• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells 181.000 units in Spain (soon 205.000)

Microsoft spent 20 Millions of € in marketing for XONE in Spain, definitively not a good business.
So that's roughly 571€ in advertising per console sold.

That's why I don't understand the cries of, "Just wait until they launch in Tier 2!" and instead wonder if there's any point in launching in Tier 2 at all. Sounds like they'd have been better off not even launching in Spain at all, so how is Poland, etc. gonna help them?

DonaldDuck

Neo Member
The point here is not if the stock of PS4 is stable now, with units available for purchase after 2 months without supply. What that means is that demand is becoming surpassed by stock; the point is that XBO is not being sold in any meaningful numbers.

PS4 numbers in Spain are really good and could have been better without a doubt with more units available during Christmas. XBO numbers are atrocious after the initial, logical boost of any console launch. And that´s the more important thing.

It will be really relevant to know XBO sales in Europe during the period until Titanfall is out. They could be really poor. Higher price, lower performance, a camera not well understood... There´re very few things to counter that in mainland Europe.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
It will be really relevant to know XBO sales in Europe during the period until Titanfall is out. They could be really poor. Higher price, lower performance, a camera not well understood... There´re very few things to counter that in mainland Europe.
With steadier supply to European countries PS4 will just widen the gap.

I think that Titanfall will not be such hit in Europe as some people think. Majority of sales will be on PC.

Steroyd

If MS don't at least keep track with Sony in America we could be looking at a Nintendo like problem for the X1.

I wouldn't go to that extreme, they'll still get support if they do slightly better than original Xbox numbers for example, the main point is software sells, which is what is killing Nintendo's console.

I'm confused, don't the boxes in that pic say PS3? Or is there an inside joke that flew over my head?

Start with this post

Bit of a thread hijack(?) but for what it's worth, I went around a bunch of stores in Wellington, NZ today and basically they've only got a handful of pre-orders so you'll be able to just walk in and pick one up come Tuesday. Apparently, demand dropped right off after Christmas and a lot of people got fed-up with "join the queue" and, well, didn't.

So Kiwis in the capital that don't have one, there you.

Was thinking about maybe picking up one myself.

They'll probably also start advertising it again, now.

And follow that conversation in the thread if you really care to learn the origin of the NZ PS4 demand joke

I wouldn't go to that extreme, they'll still get support if they do slightly better than original Xbox numbers for example, the main point is software sells, which is what is killing Nintendo's console.

No, I could see the X1 dropping off everywhere outside the X1. It's an more expensive, and less capable. Not to mention what little advantages it could have are targeted at the American audience (most of them don't even work). I think it's safe to say the Non-NA marketshare is going to decrease significantly compared to the 360. Outside of the hardcore Xbox faithful, it's not going to go very far.

That's why I don't understand the cries of, "Just wait until they launch in Tier 2!" and instead wonder if there's any point in launching in Tier 2 at all. Sounds like they'd have been better off not even launching in Spain at all, so how is Poland, etc. gonna help them?

They need something to hope for. Fact is, only reason the 360 stayed on par was it's massive NA lead. That's gone now. It's time to face the truth, releasing in other countries, as you said, won't do much. The X1 is already in all it's major consoles.

#oops

I almost feel bad for them

Almost, but at the same time I'm glad. MS dug this hole for themselves, now they get to find their way out of it (and hopefully, the come out stronger for it next gen).

Melchiah

Remember when a few of the Xbox loyalists were saying the FIFA pack-in would help Microsoft gain market share in Europe?

Crazy how much XBO has been pushed here in comparison to the PS4 and the sales aren't even close.

Speaking of the FIFA bundle.... the XB1 isn't officially released here in Finland yet, but a large webstore has imported units available at a really steep price.

Dedj9skl.jpg

I wonder how many are going to bite at that price, considering the PS4 costs 429-449€ here? I visited the place on thursday to get my copy of Tomb Raider, and there was a handful of units piled up in the store.

Skeff

oh dear, that's terrible. oh dear....

That's gotta hurt.

spwolf

The point here is not if the stock of PS4 is stable now, with units available for purchase after 2 months without supply. What that means is that demand is becoming surpassed by stock; the point is that XBO is not being sold in any meaningful numbers.

PS4 numbers in Spain are really good and could have been better without a doubt with more units available during Christmas. XBO numbers are atrocious after the initial, logical boost of any console launch. And that´s the more important thing.

yep, thats main problem for sure...

Chobel

Holy shit!

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
2.7 millions PS3 in Spain. Guessing that is lifetime sales

Yes, those are lifetime sales and looking at the PS4 numbers, it's going to sell far more than the PS3 did. Europe was always pro Sony but this generation there's been an even bigger move to Sony, helped of course by the fact the PS4 didn't release 16 months after the competition.

Two things MS have is a willingness to react and deep pockets - be interesting to see if they pull an OG Xbox, and do a massive price cut.

Price parity with PS4 would make life very interesting (and something they should have done from day 1 IMO)... at that point the discussion becomes more about the exclusives.

Quite simply the things MS see as key differentiators (TV, Kinect) simply don't resonate with gamers as much as PS4's differentiator (performance, price).

Hypron

Two things MS have is a willingness to react and deep pockets - be interesting to see if they pull an OG Xbox, and do a massive price cut.

Price parity with PS4 would make life very interesting (and something they should have done from day 1 IMO)... at that point the discussion becomes more about the exclusives.

Quite simply the things MS see as key differentiators (TV, Kinect) simply don't resonate with gamers as much as PS4's differentiator (performance, price).

There's also the fact that the TV features are pretty worthless outside of the US.

Steroyd

Dat marketing blitz. Says it all when it turns out cheaper just giving consoles away. o_O

No, I could see the X1 dropping off everywhere outside the X1. It's an more expensive, and less capable. Not to mention what little advantages it could have are targeted at the American audience (most of them don't even work). I think it's safe to say the Non-NA marketshare is going to decrease significantly compared to the 360. Outside of the hardcore Xbox faithful, it's not going to go very far.

I agree, not seeing where the Xbox One will equal or beat the Xbox 360 anywhere to be honest, but bear in mind that the original Xbox did well enough that it's successor managed to convince previously Sony only 3rd party titles to "Jump In" so I don't think software sales will ever dry up to Nintendo levels not even laughably close.

As long as COD and the like sells millions on the console, how many hardware units they sell shouldn't matter.

Skeff

Dat marketing blitz. Says it all when it turns out cheaper just giving consoles away. o_O

I agree, not seeing where the Xbox One will equal or beat the Xbox 360 anywhere to be honest, but bear in mind that the original Xbox did well enough that it's successor managed to convince previously Sony only 3rd party titles to "Jump In" so I don't think software sales will ever dry up to Nintendo levels not even laughably close.

As long as COD and the like sells millions on the console, how many hardware units they sell shouldn't matter.

They certainly won't lose any big games, but some of the mid tier games from smaller studios may go PS only, especially games that traditionally don't sell as well on the xbox platform or in the NA region.

Field

Speaking of the FIFA bundle.... the XB1 isn't officially released here in Finland yet, but a large webstore has imported units available at a really steep price.

Dedj9skl.jpg

I wonder how many are going to bite at that price, considering the PS4 costs 429-449€ here? I visited the place on thursday to get my copy of Tomb Raider, and there was a handful of units piled up in the store.
Same here in Iceland Xbone has been for sale since early December for 724€. PS4 officially launched here last Wednesday at 512€ and is sold out with next shipment being in March.

Probably seen you there on Thursday, did make me giggle that it's a "grey" market import item and it's still not selling. I have a bone order ready for pickup @ €549 but I think I will leave it there.

Incidently I seen the first PS4's in the wild here on Thursday, Prisma in Kannelmäki had 9 units on display.

2014-01-30%2014.08.12.jpg

Steroyd

They certainly won't lose any big games, but some of the mid tier games from smaller studios may go PS only, especially games that traditionally don't sell as well on the xbox platform or in the NA region.

That happened on the Xbox 360 regardless, notably when MS stopped trying to bring in all creed of hardcore gamers, there's also a question mark on indies to.

If MS don't at least keep track with Sony in America we could be looking at a Nintendo like problem for the X1.

I wouldn't go to that extreme.

Oh, but I would my young padwan. Yurop is a lost cause to them. Bone hardware decisions are so laughable you wouldn't believe they would be dumb enough to make these next-console mistakes at the height of the 360, yet here we are.

They have lost worldwide with zero chance of any comeback (unlike early PS3) and now they only have USA left and even that at is risk of eventually going into a distant second place that 3rd parties will actively avoid it due to bad ROI.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Oh, but I would my young padwan. Yurop is a lost cause to them. Bone hardware decisions are so laughable you wouldn't believe they would be dumb enough to make these next-console mistakes at the height of the 360, yet here we are.

They have lost worldwide with zero chance of any comeback (unlike early PS3) and now they only have USA left and even that at is risk of eventually going into a distant second place that 3rd parties will actively avoid it due to bad ROI.

Yes, the PS4 is currently outselling the X1 in Europe by around 3.5:1 with some territories selling at the bigger ratio of 5:1 (Spain) and some lower at 1.2:1 (UK), with NO indication of that ratio getting smaller. In fact the indications are that it's getting bigger. Japan is going to be an even bigger ratio. That leaves America and both consoles are currently selling about the same. Given that the PS4 has been short on supply and selling out every time it's back in stock, and the X1 is still plentiful, it goes without question that once Sony can meet demand, the PS4 is likely to start pulling away in America too.

I fully expected XB1 sales to drop off a cliff after Christmas and you can expect a similar scenario worldwide, except for the US.

Even in the UK that £430 price is slightly absurd and sell-through is going to slow right down.

Meanwhile the PS4 isn't going to see such a dramatic decline in demand simply because of the price and the fact that so many people were unable to get one until recently. Then, looking into my crystal ball, PS4 is going to probably sell-through 400-500k units around Japan launch window, and certainly post MGS5's release there in early March.

So these next few weeks are going to be an uncomfortable time for MS from an install base perspective.

Skeff

That happened on the Xbox 360 regardless, notably when MS stopped trying to bring in all creed of hardcore gamers, there's also a question mark on indies to.

oh yea, but I mean it will happen more so than it did with the 360.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
Just wait for the inevitable disc drive hack and watch Xbones sales skyrocket. commodore4eva will save MS. Again.

Melchiah

Probably seen you there on Thursday, did make me giggle that it's a "grey" market import item and it's still not selling. I have a bone order ready for pickup @ €549 but I think I will leave it there.

Incidently I seen the first PS4's in the wild here on Thursday, Prisma in Kannelmäki had 9 units on display.

2014-01-30%2014.08.12.jpg

Heh. Well, if you remember seeing a bald guy in a black attire roaming around the store. =)

I still haven't seen a single PS4 unit in the wild, but I took this pic at the Sello shopping center's Anttila a couple of weeks ago. Seems like Sony is putting the PS4 into the limelight here, and demo units have started appearing at the stores.

fpUzygfl.jpg

Same here in Iceland Xbone has been for sale since early December for 724€. PS4 officially launched here last Wednesday at 512€ and is sold out with next shipment being in March.

Huh, the price difference is even greater there.

Raist

Banned
I'm eager for Portugal, polland and lienchestein numbers threads. Sales-gaf never ceases to amase me.

Some numbers, since you're asking.
1= console+handheld market in billion US$
2= population in million
3= console+handheld market in US$/capita

Numbers are for 2012 and sorted from highest to lowest US$/capita.

Congratulations, Ireland.
Considering the really bad economical situation in Spain, they're not doing too bad (only ~half of US numbers).

Code:
IRE	0.24	4.6	52.2
SKR	2.13	50.0	42.6
AUS	0.91	22.8	39.9
UK	2.11	63.7	33.1
FRA	2.00	62.8	31.8
SWI	0.23	8.0	28.8
USA	8.7	312.8	27.8
SWE	0.24	9.0	26.7
JPN	3.34	127.9	26.1
CAN	0.80	34.5	23.2
BEL	0.25	11.1	22.5
FIN	0.12	5.4	22.2
NOR	0.10	5.0	20.0
GER	1.60	80.5	19.9
DEN	0.11	5.6	19.6
NL	0.32	16.7	19.2
ITA	0.84	59.4	14.1
SPA	0.63	46.2	13.6
POL	0.20	38.5	5.2
CHI	0.11	1343.2	0.1

yurinka

181K units sold until now sounds as a record number for a Spanish launch, even more considering it has been really hard to find PS4 in the stores during a lot of time.
2.7 millions PS3 in Spain. Guessing that is lifetime sales
Yep, LTD. Spain must be the most sonier country in the world. Here the PlayStation brand is really powerful.

Raist

Banned
aw yeah, I wonder how PS4 is doing here

Preorders were really high apparently.
Impossible to estimate otherwise. Chart Track used to post Irish charts but the last week they reported was the one just before the PS4 launch, bizarrely. No idea why.

Top Bottom