• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold 250k, Xbox One 100k in Germany

gUOlvFV.jpg

ibryYmcJAsTHdb.gif

So Sony only shipped 250k consoles? That explains a lot, I don't think PS4 has been in stock anywhere anytime since launch, pretty much the only way to get one has been ordering from France/UK AFAIK. Curious why they did that, maybe they thought UK is the more important battlefield since Germany is already PS-biased?

France?

untitlednussu.png

IHaveIce

Banned
It would have been at 400k by now if they would actual restock the damn consoles.

But nope only US amazon gets restocks.

Also even if the One hadn't that clusterfuck of PR and the same price as the PS4, the ps4 would have sold better.

It is Sonyland here

kyser73

Honestly after all the bad press Microsoft got this year and the 11:1 preorder estimates that were coming in, this is actually much less of a gap than I would have thought. In fact it's really a victory for MS if you think about it, sure they still have some work to do but you can't count them out yet like some people were saying!

*Bows to the master*

Wonder when 3rd party support dries up.

I'm pretty sure they'll never need to worry about that. It should be sufficiently easy/cheap to port from Xbone to PS4 (/vice versa), so even in the extremely unlikely case of say a 4:1 sales ratio I do think Xbone will get pretty much everything the PS4 gets (minus the Sony first/second party exclusives obviously). The issue for Microsoft is that this won't help them. Playstation has the better brand, the more powerful hardware and it's cheaper.
Microsoft needs to find sth. Kinect related that makes people buy tons of consoles.

KaiPow

Banned
Not surprised, the stores I've been to mostly had normal stocks of XB1s (roughly the same numbers as the older consoles) but I've never seen a PS4 box in a store.

The store I frequent had orders from higher up to sell all of the PS4's they had on hand over the weekend. Any stores that had excess stock on Saturday were to transfer them to stores where they would sell (Typically college towns or stores with traditionally higher rates of consumers that purchase cheaper games/consoles)

wrowa

It's important to mention that the PS4 is still heavily supply constrained in Germany, while there's an abundance of Xbox One's pretty much everywhere now.

TimFL

Not surprised at all. Everywhere I go I only see piles of XB1s that no one even looks at. Haven't seen a PS4 in the wild yet. You can't even reserve them here, they're apparently gone instantly the same day the retailers receive shipments.

Haunted

Surprised it's only a 2,5:1 ratio, there's so much negative mindshare surrounding Microsoft, the console, the early announcements, everything I assumed it would bomb even harder.

That said, PS4 domination this generation seems virtually assured. The question now is how hard the XB1 is going to get beaten.

edit: people are quoting supply constraints? huh, I've seen a couple PS4s lying around at the big stores, wasn't aware.

Skeff

I'm pretty sure they'll never need to worry about that. It should be sufficiently easy/cheap to port from Xbone to PS4 (/vice versa), so even in the extremely unlikely case of say a 4:1 sales ratio I do think Xbone will get pretty much everything the PS4 gets (minus the Sony first/second party exclusives obviously). The issue for Microsoft is that this won't help them. Playstation has the better brand, the more powerful hardware and it's cheaper.
Microsoft needs to find sth. Kinect related that makes people buy tons of consoles.

To quote from the PES thread about whether or not it will get an XB1 port:

Breaking news, porting from PS4 to XB1 is trivial. Porting from an OpenGL based language to DirectX based is trivial. Porting from 1.8Tflop GPU to 1.3Tflop GPU is trivial.

And last but certainly by no means least, Porting from 5-6GB of Ram at 176gb/s to 5GB of ram at 68GB/s and a 32mb Esram Cache is trivial.

Seriously, it's not trivial, as well as porting the game, there are additional costs such as licensing, QC,QA, Servers, Legal costs, Boxart, Liasons. None of these costs have been reduced by the hardware being more alike.

Ubisoft claim it costs around $1.3million for a WiiU port and I have no reason to question that number is similar for XB1:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...says-wii-u-ports-costing-under-USD1-3-million

To quote IGN:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2006/05/06/the-economics-of-game-publishing

With simple Maths:

1.3million/16 = 81250 units.

So to recoup the initial investment they would need to sell 80k+ on XB1. As well as any additional Costs, so Does it seem likely to you that PES would be profitable on XB1?

Considering that PES is a PS associated Franchise and Sales are heavily skewed away from the US, it seems to me that PES would likely just about Break even on XB1 and in fact drag down the ROI.

Some games will not be ported if the XB1 is heavily outsold, it will depend on the game''s budget, the games historical association, the games sales figures and potentially any marketing deals.

Obviously all of the big games will be ported but some of the smaller ones will not.

What was the 360/PS3 ratio split?

The way things are looking at the moment, it seems there isn't any part of anywhere that Xbox One has done better. It's all good though, because it heats up competition and it'll be interesting to see how Microsoft reacts. Will it be short-term moneyhats, long-term creative investment or both?

I hope it's not short term moneyhats. Nobody wins when that happens

Coen

I wonder at what point EA starts realizing they've put their eggs in the wrong basket altogether. Part of me wishes Sony flat-out denies EA's Titanfall sequel, although I'm sure that'll never happen.

N.Domixis

Banned
I wonder at what point EA starts realizing they've put their eggs in the wrong basket altogether. Part of me wishes Sony flat-out denies EA's Titanfall sequel, although I'm sure that'll never happen.
If ea would have stayed a Nintendo partner or partnered with Sony Xbox would be dead. I hate EA now.
Jk

Ikaruga!

Neo Member
I have yet to see a single PS4 unit available in store in Germany. Xbox One? Plenty.

You can get xbones at amazon germany within 24h if you pay for overnight express or just wait 2 days and get it shipped for free.

PS4? Might take some months xD

jgf

Yeah, I've seen XBO's in multiple MediaMarkt and Real stores. No PS4 so far.

I can confirm that. I went to MediaMarkt several times in the past weeks. I've yet to see a PS4 out in the wild. Xbox One on the other hand was available - even the bundle with free FIFA was in stock the last time I checked. So I bet the numbers would be even higher in favor of PS4 if they could ship more to retailers.

This is why I question Sony's commitment to an Asian launch in February. The need for more systems is in U.S. and Europe.

Sony wins Asia by default.

They should wait till at least summer for the Asian launch.

nampad

Still a pretty good ratio for MS considering everything. The gap will be huge when Sony can finally supply more hardware though.
It's quite ahrd to get a PS4 here, a XB1 on the other hand is easily available.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I don't know anyone here in austria that is interested in xbones and of course no one would import them. They are piled up to the ceiling in every store here!

Saw that in MM in Klagenfurt and Villach with my own eyes last December. Half of palette of X1s and clerk said 'Yeah, we sold two this week to some foreigner, every PS4 goes for preorder and this will go on until February"

Gustav

Banned
I have not seen a single PS4 on store shelves here in Germany. Never. At Saturn Alexanderplatz in Berlin they don't even have an area set up to put PS4s in. It's just mountains of PS3s and Xbox Ones.

NeOak

When the PC port sells more than the Xbone version.

Hesemonni

Banned
Surprised it's only a 2,5:1 ratio, there's so much negative mindshare surrounding Microsoft, the console, the early announcements, everything I assumed it would bomb even harder.
There's people who are going to buy Xbone no matter what and then there's PS4 which everyone wants to buy and is heavily supply constrained. They just couldn't ship more of those.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

This is kind of mind blowing.

Here in Brazil it's widely accepted that Oceania is the continent, as described by Jules d'Urville. That's how we're taught in schools down here. Or at least how I was taught all those years ago.

I'm browsing through related articles on Wikipedia right now... And it seems that there really is a distinction (English version, Portuguese version). This is off-topic as hell, but, huh. I wonder if it's a recent change and younger folks are being taught differently from how I was, or if it's a matter of regional differences in terms of what's accepted in the academic geography circle.

Top Bottom