• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 vs Xbox One console sizes - PS4 is small

cartridge

Banned
I did not say the PS4 specs were anemic!
That was someone else you fool!

My bad. No need for insults.

You claimed that the GDDR5 was a plus over PCs, that is not true!

It is for a machine designed for the sole purpose of playing video games.

I do not need to be a damn engineer to tell you Jaguar is slow, we have this thing called benchmarks (and data on it's speed VS bobcat from AMD!)

Get over it.

PC benchmarks. Do you have PS4 benchmarks? And slow compared to what? A $300 top of the line CPU running a Windows OS?

I am willing the wager the PS4 is more powerful for games @1080p than the best gaming laptop currently on the market.

panty

Can we have a comparison of their sizes? The PS4 looked small in Andrew House's hands at the conference.

80tfogv.jpg

From a gaffer:

That can't be right. Look at the BD-bay.

Nope.

E: Oh the drive itself is between the layers... well that might make it.

iceatcs

My bad. No need for insults.

It is for a machine designed for the sole purpose of playing video games.

PC benchmarks. Do you have PS4 benchmarks? And slow compared to what? A $300 top of the line CPU running a Windows OS?

I am willing the wager the PS4 is more powerful for games @1080p than the best gaming laptop currently on the market.
There are triple SLi laptop out there. Heh.
Really crazy but it got to please to that specific group.

The_Monk

Should we be worried about the PS4 over heating considering it's power and size fellow GAFfers?

Sorry if this has been answered before, thanks in advance!

The PS4 is goddamned impressive. I'm not a hardware buff, but shouldn't MS have been able to make the One that small considering that the two consoles share so much of the same technology?

Surely if it's just a question of industrial design and an issue part placement, MS must have brain stormed a similar configuration that they didn't use? It just doesn't make any sense.

big_z

i kinda hope sony changes the back of the ps4. make it flat to reduce the depth by an inch. no one sees the back and i rather save the space. it should also reduce noise some since air wont be pushed through little plastic tunnels.

btw some one should shop the ps4 into ice white with red led strip. i think that would look even more slick.

sholvaco

Neo Member
The feather weight of the PS4 isn't something to be celebrated IMO. Certain components like the cooling assembly simply need to have mass to operate efficiently.

Also given the narrow width of the console and the position of the optical slot the only blower fan that could fit is an 8 cm one like the one used on the 2011 slim. If anyone has that revision, how is the noise?

cartridge

Banned
Smaller = Cheaper to manufacture. Right? Which means that the PS4 is cheap to manufacture. It´s smaller than i thought.

I'd probably say the opposite, considering everything aside from transistors, capacitors, etc, are custom fabricated specifically for the console. Smaller manufacture process low thermal output CPUs and GPUs are generally more expensive to produce (this is mainly why high-end laptops are comparable in price to high-end desktops, despite the performance disparity). I think where Sony and MS are really saving money is the more common x86 architecture, vs. something like cell.

Zok310

Banned
The more I see the PS4, the more I like the design.
When they first revealed it I thought it looked a bit simple - but actually it resembles the PS2, only sleeker.

Smaller than i thought, its comparable to the 1st gen ps3 slim.
I feel the same way, after a few hours and comparing it to others the designs the small details started to stand out.
The 1 for some reason i like the design also. A few years ago i would work for this high end audio designer pulling BOMs, and everything they made was a box filled with holes, that shit must have grown on me.

I saw both on the show floor. The nice thing is the two systems match. That said the Sony system looks a lot better. I like the angled "italics" design better. And of course that its thinner.

Westlo

To be honest when I saw the ps4 design I was pretty disappointed, but it's been growing on me like crazy and I love the way it looks standing up, dat ps2 nod. And now the size of it just tops it off.

SRG01

What plays into the decision to go with an internal PSU? External makes the console smaller and cooler...but internal makes it look more expensive or something?

Thermal budget and overall design. The price difference between internal and external isn't that much (they're all switching circuits regardless), so it all boils down to how the power dissipation is handled.

Chrisness

Banned
I can't wait to see the size difference of the boxes the consoles come in.

Kinect + bigger console + external power supply = o_o

partime

I can't believe people are forgetting about the huge power brick Xbox needs, it might be in the dark, not seeing the light of day, but it is still part of the console.

Boost

Banned
I see some people calling the PS4 design ugly, and shit, whatever, personal opinion, but does anybody else think design = function?

Maybe one of the reasons of the slanted design is to aide in cooling function? I mean, anybody can throw a box around some internal, but last generation both consoles had heating issues, and your less likely to drop design and revamp it from the ground up mid console cycle.

Anyways, I think the design is perfect, and serves purpose for other issues built inside. Good job Sony.

lachesis

Well, I wonder how loud PS4 would be... I think Xbone might be much quieter than PS4 due to it's large, single fan design...

deadnoob

Also PS4 has no power brick, it's an internal PSU and this is TBD for XBONE.

Damn! When I saw the console I was sort of bummed because I was certain they moved the power supply outside the box. Now I'm actually really amazed by the size of that thing.

VanWinkle

That one up there doesn't seem right either, because if you overlap them, it looks like PS4 is barely even thinner than the Xbox One, despite one being less than two thirds the thinness.

jb0e5SsYqZecip.png

Quick question. Sony and microsoft love to advertise their consoles standing up but it turns out you can run into problems doing so. Do people think that the same applies with the ps4? Its advertised upright but you are really going to want to lay it flat?

eastmen

Banned
Quick question. Sony and microsoft love to advertise their consoles standing up but it turns out you can run into problems doing so. Do people think that the same applies with the ps4? Its advertised upright but you are really going to want to lay it flat?

the disc drive causes the problem that is all. Discs can get scratched that way

The Xbox One has 2 GPUS, that's why it's bigger!!!! (I held out hope that it would, that would have brought it close to PS4 level capabilities.)

Majmun

Ps4 looks like alien technology. Especially when you take into consideration that the PSU is internal and that the specs are supposedly better than X1's.

Very impressive.

Top Bottom