• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 slim leaked?

kaioshade

It happens all the time. While this leak is most likely as fake as my girlfriend's orgasm last night, I find it incredible that so many people have never received a confidential email that says the word "confidential" in it.

Obviously every company is different, but funny enough our emails have "confidential" on them and our prototype images dont. its just an understood common sense rule not to spread that shit around outside of the people who need to know.

DBS

Neo Member
I know i'm late to the party after the tweets by Polygon and Kotaku writers, but just to confirm how ridiculous that things was, here's an image proving what a lot of you were saying
People were using math & measurements to prove that a blu ray drive couldn't possibly fit in the slim PS3 in the other thread too.

the "leak" is probably fake, but reasons like "Confidential" or "it's too small" aren't good reasons.

1eBtd9F.png

That would mean that the BD drive is 84 mm wide, when a BD disc is 120mm in diameter. So not possible.

However like Fliesen said, those images are not the same, so that would mean that the slim version wouldn't be THAT small. Supposing a 120mm Blu-ray drive width, the dimensions of the slim portrayed would be 234 mm x 37 mm x 268 mm, which is still smaller than the current 275 x 53 x 305

Corto

i dont think it'll be wise for them to release a redesign so quickly, especially being close to 20 mil sold.

I seem to remember a Mark Cerny interview/talk about the PS4 where he told that as the PS4 has a much simpler architecture than the PS2/3 with its use of off-the-shelf components vs. customized ones it could mean earlier redesigns with lower cost of parts. I can't find the direct quote though, so I could be misremembering.

Naminator

Banned
While the design doesn't look half bad, I honestly can not see a slim version of a PS4 being released until there is a few more node shrinks, as the PS4 is already pretty small and loud.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think it's fake, but the diminutive size makes me more interested in the idea an external-storage-only model with external power. That's the only way something like this would be feasible, apart from a flash memory model. Maybe it's a PS4TV concept.

UFO

Banned
That would mean that the BD drive is 84 mm wide, when a BD disc is 120mm in diameter. So not possible.

However like Fliesen said, those images are not the same, so that would mean that the slim version wouldn't be THAT small. Supposing a 120mm Blu-ray drive width, the dimensions of the slim portrayed would be 234 mm x 37 mm x 268 mm, which is still smaller than the current 275 x 53 x 305

SuperUMD. You didn't hear that from me.

Of course it's fake, it's probably going to be 2016 at the earliest for a full on redesign. The first internal revision of any significance could probably come out this year though.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I love the Monolith code name, 2001 fan here.

If they do launch ads that reference the movie how great would that be?

It's funny because when I first heard about the PS2 I didn't know it could stand on its end. I envisioned an advert of a black monolith on the moon with apes drawn to it. That iconic music begins to play and when the apes touch the monolith the letters P... S ... 2 appear, followed by the tag line 'something's going to happen ... something wonderful'.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I know i'm late to the party after the tweets by Polygon and Kotaku writers, but just to confirm how ridiculous that things was, here's an image proving what a lot of you were saying

1eBtd9F.png

Actually, if you do this same calculation on a perspective corrected image, you get things to be almost right (with 110mm space for the drive)

Here's perspective corrected image (and it may not be 100% correct still, but the best I could do with a missing edge):

itm7WjbFq6298.jpg

DBS

Neo Member
Actually, if you do this same calculation on a perspective corrected image, you get things to be almost right (with 110mm space for the drive)

Here's perspective corrected image (and it may not be 100% correct still, but the best I could do with a missing edge):

itm7WjbFq6298.jpg

I can't see your image but you don't need to do that...the measurements in my image are "relative", that's why i used the first image that put the consoles side by side, to get the relative width of the slim console in comparison to the 275 mm of the current PS4. Then used that as my reference measure for the 2nd image, so i could get the width of the drive.

SuperUMD. You didn't hear that from me.

Someone in another site told me it could be a Super BD so i was like WUT. Hell, i didn't know there were 80 mm BDs out there, but they only have 16GB of space tops with double layer so....

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Honestly, anything "confidential" shouldn't say confidential on it unless it's fake.

How do people know how something is classified unless you classify it?

How do people know how something is classified unless you classify it?

In my office, it is usually the email subject line and encryption. All classified files are in password and certificate protected folders. No information is explicitly labeled as classified. Likely makes it harder for anyone to identify the classified info in the case of a data breach

fvng

The fact that this says "CONFIDENTIAL" in all caps right in the file name should be ringing alarm bells in people's head.

ya, putting 'confidential' is telling the world to click on it. Filename would have been way more inconspicuous if it was real. It's a sexy design though.

the only reason why i believe Sony leaks is because they're bad at keeping lids at secrets which is what made the GDDR5 bombshell such a big deal in my eyes because they kept it so secret successfully

Top Bottom