• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Rest Mode is the worst - can I just disable it?

My power button is basically an RNG at this point: press and hope, see what happens. I gave up trying to use it for what it was meant for long ago, ironically now that I'm actively avoiding this "feature" it's actually more of a pain than when it was just a poorly implemented option.

How did they fuck this up so bad? It's standby mode for fuck's sake, it's not curing cancer.

Your console is broken, others don't have this problem. Are you even reading the replies in this thread?

busch03

Neo Member
Uhhh yeah it's def your system as everyone else has said. Don't see how you don't realize that, it was my first thought on reading your thread title

BumRush

My power button is basically an RNG at this point: press and hope, see what happens. I gave up trying to use it for what it was meant for long ago, ironically now that I'm actively avoiding this "feature" it's actually more of a pain than when it was just a poorly implemented option.

How did they fuck this up so bad? It's standby mode for fuck's sake, it's not curing cancer.

Why don't you press the PS button and shut down like that?

Kaizer

Banned
Yeah rest mode is kinda borked on my PS4 as well. Sometimes when I use it, the PS4 will randomly turn on and eject the game disc or there have been other times when it would turn on automatically with no game disc inserted and it won't stop chirping.

Thankfully, I haven't had any problems for a while, as long as I always turn the PS4 completely off and never use rest mode. I got my PS4 refurbished from Amazon so I have warranty for it, but I know I'll have to replace it at some point.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
In that case:

- Hold PS button on controller
- Go to power option
- Select turn off PS4

I literally don't think I've used the power button on the console since first-time startup.

Vistrix

As others have said, it has to be something wrong with your PS4 - get it checked out.

I couldn't do without rest mode.

morpix

If you turn off Rest Mode stuff, like downloading/updating and USB power, it defaults to a proper shutdown on the power button.

jayu26

Man, I love rest mode. So quick and easy, plus let's you buy games online and get home to them already downloaded.

Only thing I'll never ever ever ever ever understand is why trophies will not auto-sync once per day when my PS4 is in rest mode.

My Vita does it. Heck my PS3 doesn't even have a rest mode and it does it.
It should sync and upload save to cloud every time you purchase it is rest mode. This might be PS+ only feature however.

I don't think there is anything wrong with my PS4, that's a weirdly specific issue if so. It works fine otherwise.

I know how to turn it off with the controller, just sometimes I decide I want to turn it off when I'm standing right next to it

Put your fiinger on the power button and wait for the second bip.
Already said in this thread

Kinyou

Add me to the crowd who thinks there's something wrong with the ps4. Having to rebuild the database after rest mode does absolutely not sound like something that should happen (and never did to me)

PulseONE

Add me to the crowd who thinks there's something wrong with the ps4. Having to rebuild the database after rest mode doesn't sound like something that should happen (and never did to me)

It only does that if the PS4 loses power while in rest mode, so I'm assuming it's an issue with his power supply or an issue with power in his/her house

Add me to the crowd who thinks there's something wrong with the ps4. Having to rebuild the database after rest mode does absolutely not sound like something that should happen (and never did to me)

Yes rebuilding the database only happens after inproper shutdown.

mollipen

I don't think there is anything wrong with my PS4, that's a weirdly specific issue if so. It works fine otherwise.

6csWFCy.png

Please imagine this scenario, OP.

You and ten friends all buy identical alarm clocks. You all go home and begin using your alarm clocks and don't convene on your experience for some time. But in that time, your alarm clock works perfectly. Particularly its much beloved alarm feature that wakes you up when you tell it to. It is the most popular clock on the market and is the standard for all rival clockmakers.

After a while, you and your ten friends meet up and one complains that the alarm clock manufacturer really fucked it up. Not only are the buttons broken, but its much touted alarm feature doesn't even work. They're constantly pressing buttons which don't respond and their alarm never goes off when they set it to. It doesn't even keep time correctly. Sometimes they can get it working for a little while, but the rest of the time the alarm doesn't work, the buttons do nothing, and the time is wrong.

Neither you nor anyone else you know has experienced this problem. But your friend insists it is the manufacturer and a problem with the implementation of one of its premiere features. You keep telling them that they have a faulty clock and their problems are unique, but they keep saying that's not the problem despite all evidence to the contrary.

What would you say to your friend?

eXistor

I use rest mode all the time and have never had problems wth my old PS4 and my Pro. It should work flawless or at least very close to flawless. If not, your console is busted.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
It should sync and upload save to cloud every time you purchase it is rest mode. This might be PS+ only feature however.

You are correct. Patches for recently played games, saved games, all automatically downloaded.

But trophy information does not automatically sync on PS4... unless there was a change I missed in the latest firmware.

Years of troubleshooting lead me to wonder if there is an issue with intermittent power, possibly outside the PS4, the outlet, cat's bumping plugs, who knows? Or a PS4 issue that only shows itself in Power Save mode. Not inconceivable either.

dEvAnGeL

Can't imagine my ps4 without rest mode, specially when I'm playing a single player game and need to head out unexpectedly, i simply put the game on rest and start right back where i was on my next gaming session

Dude, it works for 99 percent of the people using a PS4. The other 1 percent have a broken PS4. It's not the feature, it's your console. I've had rest mode go wonky exactly one time in the hundreds of times I've used it.

The Goat

My only problem with rest mode, and this has only been on the Pro, is that HDCP breaks upon resume, and my screen goes black and/or flashes black until I do a full restart. It really sucks :/

As many have stated already, definitely sounds like something is wrong with your PS4. Never had issues using rest mode on mine.

This. I never use rest mode and I don't think I've ever turned it off by using the actual button. I turn the console on with the controller button too.

This. You can also disable rest mode from even being an option in the menu I believe by messing with something in the system settings. I think I just have an option to turn it off. And I'm surprised by how many other people don't use their controllers to turn their console on/off or eject discs. I haven't touched the power or eject buttons on either my PS3 or PS4 unless my system locks up completely.

jayu26

You are correct. Patches for recently played games, saved games, all automatically downloaded.

But trophy information does not automatically sync on PS4... unless there was a change I missed in the latest firmware.
I will pay closer attention. That would be a weird oversight by them. Where is the suggestion box for adding features in the update.

I know how to turn it off with the controller, just sometimes I decide I want to turn it off when I'm standing right next to it.

You have two options here:

1st option: Continue to make threads regarding this issue and continue receiving responses that all seem to indicate that it's a problem isolated with you and other similarly defective ps4s

Or

2nd option: entertain the idea that your narrative is incorrect and that the flaw lies in a manufacturer defect and proceed to call Sony to get it swapped

It's quite simple really.

NinjaBoiX

I have read the other posts in this thread but:

- what's the point in rebuilding the database when it does this like half the time I boot the thing up

- I know how to turn it off with the controller but this is iffy too

- it may be a hardware fault but it seems unlikely given how clearly it seems to be a software/firmware fault. It just seems like a very strange hardware fault no?
there is no reason to use the power button - i personally have never used it.

hold PS button on controller -> Power -> Turn off PS4.
Apart from when it makes sense to use it?

"I'm stood at my PS4 right next to the power button but it makes a lot more sense to walk over to my controller, press and hold a button and navigate through a menu than simply press the big off button that's right next to me."

They put the button there for a reason mane.
If you turn off Rest Mode stuff, like downloading/updating and USB power, it defaults to a proper shutdown on the power button.
Sweet, I didn't know that. Cheers.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Rest mode has worked fine on 2 different PS4s for me. I mean, when you turn it off via the menu you get the option for a full power off. Use that.

But it definitely sounds like your PS4 has something wrong with it.

HardRojo

A quick search would've told you that you needed to hold the power button for 5 seconds for it to completely shut down. It works completely fine for me and many gaffers it seems, so have your console checked.

Ricker

I love rest mode. I don't know how I'd play the Witcher 3 without it

Yep or MGS5 that I finally started this week lol...on those long mission,being stealthy and all where one mistake takes you back to start,it comes in handy...rest mode,I will pick it back up exactly where I was tomorrow...

Also never had any problems with it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I have read the other posts in this thread but:

- what's the point in rebuilding the database when it does this like half the time I boot the thing up

- I know how to turn it off with the controller but this is iffy too

- it may be a hardware fault but it seems unlikely given how clearly it seems to be a software/firmware fault. It just seems like a very strange hardware fault no?

6d9wuVC.gif

mnannola

My rest mode is a complete crapshoot. Sometimes it works great, other times my PS4 ends up turned off, and then wont turn back on unless I unplug it for a few minutes and back on again.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
I've always had issues with rest mode on my PS4, it barely works for me so I just stopped using it. 75% of the time it would just shut down altogether but require a database rebuild upon reboot, then shut down again, then reboot so I gave up.

But now when I simply ask my PS4 to turn off (with the actual power button) it invariably goes into rest mode when I don't even want it to. And not a-single-orange-LED rest mode but fan-constantly-whirring-clearly-using-a-pointless-amount-of-power rest mode.

It's a constant pain, it barely works when I want it to and often works when I don't. It's quite literally worse than useless to me.

Can I just disable it altogether somehow?

TL:DR: Sony fucked rest mode on PS4 and it's frankly embarrassing how broken it is. Please just let me turn it off entirely.

TL;DR: Your console is fucked and is not working as intending and you are blaming Sony.

Top Bottom