• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells through 1 million units on Day 1 in NA, best start in PS / console history

Just for reference vs the Nintendo Wii (according to Wikipedia): On November 28, 2006, Nintendo reported that it had sold over 600,000 consoles in the first eight days of launch in the Americas
That's their launch shipment number; people are saying this is a sell-through number.

The Wii sold through 476K in NPD November 2006.

Not sure if it means anything, but a lot of places (JB included) are still taking preorders for the xbone and promising day 1 pickups, whereas ps4 has been sold out for a while now AND ships a week after the xbone.

Australia will be sony land!

Same here in NZ. No retailers have sold out of their Day One bundle allocation and it's not for lack of trying. There's going to be a lot of Xbone's sitting on shelves next Friday.

Into

Truth be told the Wii could have done 1+ million, Nintendo just could not ship more and underestimated its appeal. Bet the original Wii could have done some insane numbers had there been stock, but the same applies to PS2 which also saw even worse shortages.

PlayStation consoles have always had this shortage issue, even worse than consoles. But this time they actually, somehow rectified it, either better planning or because they are not using exotic hardware, which makes it easier to mass produce it.

Well done Sony. Sounds like a logistical nightmare.

I'm sure it's a nightmare that they don't really mind dealing with ;).

Congrats to Sony though, its good to see gamers back up Sony for giving us a console that we want. Can't wait to see EU numbers, as well as how MS details their sales.

cebri.one

Europe will be quite interesting too, although it's largely Sony's territory they are a week later so I think it's going to be as simple as some people just not wanting to wait another week.

LOL no. In Spain preorders are 9:1 in some stores. PS3 beated 360 easily here and it came out a year later, one week is not going to matter at all.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Press release:

TOKYO, Nov. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the highly anticipated launch of the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system resulted in 1 million units sold through during the first 24 hours after it became available on November 15, 2013 in the United States and Canada.
(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20020701/SFM066LOGO)

"PS4™ was designed with an unwavering commitment to gamers, and we are thrilled that consumer reaction has been so phenomenal," said Andrew House, President and Group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. "Sales remain very strong in North America, and we expect continued enthusiasm as we launch the PlayStation 4 in Europe and Latin America on November 29. We are extremely grateful for the passion of PlayStation fans and thank them for their continued support."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...s-in-north-america-in-24-hours-232248401.html

dolemite

I don't really think that Boyes tweet confirms anything - a sold to retail is a sale as well - only Yoshida's tweet can be taken as meaning sell through because that's what he wrote; would be good if someone could issue a clear statement, or if NPD would issue some sort of first day/week report.

IF the PS2 could do ridiculous numbers over 10 years ago, then why not a $400 PS4 today. NPD will confirm that in a month or so.

Too bad they're basically ignoring the europeans. The shipment numbers to non-XBO countries are a joke. So, we don't get Xbox One, and it's practically impossible to find a PS4 until next year as well.

Really? I'm in a non XBO launch country and in my tiny-ass backwater village I got one by being number 5 on the list. I would expect numbers to still be pretty significant throughout the larger places.

I-hate-u

Just for reference vs the Nintendo Wii (according to Wikipedia): On November 28, 2006, Nintendo reported that it had sold over 600,000 consoles in the first eight days of launch in the Americas

Pretty sure that Nintendo had stock issues for a long time and I vaguely remember the Wii took off a little bit after launch

Consumers congratulating a corporation is a real Jackie Chan meme for me. What is it about consumer electronics that makes people treat it like a sporting event?

Stimpack

Nice. And people said that console gaming was dying huh.....

A had a friend who talked a lot of smack about how console gaming was dead, and no one was interested in the next generation. Do you think he would confess that he was in the wrong? Hell no, but at least I'll know he was!

KORNdoggy

If the dont decisively deal with broken consoles issue fast, their momentum can be slowed massively. The PS4 is riding a wave of good press, good marketing and a good price. But a vocal word of mouth can throw all that away.

That didn't seem to happen with the 360. People, myself included, ate up those failures. Once i hit console 5 i took my gaming elsewhere. As long as these issues are just day 1 issues (obvious faults that can be remedied via replacement either with sony or the store you bought it from) i don't see it as much of an issue. If this becomes a reliability problem, where in 9months time a lot of people's PS4's are dying on their arse...That's the thing i'm worried about. But again MS did fine with a console with diabolical reliability...sony will probably do fine too.

Impressive numbers though for 1 region. They should easily hit their 5million target for years end.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
But consoles are dead.

The world is too busy playing Facebook games on their iPads or whatever.

Thanks. :)

537.gif

This is incredibly impressive.

JP

The problem here is that MS is reportedly having issues with manufacturing enough Xbones, which is why they are launching it in so few countries. You can't sell what you can't make, and right now Sony's easily out-making MS in terms of how many PS4s Sony can produce versus how many Xbones MS can produce. In a race to see who can sell more, assuming demand will always ensure a sellout (and it should at launch), the one who can make more will obviously sell more.
Yeah, I get the feeling that both companies could have done with another month or two before launching but obviously Christmas and Black Friday is important to them and Microsoft couldn't allow Sony to have free reign this winter so really had to launch in some places.

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft released global sales figures rather than local ones to avoid direct comparisons and maybe they'll do it for the whole week rather than just launch day.

AOC83

Banned
So much for "But but console gaming is dead!!!!".
Give the people what they want and they will buy it in droves.

Soriku

Pretty great numbers. Don't know if I should say surprising though. The market's definitely grown (good thing) and Nintendo and MS are practically handing Sony this generation on a platter.

adixon

This makes me really happy. I think because it shows console gaming has a lot more life left in it than some forward thinking tech investors like to think. I hope the Xbox One does better than anyone expects as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft released global sales figures rather than local ones to avoid direct comparisons and maybe they'll do it for the whole week rather than just launch day.

Wouldn't be surprised? I'm 99% confident MS will tout global sales figures.

NHale

I'm struggling to see why people are saying "Shipped not sold" when it seems that the console is sold out almost everywhere.

Is this the 1st stage of denial?

Because in the end I think people realize that it benefits us all that we have more of these successes and less Wii U's.

Maybe. I don't think the number of units Sony shifts is going to alter the spiral towards mediocrity and projects greenlit based on return on investment that's been happening in the last decade.

Even then, I find it weird. Like do we congratulate Colgate on selling a boatload of a new toothpaste?

Top Bottom