• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells through 6.2 million units worldwide during the 2016 holiday season

AwRy108

They deserve every sale, it's a tremendous gaming platform. Wouldn't hesitate for even a second to recommend it to someone wanting to play games.

N.Domixis

Banned
C1XsqgBXcAI9ASY.jpg:large

raw

Surprised its managed to get ahead again.

No, I believe that 53 million number is sold-through

correct
but if you estimate 3.6 m ps4 on shelfs and in transit, they still need to ship 3m in q4fy2016

q4fy2014 sony shipped 2.4m ps4
q4fy2015 sony shipped 2.3m ps4

kind of impossible to reach the 60m goal imho

Yeah it is. We actually don't have shipped numbers which is kind of funny.

it's not
wait for 2nd february and you'll get shipment numbers

Almost 9 million in less than a year for Uncharted 4? I wonder what's the cumulative sales for The Last of Us? Last we heard was 2014 I think and it was 8 million (7m on PS3 and 1m on PS4 more or less).

Sony are gonna get close to that 60m shipment but fall just a tad short of it I think. Unless maybe Horizon becomes a major hit.

I'm thinking they hit about 58

Almost 9 million in less than a year for Uncharted 4? I wonder what's the cumulative sales for The Last of Us? Last we heard was 2014 I think and it was 8 million (7m on PS3 and 1m on PS4 more or less).

It's gotta' be way more than 1 million on PS4. That game was heavily bundled for awhile.

So if 53 million is sold-through then Sony most likely needs to ship roughly 5 million between now and March 31st. It can happen

no they can't ship 5 million between now and march 31
the shipped 2.3 million last year in the same timeframe
2.4 million the year before
q4 is always the lowest number

I asked, and I have received. Getting above the PS2 again is absolutely phenomenal.

It's mostly because PS2 and PS4 hit holiday quarters at different times in that chart though. Still while PS4 will not probably hit the hardware numbers of PS2 it will be easily the most profitable console Sony has ever released. Sony is forecasting record profits for Games division this FY.

jmaine_ph

Obviously Sony is only announcing these numbers because they want to soften the blow of them losing the December NPD 😌

Alo0oy

Banned
How many of those Uncharted 4s are the bundle? Gotta be at least half of that 8.7 million, right?

That's absurdly high, it shouldn't be more than 1-1.5 million. A lot of games get bundled every year, but very very few games reach 9 million.

Vena

Impressive that PS4 is holding up so well against PS2 worldwide, especially when you consider the performance in Japan.

Deferred launches, and the holidays are offset on that calendar, the PS2 will leap ahead when it hits its holiday as it is behind.

That's absurdly high, it shouldn't be more than 1-1.5 million. A lot of games get bundled every year, but very very few games reach 9 million.

half is to much, but 1 - 1.5m is way to low
this gen some game bundles sell millions

the AC: Unity Xbox One Bundle sold close to 2m units in the US alone (the first 2 months)

Elios83

6.2m in less than a month and half and sold through numbers as well.
Really impressive stuff. The Black Friday and December sales were really strong.
With this sold through I expect Q3 shipments for the whole October-December quarter to be close to 8.5m. That would mean around 15.9m PS4 shipped from April to December and more than 4m units to ship in their Q4 to meet their original 20m target. I find that unlikely unless they're planning a permanent price cut to 249$ and big bundles.
They'll still achieve a growth over last year though.

It is pretty insane that it is keeping up with the PS2. No way it matches the PS2 total sales volume but even keeping pace with it for as long as it has is incredible

Top Bottom