• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps4 was nearly double Xbox One sales in Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecanada

How much did MS pay EA for the Titanfall deal?

that is the million dollar question , or in this case , it better be a 50 million dollar question... just think if PS4 sold 8 million in the next while, and titanfall was as big a deal as they wanted it to be they could sell 3 million copies on ps4

3 million * 30 dollar average price = $90 000 000

Neo Ankh

Neo Member
Microsoft needs to drop kinect and get down to $400 like tomorrow. Even that will just lessen the market loss that's coming this gen.

Guys. Why do we have to rush to play the xbone is doomed card? The ps4 could very well be in this situation in a few months time. It is selling great now but do we really expect lets say around 500k na sales each month? I dont think so and more importantly i dont see any games releasing in the next six months to even sustain those kinda sales. I think it is people who are even still embued with hype or early adopters who havent been able to pin one down over the holidays really making up the brunt of these sales. Id love to be wrong though but we really cant crown either system champion yet.

Supply contrains and all that but im not convinced that the ps4 can sustain these kinda of sales. In fact, i think it is wishful thinking on many of our parts because we want the industry to be healthy. Precedent shows that a generation is anyones game and it just takes one game or concept and your fortune can change. Hell, the ps3 made many many more plunders outta the gate and still sold 80mil.

Chill with the arm chair analyst knee jerk shit. Reads likes that slowtaku comic in here.

That said, im sure microsofts shareholders are not pleased with this at all.

Who does MS think they are tricking with this PR? Basically NeoGAF deciphers the NPD results and dishes out the message for the rest of the industry anyway

If the fastest selling debacle is any indication, they can basically fool 90% of the journalists and the gamers who read their articles.

Also guys.

Over 300 thousands units first Jan is almost Wiilike sales. Really really big for a home console, and astounding for one that's already broken 2 million units in two months.

This is terrible for MS, and to think, the X1 is doing even worse WW. Holy crap.

Titanfall will give it a boost for a week or two but one game won't be enough. Time to bring out the chalkboard?

Price drop should be incoming soon. We already saw that Walmart bundle where you get a free game with your Xbox One.

Interested to see if the PS4 sold more in the U.S. in January.

Woo-Fu

Banned
In fairness Sony did the same sort of spin last generation. It wasn't how well the PS3 was doing, it was how well Playstation was doing. All of them do it. :)

GobFather

I was in Costco the other day and I couldn't believe how many XBones they had. They were stacked 7ft high 7' x 7'. Try we're selling for $475. I did not see any PS4's.

Kinda sad really.

Titan Fall almost convinced me to get one, but then I remembered I'd need to pay $60 a year to play it. I'll stick with my PS4 an wait for TF2 ( hopefully )

me too! I saw this at Costco for the last two weeks. Same amount each time I saw it.

quest

Not Banned from OT
The shrinkage of the market might be more than I even thought. This could be a return to closer to the PS1 era total sales unless something changes fast.

MS went Sony 2006 levels on the arrogance factor and they are now paying for it. I DO NOT want XBONE to fail whatsoever but I sure hope they are a distant second place after what they tried to pull. I have neither forgiven nor forgotten.

Reallink

It'll get a bump, but I'm not sure it will pass PS4 numbers. People seem to forget that a lot of current X1 purchases will have been made with Titanfall in mind, not every potential buyer is sitting waiting until the 11th.

More like 4-5 million, people expecting this to do better than the likes of GEoW right out the gate are setting themselves up for disappointment.

They're are a lot more PS3's and PS4's out there than when any of the GeoW launched. EA seem pretty convinced this is the next CoD, so I think 4 or 5 million is definitely on the low side.

RE_Player

If Destiny takes off and Titanfall flounders then it'll be another "fire everyone, then reinvent company as a wonderful, experimental gaming company" routine for EA like they did in 2009.
They won't do that. They'll double down on mobile and micro transactions.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
People should check the link on the OP. Dear Lord! It makes my head spin!

We’ve seen over 740 million hours of fun on Xbox One across games, apps, and TV.

Our top apps showcase the diversity of entertainment enjoyed on Xbox One, including TV, Upload, Internet Explorer, Game DVR, Netflix, YouTube, Skype, Xbox Video and Blu-Ray player.

People are seeing the benefit of Kinect, with over 685 million speech commands used to navigate Xbox One, including 20 million commands of “Xbox, Record That” alone.

Xbox One connects families and friends in unparalleled ways. Over 1 million people have launched Skype on Xbox One, discovering the brilliance of large screen communication every day.

Oh Lord! LOL

Chobel

Guys. Why do we have to rush to play the xbone is doomed card? The ps4 could very well be in this situation in a few months time. It is selling great now but do we really expect lets say around 500k na sales each month? I dont think so and more importantly i dont see any games releasing in the next six months to even sustain those kinda sales. I think it is people who are even still embued with hype or early adopters who havent been able to pin one down over the holidays really making up the brunt of these sales. Id love to be wrong though but we really cant crown either system champion yet.

Supply contrains and all that but im not convinced that the ps4 can sustain these kinda of sales. In fact, i think it is wishful thinking on many of our parts because we want the industry to be healthy. Precedent shows that a generation is anyones game and it just takes one game or concept and your fortune can change. Hell, the ps3 made many many more plunders outta the gate and still sold 80mil.

Chill with the arm chair analyst knee jerk shit. Reads likes that slowtaku comic in here.

That said, im sure microsofts shareholders are not pleased with this at all.

Damage control and wishing sale parity... Oh Man!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Also guys.

Over 300 thousands units first Jan is almost Wiilike sales. Really really big for a home console, and astounding for one that's already broken 2 million units in two months.

Amazing. And it doesn't seem to be really software driven- I doubt too many people would argue PS4 has a killer app.

To me it appears there was a huge market for a new system after such a long generation, but that market is big enough for one platform and Sony is getting most of those customers.

damisa

Well I guess we got our answer to whether Xbone would drop off a cliff after Nov/Dec.

It's almost eerie how similar is it to Wii U, except on a more successful scale.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a large drop off happen with the PS4 as well in another month or two, just with higher numbers.

I actually expect Sony to have a near insurmountable lead in the USA by the end of the year. One might be able to equalize with PS4, but by then Sony will have an appreciable lead in MS largest market.

I agree. Without any region to sure up long term sales, late adopters are going to follow the existing trends and you will see Sony expanding its lead in the US/Canada and obviously across Europe and Asia.

tensuke

MS really only has the US and UK within reach, but PS4 is dominating instead. They need a pricecut, they need to cut out Kinect, they need to remove paywalls, they need to step up GWG, and they need to reorganize internal studios. Lower the focus on Kinect games, and branch out from Halo, Gears, and Forza. Yes, they've gt Ryse, DR3, KI, QB, TF, SO...But they haven't really shown they're capable of much with internal studios.

Do all of these, they have a shot of pulling ahead of PS4. Do some of these, they can make up ground and stay competitive. Do one or none at all--they have no shot.

Sony stepped it the hell up after the PS3 was failing, we'll see if MS humbles or if they'll stay arrogant. The arrogance isn't exactly pleasing the board...

GhaleonEB

You're missing only the lengths at which MS is willing to go to spin. They know some game media websites will just read the headline and make conclusions. The guy who tweeted to us that PS4 beat Xbox One sales for January also said Xbox One sold the most software in January. He made that conclusion off the press release. Mission success, no?

I figured, but as I'm running on 3 hours sleep, I thought maybe I really was just missing something.

The headline is an outright fabrication. It seems a wee early to get that desperate, but here we are.

I love how fast data changes things; a half hour ago we weren't sure how things were shaking out. Now we know MS must be panicking. I really did not anticipate a collapse this sharp even given the price disparity. Not this soon, at any rate.

tipoo

Banned
I think people should rememeber this is still their strongest XB launch EVER. They aren't doing bad, far far from it. The PS4 is just doing more incrediballs.

Microsoft consistently has the most godawful exclusives in the industry apart from halo, and now even that series is mediocre. Considering that it also runs every multiplat worse than the ps4 due to spec differences, there's no reason to buy an an xbone if you arent interested in the multimedia features.

And that is a horible position to be in for MS. You can't make a system that isnt suited for people with gaming as their highest priority and expect those same people to support you at launch.

Im sorry, but this is horseshit.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
oO

I expected sales parity in the first Jan to be honest, especially with Sony's supply constraints.

But I guess I should have known by now that one thing MS doesn't seem to have on it's side this time is parity, of any form :p

Amazing. And it doesn't seem to be really software driven- I doubt too many people would argue PS4 has a killer app.

To me it appears there was a huge market for a new system after such a long generation, but that market is big enough for one platform and Sony is getting most of those customers.

Also bad word of mouth travels fast. Microsoft has not yet recovered from their xbone pre release debacle. The ps4 is the "cool" system now.

RulkezX

They're are a lot more PS3's and PS4's out there than when any of the GeoW launched. EA seem pretty convinced this is the next CoD, so I think 4 or 5 million is definitely on the low side.

If EA wanted ( or expected ) CoD like numbers it would be on every platform known to man, like FIFA and Madden are.

4-5 million for a new IP is a massive success.

Kinect is their differentiator, they NEED to play the long game with that and leave it in. The problem with Kinect is that delaying Kinect Sports Rivals they didn't really provide a compelling reason at launch from a software point of view to include it - I love all the voice commands but I used in Zoo Tycoon to try it then didn't do it again, turned them off in DR3 and tried KSR Preseason once.

Microsoft would be better off leaving in Kinect, dropping the console by $50 and adding in a digital copy of Ryse, DR3, Forza 5 or Zoo Tycoon (give people the choice)

The lower specs aren't a problem, neither is Kinect the problem is exclusively the price. I think they've done a great job so far of getting good content on the console but when PS4 launched at the same time at $100 they've proven that they can't match it.

I look forward to my free game from MS as part of their "ambassador" program.

EGOMON

egZhu.jpg

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I think people should rememeber this is still their strongest XB launch EVER. They aren't doing bad, far far from it. The PS4 is just doing more incrediballs.

Wasn't 360 heavily supply constrained?

To me this looks a lot like the PS3 launch which took a long long time and a lot of hard work for Sony to get out from under.

cripterion

Am I the only one that doesn't understand the doom and gloom? Aren't both next gen consoles selling better than their previous counterparts?

ironcreed

Banned
Congrats to Sony. This is honestly what Microsoft gets. They made so many bad management decisions in the last couple of years and it has finally caught up with them. I'm saying this as an Xbox fan that this can be looked at as being a good thing as Microsoft will have no choice but to start getting aggressive again, something they have not been doing for the last few years they were on top imo. But again, congrats to Sony for making all the right decisions this past year.

Yeah, I am still planning to get an Xbone and this is exactly how I see it. They are getting their ass kicked because it's a simple matter of cause and effect. They have no choice but to respond and the Xbone will hopefully be all the better off for it in the long run. As it stands? It's too god damn expensive and looks ridiculous next to a more powerful PS4 at $100 less. It is what it is.

I need to see how the rest of the year plays out, but if they maintain or exceed this level of interest through the year Sony will zoom past Nintendo's first year Wii sales. Meaning the industry might not be doomed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom