• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro gets minor hardware upgrade, goes from CUH-7000 to CUH-7100

The original PS4 was premium either. The launch controllers were rubbish and they used the same terrible plastic for it that they use for the Pro.
The OG PS4 is easily the most cheap looking product they have had in a long time lol. The shiny plastic is terrible. Was a huge step down from the shiny OG PS3, which was premium.

The Pro feels and looks much better than the OG PS4.
I thought the OG PS4 looked fantastic -shrug-

Also, it gave us the MGS V PS4, aka the GOAT
2771953-2720917959-mgs_v.jpg
Your opinion of this matter if both flawed and terrible. There are plenty of things in the last few years that fall below the Pro.

It's not the most sleek design, but it doesn't look/feel cheap at all to me. The glossy HDD cover on OG PS4 did, though.
lol
strong list. will use for future reference.
hahahaha

leng jai

lol

hahahaha

I own that MGS5 PS4. The OG PS4 looked good vertically, but it certainly didn't feel premium. The PS4 Pro both feels cheap and looks pretty bad, especially in black.

Macrotus

At least in Japan, its already been released.
Purchasable on the Sony Store.
http://www.jp.playstation.com/ps4/hardware/cuh7100bb01.html

Sony Store (Japan) link
http://pur.store.sony.jp/ps4/products/ps4/CUH-7100BB01_purchase/

[Edited]
Release date says October 2nd, which is in JST so it was basically released yesterday in Japan time.

That is interesting, thanks for the link.
I just converted the price to €, it would cost €339.
In Germany the PS4 CUH 7000 costs €399.

I own that MGS5 PS4. The OG PS4 looked good vertically, but it certainly didn't feel premium. The PS4 Pro both feels cheap and looks pretty bad, especially in black.

I don't really want to get into semantics re: 'premium' :)

The OG PS4 looked great for a console, the Pro looks and feels terrible. Build quality is pretty bad too. I've had to return two already due to extreme noise from both the fans and disc drive. Not really what you'd expect this far into a console generation.

The white Pro looks quite a bit better, thankfully. It's still a creaky piece of shit, crudely said.

leng jai

I don't want to get into semantics re: 'premium'.

The OG PS4 looked great for a console, the Pro looks and feels terrible. Build quality is pretty bad too. I've had to return two already due to extreme noise from both the fans and disc drive. Not really what you'd expect this far into a console generation.

The white Pro looks quite a bit better, thankfully. It's still a creaky piece of shit, crudely said.

I don't why you keep saying the Pro feels terrible but not the OG PS4. They both made of the same shit.

I don't why you keep saying the Pro feels terrible but not the OG PS4. They both made of the same shit.

OG PS4 had the glossy bit though!

In any case, the Pro should feel like a step up from OG PS4, being the 'high-end revision' of the two on the market.

It's wholly outshined by even the Xbox One S, which costs about half the price of the Pro currently (in EU at least).

dealer-

In any case, the Pro should feel like a step up from OG PS4, being the 'high-end revision' of the two on the market.

It's wholly outshined by even the Xbox One S, which costs about half the price of the Pro currently (in EU at least).

Pro launched at the same price as the OG so it was never going to be premium sadly.

The OG design still looks much better than the Pro today though imo. They regressed in that department. Hopefully Microsoft's work with the S and X means they will put some effort in next time.

LordOfChaos

Off topic a bit, but speaking of revisions, there was a website I saw once that tore down the different Dualshock 4 revisions (before the extra identifying lightbar strip), that showed some had bluetooth modules of different generations, anyone know where that is?

The 7100's killer feature is system wide downsampling.

Don't quite understand how someone would have the funds to buy a new edition of the PS4 to get their games to run marginally better, but would not be able to afford a 4K TV.

That said, it's another clear sign of Sony not really giving a rat's ass about the Pro or the people who buy it.

KageMaru

Wonder what's been changed for this version.

Not a fan of the color on that MGSV PS4 but I agree that the OG model looked nicer. My biggest issue with the Pro is the uneven light in the light bar on the front. It was the same on the OG model but the brightest part of the light was at the front while the brightness trailed off towards the back, making it less noticeable.

Hmm...wonder if we'll see another TV/PS4 Pro bundle with this model during November. (Bet it'll just be old models for both though)

Formosa

Yeah, im just waiting for them to announce a holiday price drop before I upgrade my PS4.

That would be a pretty dumb move... By the time the Pro drops to $299, your PS4's resell value will also be dropped. Should just upgrade now and enjoy it, you are going to be spending the same amount money now or an year from now.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Looks like a lot of changes have been coming just in time for the first holiday against the Nintendo Switch (and to a lesser extent, the XB1/X) so they are making headway to be able to reduce pricing hen necessary.

Your opinion of this matter if both flawed and terrible. There are plenty of things in the last few years that fall below the Pro.

It's not the most sleek design, but it doesn't look/feel cheap at all to me. The glossy HDD cover on OG PS4 did, though.

landscape-1478513816-ps4-pro-1.jpg

The power and eject feel pretty cheap on the pro.

Tagyhag

Aw, I was kinda hoping for better fans or something.

Oh well, hope there's good bundles during the holidays.

RedAssedApe

Banned
If that picture was supposed support your point... lmao.

The pro is the ugliest, tackiest looking console on the market.

meh...thought the same about the og ps4. the pro is not as bad as people make it out to be. just not as good as the competition.

be cool if we get some post mortem on the ps4 at some point and get to see what the second design that andy house nixed was

Glossy doesn't make stuff look premium.

Neith

Banned
Don't quite understand how someone would have the funds to buy a new edition of the PS4 to get their games to run marginally better, but would not be able to afford a 4K TV.

That said, it's another clear sign of Sony not really giving a rat's ass about the Pro or the people who buy it.

I don't have any interest in a mediocre 4K TV. In 2 or 3 years you will see the cream of the crop with HDMI 2.1 or beyond. Why waste my money now when most of the big games I cannot even play in 4K, and UHD is just getting started? I keep TVs for like 6 years or more. I don't need to invest in something that will be dated in a couple years.

My next upgrades will all be HDMI 2.1

Glossy doesn't make stuff look premium.
Who made you the premium expert? This whole thing is subjective anyway.

Well, not so sure:

35395105230_ecd9574c3a_o.0.jpg
I traded in my black Pro for this one, and it's a huge improvement. Still not as good-looking as the XB1S sitting next to it, though.
I don't have any interest in a mediocre 4K TV. In 2 or 3 years you will see the cream of the crop with HDMI 2.1 or beyond. Why waste my money now when most of the big games I cannot even play in 4K, and UHD is just getting started? I keep TVs for like 6 years or more. I don't need to invest in something that will be dated in a couple years.

My next upgrades will all be HDMI 2.1
If that's your stance, there's little need for a Pro, right? So we agree.

Top Bottom