• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: The Dark Sorcerer - Quantic Dream's full tech demo released

Considering the size of game worlds and how much is being rendered here isn't exactly impressive, maybe for a cutscene. Look at the gameplay from FF Versus and tell me where all the "coding to metal" power went.

It's a multiplatform game, so you probably won't see that happening. Here's UBI talking about that

"The PS4's GPU is very programmable. There's a lot of power in there that we're just not using yet. So what we want to do are some PS4-specific things for our rendering but within reason - it's a cross-platform game so we can't do too much that's PS4-specific," he reveals.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-how-the-crew-was-ported-to-playstation-4

GameSeeker

Considering the size of game worlds and how much is being rendered here isn't exactly impressive, maybe for a cutscene. Look at the gameplay from FF Versus and tell me where all the "coding to metal" power went.

Quantic Dream's games always look better than their tech demos. Go back and watch their prior tech demo's on the PS3 if you need proof.

That quote only mean that they wont program exclusive features for different platforms, not that they wont use ps4 low level API and its GPU functions to increase performance.

What are the chances that any multiplatform dev is going to do that? All throughout this gen we heard devs talking about how their only goal was to make sure that each version was at parity with one another. I really really expect multiplatform games to look better on one platform over the other. They'll make them look identical, or at least as close as possible, and then call it a day. As always you'll look toward exclusives to see what a console can do. That way porting is made much easier.

This is nowhere near the full demo from the show floor. And the compression could be a lot better. I was at the E3 presentation. This still does not do it justice.

Update:

Thanks Blim, this version looks better, but its still not the full showfloor demo.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
This is nowhere near the full demo from the show floor. And the compression could be a lot better. I was at the E3 presentation. This still does not do it justice.

Update:

Thanks Blim, this version looks better, but its still not the full showfloor demo.

I know, but our PR contact at Sony France doesn't have this video (in any quality), so it will have to do :/

onQ123

Then quantic it self did spread BS. Lies are not a Big deal if there is enough people to buy it.This is the real thinking behind everything PR.

So how about you point the lies out since you know for sure that they are lying, & give us the real info.

androvsky

Update:

What is it missing? I watched it straight off of PSN yesterday and it looked like everything to me, possibly minus some credits.

KKRT00

What are the chances that any multiplatform dev is going to do that? All throughout this gen we heard devs talking about how their only goal was to make sure that each version was at parity with one another. I really really expect multiplatform games to look better on one platform over the other. They'll make them look identical, or at least as close as possible, and then call it a day. As always you'll look toward exclusives to see what a console can do. That way porting is made much easier.

Only if developer will aim for PC, like some of them currently do with multiplatform games, like Crysis 3 or Battlefield 4 for example. They'll put all features for PC version and scale some down for PS4 and then more for Xbone.

But when game will be developed with next-gen consoles as a final target, PS4 and Xbone version will differ only in performance, LoD and IQ.

filopilo

Fratstar alt? Lol.
This is one possibility that could come to mind.But there's at least some other one.

-The demo ran in 1080p native resolution. Texture resolution was 1080p as well.
1080p less 20% up and down.And texture resolution is either 2k or 4k.Conservative.Witch would be a better bullet point than the wrong 1080p texture size (witch is not a number a texture artist would ever use).

-The framerate was not optimized at E3, and ran between 30 and 90 frames per second.
A little mouse i know told me this is BS. :)

-The demo used only 4 GB of the PS4′s 8 GB of RAM.
That's what the guy doing the presentation should have said to Hiphop gamer instead of saying "we're using half the power"...

-Each character takes a little less than one million polygons
Nobody would skin (setting up bones influences) that much polygons.Doesn't make any sense.
Try less than 100 000 (and multiply by 8 gobelins + one sorcerer and a deamon+shadow pass ,then you easily get pass the million).

-The vertex density of the 3D models is comparable to the CG used for film making.
Yeah ,the scanned data.

-Each character uses 40 different shaders.
meaningless without technical/practical context.

-The scene uses Volumetric Lightning, allowing individual beams of light to be displayed when the light shines through the environment.
...as dozens of other games.

-All particle effects are simulated in real time and emit light/create shadows.
(here i cringe silently... -to make it short.)

-Effects that would normally be applied in post production like Lens Flare, True 3D Depth of Field and Motion Blur are implemented in real time based on an accurate optical simulation.
Camera lens distortion and imperfections are also simulated.
Physics-based real time rendering is used for reflections and done by the rendering engine. When the lighting changes, the shaders don’t, but the reflection effect still changes dynamically based on lighting. This is a technique that was previously possible only for pre-rendered CG at this level of detail.

Mixed bag of false ,wrong or exagereted -mostly ignorant, mixing happilly apples and oranges- technobable to make it appear more impressive than it really is.

-To simulate the effect of wetness of the eye surface, the engine applies to it a mirrored image of the surrounding scene.
Yeah ,calling it a cubemap or a spheremap is sure less sexy...

-Each hair is drawn separately instead of being a texture applied to a polygonal model.
Daring claim, since it's obiously false.

The demo has been created by using the PS3 development pipeline used for Beyond: Two Souls, as PS4 development tools still weren’t available.

Oh, what happenend then, since we learned in a previous PR that Beyond was developped with toned done ps4 engine ?

All in all , i'm sure no developper actually fall for that list.It belongs to the PR business category ,even if it tries to look technical.
I'd call that techni-comical.

This is one possibility that could come to mind.But there's at least some other one.

-The demo ran in 1080p native resolution. Texture resolution was 1080p as well.
1080p less 20% up and down.And texture resolution is either 2k or 4k.Conservative.Witch would be a better bullet point than the wrong 1080p texture size (witch is not a number a texture artist would ever use).

-The framerate was not optimized at E3, and ran between 30 and 90 frames per second.

-The demo used only 4 GB of the PS4′s 8 GB of RAM.
That's what the guy doing the presentation should have said to Hiphop gamer instead of saying "we're using half the power"...

-Each character takes a little less than one million polygons
Nobody would skin (setting up bones influences) that much polygons.Doesn't make any sense.
Try less than 100 000 (and multiply by 8 gobelins + one sorcerer and a deamon+shadow pass ,then you easily get pass the million).

-The vertex density of the 3D models is comparable to the CG used for film making.
Yeah ,the scanned data.

-Each character uses 40 different shaders.

-The scene uses Volumetric Lightning, allowing individual beams of light to be displayed when the light shines through the environment.

-All particle effects are simulated in real time and emit light/create shadows.

-Effects that would normally be applied in post production like Lens Flare, True 3D Depth of Field and Motion Blur are implemented in real time based on an accurate optical simulation.
Camera lens distortion and imperfections are also simulated.
Physics-based real time rendering is used for reflections and done by the rendering engine. When the lighting changes, the shaders don’t, but the reflection effect still changes dynamically based on lighting. This is a technique that was previously possible only for pre-rendered CG at this level of detail.

Mixed bag of false ,wrong or exagereted -mostly ignorant, mixing happilly apples and oranges- technobable to make it appear more impressive than it really is.

-To simulate the effect of wetness of the eye surface, the engine applies to it a mirrored image of the surrounding scene.

-Each hair is drawn separately instead of being a texture applied to a polygonal model.

The demo has been created by using the PS3 development pipeline used for Beyond: Two Souls, as PS4 development tools still weren’t available.

Oh, what happenend then, since we learned in a previous PR that Beyond was developped with toned done ps4 engine ?

All in all , i'm sure no developper actually fall for that list.It belongs to the PR business category ,even if it tries to look technical.

Oh Man. Some Serious BS in there....

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Half of the things you "disprove" you just scoff at without an explanation when you can clearly see them in effect in the demo.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
That quote only mean that they wont program exclusive features for different platforms, not that they wont use ps4 low level API and its GPU functions to increase performance.

coding to the strength of the system IS the source of the performance increase. That is what coding to the metal means: coding to the specific hardware.

KKRT00

coding to the strength of the system IS the source of the performance increase. That is what coding to the metal means: coding to the specific hardware.

Have You even read the article?

BTW the quote is mostly about GPGPU and its efficiency in PS4. Everything coded for GPGPU will work on Xbone or PC, it will be just a little more efficient on PS4 [mostly less stalls] if You use PS4 specific code.

You're just being anal about what was said. 1080p obviously meant the output was native 1080p, black bars or not. 1080p textures wasn't really what was said, but it was native resolution textures.

You're gonna have to do better then that.

But.. that's what they said...

It was said multiple times it's around 1 million. Goblin are around 800k. If you have proff to claim otherwise show it.

Meaningless != BS.

Again, where's the BS?

Elaborate please.

Elaborate please.

Again, where's the BS?

When did we learn this?

Oh the irony.

filopilo

Half of the things you "disprove" you just scoff at without an explanation when you can clearly see them in effect in the demo.

Nothing in the PR list allow you to say that.
And most of the points i'm willing to go into are explained ,being honest.Even if you have to have some CG/game developpement knowlege to understand.
I mostly won't go into some territory i don't want to be carried in.

But i assume the BS claim ,even if i sincerely recognise and praise the talent behind this demo to the point that i don't think going into BS mode is even necessary or helping anything , on the contrary, honnesty would be of much more value.

Nothing in the PR list allow you to say that.
And most of the points i'm willing to go into are explained ,being honest.Even if you have to have some CG/game developpement knowlege to understand.
I mostly won't go into some territory i don't want to be carried in.

But i assume the BS claim ,even if i sincerely recognise and praise the talent behind this demo to the point that i don't think going into BS mode is even necessary or helping anything , on the contrary, honnesty would be of much more value.

Hi, welcome to NeoGAF.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
People are asking for elaboration of what is bullshit, not repetition of what you think is bullshit.

The former will convince people if reasoned and well presented, the latter looks evasive.

androvsky

I guess I'll pick one for now.
Daring claim that's obviously false? There's one character with hair (I don't think anybody counts the goblin's dreadlocks), and he's mostly bald.

filopilo

People are asking for elaboration of what is bullshit, not repetition of what you think is bullshit.

The former will convince people if reasoned and well presented, the latter looks evasive.

I know.
But I don't really want to convince anybody ,you know.I ' m basically just offering a blind gamble between PR shit and my naked reallity.. ;)

My first post was just like "thinking out loud".

filopilo

I guess I'll pick one for now.

Daring claim that's obviously false? There's one character with hair (I don't think anybody counts the goblin's dreadlocks), and he's mostly bald.
The sorcerer has white hair.
You can see by the physics (how they move) , by the streching (how it's textured) ,and by the DOF (how it's rendered,most precisely sorted) , that's it's classic alpha strip texturing'.

GameSeeker

BTW ,20% pixel less to draw is something.Considering pixel cost next-generation on physically based shaders.
You don't think they are rendering anything behind the bars,do you ?

The 1920x800 resolution is a cinematic choice to get a 2.4 aspect ratio. It's valid to argue whether it's a good choice or not, but 2.4 is a common aspect ratio in movies (e.g., CinemaScope or Panavision) and that is what Quantic Dream was trying to emulate.

Rendering a few less pixels would affect the overall framerate, but doesn't diminish the quality of the models, shaders, particle effects, textures, animation, lighting, sound, etc. All of these things are some of the best ever demonstrated on a next-gen console so far.

androvsky

The sorcerer has white hair.
You can see by the physics (how they move) , by the streching (how it's textured) ,and by the DOF (how it's rendered,most precisely sorted) , that's it's classic alpha strip texturing'.
It's much fuller looking than you'd expect from that, and how it moves doesn't say much since I don't think anyone's expecting an advanced hair physics simulation quite yet. It's still pretty good...
I know.
But I don't really want to convince anybody ,you know.I ' m basically just offering a blind gamble between PR shit and my naked reallity.. ;)

My first post was just like "thinking out loud".
So you are just throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks?

filopilo

The 1920x800 resolution is a cinematic choice to get a 2.4 aspect ratio. It's valid to argue whether it's a good choice or not, but 2.4 is a common aspect ratio in movies (e.g., CinemaScope or Panavision) and that is what Quantic Dream was trying to emulate.

Rendering a few less pixels would affect the overall framerate, but doesn't diminish the quality of the models, shaders, particle effects, textures, animation, lighting, sound, etc. All of these things are some of the best ever demonstrated on a next-gen console so far.

100% agreed.
And with a framerate between 30 and 90,granted it's not a big deal....
But in 33 ms or less, rendering 20% more pixels costs an arm.

Its over half a million pixels less to render.
Sorry but that is quiet some performance boost you get by effectively cheating. A quarter less pixels to render compared to full 1080p games.

filopilo

So you are just throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks?

Just to be clear:
Just forget my little mouse for a moment.
There some quite some points i responded that any one with some experience in developpement (i have) will just think "omg ,what a pile of shit".That's a fact.

Then, as a PR list ,it's was probably writen by ignorant pr people mixing things and without proper understanding.

So, this is enough to cover for a big part the reasons of my first post.

GameSeeker

Its over half a million pixels less to render.
Sorry but that is quiet some performance boost you get by effectively cheating. A quarter less pixels to render compared to full 1080p games.

You are missing the point. The Dark Sorcerer tech demo was not done to show off frame rate (which they didn't optimize for and left un-locked for the demo). It was done to show off the quality of the models, shaders, particle effects, textures, animation, lighting, sound, etc., which, again, are some of the best ever demonstrated on a next-gen console.

You are missing the point. The Dark Sorcerer tech demo was not done to show off frame rate (which they didn't optimize for and left un-locked for the demo). It was done to show off the quality of the models, shaders, particle effects, textures, animation, lighting, sound, etc., which, again, are some of the best ever demonstrated on a next-gen console.

Can be but, when most games are going to run 1080p hopefully.
Its nice to have tech demos that also runs at 1080p. Because dropping quarter of the resolution will also be used as a way to say QD is cheating with some lame cinematic bullshit story. You could just as easily run it on xfire 7970 like BF4 and say power of next gen.

filopilo

You are missing the point. The Dark Sorcerer tech demo was not done to show off frame rate (which they didn't optimize for and left un-locked for the demo).
It's supposed to be a ps4 demo.A demonstration of ps4 's power.This means gmae conditions mostly.

If you don't care about the frame rate,then most of it could perfectly have been rendered on a ps3 in an 'offline' mode like ND does with its cinematics.

GameSeeker

It's supposed to be a ps4 demo.A demonstration of ps4 's power.This means gmae conditions mostly.

And they achieved this goal. No one else has demonstrated anything even close to the quality of the models, shaders, particle effects, textures, animation, lighting, sound, etc. on any other next-gen console at 1080p, 720p or even 480p.

When someone else can do an equivalent tech demo at a higher res and a higher frame rate, then we will have an argument. Until then, Quantic Dream 1, everyone else 0.

Now, don't get me wrong. Other developers will, in the future, put out stuff that looks far better than this Quantic Dream tech demo. It's still very early in the life-cycle of the next gen consoles (Microsoft and Sony haven't even launched yet!). The demo shows that the future is bright for prospective PS4 owners and we haven't yet hit the "diminishing returns" wall just yet.

luca_29_bg

And they achieved this goal. No one else has demonstrated anything even close to the quality of the models, shaders, particle effects, textures, animation, lighting, sound, etc. on any other next-gen console at 1080p, 720p or even 480p.

When someone else can do an equivalent tech demo at a higher res and a higher frame rate, then we will have an argument. Until then, Quantic Dream 1, everyone else 0.

Now, don't get me wrong. Other developers will, in the future, put out stuff that looks far better than this Quantic Dream tech demo. It's still very early in the life-cycle of the next gen consoles (Microsoft and Sony haven't even launched yet!). The demo shows that the future is bright for prospective PS4 owners and we haven't yet hit the "diminishing returns" wall just yet.

the order 1886 it's pretty much similar, of course the dark sorcerer it's better but the order it's a full game, and the dark sorcerer it's a demo in a room. ^^

hesido

Even if Quantic Dream goes full PR bullshit, it still doesn't change the fact that this was a realtime demo on PS4 hardware and it was the best realtime showcase of 3d rendering I've ever seen (although with some minuses that can be remedied, as mentioned in my previous posts).

Top Bottom