• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

TS-08

The percentage increase is based on the ranking change within Amazon, not a total sales increase.

About Movers & Shakers in Video Games
Movers & Shakers identifies the biggest gainers in sales rank compared to twenty-four hours ago. For example, if a music item has a current sales rank of 10, but was ranked 30 twenty-four hours ago, its Movers & Shakers increase would be 200%.

panda-zebra

That's what people always gloss over with this amazon charts

True, the movers and shakers charts are a waste of time, only useful for highlighting offers that people are jumping on usually.

For 2014 as a whole on .de, ps4 is 24th and 27th as a bundle. In March it's 6th.

PS4 sells 4.2 million WW as of Dec. 28th

PS4 sells 5.3 million WW as of Feb. 8th

PS4 sells 6 million WW as of March 2nd

January 2014 NPD - PS4 sells ~271K

February 2014 NPD - PS4 sells ~ 269K

Adjusting for 4 weeks instead of 5, we get approximately 880K untis sold WW between Dec. 28th and Feb. 8th, with ~271K units sold in the US in that timeframe, the US only accounted for approximately 31% of WW sales during that period

Between Feb. 8th and March 2nd, approximately 700K untis were sold WW with approximately 202K units sold in the US [adjusted to 3 weeks instead of 4] which again puts the US at approximately 29% of WW PS4 sales

For the holiday season of 2013, PS4 sold 1138K [Nov.] + 865 [Dec.] is 2003K out of 4200K WW at that time. Thus for the period of launch on Nov. 22 to Dec. 28th PS4 sold approximately 48% of its WW sales in the US

Using the highest US ratio [48%], if PS4 sells 400K in the US in March we can expect 833K sales WW in the same time frame.

Using the lowest US ratio [29%] we get 1379K sales WW for the March time period.

Using an average of the 3 time periods [36%] US ratio we get 1111K PS4's sold WW in that time period

If PS4 sells 400K+ on March NPD I will be shocked if they don't reach 7M WW in that timeframe

This just goes to show how utterly wrong people are to focus on NPD when it comes to PlayStation. While the Xbox lives and dies by it's performance in NA and to a lesser extent the UK, the PlayStation has a much stronger global presence. Aren't the X1's sales like, 60% (or more) from NA?

I think the PS4 gets to 10 million before the X1 gets to 5 million (or at least, it'll be very close).

TS-08

I would only use the Amazon charts to get a general idea of the popularity and potential legs of games and systems, and to get a sense of which multiplats are selling better. But even in those circumstances you can be misled.

ethomaz

Banned
This just goes to show how utterly wrong people are to focus on NPD when it comes to PlayStation. While the Xbox lives and dies by it's performance in NA and to a lesser extent the UK, the PlayStation has a much stronger global presence. Aren't the X1's sales like, 60% (or more) from NA?

I think the PS4 gets to 10 million before the X1 gets to 5 million (or at least, it'll be very close).
You can see that with PS3... how much NPD LTD accounts fro the 80 million PS3 sold? 25%? 30%? I know it is way less than 50%.
Now from 360 80 million over 50% is NPD.

You can see that with PS3... how much NPD LTD accounts fro the 80 million PS3 sold? 25%? 30%? I know it is way less than 50%.

Yeah, I know. Between the US and UK, the 360 did something like 55 out of it's 80 million sold, no?

This is why it boggles my mind when people can't understand why loosing NA (even if it ends up at parity between Ps4 and X1) represents a huge loss for MS and a big win for Sony. The PS3 outsold the 360 even though it had manhandled in the US and UK, it's going to be vastly different now that the PS4 is ahead in both those regions.It's also crazy how much importance people place in NPD numbers. Sure, they're big for the Xbox but they don't represent as much for the Ps4. For example, even if the X1 comes ahead in March NPD, the PS4 will still comfortably outsell it WW.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeah, I know. Between the US and UK, the 360 did something like 55 out of it's 80 million sold, no?

This is why it boggles my mind when people can't understand why loosing NA (even if it ends up at parity between Ps4 and X1) represents a huge loss for MS and a big win for Sony. The PS3 outsold the 360 even though it had manhandled in the US and UK, it's going to be vastly different now that the PS4 is ahead in both those regions.It's also crazy how much importance people place in NPD numbers. Sure, they're big for the Xbox but they don't represent as much for the Ps4. For example, even if the X1 comes ahead in March NPD, the PS4 will still comfortably outsell it WW.
I agree... anybody have the LTD NPD sales for the old consoles (PS360)?

I agree... anybody have the LTD NPD sales for the old consoles (PS360)?

Off the top of my head, I think it's something like:

Nov. 1.1 million
Dec. 850k
Jan. 240k
Feb. 285k

Total: 2.45ish million

Edit: Nvm, didn't read right. I believe MS announced they passed 40 million quite a while ago though. Don't know if they reached 50 million.

Renzoku

Banned
I'm curious if they're holding off their next announcement for E3, or if sales have just slowed to the point where they haven't reached seven million yet.

I'm curious if they're holding off their next announcement for E3, or if sales have just slowed to the point where they haven't reached seven million yet.

Probably waiting till the fiscal report, no? After that, I don't think we'll hear much till E3 when they make the big 10 million announcement (assuming sales don't slow down dramatically in the next two months).

Renzoku

Banned
Probably waiting till the fiscal report, no? After that, I don't think we'll hear much till E3 when they make the big 10 million announcement (assuming sales don't slow down dramatically in the next two months).

Yeah, I guess that should be right around the corner? Sometime this month?

Kyoufu

I doubt they'll reach 10 million by June 10. Two months to sell 3 million (assuming they're at 7 million now) is a little too optimistic.

Late april/early may. We will get fiscal reports from all console companies, fun times.

IMO, Nintendo will fail to reach their WiiU sales prediction for this FY.

Yep should be interesting. Unfortunately unless something changes we'll only get PS4+PS3 sales right?

I severely doubt Nintendo will hit the new projections for Wii U either

I doubt they'll reach 10 million by June 10. Two months to sell 3 million (assuming they're at 7 million now) is a little too optimistic.

I also don't think Sony will hit 10M PS4's sold by June 10th personally. April and May have Watch Dogs and MLB the Show to maybe move PS4's more than usual. 1.5M a month would be like 500K NPD a month for both April and May. I don't think so

10 million in July. Just in time for my birthday

Oh crap, we're already in April... hm, I still think it's possible, but yea. Late June would be more likely. Maybe they would instead announce it as shipped? They'll definitely have shipped 10 million units by June 10th unless sales drop drastically somehow. I don't know, I'll remain optimistic. It's all up to supply, if they have enough, they'll sell them.

Melchiah

Six years of PS3 sales were
21.8 million in NA
37 million in EU (of which 5m in UK)
8.4 million in Japan

Belittling the EU sales makes no sense.

IMO, Nintendo will fail to reach their WiiU sales prediction for this FY.

They should reach it (for once).

IIRC they only need/predicted 400k shipments. USA and Japan will cover well over 300k sales together*, unless there was a huge stock surplus left over after Christmas.

*In fact, it's around 295k before March NPD is added.

wouldn't be shocked if they announced 7 million numbers this month, heck I even expect it... demand is still there, stock replenishment is still healthy

the coming 3 months may slow down a bit... well likely ramp up again in the late summer

When The One launches in the other 38 countries the PS4 has already launched in, it'll totally catch up.

wouldn't be shocked if they announced 7 million numbers this month, heck I even expect it... demand is still there, stock replenishment is still healthy

the coming 3 months may slow down a bit... well likely ramp up again in the late summer

I dunno if we'll get an announcement of sales until May now.

That's when their end of year results will be released.

Wynnebeck

Banned
PS4 sells 4.2 million WW as of Dec. 28th

PS4 sells 5.3 million WW as of Feb. 8th

PS4 sells 6 million WW as of March 2nd

January 2014 NPD - PS4 sells ~271K

February 2014 NPD - PS4 sells ~ 269K

Adjusting for 4 weeks instead of 5, we get approximately 880K untis sold WW between Dec. 28th and Feb. 8th, with ~271K units sold in the US in that timeframe, the US only accounted for approximately 31% of WW sales during that period

Between Feb. 8th and March 2nd, approximately 700K units were sold WW with approximately 202K units sold in the US [adjusted to 3 weeks instead of 4] which again puts the US at approximately 29% of WW PS4 sales

For the holiday season of 2013, PS4 sold 1138K [Nov.] + 865K [Dec.] which is 2003K out of 4200K WW at that time. Thus for the period of launch on Nov. 15 to Dec. 28th PS4 sold approximately 48% of its WW sales in the US

Using US LTD versus WW LTD as of March 2nd, we have 2543K out of 6000K which shows that 42.4% of PS4 sales are in US.

---------------------------

Using the highest US ratio [48%], if PS4 sells 400K in the US in March we can expect 833K sales WW in the same time frame. It should be noted that this wouldn't account for Japan demand/sales or any other region added since Dec. 28th

Using the lowest US ratio [29%] we get 1379K sales WW for the March time period.

Using the US LTD versus WW LTD ratio [42.4%], we get 943K sold WW in that time frame although this would heavily favor the holiday months due to the unit sales

Using an average of the 3 separate time periods [36% = (29%+31%+48%)/3] US ratio we get 1111K PS4's sold WW in that time period

If PS4 sells 400K+ on March NPD I will be shocked if they don't reach 7M WW in that timeframe

Good analysis. I'm still on the train that PS4 outsold Xbone for March. Just gotta wait for te NPD and Quarterly numbers.

Yup, well said.

ethomaz

Banned
Six years of PS3 sales were
21.8 million in NA
37 million in EU (of which 5m in UK)
8.4 million in Japan

Belittling the EU sales makes no sense.
Thanks... that shows that US is ~30% of PS3 sales.

When The One launches in the other 38 countries the PS4 has already launched in, it'll totally catch up.
Xbone will revitalize Japan console market ;)

Good analysis. I'm still on the train that PS4 outsold Xbone for March. Just gotta wait for te NPD and Quarterly numbers.
I'm with you... PS4 take March NPD and both console will have the best NPD this year (over 300k for both).

Bgamer90

Banned

For the Xbox One to have the same gap vs. the PS4 as the Xbox 360 had with the PS3 early on, the Xbox One would have had to literally...

A. Launched a year before the PS4. -or- B. Launched at $300 or less at the same time as the PS4.

The PS4 is in a much, much better position than the PS3 was in during its launch which is why the system is doing so well. I don't know how worldwide sales compare but when it comes to NPD, the Xbox One has already sold more than twice as much as the Xbox 360 did in the same time frame. If sales keep up like this then the Xbox One will probably make up around the same percentage of total console sales in its respective gen as the Xbox 360 had since the sales of the Wii U, PS4, and Xbox One combined will more than likely be less than the PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii combined. We'll see though. But yeah, overall I don't see how it's a "huge loss". That comes off as if the PS4 was put in the same position as the PS3 with MS completely failing to capitalize on it.

For the Xbox One to have the same gap vs. the PS4 as the Xbox 360 had with the PS3 early on, the Xbox One would have had to literally...

A. Launched a year before the PS4. -or- B. Launched at $300 or less at the same time as the PS4.

The PS4 is in a much, much better position than the PS3 was in during its launch which is why the system is doing so well. I don't know how worldwide sales compare but when it comes to NPD, the Xbox One has already sold more than twice as much as the Xbox 360 did in the same time frame. If sales keep up like this then the Xbox One will probably make up around the same percentage of total console sales in its respective gen as the Xbox 360 had since the sales of the Wii U, PS4, and Xbox One combined will more than likely be less than the PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii combined. We'll see though. But yeah, overall I don't see how it's a "huge loss". That comes off as if the PS4 was put in the same position as the PS3 with MS completely failing to capitalize on it.

It's a huge loss in the sense that NA is MS' cash cow. From software sales to XBLG, they make a ton of money, and this gen they'll be lucky to reach half the install base they had with the 360 last gen. That's going to be huge loss.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's going to be a failure, I think long term they'll still make money. But it will be significantly less than the 360 (at least, the later 360 years).

And I agree with everything else, the 360 had every single advantage last gen, A year headstart (1 1/2 years in Europe), lower price, better PR, better multiplats, some very strong early exclusives. It had everything going for it and Sony's weakest performing console still outsold it in the end. It's not even going to be a competition this gen, now that the tables are completely turned.

Microsoft came into this gen planning to be 2nd or 3rd marketshare-wise WW

They released a $499 console that was very us-centric [it's better of late but still a bit myopic] while expecting sony to launch a $399 console [see leaked slide deck about roadmap] and I wouldn't be surprised if MS thought Wii U would sell strongly due to Wii's performance, Nintendo sure did.

That being said MS stands to bleed a lot of US 360 marketshare this gen and while I believe they were prepared to lose some portion of it, I don't think they were prepared to lose as much as it looks like they will.

I've been trying to find good numbers for US versus WW LTD for last gen consoles but it is difficult.

I believe though that the 360 sold something like 45M versus 25M PS3's in the US. Thus the US market potentially holds 70M sales for a PS4/XB1 buyer. If that gets split equally this gen, MS stands to lose 10M console sales in the US alone and that's not even assuming that PS4 is tracking 15% ahead of MS in the US currently.

Code:
LTD in America:
PS4 ~2.56 million
WiiU ~2.23 million
Xbone ~2.22 million

If that continued it would mean 38.5M PS4's in the US versus 31.5M XB1's which would be a marketshare loss of roughly 13.5M units in its strongest region

Raist

Banned
Yeah, the problem with Amazon's charts is that it's very unclear how it works.
Like, for best sellers, it's updated hourly, but what do the % increase mean? If it sold 0 during the previous hour because it was not available, how can there be an X% increase?

What is however slightly more indicative is the "archive" (not in every country for some reason). On amazon.de PS4 was #24 for 2014 when it was back "in stock" a few hours ago. It's now #23 (overtook GT6). It'd be interesting to see how quickly it goes up that particular chart.

Biker19

Banned

This is why it boggles my mind when people can't understand why loosing NA (even if it ends up at parity between Ps4 and X1) represents a huge loss for MS and a big win for Sony. The PS3 outsold the 360 even though it had manhandled in the US and UK, it's going to be vastly different now that the PS4 is ahead in both those regions. It's also crazy how much importance people place in NPD numbers. Sure, they're big for the Xbox but they don't represent as much for the PS4. For example, even if the X1 comes ahead in March NPD, the PS4 will still comfortably outsell it WW.

This. And that's with Xbox 360 having about a 18+ million lead over PS3 in the U.S. Heck, even Microsoft used to have both UK & Europe with Xbox 360 (About 25+ million owners total) until PS3 lad lowered the price tags with better marketing along with more games & have surpassed Xbox 360 in total hardware sales there.

Now because of the stupid shit that Microsoft had done with the high price tags, marketing the Xbox One as a western focused console, along with the DRM & the NSA scandals, Microsoft has completely made themselves irrelevant in those regions just like they were always irrelevant in Japan.

Only America is keeping Xbox One afloat in sales, & even then, they're just about being about neck & neck with PS4 in sales for that region. There's even no guarantee that they'll be able to rack up the same 46+ million owners in America for Xbox One like they did for Xbox 360. So Microsoft is basically fucked as a whole because they have no other regions left to rely on for more sales.

Bgamer90

Banned
It's a huge loss in the sense that NA is MS' cash cow. From software sales to XBLG, they make a ton of money, and this gen they'll be lucky to reach half the install base they had with the 360 last gen. That's going to be huge loss.

The system is selling more than the Xbox 360 did in the same timeframe. It's already over 3.5 million in total sales and should at least be at 5 million by the end of the year (safe prediction). Factor in future price drops and games that will spark more sales as well as more people moving to the new gen alongside how many years this (now) current gen will last and I think it's safe to say the Xbox One will definitely be over 40 million in total sales by the end of the gen (half the total sales of the 360).

They should be getting more money from XBL this gen too in comparison to last as more games and system features are becoming online heavy. The majority of PS4 and Xbox One owners have their consoles connected to the internet.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's going to be a failure, I think long term they'll still make money. But it will be significantly less than the 360 (at least, the later 360 years).

Don't know if it will be significantly less. Looks like the Xbox One won't have to suffer from a situation as huge/big as RROD. Remember reading that it alone cost them over $1 Billion.

And I agree with everything else, the 360 had every single advantage last gen, A year headstart (1 1/2 years in Europe), lower price, better PR, better multiplats, some very strong early exclusives. It had everything going for it and Sony's weakest performing console still outsold it in the end. It's not even going to be a competition this gen, now that the tables are completely turned.

PS4 should easily get the #1 spot in sales this gen but the Xbox One should still be fine. The system could still have higher marketshare (%) within its gen in comparison to the 360 since I don't think overall console sales this gen will match what they were last gen (in part due to Nintendo's huge drop from Wii to Wii U). Expecting something along the lines of Sony: 55%, MS: 35%, and Nintendo: 10% when adding in future price drops and game releases but we'll see what happens. Too early to make strong detailed predictions.

Mikey Jr.

I wonder how the piss poor performance of the WiiU is affecting the PS4/Xbone.

If the WiiU was doing very well, would sales for the other 2 platforms be lower?

I wonder how the piss poor performance of the WiiU is affecting the PS4/Xbone.

If the WiiU was doing very well, would sales for the other 2 platforms be lower?

I think so. The PS4 and Xbox One really scratched the itch that many had for something that was a big step up from what they were previously playing. There's obviously a huge difference in something like Battlefield 4 on the PS4/Xbox One and the PS3/360 versions. Even CoD looks noticeably better. Had the Wii U done that then I think both of the other consoles would've been successful, but their initial impacts wouldn't have been as big.

TomShoe

Banned
I think so. The PS4 and Xbox One really scratched the itch that many had for something that was a big step up from what they were previously playing. There's obviously a huge difference in something like Battlefield 4 on the PS4/Xbox One and the PS3/360 versions. Even CoD looks noticeably better. Had the Wii U done that then I think both of the other consoles would've been successful, but their initial impacts wouldn't have been as big.

I don't think so. You have to remember that the majority audience of the original Wii consisted of casual gamers, like young children, and those who don't game on a regular basis. The novel idea of the Wii-mote drew them in, but now that they're gone it's not really the same. I feel that much of that install base has probably stopped gaming altogether, instead of switching to the other consoles. They probably wouldn't have had much of an effect, other than convincing a small minority to get a Wii U either in place of a PS4/XBO, or as a secondary console.

Dire

Why do companies make these announcements? I imagine it's to gain consumer mindshare and to show strong momentum on the investment side of things. But Sony already has both of these in spades. If these are really the incentives for milestone announcements then it seems like from a strategic point of that view that holding off could be wise. When/if Microsoft announces 4million, Sony will be right there ready to announce 7, 8, maybe even 10million. If Microsoft realizes this and feels that's an issue then they may choose to simply not release numbers (as they've stated) in which case Sony maintains their mindshare/perceived momentum without saying a single thing until they're ready to roll out the coupe de grace a la PS2's "The console war is over." type announcement.

Respawn

Banned

That would be insane and brutal if it comes true.

ethomaz

Banned
Imagine right now we have this scenario...

PS4: 7 million
Xbone: 4 million

It is not impossible PS4 sell 3 million while Xbone 1 million... but I guess when PS4 reach 10 million Xbone will be at ~5.5 million because the sales ratio WW is more close to 2:1 than 3:1.

I don't think so. You have to remember that the majority audience of the original Wii consisted of casual gamers, like young children, and those who don't game on a regular basis. The novel idea of the Wii-mote drew them in, but now that they're gone it's not really the same. I feel that much of that install base has probably stopped gaming altogether, instead of switching to the other consoles. They probably wouldn't have had much of an effect, other than convincing a small minority to get a Wii U either in place of a PS4/XBO, or as a secondary console.

What i'm referring to is if the Wii U had delivered something at or near the PS4 and Xbox One in power. Imagine if early last year you had the option of playing a 1080p/60fps version of Bioshock Infinite, DMC, Metal Gear Rising and Tomb Raider on the Wii U vs. what we got on the PS3/360. In other words, it'd be a scenario where the Wii U actually did what the PS4 and Xbox One would eventually do eventually, which is to show a clear leap over what was possible on last gen consoles. I think the core gamers that may have checked out with the Wii would've been pulled back in for something like that.

The system is selling more than the Xbox 360 did in the same timeframe. It's already over 3.5 million in total sales and should at least be at 5 million by the end of the year (safe prediction). Factor in future price drops and games that will spark more sales as well as more people moving to the new gen alongside how many years this (now) current gen will last and I think it's safe to say the Xbox One will definitely be over 40 million in total sales by the end of the gen (half the total sales of the 360).

That doens't really matter though. Yes, it's selling more than the X360, but that's only because of the huge launch, which I believe wasn't possible back in the day due to lower production. Soon enough, it'll start tracking below the 360. Even the Wii U started out big and was probably tracking ahead of the Wii for a month or two. The X1's managed to trail ahead for longer, but it will fall behind, especially since it's practically irrelevent outside NA and it won't sell as well as the 360 did in NA.

So yes, tracking ahead of the 360 doesn't really mean much.

They should be getting more money from XBL this gen too in comparison to last as more games and system features are becoming online heavy. The majority of PS4 and Xbox One owners have their consoles connected to the internet.

True, but it's still going to be a big loss, especially compared to what could have been.

Don't know if it will be significantly less. Looks like the Xbox One won't have to suffer from a situation as huge/big as RROD. Remember reading that it alone cost them over $1 Billion.

PS4 should easily get the #1 spot in sales this gen but the Xbox One should still be fine. The system could still have higher marketshare (%) within its gen in comparison to the 360 since I don't think overall console sales this gen will match what they were last gen (in part due to Nintendo's huge drop from Wii to Wii U). Expecting something along the lines of Sony: 55%, MS: 35%, and Nintendo: 10% when adding in future price drops and game releases but we'll see what happens. Too early to make strong detailed predictions.

It'll have good marketshare, but it's going to trail the PS4 by tens of millions. It won't even be close.

I realize it's too early to make detailed predictions but I mean, what exactly do you expect? Unless the X1 suddenly gains WW popularity (outside NA and UK), or starts outselling the PS4 in NA 2-to-1 constantly, there's just no way it'll get anywhere near the X360's install base.

But as I said, I'm not saying it's going to be a failure, but the 360 is as high as MS will ever get in the console space (in my opinion). With the X1, they've pretty much killed any global relevance the 360 gained for the brand.

As other have said, I was thinking there were still three months before E3. It probably won't be 10 million vs. 5 million, but it'll likely be 10 million while the X1 is around 5.3-5.4 million. Still quite a huge gap, which should only get bigger as time goes on (could an 8-10 million gap be possible by Jan. 2015? the big wildcard is a potential X1 price cut). Either way, it's going to be an incredibly rough gen for MS, especially since they rely on third party exclusives to support their meager first party efforts, something that'll be hard to secure (or at least much more expensive) with the X1 trailing behind by a considerable amount.

Marketshare is more than just systems sold, it's about software too. The real cash is off royalties on 3rd party games where MS had that advantage in the US & UK but won't this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom