• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 6 million units sold as of March 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ienzo

Neo Member
Sony wanted to ship 5 million before march 31. They probably didnt expect sell through to go around 2 million above by that time

fasTRapid

Banned
Google-translated said:
PS4 sold over 8 million copies worldwide

Was it the beginning of March just over six million sold PS4 consoles that Sony could announce proudly, have since come another two million do so.

This was confirmed by Sony last night with the first at the end of its fiscal year 2013/14, which ended last Monday. Primary predictions of five million sold PS4 consoles until the present time, but these were exceeded weeks ago.

It is this hype seems more and more players to polarize, now also and perhaps earlier than planned to jump on with the next-gen train. Furthermore everywhere only empty shelves and long waiting lists for preorder. Sony itself expects supply shortages until the summer of this year, promises the same time that you're trying to be The best possible to further adjust the production capacity of high demand. March was Sony particularly successful, not least because a number of new games that are released for PlayStation 4. This month, more PS4 consoles than in all other months were sold before, if you take leaves out the launch month.

The strongest driving force was, according to Sony the sandbox spectacle 'inFAMOUS: Second Son' by Sucker Punch, which has brought within less than two weeks over a million copies to the people. Part of it was along with the official bundle sold, which makes the game in addition to a system-sellers.

More detailed forecasts for the coming months would only announce in the coming weeks, Sony, if you officially presenting the annual financial result.

Source (their source has since been deleted, but it seems to be the official quarter report so it would eventually be re-released)

Since I can't post threads yet, I'll have to post here for now:

PS4 has now surpassed 8 million units sold as of April 1st.

Source (their source has since been deleted, but it's the official quarter report so it will eventually be re-released)

9PZkGiX.gif

(If true)

April fools joke about a console selling a relatively believable amount? Seems weird to me.
I have a few friends that go to playfront.de for most of their gaming news/reviews, but its otherwise pretty small I think.
8 Million does seem high, but I think it's a mistake rather than April fools, that just seems silly.
We'll see in a couple of days surely, right?

Yeah it just happens a single german site reported this.

I don't think it would be out of the realms of possibility if they went on a shipping binge, like in December, but I don't think there's been enough stock visible to account for 8m

ethomaz

Banned
It is a joke but 8 million shipped is not impossible...

6m SOLD can means 6.5m shipped in early March.

More 1.5m shipped you have 8 million SHIPPED.

8 million shipped can means 7.2-7.4 million SOLD.

But it is improbable but not impossible.

McHuj

It is a joke but 8 million shipped is not impossible...

6m SOLD can means 6.5m shipped in early March.

More 1.5m shipped you have 8 million SHIPPED.

8 million shipped can means 7.2-7.4 million SOLD.

But it is improbable but not impossible.

yeah.

I don't know the technicalities of when something is qualified as a shipped unit (when it leaves the plant or when the retailer get is), but 8 M shipped could be the 7 sold through March + the next million that shipped in March and is in transit for April sales.

I don't believe the 8M is actually real but do believe it could be. Especially if its talking shipped to retailers versus sold through

USC-fan

Banned
Does sony still group PS4/PS3? Is it a shipped vs sold number for FY reports?

Many reasons why 8 million could be true in a FY report.

FTF

lol I love how it's just barely believable, makes it a better April fools joke imo. If it was say 10m, well it's just dumb and gets dismissed, but 8m makes you do a double take ha.

jayu26

Does sony still group PS4/PS3? Is it a shipped vs sold number for FY reports?

Many reasons why 8 million could be true in a FY report.

They never grouped PS4 and PS3. That happened during early years of PS3 (with PS2) and more recently MS grouped Xbone with 360 software sells.

Alchemy

To hit 8m they would have had to double current manufacturing rates. That would suggest something like Microsoft slowing down production and Sony picking up the newly opened production bandwidth. That would be hilarious, but very unlikely.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
They never grouped PS4 and PS3. That happened during early years of PS3 (with PS2) and more recently MS grouped Xbone with 360 software sells.
In their projection with how many they would sell by March 2014 they did group PS4 and PS3. It's how people arrive at what they think Sony expects to sell.

CLEEK

No way in hell did they sell 2 million, it's got to be April Fools or a bs website.

The website is legit. It's the site which houses all the Sony financial result data. A WHOIS search confirms the site is owned by Sony Japan.

Like people say, wit until the official 2014 Q4 results come out. But it doesn't mean that report was an April Fools joke. It's just coincidence that April Fool's Day lands on the first day of the new financial year.

jayu26

In their projection with how many they would sell by March 2014 they did group PS4 and PS3. It's how people arrive at what they think Sony expects to sell.

I stand corrected, but then again, they only combined them in their projections...

Elios83

No they're grouping PS3 and PS4 shipments in their reports.
Their forecast is 15m for both in the fiscal year just ended in March...it was supposed to be 10m PS3 and 5 PS4 but did much better than expected while PS3 sales dropped much faster than expected (at the current outrageous price I might add).

About PS4...7m sellthrough seems the most obvious bet for end of March sales update.

the site is legit, but the link now returns a 404, did anyone see the report?

It's an april joke, the website is legit but no new report has ever been uploaded at that address, Sony is reporting their fiscal results in early May. Do people really believe that companies do stealth updates with their financial reports :D? LOL.
And also we won't even find individual PS4 sales in the report as explained before.

SaberEdge

Their forecast is 15m for both in the fiscal year just ended in March...it was supposed to be 10m PS3 and 5 PS4 but did much better than expected while PS3 sales dropped much faster than expected (at the current outrageous price I might add).

About PS4...7m sellthrough seems the most obvious bet for end of March sales update.

It's an april joke, the website is legit but no new report has ever been uploaded at that address, Sony is reporting their fiscal results in early May. Do people really believe that companies do stealth updates with their financial reports :D? LOL.

Yeah, I agree. Either way the PS4 is selling very well. It's going to be interesting to see how many units are sold over the course of the generation.

Elios83

Yeah, I agree. Either way the PS4 is selling very well. It's going to be interesting to see how many units are sold over the course of the generation.

I expect a 100m generation. It all comes down to great games and the right price. Innovative services are the icing on the cake.

jayu26

They grouped...

I stand corrected yet again. This is not my day is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom