• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 owns 70% share of current-gen consoles in Italy

Ce-Lin

pretty much the same in Spain where I believe the numbers should be higher than 70%, PS4 in full force dominating (as was the case already with PS3 vs 360) and Nintendo still dominating the handhelds market almost completely.

KYZR

by just a nose

f2546d4b675ae6c9b9b725c1a2273b3d.jpg

Leyasu

Banned
The xbone is an absolute disaster. How could they have got it so wrong? I live in France and after the ps4 reveal, I asked all my gaming colleagues if they were going to pre-order one. They all said the same thing, that the 360 was a great console that they had all missed out on because they had ps3s and that they wanted to see the new xbox before deciding..

Guess what they all got after the xbone reveal?

CaptNink

The xbone is an absolute disaster. How could they have got it so wrong? I live in France and after the ps4 reveal, I asked all my gaming colleagues if they were going to pre-order one. They all said the same thing, that the 360 was a great console that they had all missed out on because they had ps3s and that they wanted to see the new xbox before deciding..

That reveal was an absolute disaster.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
360 was italian piracy's last fortress. No one truly likes Microsoft here, lol

Confirmed.
My brother, a staunch Sony supporter, bought a x360 because he could pirate it, and couldn't pirate a ps3.
In a strange turn of events, it RROD'd in a month.

Rafy

Oh boy, you bring back memories. What a fun night! It was my first big event coverage and it was awesome! Best part was watching people on the outside of the castle react to the show.

As for today's event, everybody I spoke to there was impressed with the numbers. Of course, Italy is the country where a newspaper printed "Microsoft is releasing it's own PlayStation console" when the first Xbox was announced. No, I am not kidding...

LOL.

OT: Considering Italy is a Tier 1 country, I won't be surprised if the PS4 captured an even larger percentage of marketshare in Tier 2 countries. MS had a chance to capitalize after its success with the 360, but threw it all away in one fell swoop.

tTc9cKQ.gif

lol as soon as i saw the nose pic i knew this gif would be posted, haha thanks for making my day:D

Nzyme32

These statements are super misleading without the context. What percentage is this of the market of all consoles, or even gaming devices?

As a hypothetical example - If current consoles represent only 10% of the market of gaming devices, 70% of that is not as meaningful as if, say, current consoles represented 80% of gaming devices and 70% of those are PS4s

Get the context first

genjiZERO

it's so interesting that MS is able to garner brand confidence in the US and Britain, but considerably less so in the other major Western territories. Why is that? I get the US - MS is an American company. But why Britain?

These statements are super misleading without the context. What percentage is this of the market of all consoles, or even gaming devices?

As a hypothetical example - If current consoles represent only 10% of the market of gaming devices, 70% of that is not as meaningful as if, say, current consoles represented 80% of gaming devices and 70% of those are PS4s

Get the context first
Pretty sure that its for current gen consoles.
If not, its probably week by week or month by month the PS4 takes 70% of home console sales.

Nzyme32

Pretty sure that its for current gen consoles.
If not, its probably week by week or month by month the PS4 takes 70% of home console sales.

It is, it just doesn't actually give an indication of how well the PS4 is doing in Italy, just that the PS4 is performing better than the competition of current gen consoles. Actual figures along with this would be a whole lot more interesting

Viper3

It's kind of insane that it looks this grim for XB1 in tier 1 countries like Germany and Italy.

I can't imagine how bad it looks in tier 2 EU countries where it launched much later than the PS4.

Judging by the fact that I live in one of those peasant EU countries, and have a bunch of friends in other Tier 2 countries, it's more or less a bloodbath.

Some stores don't even have Xbox One sections, just shelves marked Xbox and they have 360 and One games crammed together. If a store does have an Xbox One section it seems pretty much deserted in most cases - a few systems on the shelves, with a handful of more popular titles. That might not be the case for all Tier 2 countries, I dunno, but in my experience it's pretty bad.

Raist

Banned

Get the context first

It's not misleading at all. It states exactly what that percentage is. 70% of PS4+XB1+WiiU.
It's obviously going to be a small fraction of every gaming device ever. These consoles have been out for ~2 years.

Mael

it's so interesting that MS is able to garner brand confidence in the US and Britain, but considerably less so in the other major Western territories. Why is that? I get the US - MS is an American company. But why Britain?

The 360 was competitive last gen but was most clearly not selling all that well compared to its US/UK performance (everything was Nintendo at the time, seriously Wii is Nintendo's most sucessful console by a HUGE margin, there's more Wii in Europe than there is NES through GC combined, that's how much better they did).
Ps3 worldwide made up most of its handicap compared to the 360 in the EU.
People at MSFT never stopped to think how come they couldn't sell that much hw in the EU when Sony and Nintendo were making such a killing, they announced something even less appealing to the EU than the original Xbox in Japan circa 2005 and the rest is history.

Who thought it was a good idea to release a console tied to Kinect after the controversy of the NSA spying scandal?
There's so many misstep on the xbone you could make a stairway to the cloud.

Ushay

it's literally only the US and the UK that's stopping it from being like that worldwide, MS should be counting their blessings that those markets haven't abandoned them

If they continue to pump out high quality exclusives and provide great support for their OS I can't see why the market should abandon them.

Given the position MS were in at the start of all this, they've made huge strides. Will it be enough? Who knows.

Mikey Jr.

That reveal was...I have no words. What the fuck were they thinking when they started showing Price is Right. I mean, my God.

Top Bottom