• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro gets minor hardware upgrade, goes from CUH-7000 to CUH-7100

I thought the OG PS4 looked fantastic -shrug-

Also, it gave us the MGS V PS4, aka the GOAT

lol

hahahaha
I won't dispute the OG made for great custom PS4s! Again, didn't say the Pro is anywhere near the top for it's looks.

I'm also not saying you should feel bad, but that your statement about it being the cheapest looking / feelingPlayStation product when we loads of stuff that felt cheaper / broke very easily the last few years is in abundance.

Since people are incapable of "remembering" without a list, how about the PlayStation headsets that snapped, OG DS4 controllers with thumbsticks and triggers breaking, PS3 super slim with it's clicking disc drive and cardboard ridge pattern on top, etc.

That's without going WAY back to when we had stuff like the 3DTV (which admittedly had the neat 2-player fullscreen feature). Every hardware company has it's lows and highs and PlayStation branded stuff is no different for Sony.

I won't dispute the OG made for great custom PS4s! Again, didn't say the Pro is anywhere near the top for it's looks.

I'm also not saying you should feel bad, but that your statement about it being the cheapest looking / feelingPlayStation product when we loads of stuff that felt cheaper / broke very easily the last few years is in abundance.

Since people are incapable of "remembering" without a list, how about the PlayStation headsets that snapped, OG DS4 controllers with thumbsticks and triggers breaking, PS3 super slim with it's clicking disc drive and cardboard ridge pattern on top, etc.

That's without going WAY back to when we had stuff like the 3DTV (which admittedly had the neat 2-player fullscreen feature). Every hardware company has it's lows and highs and PlayStation branded stuff is no different for Sony.
That list is fair if we're discussing build quality, but the OG DS4 controllers didn't feel cheap. The PS3 superslim wasn't introduced as a new high-end model. The PS4 wireless headset feels great for its price out of the box.

The Pro, imo, doesn't look or feel like it's worth the asking price. It feels like a clunky thing made with cheap materials, and that doesn't change the moment you turn it on. A super noisy disc drive, noisy fans, etc.

I usually love Sony products, and I've been buying their stuff for two decades now. The Pro is near the bottom of my list re: customer satisfaction. They really should have done better.

That list is fair if we're discussing build quality, but the OG DS4 controllers didn't feel cheap. The PS3 superslim wasn't introduced as a new high-end model. The PS4 wireless headset feels great for its price out of the box.

The Pro, imo, doesn't look or feel like it's worth the asking price. It feels like a clunky thing made with cheap materials, and that doesn't change the moment you turn it on. A super noisy disc drive, noisy fans, etc.

I usually love Sony products, and I've been buying their stuff for two decades now. The Pro is near the bottom of my list re: customer satisfaction. They really should have done better.

Couldn’t agree more.

I will stick with Playstation, but the compromises I have made with the pro - going digital only so the noisy disk drive didnt annoy me, drilling holes in the back of the tv cabinet to let more air out the back and then getting a vertical stand and mounting it outside the tv cabinet - just to try to get the fan noise down - I hope you appreciate this Sony!

None of these issues with the og ps4

Unknown?

Couldn’t agree more.

I will stick with Playstation, but the compromises I have made with the pro - going digital only so the noisy disk drive didnt annoy me, drilling holes in the back of the tv cabinet to let more air out the back and then getting a vertical stand and mounting it outside the tv cabinet - just to try to get the fan noise down - I hope you appreciate this Sony!

None of these issues with the og ps4
Lol the OG PS4 felt just as cheap. Had super thin plastic and creaked. It was also just as loud.

Is there any truth to this revision being quieter than the CUH-7000 model?

From memory, most of the changes were just small internal cost saving measures with some minor revisions (they removed the alluminium heatspreader from the GDDR5 to save money and put them in contact with the steel shield to compensate). Annecdotal reports across messageboards that I've read report that the fan noise is still about the same :( (unless you win the Playstation lottery and score a golden sample). I'm personally hoping for an improved revision or a slim Pro this year.

Last edited:

flyingcloud11

Neo Member
So I got the white standalone one from GameStop. And to my knowledge it was recently released this year around Jan. The rathalos being released around MHW's launch. Is the standalone white using the same components as the rathalos edition?

n0razi

My PS4 Pro is pretty quiet... I think some of you guys have lemons or need to turn on the AC in your house.

DonF

Never once experienced anyone being able to hear my pro.
I believe that what makes the most noise is the bluray drive. Some physical games I own make it spin like crazy, but most digital games are ok. I know every game is played from the hdd, but still the console spins the disc a couple of times while playing.

I feel there is a market for "even more premium" version of consoles, that Sony is overlooking.

Absolutely. I actually discussed a similar idea with another member on here a while back. I genuinely don't mind spending extra money for something if I know that I'm going to receive a quality product in return. I feel like some console manufacturers are leaving money on the table by omitting that kind of SKU from their line up.

eastx

Anecdotally, I've heard that Sony uses different fans in different batches of Pro consoles. So some Pros are louder than others. Some have speculated that the newer hardware revision (which came out late in 2017) is quieter, but there's been no proof or testing that I can find.

Let's just hope the slim pro doesn't sound like a jet engine that a flock of geese flew into. Loudest console I've ever owned by far.

...unless there won't be a slim pro.

Breakage

I feel there is a market for "even more premium" version of consoles, that Sony is overlooking.
I'm still surprised that there isn't a DualShock 4 Pro. Better build quality, extra buttons, longer battery life etc – it makes sense. Out of the big three , Sony is the only one that doesn't offer any variant on its standard controller. I mean, even Nintendo have a Pro controller.

Last edited:
Top Bottom