• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 UI Gamescom stage demo

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Update: Higher res version with a better camera angle over at Gamersyde.

The PS YouTube account posted a video of the Gamescom demo with a closer angle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaPoLJyDZmM&sns=tw

GJO4gH6.png

gc13_ps4interface1uouuu.png

gc13_ps4interface25uurh.png

gc13_ps4interface50du4a.png

gc13_ps4interface30iui2.png

gc13_ps4interface6v8uwf.png

gc13_ps4interface8d8uqd.png

gc13_ps4interface9enut3.png

gc13_ps4interface100luu4.png

gc13_ps4interface11dpuyq.png

gc13_ps4interface12l7u3t.png

Oppo

This looked quite good. Nice and snappy. And the XMB isn't totally dead, I saw it lurking in there during Shu's demo.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Pleasing to see streaming/spectating is in from day one.

And joining multiplayer from spectating...in 7 seconds? Is nice.

I like how fast he hoped into that game from the UI. I'm guessing that you have to have the game downloaded or either inside the system, but still it was cool.

The UI overall doesn't look that bad. I'm just happy to hear that I can finally play music while playing games. Fighting games are going to get more interesting now :)

Dany

Banned
I like how fast he hoped into that game from the UI. I'm guessing that you have to have the game downloaded or either inside the system, but still it was cool.

The UI overall doesn't look that bad. I'm just happy to hear that I can finally play music while playing games. Fighting games are going to get more interesting now :)

I can't believe that sony wasn't able to do this on the ps3.

Nothing on party system, cross game chat or party matchmaking. The "join" function seemed neat - but not sure how it works, as in, does it join the party, chat and game all at once?

Corsick

The loading time from UI to in game was probably the most impressive thing from Gamescom to me. It was a tangible example of how well the UI worked, which gave me confidence it was pretty snappy in general. I love game announcements, but stuff like this is perhaps indicative of overall performance for the OS. The other thing that I liked from Sony was the range of titles they announced felt genuinely diverse, but that's for another topic.

Took 5 seconds

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Love how easy it is to jump in and out of a game. Almost makes me want to try going digital, at least for multiplayer centric games.

As I suspected, it's the cluster of boxes thing mixed with the PS3's crossbar

I like it. Hopefully you get some flexibility with backgrounds and themes

Killthee

Nothing on party system, cross game chat or party matchmaking. The "join" function seemed neat - but not sure how it works, as in, does it join the party, chat and game all at once?
I did thought it was interesting that Parties has it's own section up on the top bar.

X77zrGr.png

Hope we get a full walkthrough soon.

Krakn3Dfx

It'd be cool if they got Chrome or Firefox on the PS4. The build in browser on the PS3 and Vita are seriously lacking. Sony seems to be in good with Google, they should have Chrome up on that thing.

Was he controlling the keyboard with the PS Eye and controller light?

I thought it looked like it now uses a cursor to select the letter instead of moving in a grid, but I assume he was still using the thumbsticks.

I'm still not a fan of every fucking thing on the system being in a horizontal row and no way to search or filter it. I'm going all digital so that will become a large list pretty fast for me...

kadotsu

Banned
I thought it looked like it now uses a cursor to select the letter instead of moving in a grid, but I assume he was still using the thumbsticks.

I'm still not a fan of every fucking thing on the system being in a horizontal row and no way to search or filter it. I'm going all digital so that will become a large list pretty fast for me...

Remember, the controller has a touchpad.

Killthee

Someone in the last UI thread said there's a library view and the horizontal row they've been showing is limited to items you've recently launched.

This is the main UI which shows your most recently played games, the games library UI is different from this.

They showed it at Develope behind closed doors developers session.

Liking it a lot more than the XBONE UI. It just seems more alive and welcoming to the user and that is a big point they should touch on in marketing.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Not too happy about this. Looks like the new PS store HTML crap, only running on a faster machine. It just lacks that smooth acceleration and seamless easing of XMB/Vita transitions.

But, it works well and it seems quite thought out, so that's great.

flippedb

Banned
Looks like a fan mock-up. PS3's OS was classy.

Also, this might not be running live, that's probably why Yoshida is sitting on that large chair, hiding his hands and controller all the time. At least, that's what it seems from the video.

We'll see when it's released.

DieH@rd

Banned

Also, this might not be running live, that's probably why Yoshida is sitting on that large chair, hiding his hands and controller all the time. At least, that's what it seems from the video.

What.gif

pompidu

I like what I'm seeing, smooth snappy. Love being able to just watch a friend real quick then join at any time. That's really sweet.

xptoxyz

OS UI looks really good I like the pptions pop up on top looks a nice way to do it way still having a greater focus on the rest. The game launching/joining server was really impressive speed, even if the game were already in background, just a server join and level load seems crazy.

Dislike the PS3 OS personally. Seemed suited better to a Blu Ray player than a online gaming system.

Top Bottom