• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 PC/Mac Remote Play client available now

kriskrosbbk

Finally got a Windows 10 PC and want to use this but I can't wake my PS4 using Remote Play :(

Registering and playing from the Windows client works very well. It's just the waking up the console part... and yes, all the relevant options are set correctly.

I should mention that I have the same problem with starting downloads from the PSN web store. This suddenly started in February this year, before it was working all fine. I thought this was on Sony's end as the PS4 still checks daily for new firmware updates etc. automatically, but I guess not (I already contacted Sony about this but they were of no help).

I can even hear the click/fan-spin up on the PS4 in rest mode that usually signals that a download etc. wakes it up but it just goes back to sleep without doing anything.

Any ideas/heard of this issue before?

edit: uhm ok, turned some of the relevant settings off and then on again and now it worked?! Will test it a bit more I guess, also need to try over a different network (although it said it searched via the internet) to have it ready when I'm on a trip next time :)

DieH@rd

Banned
First connection is usually very long one on my home network [all via cables]. Once that is done, each next RT connection is done in less than a second.

I'm really happy with the RP performance on a Pro.

Tizoc

Decided to get back to using remote play but now I notice input lag I hadn't experienced before. What's causing this and how can I fix it?

BUMP - have they updated this so that plugging in a headset to the Dualshock 4 will let you talk to your friends in a party?

If not...does any know a way to do it?

Magnus

Just remembered this existed. Gave it a shot. Works great! 1080p/30fps via my new PS4 Pro. So happy!

But just like with my PSTV upstairs, there's the slightest bit of input lag. Totally playable, but it's noticeable. Wish I could eliminate that. May have to use Powerline adapters to try and get everything hooked up via Ethernet. Right now my PC and PSTV are both wireless, while my PS4 Pro is on Ethernet. Makes a difference if they're all ethernet, yeah?

DieH@rd

Banned
I know that stereo audio and mic works work in Windows when connected with USB.

I presume that it will also work fine in RP [via USB]. Sony's BT dongle for DS4 is confirmed to fully use audio streaming.

Blanquito

Just remembered this existed. Gave it a shot. Works great! 1080p/30fps via my new PS4 Pro. So happy!

But just like with my PSTV upstairs, there's the slightest bit of input lag. Totally playable, but it's noticeable. Wish I could eliminate that. May have to use Powerline adapters to try and get everything hooked up via Ethernet. Right now my PC and PSTV are both wireless, while my PS4 Pro is on Ethernet. Makes a difference if they're all ethernet, yeah?

Yeah. You can also enable 60fps mode as well, I believe, which may help.

I know that stereo audio and mic works work in Windows when connected with USB.

I presume that it will also work fine in RP [via USB]. Sony's BT dongle for DS4 is confirmed to fully use audio streaming.

Wait, you can party chat with this? I didn't think that it would allow it

Juice

I don't know about y'all, but when my Mac and my PS4 Pro are both on my 5Ghz network, Remote Play is genuinely playable. It's really a delightful thing now that it works reliably. Played most of Witcher 3 and FFXV from my treadmill desk in the basement on my Mac

Mr. Hyde

Is there a way to use remote play with your primary account? The BT wireless dongle automatically disconnects if I try to login to the pimary. It connects fine if I use my wife's PSN.

Eklesp

Is there a way to use remote play with your primary account? The BT wireless dongle automatically disconnects if I try to login to the pimary. It connects fine if I use my wife's PSN.

Does it work if you are first logged into your PS4 with your wife's account, then connect remote play with your account?

Mr. Hyde

I deleted the data in the app folder on my PC and then made my wife's account the one remote play connects to. I then switch to my account and it works fine. I don't get why it works that way but yay 1080p remote play bloodborne works seamless on a wired connection.

Jimmy_liv

Afternoon,

I installed a new windows 10 yesterday purely so I could remote play my PS4.

It all went fine but when I launch the app I get an updating prompt, then I click start, then it opens a white box which I know from googling is supposed to redirect to a psn sign-in screen - but it doesn't.
It just sits there forever.

Has anyone had this problem? A couple of people on Reddit have but nobody seems to have a working solution to it.

Any help would be greatfully received.

Thanks

Apath

I am hoping someone here can convince me that PS4 Remote Play is not a useless feature due to an inability to function properly.

I have a decent router that is within 10ft. of the PS4. My MacBook Pro has a direct ethernet connection to the router. Despite this and all of my best efforts to configure Remote Play as optimally as possible, I constantly lose connection after roughly 2-5 seconds.

I am hoping someone here can divulge some sort of secret. I could not get Remote Play to work consistently (to a playable level) on my old network, when I lived at my parent's place, and certainly cannot get anything working now. It seems to me that if you have a good connection Remote Play should work fine. I should note that previously I had both my computer and PS4 connected to my router via ethernet and still had issues where Remote Play was unplayable.

This will probably be the last time I give this a shot. It becomes more and more frustrating as time goes on, especially when you consider that this is supposed to be a feature that works when you are not home.

If anyone has any advise they could give or any assistance they'd be willing to offer, I'd greatly appreciate it.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I am hoping someone here can convince me that PS4 Remote Play is not a useless feature due to an inability to function properly.

I have a decent router that is within 10ft. of the PS4. My MacBook Pro has a direct ethernet connection to the router. Despite this and all of my best efforts to configure Remote Play as optimally as possible, I constantly lose connection after roughly 2-5 seconds.

I am hoping someone here can divulge some sort of secret. I could not get Remote Play to work consistently (to a playable level) on my old network, when I lived at my parent's place, and certainly cannot get anything working now. It seems to me that if you have a good connection Remote Play should work fine. I should note that previously I had both my computer and PS4 connected to my router via ethernet and still had issues where Remote Play was unplayable.

This will probably be the last time I give this a shot. It becomes more and more frustrating as time goes on, especially when you consider that this is supposed to be a feature that works when you are not home.

If anyone has any advise they could give or any assistance they'd be willing to offer, I'd greatly appreciate it.

My experience has been pretty flawless over 5GHz wifi, I even RP over WAN from work without major issues. (This is with a PS4 Pro FWIW)

I can say that I've noticed buffering issues using the Mac client when my Mac resources became an issue. A restart usually fixes the problem for me. It seems like you've taken the obvious steps in using a physical connection, which would be my first choice.

I'd try to determine for sure if it's a connection quality problem or a connection reliability problem. If you're disconnecting vs buffering, you may have a security policy enforced on the router for example.

This seems to work really well. I played through the nier automata demo and it had significant lag but it was playble on normal. There were a few pixelated freak out moments but this seems very useful to me to play chill out games on the laptop in the living room.

Apath

My experience has been pretty flawless over 5GHz wifi, I even RP over WAN from work without major issues. (This is with a PS4 Pro FWIW)

I can say that I've noticed buffering issues using the Mac client when my Mac resources became an issue. A restart usually fixes the problem for me. It seems like you've taken the obvious steps in using a physical connection, which would be my first choice.

I'd try to determine for sure if it's a connection quality problem or a connection reliability problem. If you're disconnecting vs buffering, you may have a security policy enforced on the router for example.
The picture looks fine when it works for those first 3 seconds. It just suddenly freezes for about 2 seconds and disconnects. Doesn't buffer at all.

I will try using the 5ghz option followed by looking into that potential security policy you mentioned.

plainr_

The picture looks fine when it works for those first 3 seconds. It just suddenly freezes for about 2 seconds and disconnects. Doesn't buffer at all.

I will try using the 5ghz option followed by looking into that potential security policy you mentioned.

Have you tried wiring the PS4 directly to the router temporarily to see if it is not a wifi problem? The wireless on PS consoles has always been hit or miss from my experience.

I'm trying to login to my PSN account on the remote play app and it says: to use this feature, you need to turn on JavaScript in your browser settings. I checked and JavaScript is turned on. Can anybody help me with this?

I'm considering trying to circumvent the Persona streaming debacle using PC remote play, but I need someone to clarify how this works.

Does the PS4 output to the TV like regular during remote play or does it just stream the video data directly over the network? I want to have remote play going on my PC, while having my TV input set to the PS4 so I actually see the source image. I'm aware that the controller will be hooked to the PC, so there would be "latency" of sorts.

I'm considering trying to circumvent the Persona streaming debacle using PC remote play, but I need someone to clarify how this works.

Does the PS4 output to the TV like regular during remote play or does it just stream the video data directly over the network? I want to have remote play going on my PC, while having my TV input set to the PS4 so I actually see the source image. I'm aware that the controller will be hooked to the PC, so there would be "latency" of sorts.

Last I checked the PS4 will continue to output to the TV normally when in remote play mode.

Almost certain it's h264, isn't 265 just not completely mainstream yet?
Tried doing a Google search, couldn't come up with anything concrete
According to AMD, Polaris GPUs (which PS4 Pro is based on) support H.265:

http://www.amd.com/en-gb/innovations/software-technologies/radeon-polaris

"Radeon™ GPUs based on the Polaris architecture are a dream for anyone that’s serious about streaming and recording their favorite games: 4K, H.265, 60 FPS, virtually no performance impact."

Top Bottom