• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 slim leaked?

Corto

#teamreal

v30npCS.gif

GlamFM

Banned
#teamfake

would totally buy though... If it´s not as loud as the regular one.

And not as cheaply made.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Whoever put it together went in a bit too hard on the size of the thing. Aside from all the other giveaways, it's way too small to be believable.

ViciousDS

Banned
Those photos look like the exact same shit the one gaffer on here does.....like the forza 6 console bundle....again cell phone shots and not direct caps of the screen. Fake

AngryMoth

Looks too small to be real, but I like the design.

Getting a ps4 before bloodborne comes ou no meter what, but I'd be pretty annoyed if a slim does come out later this year.

I thought it was fake in the first picture but by the comparison shot where its tiny...just no its faker than the chests in a strip joint

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Doesn't the PS4 and PS3 both use customized Blu-ray drives? They stripped out any superfluous metal out of those things and it's basically a laser and disc holder. Sony can get those drives to inconsequential sizes y'know. Anyway, it looks ugly as all hell.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Although I assume a slim is in the works, I don't think it'll be announced/released this year. Remember, it took 3 years for the PS3 slim to be announced/released. If a slim will be announced it would make sense to announce it for next year's E3, 2016.

KeRaSh

Well, no matter what. I would definitely buy a second PS4 for the living room if it's that small and cheaper than the current SKU.

Its a pretty well done fake if it is fake.

I wouldn't mind if it was real.

Its hard to imagine cutting the size by that much this early and still have a mechanical hard drive inside.

Mr.Ock

I think this is fake, but, since I'm clueless on this kind of stuff, can someone explain why this would be 'too small' when something this small, with a comparable power exists? (Alienware Alpha) Is it about different parts that can't be shrunk beyond a certain level?

HAL-x9000

But what about the PS2 slim, that worked.

That´s right but it took several years to get the thermal emission low enough. Therefore you need multiple generations of better and smaller chipsets. On top you would have to switch from HDD to SDD at least. Even if you design an external power supply (that would save much space and thermal) with price tag of 400 dollars... no way for now!

I think this is fake, but, since I'm clueless on this kind of stuff, can someone explain why this would be 'too small' when something this small, with a comparable power exists? (Alienware Alpha) Is it about different parts that can't be shrunk beyond a certain level?

Having a blue ray drive and a hard drive that wouldnt significantly increase costs make it unlikely that the case could be this small.

Then again its possible that they are concepting possible ps4 slim models and this is one of the front running artist concepts. Maybe it hasn't even been run through engineering fully and tweaks should be made. Its entirely possible that its a mock up with little care given to practicality or engineering and just an idea.. One of hundreds they would mock up.

I would be very surpsied if this is real, the PS4 hasn't been out that long and it hasn't even had a price cut yet. Is it even possible to make the technology in the PS4 smaller than it already is currently?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I thought the last PS3 slim rumour wasn't real so I'm not sure about this at all.

Surely the PS4 is small enough as it is already?

Raist

Banned
Its a pretty well done fake if it is fake.

I don't think it'd be super hard to anyone who has basic knowledge of 3D SW. I mena it's not like it's a CGI film or something. Plus the different pics don't match each other and the overall design makes no sense.

I would like to see more pop-colored electronics, like Fire Red, Pikachu Yellow, Bright Orange, Default Green/Blue, Donatello Purple and such.

Mr.Ock

Having a blue ray drive and a hard drive that wouldnt significantly increase costs make it unlikely that the case could be this small.

Then again its possible that they are concepting possible ps4 slim models and this is one of the front running artist concepts. Maybe it hasn't even been run through engineering fully and tweaks should be made. Its entirely possible that its a mock up with little care given to practicality or engineering and just an idea.. One of hundreds they would mock up.

Lol I forgot about the BD drive, I feel so stupid now

I still think a PS4 slim could be announced at E3, but it's just pure speculation on my part, no evidence whatsoever :p

Acrylic7

its obviously concept art but after we got the ps2 slim I cant really say its fake.

But with all things gaming related its best not to get your hopes up because the fall is worse the higher the hype.

Applecot

Without a MAJOR die shrink we are not getting a PS4 that small.

Beyond just a die shrink; either the TDP has to come majorly down (I think its around 100W now?) or the cooler efficiency has to go way up without it reaching hairdryer noise levels.

I would be very surpsied if this is real, the PS4 hasn't been out that long and it hasn't even had a price cut yet. Is it even possible to make the technology in the PS4 smaller than it already is currently?

alienware-alpha-product-photos-13.jpg

Its more expensive and slightly bulkier but its pretty similar in specs.

Honestly for all we know this could be one of hundreds of concepts that are being mocked up before any engineering of logistical concerns come into play.

Hell it could be a contracted designer for Sony who loves the concept so much that he leaked it in hopes that fan reactions would be so positive that it would be chosen?

Skeff

No lol, certainly not real, would be incredibly unlikely to have an external revision so soon, expect an internal revision anytime now with the new gddr chips from Sammy but that's about it...

Honestly for all we know this could be one of hundreds of concepts that are being mocked up before any engineering of logistical concerns come into play.

Hell it could be a contracted designer for Sony who loves the concept so much that he leaked it in hopes that fan reactions would be so positive that it would be chosen?

Yea I should have also mentioned keeping the same price tag as the PS4 as well. It must cost a lot more to make it smaller.

Does that have a blu-ray drive? That would obviously add a bit of size.
Either way I think the shots are fake. I don't see Sony having a reason to redesign their console while it's still selling so well. As others have said, they usually have a price cut for the console before they release a newer model and they usually don't do so within the first two years.

Also the design does look terribly fake with the drive and the buttons on the side of the console. It's just not practical. You shouldn't have to pull your console out of your entertainment center anytime you want to play a different disc based game.

HAL-x9000

Not comparable cause no optical drive.

Top Bottom