• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro developer verdict: ‘I didn’t meet a single person that understood the point of it’

Senua

Few hundreds? WTF? Call girls charge $80 for this here lmao.
Continue Season 9 GIF by The Office

Tqaulity

I don't think this gives the juice you think it does. Here is DF's post on Returnal PC vs. PS5:

It's funny because he even says "look at the jump in image quality", and looking at the provided screenshot, it's like, "yea... Ok, I see it, but who cares really"

And sure some do, but this takes me back to my original point. The PS4 Pro upgrade was obvious and easy to sell, and coincided with 4K TVs. If screenshot comparisons like what are in that article is what they have to sell the PS5 Pro on, they don't have much.
Dude I hear you, but that's the target audience of the PS5 Pro. I've been on the record as saying most of pixel counting and frame rate analysis goes unnoticed by the vast majority of gamers today (especially on consoles). They simply don't see it and don't care. And the differences with most hybrid RT implementations is subtle at best to the average gamer and requires a trained eye to point it out to them (I'm speaking from experience). That said, to the graphics enthusiasts and the DF crowd, the enhancements that the Pro can bring should be noticeable and meaningful. As someone who has played Returnal on PC maxed out and platinumed the PS5 version, there is a tangible difference in IQ vs the PS5.

SHA

Ok, then describe a restriction to something other than visuals that has held back games?
Pov, over the shoulder view is the easiest, the least risky, doesn't mean it's bad, you saw Alan Wake 2 with limited pov, you get the point, they aren't created equal, then you have back camera with wider pov like ff 15, there's nothing new and ground breaking here, devs have figured out these types long time ago, then fp pov.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

I don't feel it is needed either, the only games that seems to be technically limited like FFVII Rebirth recently... And it is not a hardware problem but an engine problem.

When you see games like HFW, God of WAR R, GT7, Forza Horizon, RE4R... Yeah those are true wonders running perfectly on PS5... So no that console (neither the XSX) seems to be limited at all yet.

But yeah it's like iPhone Pros... 99.99% of sales are for 19yo ladies who will just use those to check instagram and TikTok anyways...

I might get one eventually (not on day one, really feels useless now) and end up playing Castlevania Collection on it.

Pimpbaa

3rd party support is probably going to be as half assed as it was on the ps4 pro. Definite gonna wait to see how that turns out. I hope I’m wrong and every dev at least supports PSSR.

Gojiira

People sure are propping up GTA VI as the killer app for PS5 Pro. I'm looking forward to the complaints that the weaker base PS5 is holding back the PS5 Pro version in some way.
See what I mean? But the Series S wont be holding ALL of them back?? Such a joke…

Boss Mog

We haven't seen any games running on the PS5 Pro and so we don't even know what the gains will be yet but you have some clown quoting "people" who say it's unneeded. The fact that he says those "people" aren't using the full potential of the PS5 as it stands leads me to believe it's some shitty indie dev, and so of course, to those guys, a PS5 Pro is pointless; most of their shitty games could run on a PS3. Most of them only care about promoting "the message" anyway.

If the PS5 Pro allows a game like FF16 to run at a solid 60fps in its performance mode, then it'll prove that it was valid to have one.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Then explain how Cyberpunk 2077 is available to purchase on Xbox One and PS4 (2012 era GPU/CPU) and yet simultaneously one of the most impressive looking games even at this point with the most advanced lighting system of any game on the market (Path-tracing on capable PC hardware).
They prioritised high performance PC’s first and everything else suffered, which is why other devs normally take the other path normally.

All the devs should have unlocked frame rate and DRS mode.

So that upcoming hardware will make use of it automatically. No need to optimise separately for new machine.

Then give customers option to buy $500, $700, $1000 boxes, whatever they like. Faster CPU even.

I think this will be ideal situation. For current gen, PS5 pro might not be as useful, probably.

gatti-man

The reason of the pro is more resolution and more frames. This isn’t hard to understand. These are the same people that cry about high end PC hardware

onQ123

The big picture that people seem to ignore is that there is a lot of compute leftover for Ray-Tracing if a PS5 & PS5 Pro game is running at the same resolution & framerate.

This could lead to a bigger visual difference than PS4 to PS4 Pro easily

It probably isn't as needed as the PS4 Pro & Xbox One X but there's still good reasons for it to exist. The primary reason is to provide more performance modes that have good image quality and graphical fidelity (and to further improve 30fps/quality modes). Another reason is to improve ray-tracing fidelity which is quite rudimentary in these consoles. And a final reason is to introduce PSSR into Playstation hardware. By introducing it now it might help them to build and refine the technology over the next four years so that it can be much more mature technology for the PS6.
It's much more needed. When PS4 Pro was released PS4 games were running at native 1080p with decent image quality. I bought a Pro to get slighty better framerate in a few games, not run at higher resolution my already good looking games.

Now games are still 1080p with awful image quality (albeit running at 60fps for the most part). PS5 Pro is going to improve exactly what we want this time, fidelity and IQ.

Geruda065

Most of my friends ignored PS4 Pro and that was huge upgrade to 4k. They just did not see it enough of a jump to buy a new console. Good luck selling them more ray tracing.

Crayon

It's much more needed. When PS4 Pro was released PS4 games were running at native 1080p with decent image quality. I bought a Pro to get slighty better framerate in a few games, not run at higher resolution my already good looking games.

Now games are still 1080p with awful image quality (albeit running at 60fps for the most part). PS5 Pro is going to improve exactly what we want this time, fidelity and IQ.

This is true. Most PS4 games I was playing around then were 1080p native and ran at a reliable 30fps. Now, the pro is not yet announced but we are starting to see high profile games either including performance modes with low resolutions or stuck at 30fps. It's not an epidemic level or anything, but it's happening.

kyussman

Given the games released this gen and ones on the way,I can't imagine why anyone who has a PS5 would entertain one of these.

Given the specs of the PS5 Pro being only a 40% increase in real world GPU compute and pretty much the same CPU, it almost feels like that’s precisely the point.

I don’t think it’s supposed to be a big mid-gen upgrade. The start of this gen was so slow due to cross-gen, COVID and the semiconductor shortages, and Sony probably got wind of MS not planning any mid-refresh, and so Sony decided to instead focus the PS5 Pro around being a more subtle upgrade, not focusing on raw hardware performance, but instead enabling more modern technologies like AI compute and advnces RT as a test-bed for the PS6.

If you take this generation as a case study, unlike previous gens, game budgets are so large, development times so long and multiplatform development so complex (due to MS’s fragmentation of the console market with their Series S tard pack) that devs no long have the internal core tech resources to considerably advance their internal game engine tech to take full advantage of all the advanced hardware features that came with the launch of the base consoles. Things like geometry shaders, on the fly data streaming of stuff like geometry etc (enabled by the massive jump in mass storage and i/O performance) have mostly gone massively underutilised.

By now, every major AAA dev should have had their own micropolygon redndering solution (a la Nanite) baked into their own proprietary game engines, and even those using UE should have optimised their games to leverage the ready-made Nanite technology pre-rolled by Epic in the middleware engine. None of that has happened.

Instead, games are still stuck using mostly last-gen rendering tech and so it’s no surprise gamers are disappointed by the lack of meaningful upgrade in the latest AAA sequels of last-gen games, e.g. Spiderman 2.

Sony launching a PS5 Pro that doesn’t provide a huge delta in performance from the base console is actually a really smart strategic decision. It means devs can’t rely on raw compute alone to justify the Pro version of their games as the defacto way to play their titles. It keeps the base console relevant, meaning owners of those consoles aren’t completely left behind with borderline unplayable ports (e.g. Control on the PS4). And it lets those devs looking to test out the latest and greatest rendering tech like AI SS and advanced RT flex their muscles; which also benefits high end PC gamers because their $3000 GPUs now see higher more complete feature utilisation in the latest games.

I was completely against the idea of another Pro. But seeing the meagre specs of the PS5 Pro i’m actually more positive now that it will have a much more positive impact on the market than the PS4 Pro did. It’s essentially just a PS5 but with some additional GPU features. That’s a good thing and I think it’s intentional.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don't see a need to feel upset over PS5 Pro console developers, who probably have hands on experience with the PS5 Pro dev kit and know way more than everyone here, saying that they don't see the point of PS5 Pro.

Allandor

Btw, don't forget, with such long development cycles developers should start now to create games releasing on the next generation... This is so absurd.

Or we just get another generation that is like the current where games just look a bit better. Or we get AI generated games in the near future ;)

SkylineRKR

I didn't see anyone complain about Returnal's graphics until DF told them it was 1080p. Based on specs, the PS5 Pro could do the game at 1440p, maybe that 1700p range that was common on PS4 Pro. So I think it's reasonable to say that going from one sub-native resolution to another sub-native resolution is kind of pointless, especially since even a $1600 GPU leans heavily on sub-native.

The best example was when Tony Hawk next-gen patch came out. PS5 was wrongly being billed 1080p in 120hz mode, and people went blabbering about how shitty the game looked on PS5 in 120hz while in reality it was the same as XSX at 1440p. Most people absolutely don't know what the fuck they are on about and I seriously wonder if they even enjoy a game.

Thing is Returnal legit looks and plays excellent and throws around millions of particles. But then DF comes in, and deduces its internal 1080p and people go ham over it. Suddenly the PS5 is a poor console. I just don't get it. A few of the most boring games this gen for me were Horizon 2, Rift Apart and Callisto Protocol. Probably the best looking PS5 games out there. Returnal, in 1080p, is probably my number one PS5 exclusive.

Then i read cross-gen is holding development back. All the while Horizon 2 is perhaps the best looking PS5 game and FFVII Rebirth despite being next-gen only looks worse than Remake in quite some parts. Is it a third party issue? Well, Spider Man 2 doesn't look like a quantum leap over the first game either.

Can Sony just make some fucking sick first party games already. Can't believe God of War, Horizon and Spiderman are like the only actual games we got so far.

We have a lot more UE5 games coming in the back half of this gen, so far most of them have had issues with low native resolutions that have negatively impacted image quality, if that's ok with you that's fine you don't need to buy one but for those of us that would like something better we have the option which is great.

Can Sony just make some fucking sick first party games already. Can't believe God of War, Horizon and Spiderman are like the only actual games we got so far.
They're taking the year off from releasing big established IP and this will be a third party year. At best you will have some Japanese/Korean devs that will release fun exclusive stuff. Look forward to Stellar Blade next.

If you're one of the types who don't count Console/PC exclusive as an exclusive, then look forward to whatever Japanese devs release broken PC ports to count as another console exclusive.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Btw, don't forget, with such long development cycles developers should start now to create games releasing on the next generation... This is so absurd.

Or we just get another generation that is like the current where games just look a bit better. Or we get AI generated games in the near future ;)
By the end they released a game which pushes the potential of PS5 Pro, the PS6 would have been released.

Only thing this mid generation pro "upgrades" do is make me want to reconsider ever buying a launch Sony console ever again since they've now proved multiple times that the early adopters get shafted as they pay premium at launch , get the crappy defective first version hardware, wait two years for some games to start appearing, then have to suffer the rest of the generation using dated hardware knowing they are not playing the best version of their games... Or pay twice like a sucker for similar hardware. Sony, Just ride the console till it's ready to retire and then change generations where it's really necessary. Trying to nickle and dime your users into buying two consoles per generation, that's not gonna cut it...

Last edited:
And it doesn't have to be....

it would be a magic bullet, and a simple fact, for that every game that exists on the current PS5, will perform and or look better on the PS5 Pro in some shape or form.

And that is all it needs to be. Anyone that is saying they can't see the sense or point for something that would cost like $100-$150 more than a base model and that offers that... is either just flat-out lying at best, or a hypocrite at worst.

Why? well, its because that's what CPU and GPU manufacturers have been doing, every single fucking year, for the last... well forever.
And that’s fine if it’s a 500$ machine … not a 6-700 one

Top Bottom