectations if you think that a console revision (no matter how more powerful it is) will fly off the shelves, since it will be a "premium" product (it won't be cheap), it won't have exclusives (compared to X1s - VR games aside maybe - and even PC) and it will be released on an overly crowded market (ruled by OG PS4/NEO and X1s, all of which are still young, profitable products and susceptible to price cuts too).

Microsoft are shifting their priorities to the W10 store instead, and the hardware war is only a small part of it.

THE:MILKMAN

You should reevaluate your expectations if you think that a console revision (no matter how more powerful it is) will fly off the shelves, since it will be a "premium" product (it won't be cheap), it won't have exclusives (compared to X1s - VR games aside maybe - and even PC) and it will be released on an overly crowded market (ruled by OG PS4/NEO and X1s, all of which are still young, profitable products and susceptible to price cuts too).

Microsoft are shifting their priorities to the W10 store instead, and the hardware war is only a small part of it.

I'm not sure about this. Haven't Sony predicted 20 million sales for this financial year? What were PS4 sales for the last one?

Lady Gaia

Companies introduce flagship products to improve sales of their mass-market alternatives all the time. The Dodge Viper wasn't supposed to be a volume sales leader, it was supposed to improve the image of Dodge as a whole. Whether or not that's the Scorpio strategy will be obvious when we get a price tag for it.

Chobel

Not really, MS main interest is XB1S+Scorpio adoption rate., As long as all Xbox devices sell more than what XB1 did in the past then that's a success for them.

I'm not sure about this. Haven't Sony predicted 20 million sales for this financial year?

Yup, but that forecast includes the OG PS4 as well (which will probably get a 50$ price cut). I still think that the OG PS4 and X1s will be the top selling consoles for a considerable amount of time.

Metfanant

IMO...Sony needs to get the Neo on shelves before Christmas 2016...the further into 2017 this thing falls the better it is for MS and Scorpio...

I'm on the fence about buying a Neo either way...but the closer it gets to Scorpio's launch the more underpowered it comes across...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Microsoft have said they're not keeping to fixed timeframe, rather releasing new hardware when it makes sense with technological milestones.

3 years post Scorpio launch would seem like the right time to release a console which is suited to 4k/60 for example.

Any forward looking statements from MS and Sony should be taken with a huge pinch of salt. They want to focus minds on what they have coming out, and not get distracted talking about future possibilities. So they'll always focus their messaging around their currently published roadmap and deflect any further out discussion.

Also, it is smart PR to say 'we launch new hardware with technological milestones'. It is designed to reinforce the 'it's a monster' line they used with Scorpio. Hey, they'll only release at technical milestones, so this must be one of those milestones. Wooow.

Same with Sony. All PR and you can't read anything about future timing into it.

My guess would be that MS with Scorpio in 2017 buys themselves enough time to wait out 7nm shrinks for a nice jump with project Saggitarius. Sony will be less happy with the power of neo - fine for a mid cycle refresh but they won't want to be left too far behind if MS' messaging around power gets any traction. If those suppositions are accurate, that would likely have Sony continue with a three year cycle with a PS5 in 2019 using a mature 14nm process to go with a large APU. And MS will be confident enough to hang on until 2020-2021 which would look good for 7nm APUs; with Sony then following a year later in 2022 with PS5 neo.

Tbh by then most people will be heavily embedded in their ecosystem of choice with continued backward compatibility etc, so populations won't move from PS<-->MS in any large numbers.

Top Bottom