• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Owners, do you guys not missing Suspend/Resume feature?

barit

No, not really. But what I miss is a fucking STABLE and FAST PSN. It's saturday 18:00 and sending PSN messages is still a pain in the ass. Errors, connection lost, 5min. till messages appears. I hate this sooo much. Sony plz fix this shit asap. It's embarrasing. Screw Supsend/Resume, they can keep it if they give me a proper online experience. I pay for this shit. Aaargh

After buying a super cheap Xbone from cowboom and enjoying that feature the last 3 months, it's hard to go back to the PS4. C'mon Sony! Get your Japan firmware team some help from the other markets' R&D.

UraMallas

It's an absolutely great feature on the Bone. I go from TV to my game quite frequently. If there is a college basketball game on, I'll flip to TV for a few minutes between levels of Halo MCC or between championships in Forza Horizon 2. Just flip back and forth. It's amazing.

GTAV has the longest initial load times I've experienced on PS4 so far. It would be nice to just start up where I was, but it's a lot faster than the last gen load times. Every other game doesn't really matter to me because they load in less than 30 seconds.

It's an absolutely great feature on the Bone. I go from TV to my game quite frequently. If there is a college basketball game on, I'll flip to TV for a few minutes between levels of Halo MCC or between championships in Forza Horizon 2. Just flip back and forth. It's amazing.
PS4 can do that as well - you can suspend games at will when you're going to start a media app, and return right where you left off.
This thread is about suspending a game while the system is in a sleep mode.

And again, it's a moot point when the consoles have so many frequent updates (especially the bone) that shut down your suspended game anyway.

Still really hoping this comes eventually, it's fantastic on the Vita. I'm having serious doubts about whether we'll ever actually see it.

Superflat

Can't miss a thing you never had.

Pretty much. I rarely think about that function on the PS4, but I still think we should get it since that's what they promised.

I also have the compulsion to always close programs and software I'm not using on my PC and consoles, so if I have no plans to return to a game within an hour, I close it.

There is a suspend function while the console is running: if you're playing a game, return to home and open another app, like Netlflix -- a confirmation will pop up asking you if you want to suspend the game or close it. I usually close it.

Nestunt

I would like to have it, but its not up there on my list as something I would want to see fixed/implemented

My lifestyle doesnt mind turning on or off a console every time

the resume/play option is in the system, if you notice when you share play it suspends the game you are playing, and lets you stream the host game, i don't know why sony is taking so long on it.

dralla

As a new Xbox One owner it's definitely a cool feature to have It's nice to not have to sit through loading screens and splash screens and weird logos I don't understand. It's kind of strange that the two big features Sony played up when they announced the PS4, suspend/resume and game DVR, work better/actually exist, on the Xbox.

It is a very nice feature and they still owe us that, but I turn off my PC and console plugbarthingy overnight, so I would pretty much never use it. On Vita on the other hand I use it all the time.

As a PS4 owner, I don't understand how Sony who had this feature day one for the PSP and PSV and not have it available on the PS4 18 months later, when it was announced as one of the core features. And I don't understand how they don't say shit about it at all.

Teletraan1

Banned
Just put a SSD that costs half what the device itself does in it and quit complaining. #notforthepoors

I dont even find the loading to be that long on a regular low RPM drive for GTAV. Maybe I am desensitized after Lego City Undercover on Wii U.

I would happily take that feature if it is faster obviously but I will get it when it comes. Being impatient on the internet is not going to make is show up faster.

It would be nice, but I don't miss it too much. It's more important that PSN as a whole is made more robust.

I wonder if the year plus delay (and counting) on the feature is to ensure it works correctly with remote and share play?

Subxero

Nope. I don't use it on my Xbox and I wouldn't use it for the PS4 either. It's really not a big deal to save the 30 seconds to a minute it take to turn them off or on.

Didnt care before I got a Xbox One, now I really miss it. Not enough to buy a game on XBox one if it runs better on PS4, but its very useful for me.

The feature is particularly useful when you have a lot of interruptions in your use of time, like I do when remote working. I may works 30 minutes, wait 5-10 mins until someone gets back with something I need and get some game time in then get back to work.

When I have hours of continous time to play games, its not that useful.

It worries me that the longer Sony waits to implement/deploy this feature, the less likely it is to actually deliver on it. Like if it's not a part of the firmware/sdk, developers will continue to build their games without taking this into consideration and then we'll have issues with some games not supporting it, etc.

I wish we had some transparency from Sony on this.

Elandyll

Banned
It's hard to miss a feature that you haven't had yet, so for now no, not "missing it".

This being said, it would indeed be nice to have in a few circumstances but what surprises me the most is that it was presented as one of the core features during the reveal in Feb 2013, and a year later after launch, here we are...

Krakn3Dfx

Nope, I have it on the Xbox One and it's fine when it works, but everything loads fast enough on the ps4 that I don't really think about it, even GTA5, which took forever to load on the ps3.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It worries me that the longer Sony waits to implement/deploy this feature, the less likely it is to actually deliver on it. Like if it's not a part of the firmware/sdk, developers will continue to build their games without taking this into consideration and then we'll have issues with some games not supporting it, etc.
I don't think that is a realistic fear, given that suspending is just a power save mode that keeps the memory turned on and games already support it because the PS4 already can suspend games to the background.
In addition the only realistic issue is the case of suddenly losing network connectivity, which games have to handle already.

What it can't do is keep these suspend sessions alive when it goes into a low-power state.

Spineker

Banned
So just so I'm completely understanding this Suspend/Resume feature correctly, if I'm playing a game, and I know an exorbitant load time is coming, can I have Binding of Isaac running in the background and just jump to it and play a quick game while I'm waiting for the load?

Harabec

Neo Member
It's a great feature on my Vita so I would love to have suspend on my PS4, but I'm not taking my console on the road where I need to stop at any point so I don't really need it.

So just so I'm completely understanding this Suspend/Resume feature correctly, if I'm playing a game, and I know an exorbitant load time is coming, can I have Binding of Isaac running in the background and just jump to it and play a quick game while I'm waiting for the load?
No.

I don't think that is a realistic fear, given that suspending is just a power save mode that keeps the memory turned on and games already support it because the PS4 already can suspend games to the background.
In addition the only realistic issue is the case of suddenly losing network connectivity, which games have to handle already.

What it can't do is keep these suspend sessions alive when it goes into a low-power state.
Hopefully you're correct. I don't want this feature to be this gen's cross game chat.

benny_a

No, but that would be great. And is possible with some engineering effort, because they could write the RAM conents to the drive and then load it back when you switch back.

Of course writing 6GB of memory and reading 6GB of memory (in the worst case scenario atm) wouldn't make that hypothetical thing as quick as what is being talked about here where you can put the console in a low power state and then resume from that saved state which is held in RAM.

GodofWine

I've never (literally) thought to myself, "gee I wish it didn't take so long to load up my saved game", so I'm in the 'it's probably cool but I don't care if it ever comes out in a firm ware update' camp.

kitch9

Banned
Is there any potential security issues with having data suspended in ram whilst the machine is off.?

Just conjecture on my part but with the other features Sony hasn't put on the PS4 that were on the PS3 it could be safe to assume security is at the forefront of their thinking.

They really don't appear to want user data written to the internal hard drive over the various buses for instance.

benny_a

Is there any potential security issues with having data suspended in ram whilst the machine is off.
Yes there is. There have been several years of research into dumping the contents of memory from suspended machines.

The solution is to power off USB ports, which of course for the PS4 would be undesirable for a games console.

I don't think that is the reason this feature is late, but if they brought this feature but it wasn't possible to also charge controllers while in standby mode that would be very compelling evidence that security is on their mind.

I'll probably rarely if ever use it. The PS4 gets used more by other family members than by me. Would be more useful if I were the only one using the PS4. But even then, I like to end my sessions with an official save when possible. Shit would suck losing a lot of progress to a borked resume, power failure, etc.. But of course I'd rather have the option than not.

Just hope it's more reliable than Xbone's implementation.

I had heard (On gaf, or an article or something) that GDDR5 memory requires more power to "keep alive", than the DDR3 in the Xbone. Thus, they are having trouble getting the GDDR5 to have enough power for suspend resume in rest mode. Rest mode would require more power, then it wouldn't really be rest mode, would it? I am sure the programmers will crack it in the future, but for now, no suspend/resume. It might also be issues with the FreeBSD based OS that the Ps4 uses.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=920239

Top Bottom