• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Rest Mode is the worst - can I just disable it?

The only thing that annoys me about rest mode is that it's prioritised over actually turning the PS4 off in the list when you hold the PS button and I keep accidentally putting it in rest mode.

It's always going to be prioritised. The alternative being everyone turns off their computer/iphone/console instead of putting it into suspend/rest mode by mistake.

- I've accepted the advice given, I will now disable rest mode

- Rest mode was a patch after release so reading the manual wouldn't have helped

- Who the fuck would reads a manual for a PlayStation? Literally nothing I'm having an issue with now would've been solved by reading through two pages telling me not to pour drinks on it or let the cat sit on it or whatever these pointless things tell you

Being fair it's a lot more than 2 pages and quite helpful for those without basic knowledge like yourself.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/

6csWFCy.png

I don't get this.

Rellik

He's in denial.

Claiming that there is nothing wrong with his PS4 when it's clear that there is something not right with it.

No idea why people bothered trying to help him after the first few pages. Clearly his PS4 isn't working like most people's but he chooses to keep a broken PS4 and ignore all advice.

No idea why people bothered trying to help him after the first few pages. Clearly his PS4 isn't working like most people's but he chooses to keep a broken PS4 and ignore all advice.

Yep, clearly those millions and millions that don't behave in this manner are the faulty ones and not his.

My power button is basically an RNG at this point: press and hope, see what happens. I gave up trying to use it for what it was meant for long ago, ironically now that I'm actively avoiding this "feature" it's actually more of a pain than when it was just a poorly implemented option.

How did they fuck this up so bad? It's standby mode for fuck's sake, it's not curing cancer.

They didnt.. Your system is faulty

NewDust

Nope. I did that a few times (and yes, I stopped let go immediately after the second beep), and I almost always had to restore database when I turned it on again.

I'm sorry, but have you considered it might be YOUR PS4/HDD/FW?

Once again, if the console is on, holding down the power button until the second beep initiates the shutdown. It is NOT a force shutdown. It even shows the message the system is preparing for shutdown.

MaKTaiL

"I'm stood at my PS4 right next to the power button but it makes a lot more sense to walk over to my controller, press and hold a button and navigate through a menu than simply press the big off button that's right next to me."

They put the button there for a reason mane.

Sweet, I didn't know that. Cheers.
Why would you be away from your controller in the first place? What are you using your PS4 for?

Schlomo

I'm sorry, but have you considered it might be YOUR PS4/HDD/FW?

Once again, if the console is on, holding down the power button until the second beep initiates the shutdown. It is NOT a force shutdown. It even shows the message the system is preparing for shutdown.

When that's the only fault MY PS4 ever showed, then yes, I'd think this function is not always working like intended. Or do you think there's a faulty batch of PS4s that work perfectly fine in every scenario, except they can't be shut down by holding the button?

NewDust

When that's the only fault MY PS4 ever showed, then yes, I'd think this function is not always working like intended. Or do you think there's a faulty batch of PS4s that work perfectly fine in every scenario, except they can't be shut down by holding the button?

I see you are drowning in that Egyptian river... Don't expect me to throw a lifebuoy.

DieH@rd

Banned
My PS4 and Pro are always using rest mode [with suspended games] from their respective launches. Zero issues so far.

joecanada

Your absolutely right it's not working as intended..... On your ps4

Kodros

We're at that weird part of the thread where people only read the first page of the thread and then reply to one of those posts as if that post recently happened.

Venfayth

Why do people like OP jump to assume everyone else has the same problems they do?

Rest mode isn't broken, your console is. If everyone had those problems then you could make an argument for it.

CatPee

Aaaand after getting schooled on the presence of the low power consumption mode being in since launch (among various other things), OP is gone.

Will edit upon his triumphant return, hopefully with a new PS4 with fully-functional Rest mode.

ElNino

My rest mode works fine, aside from the PSVR breakout box not shutting down.

Xbox One's instant-on mode is way jankier than this.
My PSVR breakout box shuts down in rest mode. Maybe not right away, and it will always stay on when something is downloading in the background, but it definitely shuts down when in rest.

What's different about the Xbox implementation? They both seem to operate more or less the same to me.

Top Bottom