• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 PRO: for best IQ (Native 4k + HDR + 60 HZ + 4:4:4) 2160p-YUV420 or 2160p-RGB?

nakedeyes

Banned
No!

There is real confusion here, I'm seeing.

You *CAN* do 4K RGB @ 60hz. It absolutely works.

...but only at 8-bits per channel. That is 100% fine for all regular content.

HDR, however, uses 10-bit color and you cannot do 4K60 RGB with 10-bit. You have to use chroma subsampling.

Thanks for clearing this up. What a bummer!! Is there a spec for an HDMI 2.* that might increase bandwidth enough to allow for everything?? ( RBG, 4:4:4, 60hz, 4k, HDR )?

I have had a monitor with 4:2:2 chroma subsampling issues at work in the past and it drove me nuts.

I'm reading through this whole thread and every time I think I have a handle on things, another posts makes me unsure. I understand each component individually but I get lost when I try to relate them all to each other.
Do I have this right?

• 4kRGB mode is 4:4:4 (perfect color accuracy), it supports HDR at 30fps or less, it does not support HDR at more than 30fps due to lack of available bandwidth.

• 4kYUV420 mode is of course 4:2:0 and it supports HDR up to 60fps thanks to saving bandwidth on color information.

Some questions, relating directly to practical use of the PS4's two 4k options and not to theoreticals (meaning things like 50hz, 4:2:2 and 16 bit are irrelevant):
-How does color bit depth factor in to each of these modes, though?
-Does the Pro default to 10 bit color output for 4k modes? Is there an instance that would get you stuck with 8 bit? Can it do 12 bit?
-And what happens if you run a 60fps HDR game on the RGB mode? Does it lower the framerate or does it ditch HDR? Or does the screen just go black?
-I read that YUV is equivalent to RBG limited. Isn't limiting the number of steps contrary to the entire idea of HDR and expanded gamuts? How does this work out? I dont think Ive even seen an option for full vs limited on my VizioP2016.

Lucifon

Anyone else get the black screen bug and have to boot into safe mode and disable hdcp? On the OLED B6 all I got was a black screen and sound.

Luke_Wal

The P-Series is a shit show right now. To be clear, you are not able to get HDR in either 4KYUV420 or 4KRGB mode? YUV420 is known to not work with the P-Series, but I thought another GAFer said RGB works for now.

It says RGB mode is unsupported, only YUV is selectable at 2160. This is through the same HDMI port, with the same high-bandwidth cable that can do 4K HDR on my Roku.

It says RGB mode is unsupported, only YUV is selectable at 2160. This is through the same HDMI port, with the same high-bandwidth cable that can do 4K HDR on my Roku.

Do you have HDMI subsampling turned on for that HDMI port?

Go to the settings, then Inputs, then HDMI Color Subsampling. It should list all your ports.

morpix

My Pro automatically selected RGB. It's reporting HDR support and HDCP 2.2. InFamous First Light looked amazing, but I'll switch it to YUV and see how that goes.
Also, I ran it in HDR mode with the unlocked "higher framerate" mode, and it seems to be running at 60 (or close to it). So talk of RGB only handling 30fps HDR seems wrong.

ss_lemonade

This is probably not related but with all the HDR and color bits talk, should I be seeing any benefit with my Sony w900a at different color bits? I believe my TV can do 8, 10 and 12bit color but I never really noticed any difference on both my Xbox One and PS4. The TV seems to recognize it though since it properly displays color bit info when viewing inputs.

morpix

I have the KS8000 do I turn on UHD? When I have it off it says "HDR not supported". I'm using PS4 Pro's HDMI cable btw.

Yes, you enable it for HDMI1 in the Advanced Picture Options. Under UHD Color. That will give you HDR. Also, check the Samsung support site to see if there's updated firmware. Their OTA updates are unreliable.

f@luS

More than a member.
My Pro automatically selected RGB. It's reporting HDR support and HDCP 2.2. InFamous First Light looked amazing, but I'll switch it to YUV and see how that goes.
Also, I ran it in HDR mode with the unlocked "higher framerate" mode, and it seems to be running at 60 (or close to it). So talk of RGB only handling 30fps HDR seems wrong.

because as someone previously said it switch to YUV 4.2 with hdr

Yes, you enable it for HDMI1 in the Advanced Picture Options. Under UHD Color. That will give you HDR. Also, check the Samsung support site to see if there's updated firmware. Their OTA updates are unreliable.

Does it only work for HDMI 1 or can I use other ports? I currently have mine on HDMI 3

HDMI 3, but as far as I understand, 1-4 are all the same. Only 5 is different, yeah?
This is for a Vizio, right? HDMI 1-4 are HDMI 2.0a, whereas HDMI 5 is HDMI 1.4 with no HDR, but able to accept higher refresh rates and higher resolutions, along with lower input lag.

Luke_Wal

This is for a Vizio, right? HDMI 1-4 are HDMI 2.0a, whereas HDMI 5 is HDMI 1.4 with no HDR, but able to accept higher refresh rates and higher resolutions, along with lower input lag.

Yeah, Vizio P Series. It's not allowing me to select 2160 RGB, even though HDR works on things like my Roku and my old PS4. This is using the cable that came with the system, and in the same port that HDR works on both of those devices.

UPDATE: Updating to 4.05 means that HDR is now supported, but RGB is still not available for selection and it says "HDR on your TV: Only 2K supported." What does this mean and how do I fix it?

dw.og

Does anyone have a 2015 Vizio M series? The only 4K option I have under output settings is 2160p YUV420. Is this preferable? Is there a way to enable 2160p RBG?

Dzab

Hey everyone.

So as we know, YUV420 supports 10bit HDR and RGB only supports 8bit.

I have a KS8000 (UK KS7000) and my pc works at 4:2:0 at 10bit HDR in Shadow Warrior 2, as there's no colour banding in the sky, I've switched back and forth and there was no issue with it.

With the Pro however, all the settings are available etc but when I look at menus (The side pop up when selecting resolution) and in Ratchet and Clank it's clearly 8bit HDR, there's noticeable colour banding/gradient issues. It's this way at both YUV420, RGB, both with limited and full RGB range. Anyone got any ideas?

c00l3ru

RGB 4K HDR does work. When you play a game that supports HDR it switches to YUV 4.2.2. not YUV 4.2.0.

UPDATE: Updating to 4.05 means that HDR is now supported, but RGB is still not available for selection and it says "HDR on your TV: Only 2K supported." What does this mean and how do I fix it?
From another GAFfer, 4KRGB should work. 4KYUV420 is an issue.

So, I can't speak to either. However, I will be home with my PS4 Pro in about two hours. I'll be able to make a better assessment, knowing how my own HDMI chain is configured.

Luke_Wal

From another GAFfer, 4KRGB should work. 4KYUV420 is an issue.

So, I can't speak to either. However, I will be home with my PS4 Pro in about two hours. I'll be able to make a better assessment, knowing how my own HDMI chain is configured.

It still said 4K RGB was unsupported. So I don't know what's going on there.

RGB 4K HDR does work. When you play a game that supports HDR it switches to YUV 4.2.2. not YUV 4.2.0.

Wait...so the only way to get YUV4:2:2 on PS4 is to select RGB? Wut? How does that make sense? And at what color depth is it running at when it does that?

So if I pick RGB mode, it will play 4:4:4@60 for games without HDR, and 4:2:2@60 for games with HDR?

HDMI 3, but as far as I understand, 1-4 are all the same. Only 5 is different, yeah?

That is correct. The only difference I think is that HDMI1 is the ARC port but that makes no difference here.

I dunno, man. Are you using the newly supplied HDMI cable? Older cables dont have the same bandwidth. Any AVRs in between?

So is everyone going automatic or YUV RGB lol.

I still can't decide

Honestly the machine probably knows more about your screen that you do with all this shit haha
Automatic is probably the best place to start. The other settings really only exist to make sure the bases are covered in case there is a communication problem. Auto exists for a reason.

Manuxs

Neo Member
Hey everyone.

So as we know, YUV420 supports 10bit HDR and RGB only supports 8bit.

I have a KS8000 (UK KS7000) and my pc works at 4:2:0 at 10bit HDR in Shadow Warrior 2, as there's no colour banding in the sky, I've switched back and forth and there was no issue with it.

With the Pro however, all the settings are available etc but when I look at menus (The side pop up when selecting resolution) and in Ratchet and Clank it's clearly 8bit HDR, there's noticeable colour banding/gradient issues. It's this way at both YUV420, RGB, both with limited and full RGB range. Anyone got any ideas?

I have exactly the same problem : a lot of color banding / gradient issues with games in hdr.
Yet I set everything to automatic. PS4 pro switches to yuv422 when playing hdr games like tlou.

Wild guess is the deep color setting that creates the banding, but it is compulsory if I want to benefit from hdr.
No one else has this issue with color banding ?

Thanks !! :)

Evo X

Is anyone using a Pro with a 2016 4K HDR LG OLED?

If so, is everything working correctly?

Reading the responses here has me worried. :/

I got a Vizio p-series and all you have to do to get RGB is to turn off HDCP. Not sure why

Edit: turned HDCP back on and RGB is still selected

Wild guess is the deep color setting that creates the banding, but it is compulsory if I want to benefit from hdr.
No one else has this issue with color banding ?

Thanks !! :)

From my time spent on avsforums, it's been recommended to turn deep color off, even on UHD movies. You don't lose anything as far as HDR goes. I assume the same is true here.

Dzab

From my time spent on avsforums, it's been recommended to turn deep color off, even on UHD movies. You don't lose anything as far as HDR goes. I assume the same is true here.

If you turn Deep Colour Output off in the PS4 menu it puts HDR off also.

Top Bottom