• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Rest Mode is the worst - can I just disable it?

Wereroku

Rest mode is super sensitive to electric supply. I ended up getting a UPS because I would have small blinks every once in a while and it would shut it off. Mostly I just power it down unless I know there is an update coming.

• Or you just hold down the power button until the second beep for a full shutdown. It amazes me how many people don't seem to know this.
That's a force power off, don't use that unless your PS4 becomes unresponsive. It's not good for it. Don't pull the power cable out while the PS4 is running either; that will also shut it down, and that's even worse for it.

NewDust

That's a force power off, don't use that unless your PS4 becomes unresponsive. It's not good for it. Don't pull the power cable out while the PS4 is running either; that will also shut it down, and that's even worse for it.

Total bogus.

From the Sony support site:

Turning off the power completely
You can turn off your PS4™ system in any of these ways.

Select (Power) from the function screen, and then select [Turn Off PS4].
Select [Power] > [Turn Off PS4] on the quick menu.
Press and hold the power button for at least 7 seconds (until the system beeps twice).

It's a totally valid way to shutdown the system. If you keep holding it after the 2nd beep, that's a forced shutdown.

Man, Rest Mode pretty much works fine for me. It's always resumed seamlessly and immediately into whatever game I had been playing. My only real complaint with it is that I usually can hear the fan from it humming, so I worry about unnecessarily wearing out my PS4 or using a bunch of power, but I looked it up and in theory, running a PS4 in Rest Mode most of the time instead of turning it off completely only makes a difference of about $10 a year where I live, so potentially wearing out the fan is about the only thing I'm worried about for all of the benefits I get.

gblues

Banned
OP, I had similar problems. And it was totally random when it would fail.

I sent it in to Sony for repair, and they claimed to have fixed it. It seemed to be working, but soon after I reconnected my network cable, it started acting up again.

I disconnected the network cable, and it's been solid.

So: if you're using a wired ethernet cable, try switching over to wifi and see if the problem persists.

Lucian

It's been said many, many times in this thread, but I think there's something wrong with your PS4. My launch PS4 did weird crap like this and Sony replaced mine. IIRC it was within the first 90 days of launch, so it was pretty painless. Not sure your situation with warranties and such, though.

I haven't had problems with rest mode since. It works great and I love it.

Ah yes my favorite kind of the thread. The "I'm having a very specific, not widespread problem with X console, and will make a thread talking about how X company/console sucks because of it" thread.

Edit: That seemed a bit mean spirited. Seriously though, like everyone has pretty much said you should try to send your console back. I know dozens of people who haven't experienced this with their PS4.

Total bogus.

From the Sony support site:

It's a totally valid way to shutdown the system. If you keep holding it after the 2nd beep, that's a forced shutdown.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's still a force power off. If you do it while the machine is in Rest mode for example then you'll be told your PS4 wasn't powered down correctly. It's clearly not gracefully powering down.

NewDust

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that's still a force power off. If you do it while the machine is in Rest mode for example then you'll be told your PS4 wasn't powered down correctly. It's clearly not gracefully powering down.

It is... It's the exact same as doing it from the menu. All it does is initiate the shutdown process. Quit spreading nonsense.

Also, would you turn off your pc by holding down the power button when it already is in standby mode? Obviously that causes issues. You (quick)boot and then power down.

Maybe it's because you're doing it from rest mode and not when the PS4 is on?

The rest mode works on my PS4 apart from the fans never shut off, ever. I've turned off the USB charging thing too and it still does it. It's pretty annoying.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The rest mode works on my PS4 apart from the fans never shut off, ever. I've turned off the USB charging thing too and it still does it. It's pretty annoying.

That's not good, it shouldn't stay hot enough for the fans to remain on with just the low-power processor even when not downloading anything.

Probably best to turn your PS4 completely off.

Something is definitely wrong with your console or outlet. Get it checked. Ive never has an issue with rest mode on my Pa4 Amateur or my PS4 Pro. In fact as a father who games rest mode with suspend is the real MVP!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
TL:DR: Sony fucked rest mode on PS4 and it's frankly embarrassing how broken it is. Please just let me turn it off entirely.

TL:DR OP attempts to make sweeping statements about issue local to his PS4 as a manufacturer's defect meanwhile the rest of us continue to use Rest Mode as intended.

SZips

As has been mentioned: Either your console hardware is fucked or your power is fucked at your house. Even a slight fluctuation in power could screw things up.

clintar

Well this is a dogpile. Think this points to maybe PS4 is more susceptible to power fluctuations when in low power mode than full-on-power mode, so those people with inconsistent power probably have issues like this. I'd try to get a small UPS and see if that makes it work better like has been suggested.

Apt101

I had similar problems to OP with my OG PS4. I eventually stopped using rest, just shut it down.

My PS4 Pro does not do this, but I still prefer just shutting it off.

So to summarize...

OP claims rest mode is broken, but it's actually his system that's messed up, not rest mode. Also doesn't check power settings on PS4 and instead asks GAF if turning off rest mode is a thing.

Then OP claims he knows what a power-symbol button means and how to turn off the PS4, but immediately admits that they don't know how to operate the PS4 in the following sentence... in the same post.

Good luck OP, and happy gaming!

hydruxo

Rest mode is great. Other than it not downloading updates sometimes I've never had a problem with it in the 3 and a half years I've had a PS4

TheFatMan

So to summarize...

OP claims rest mode is broken, but it's actually his system that's messed up, not rest mode. Also doesn't check power settings on PS4 and instead asks GAF if turning off rest mode is a thing.

Then OP claims he knows what a power-symbol button means and how to turn off the PS4, but immediately admits that they don't know how to operate the PS4 in the following sentence... in the same post.

Good luck OP, and happy gaming!

Yeah man I don't understand this post. Guy needs to contact Sony if he is having problems with rest mode like that, but refuses to acknowledge that his PS4 has a problem?

This isn't a wide spread problem but the OP thinks it is....very confusing post. Surprised it hasn't been shut down by a mod yet.

Ricky_R

Had rest mode issues with my Pro and had to return it. Second one worked/works as it should.

Didn't have that problem with OG PS4. The problem lies with your system, OP.

Tag fishing thread? Lol

No problems here, defo your system brobro. Not sure what you can do beyond disabling it for now, but in the future... RTFM

jacobeid

Banned
Yeah, I left it in rest mode last night and it was still pretty warm in the morning :/. Will shut it down completely from now on!

Do you own FFXV by any chance? When I woke up this morning the fans on my PS4 were going which was odd, so I turned it on and saw that it was in the middle of a 5+ gb update for FFXV. Could have been that.

Turn off your PS4 in software...don't use the power button.

That's what I've done since 2013.

That's what I do, and I've never had an issue. I would never have bought a PS4 Pro and kept it around if it didn't have rest mode and you couldn't just pop in and out of games whenever you wanted. Worked flawlessly for me everytime.

wege12

I haven't had a single issue with rest mode with both my launch PS4 and PS4 pro. I think it's actually a pretty convenient feature!

Mafro

The only thing that annoys me about rest mode is that it's prioritised over actually turning the PS4 off in the list when you hold the PS button and I keep accidentally putting it in rest mode.

Rest mode is super sensitive to electric supply. I ended up getting a UPS because I would have small blinks every once in a while and it would shut it off. Mostly I just power it down unless I know there is an update coming.

This explains why rest mode is giving me the same issues as the OP, the wiring in the apartment I currently live in is completely messed up, something I've only started to realize recently.

The only thing that annoys me about rest mode is that it's prioritised over actually turning the PS4 off in the list when you hold the PS button and I keep accidentally putting it in rest mode.
If you never use it and you find it annoying, you can disable it completely if you want. It removes the UI references to it as well:

You can completely disable Rest mode whenever you like. From the XMB (again, tapping the PS button on the controller will take you there if you're not there already) select Settings > Power Saving Settings > Set Features Available in Rest Mode. On that screen you'll see that it says in very large text: "Select the features you want to use in rest mode. If you don't select anything, the PS4 cannot enter rest mode." Let's follow that advice and deselect everything by setting "Supply Power to USB Ports > Off", and unticking "Stay Connected to the Internet" and "Keep Application Suspended". Now pressing the Power button on the front of the console will turn the PS4 off.

My power button is basically an RNG at this point: press and hope, see what happens. I gave up trying to use it for what it was meant for long ago, ironically now that I'm actively avoiding this "feature" it's actually more of a pain than when it was just a poorly implemented option.

How did they fuck this up so bad? It's standby mode for fuck's sake, it's not curing cancer.

They didn't, it works just fine, you clearly have a faulty machine. As mentioned try rebuilding databases. Failing that it could be that you've a stuck download/upload that seems to be keeping the machine in a low power download mode instead. But yeah the functionality works great, you are just the exception to the rule.

Schlomo

Nope. I did that a few times (and yes, I stopped let go immediately after the second beep), and I almost always had to restore database when I turned it on again.

ffvorax

I used it from dayone, never shut down my ps4, zero problems.

Your PS4 looks faulty, you should replace it I think.

Or just shut it down.

Haunted

- Who the fuck would reads a manual for a PlayStation?
I'd say that someone who is experiencing annoying, reproducable problems with a premier feature of the PS4 would be a prime candidate to RTFM. xD

Rest Mode on PS4 is very fast, Sleep Mode on Switch is instantaneous, my PC boot time from SSD takes mere seconds - I love how quick it is these days to get into the action. A far cry compared to the WiiU/PS3 and my old PC.

Top Bottom