• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Outsold Series X/S by Almost 5x Last Quarter

Kilau

Gold Member
Throw The Towel GIF

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

Now this is...something. No wonder they hit that panic button. Not even shipping 1M consoles for an entire quarter is something that even MS didn't expect early this gen i think.
How bad is it going to do next year?

They’re closing down studios left and right + porting their games to PS5. I honestly don’t know why anybody would buy an Xbox right now. It can only get worse from here.

SHA

They’re closing down studios left and right + porting their games to PS5. I honestly don’t know why anybody would buy an Xbox right now. It can only get worse from here.
It's on them, Phil did mention it before, it's not like it's not selling every unit, this is a different case than last gen.

Yup, Xbox consoles have fallen through the floor.

Sony also doesn't see the ps5 outselling the ps4. I think we will see it slip and fall further behind here on out. That is why they mentioned that they are focusing on player time and retaining players across other platforms.
More PC stuff incoming with psn logins

Imagine living in your world.

Sony has the PS5 keeping pace with the PS4 through next fiscal year. There is no telling what the following fiscal year has in store i.e. potential price cuts and GTA6.

Will you close your account if PS5 outpaces PS4 by the end of FY25?

As for focusing on MAUs, they aren't talking about PC. They're talking about combined MAUs on PS4 and PS5 that highlight they still have more consumers to convert from PS4 to PS5. The combined MAUs between devices shows the real strength of the PlayStation platform.

I spoke about it in another thread, but Europe has a long way to go and is the reason why PS5 is lagging behind PS4. What do you think happens when CoD and EA FC don't release on PS4? These people will go out and buy PS5s.

Once PS6 launches, PlayStation as a Platform is going to be a thing. They'll probably continue supporting PS5 for another 5-6 years post PS6 launch as it will make little sense to force people to PS6. I think you can also expect PS6 to launch for 600.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The economy is shit. People aren't locked down due to covid anymore , limited new games, no first party stuff, woke shit left and right, oh and no price cuts. Its no wonder its below ps4. It won't go above unless they fix the things I just mentioned. Unfortunately, the younger audience doesn't care about games, good music or movies, so they won't give it a boost. Just streamers, and fortnite/minecraft/roblox/cod - gaas. So software will be down too, as its just people over 25 buying games (mostly).

Xbox dug its own grave with gamepass and trying to buy up the industry. We all know that.

Last edited:

Nydius

They are basically selling with the same split as PS4/XBO 🤷‍♂️
True, but what makes it damning is that they’ve kept the exact same gap despite adding a budget SKU.

The whole point of the Series S was to close the sales gap by offering something cheaper and more enticing. It’s failed to accomplish that goal and if they were competing with only a single SKU like the PS4/XBO days (pre-pro/X), they’d be much further behind.

Last edited:

Unknown?

A little more.

Welfare was saying the PS5 was outselling the Xbox Series consoles 6:1 at Walmarts in the US and this was before the recent news of studio closures.

That would suggest it's getting worse and further apart as we speak.
Remember when the Wii was ON FIRE in 2008/9 and then in 2010 it just flatlined? This is like that except the Series consoles were never on fire.

j0hnnix

I might just sell my series x at this point. If it wasn't for that one year of game pass.. Once that is done I'll see where Xbox is and how far a hole they have dug themselves into and maybe move my money into PS+ Premium which has one year as well.

Now you know why MS is so happy with PS5 (from Satya Nadella himself). You will start to see BIG games day one from MS on PS5 to catch the "hype".

Games with dead hype like Hi Fi Rush aren't gonna do well on PS.

True, but what makes it damning is that they’ve kept the exact same gap despite adding a budget SKU.
I mean, the market clearly demonstrated that it is not about the price of the device per se at this point - people just buy stuff they want to and that's it. PC market is a clear example of that - as GPU purchases are not stopping due to GPU prices. Last year we essentially saw that Xbox sells better with lower price so it would sell more if it was cheaper than PS (like 199/399), but I don't see that happening as margins on hardware is too low for that and hardware die does not shrink anymore either.

All in all, between Xbox and PS5 the market just does not find Xbox attractive for the same price. Maybe that what contributed to Xbox 360 success - it was cheaper than PS3 at that time (and even did not help much worldwide aside USA).

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

The whole point of the Series S was to close the sales gap by offering something cheaper and more enticing. It’s failed to accomplish that goal and if they were competing with only a single SKU like the PS4/XBO days (pre-pro/X), they’d be much further behind.
PS5 Digital completely destroyed the Series 2 SKU strategy.

Top Bottom