• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells through 1 million units on Day 1 in NA, best start in PS / console history

Feorax

Incredible numbers.

Won't mean much for a while, but if Sony keeps it up, it's going to have a massive influence on where third parties focus their efforts this gen.

I'm struggling to see why people are saying "Shipped not sold" when it seems that the console is sold out almost everywhere.

Is this the 1st stage of denial?

Denial is the first stage. ;)

Yeah, I think that "sold through" is oddly specific wording if they are just talking about shipped consoles. Also whats so hard to believe about the console doing well? Has there been any indication that PS4s wouldn't be pretty much sold out for a while?

ICPEE

REkH2Pn.gif

Congratulations, Sony.
Jesus. Best GIF by a mile. Fuggin awesome

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Thinking about that stream of traditional games that is now forthcoming... <3

If you're on GAF you should be damn happy.

nib95

Banned
Consumers congratulating a corporation is a real Jackie Chan meme for me. What is it about consumer electronics that makes people treat it like a sporting event?

Because people are happy with their purchase, and wish success on the company that sold it to them? For gamers it makes double sense, because the bigger the sale numbers, the more software support they get, and the more chance there is on new projects and games being green lit and so forth.

...how?! There isn't even anything really good for it and there's no Wii-esque novelty factor. Mind you I'm getting it tomorrow and I'm incredibly hyped for what's to come, and glad to hear this, but right now I really don't understand what's driving this kind of insane reception. Maybe the marketing in the media is really phenomenal? I'm pretty insulated from that kind of thing.

Press release:

TOKYO, Nov. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the highly anticipated launch of the PlayStation®4 (PS4&#8482;) computer entertainment system resulted in 1 million units sold through during the first 24 hours after it became available on November 15, 2013 in the United States and Canada.
(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20020701/SFM066LOGO)

"PS4&#8482; was designed with an unwavering commitment to gamers, and we are thrilled that consumer reaction has been so phenomenal," said Andrew House, President and Group CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. "Sales remain very strong in North America, and we expect continued enthusiasm as we launch the PlayStation 4 in Europe and Latin America on November 29. We are extremely grateful for the passion of PlayStation fans and thank them for their continued support."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...s-in-north-america-in-24-hours-232248401.html

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

Every single unit shipped, UK might be the only country in the world where Xbox One outsells PS4 due to 360 vs PS3 sales and Fifa bundle.

you can buy a ps4 and fifa for less than a bone+ fifa bundle. MS lost UK as soon as their launch price was announced higher than the ps3 launchprice

Thoraxes

I'm struggling to see why people are saying "Shipped not sold" when it seems that the console is sold out almost everywhere.

Usually we don't get concrete metrics like this so fast, and since shipped isn't as finite as the other, it's just safer to say that over the other.

We're too used to companies like Samsung over-shipping Galaxies to retailers, then tout shipment numbers instead of sell-out figures.

The press release from Sony (above) says "sold through". It's not shipped. Title is misleading.

I-hate-u

Maybe. I don't think the number of units Sony shifts is going to alter the spiral towards mediocrity and projects greenlit based on return on investment that's been happening in the last decade.

Even then, I find it weird. Like do we congratulate Colgate on selling a boatload of a new toothpaste?

But Playstation has fans that are passionate about their brand.

Thoraxes

It'll be interesting to see how it holds up after the holiday season.

It should be fun to watch Jan-Mar where the releases are way more sparse, and the core early-adopters are mostly accounted for. They have great momentum and word-of-mouth right now though, so let's see if they have what it takes to keep it up.

Rflagg

Consumers congratulating a corporation is a real Jackie Chan meme for me. What is it about consumer electronics that makes people treat it like a sporting event?

A lot of this is because so many have said console gaming is dying and more then a few sites going so far as to say it has no place in the current market etc. This number will only help traditional gaming.

Congrats Sony!

Mine is bought but I still have to wait a few more days/weeks to get my hands on it (depending on the good will of the post office/customs).

...how?! There isn't even anything really good for it and there's no Wii-esque novelty factor. Mind you I'm getting it tomorrow and I'm incredibly hyped for what's to come, and glad to hear this, but right now I really don't understand what's driving this kind of insane reception. Maybe the marketing in the media is really phenomenal? I'm pretty insulated from that kind of thing.

Playstation core fans + Hunger for next-gen + 3rd party launch titles.

As much as some press likes to say there's no exclusives at launch and that gamers should wait, majority of sales are driven by the popular 3rd-party games and the Playstation hardcore. There's more than enough of them to push sales.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

They have been firing on all cylinders since the PlayStation PR event in February, as far as we can see from the outside, and keep on accumulating consumers' goodwill and it is paying off.

wotta

It's irrelevant (shipped vs sold) really as other threads suggest that the consoles is practically sold out everywhere.

Into

The biggest misconception on GAF regarding consoles and sales is that software alone moves hardware, it does not. There is empirical evidence proving that to be false.

People buy consoles for other reasons other than just current exclusive games that have come out, which is what many believe here is what sells consoles. They buy it for the hype and promise of more games in the future, it is a investment. There was this idea being pushed that PS4 has no major exclusives out right now, thus it will sell poorly, again completely missing the point why people buy consoles at launch.

The PS2 is a prime example of that, it sold like hot cakes and had no major releases until Gran Turismo 3 A Spec. Tekken Tag and Kessen were not the reasons why the PS2 flew off the shelves for months leading up to GT3, there is more to selling consoles than just games.

It'll be interesting to see how it holds up after the holiday season.

It should be fun to watch Jan-Mar where the releases are way more sparse, and the core early-adopters get all of theirs.

Driveclub is in Jan and Infamous is in March. Feb looks dry. Not sure about third party releases though.

Petrae

But consoles are dead.

The world is too busy playing Facebook games on their iPads or whatever.

While the hyperbole of the console sector "dying" was always silly, sector contraction in this new generation is still a possibility. Strong start out of the gate doesn't necessarily equate to consistently strong performance once the early adopter segment of consumers is satisfied.

It's a promising sign, and good for Sony considering how difficult it was for the company out of the gate last gen, but there's still a long way to go.

SmokyDave

Sold a million on day one?

Phwoar. That's impressive.

Many many many sales. The question is, can PS4 beat Xbox in England?
Anecdotal, but I'm guessing 'yes'. There are plenty of places where I can still preorder an XBone, but try and preorder a PS4 and you'll get a vague 'maybe before Xmas'. They'll sell whatever they ship over here for a while, I reckon.

I'm going to track one down if it kills me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How do preorders for in store pickup work - do you have the ability to collect during the weekend? If so, then those wouldn't be counted in the sell through numbers so it'll bump up a little as everyone finally picks up their preorders

Top Bottom