• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps4 was nearly double Xbox One sales in Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTM

The $500 price point is insane. Especially when your competitor's console is considered more powerful and $100 cheaper.

MS needs to figure something out.

RE_Player

Titanfall could have been the biggest new IP this generation but EA fucked up and chose the wrong pony. We don't live in a world where exclusive third party games make sense. Destiny will be a hit on everything and Activision will be on top this generation as well.

Let us not forget that the PS4 is doing this with " no games ".

What is going to happen when the PS4 " has games " ?

MS spent what was it, a billion dollars on exclusives and marketing for this console and it is getting beaten pretty good at the moment. We will see what Titanfall does, but good lord if Titanfall hits and March is still a lead for Sony ... it is going to get very interesting.

I'm rather surprised to be honest. I've never actually seen a PS4 sitting on a shelf in a store before. Yet we've got Xbox Ones just sitting on the shelf at Walmart. So I thought Sony's inability to meet supply would hurt them.

I thought much the same. I've finally seen some XB1's in stock at a few stores, but not a hint of a PS4 anywhere. Guess rather than poor supply it was just people zapping them up as soon as they show up.

Amir0x

Banned
Is this bad? I mean, what does it realistically mean for Xbox owners such as myself. Should I be concerned about those rumors of MS nixing the xbox division? Whomever sells more, more power to them as I don't know how it will affect me. I don't want to be left with a brick at the end of the day though because I do like what Xbox is offering. As long as they don't drop it I am happy with whatever the result is.

Not yet. They will ride this generation through.

It's next generation you should watch to see what happens. IF this trend continues. It's still early yet, so we should all have some perspective on that score. Anything could happen after a price cut and some killer apps... PS3 managed to even out with Xbox 360 by the end of the gen. Of course PS3 actually sold in many territories around the world instead of just a few, but Xbox One could still conceivably carve out a decent niche in North America.

hqdefaultawk2h.jpg

Scottiths

Banned
Industry types reading this thread observing our reactions should know that many of us reacting to this news are not reacting out of any supposed fanboyism. It is more akin to the desire to be an armchair quarterback or CEO in this case. Everyone has done this in their life - even you.

OMG! THANK YOU! Not sarcasm either. I was always wondering why there was so much concern about these sales numbers. I may not like the resolution arguments, but I can at least get where they are coming from (People want to buy what they feel is the best) I didn't understand these sales threads though. Your explanation actually makes sense, and I can kind of see the appeal to thinking you had something to do with the sales numbers if you bought a PS4. :)

Reallink

How much did MS pay EA for the Titanfall deal?

To offset a PS3 and PS4 release, probably around 200 million give or take. EA would presumably be projecting in the neighborhood of 6 or 7 million at ~$30 return per unit. Come to think of it, they'd also have to account for DLC, so potentially up to 250-300 million.

RulkezX

Ohhh, Xbone will get a Titanfall bump for sure. Most likely will surpass PS4 for that month.

It'll get a bump, but I'm not sure it will pass PS4 numbers. People seem to forget that a lot of current X1 purchases will have been made with Titanfall in mind, not every potential buyer is sitting waiting until the 11th.

To offset a PS3 and PS4 release, probably around 200 million give or take. EA would presumably be projecting in the neighborhood of 6 or 7 million at $30 return per unit.

More like 4-5 million, people expecting this to do better than the likes of GEoW right out the gate are setting themselves up for disappointment.

SmokyDave

I actually expect Sony to have a near insurmountable lead in the USA by the end of the year. One might be able to equalize with PS4, but by then Sony will have an appreciable lead in MS largest market.
It's definitely going to be interesting to watch, even if the race isn't as close as I expected. It'll be interesting to see how it affects software support too.

Why is it nuts? Think about what has happened. We have a system 100 cheaper, with a razor consistent message since February 2013, who continues to focus on the gamers who are usually the early adopters, with a system that is more powerful for that cheaper value, who receives every superior multiplatform port and, unlike Xbox One, has been supply constrained for months now showcasing clear preference.

Not only is a lot of these factors comparable to the reasons for PS3's early failure, but Microsoft's messaging continues to be a mess, and there's seemingly no end in sight.
I guess I had too little faith in the American market. For all the negatives of the XBone, it's still got that 'American Brand' thing going on. Seems that isn't as important as I thought. Good for US consumers.

New002

Crazy. Wonder what MS will do. As much as I hate the idea of them dropping kinect, I can't help but think that they're considering it at this point.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Surely not. I expect the PS4 to have sold more, but nowhere near that much.

And that is with stock still fairly tricky to find. If Sony had shipped more, they'd have sold more.

But this isn't so much how many Sony sold, it's how few MS sold.

I never thought I would say this about the Xbox one, but I'm holding out for a £250 now. Absolutely ludicrous. It's basically child's play to find one for £350 or under here in London.

I don't blame you. I hope retailers start to pile on the pressure too with discounting, offers, etc.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I pointed this out in the other thread, but I think that title is an error. In the actual Press Release they only refer to 'Xbox Family' as largest selling, if it was just XB1 they would have reiterated the point.

possibly typo on purpose? some people only read headlines and just skim the rest

GhaleonEB

Headline: "Xbox One Leads US Game Sales in January"

PR text:

More importantly, it is gratifying for our team to see Xbox continue to prove it’s the best place to play games. January NPD Group figures released today revealed Xbox* sold the most games across all console platforms in January with 2.27 million units sold, making up 47 percent of software market share. Fans continue to show their excitement for new generation Xbox One games, with U.S. consumers purchasing an average of 2.7 games per console since launch.

*Across Xbox One and Xbox 360

Am I missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom