• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro developer verdict: ‘I didn’t meet a single person that understood the point of it’

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I'm pretty sure he meant "It's finally time we got a DLSS equivalent on console". Then you would have replied with "dur tuh dur....FSR on console is a DLSS equivalent."
Nah. We’re talking about competitors. There’s no choice between DLSS and FSR on consoles so there’s no competition.

In the console space, FSR is PSSR’s competitor. In the PC space, it’s XeSS and FSR.

sendit

Nah. We’re talking about competitors. There’s no choice between DLSS and FSR on consoles so there’s no competition.

In the console space, FSR is PSSR’s competitor. In the PC space, it’s XeSS and FSR.
FSR has no AI component to how it upscales the input. PSSR will be the XeSS/DLSS equivalent on the PS5 Pro.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Just yesterday pundits were bitching and moaning about 720p resolution, today they don't know why PS5 Pro exists.

Also not sure why people think PSSR doesn't stand a chance to be as good or better than DLSS. Sony has been in the image upscaling business for a while now, investing heavy R&D in this space. Not to mention for the billionth time we are talking about a closed platform that can be heavily optimized and not have to worry about widely varying configurations.

farmerboy

Just yesterday pundits were bitching and moaning about 720p resolution, today they don't know why PS5 Pro exists.

Also not sure why people think PSSR doesn't stand a chance to be as good or better than DLSS. Sony has been in the image upscaling business for a while now, investing heavy R&D in this space. Not to mention for the billionth time we are talking about a closed platform that can be heavily optimized and not have to worry about widely varying configurations.

Thats right. Their image quality and upscaling on tvs have been industry leading for some time. Its not that much of a stretch to parlay that know how, coupled with AI improvements into the console space.

skit_data

I'm thinking part of the justification of releasing the Pro from Sonys viewpoint might be to make sure developers become accustomed to implementing this new PSSR stuff effectively by PS6s launch. By the sounds of it PSSR is gonna be a core aspect of PS6 so there might be advantages in getting it tested in practice in order to maximize its potential come PS6.

Last edited:

onQ123

Let's be honest no one is going to naturally sit around asking what's the point of a more powerful video game console this is a full on campaign from the same people who was claiming victory when Series X specs was announced but now they don't understand why anyone would want a more powerful console 😂

I think it's fair that people are being skeptical at this point in time. Firstly, we have seen zero images (let alone videos) of PSSR in action. Second, the two biggest DLSS competitors in the upscaling space (ie FSR and XeSS) are still quite a way behind with regard to image quality (and performance to a lesser extent), despite being active in the field for some time. The anemic information we have at hand for PSSR is simply not enough to make any judgement calls whatsoever.

Topher

Gold Member

PSSR is probably the most exciting aspect of PS5 Pro, imo. I'm not going to get my hopes up that it will surpass DLSS3, but I'm optimistic based on my assumption that Sony is taking what AMD has already done with FSR and are optimizing it specifically for PS5 Pro. Don't see any reason for anyone to downplay that.

dano1

A Sheep
It's pointless to the devs.

They haven't yet squeezed the juice out of the PS5. By the time PS4 Pro came along they had the OG PS4 on the ropes in terms of performance they could extract from the machine. Hence the need for the PS4 Pro.
You could say the same thing about PCs but they have new hardware constantly. Developers that push the hardware will love the extra power!

Noxxera

The Pro console is obviously here to squeeze money out of the retarded folks that actually want a pro console even if it's marginally better then default PS5 at best. I've seen looooooads of people that wanna buy the Pro for GTA 6 and they probably think it will push the game 60fps then too.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I really don’t know what’s so contradictory about the statement. It all depends on the devs you talk to, I presume.
Except for a bunch of the largest and best-budgeted studios, which devs have even scratched the surface of what a base PS5 can do?
In their hands, a Pro merely means adding a 4K120 / 6k60 option like it happened with Ori 2, or a 8K mode like with The Tourist on Series X. Doesn’t really change that type of game, does it? Yeah, options are nice, but I’m sure there’s times the devs themselves would be happier to try and squeeze a given hardware than take the time to optimize for different SKUs.

A Pro model makes the most sense if you’re already pushing base hardware, and even then, compromises will still have to be made on the Pro.
I promise you we’ll still have many, many people shaking their heads and cussing Squeenix when the DF videos come out and the games still haven’t achieved the unachievable graphics/performance golden ratio the tech whores demand.

Sybrix

GTAVI is going to sell a lot of consoles

I’m a PC gamer, but I’ll get a ps5 when GTAVI comes out & if pro is out I’ll get that.

If your a PC gamer, you not going to get an Xbox, you already have access to that library.

PlayStation offers games PC gamers can’t play yet, it’s an added bonus ontop
of playing GTAVI

Top Bottom