• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: last day to grab R-Type Delta and R-Types from US PSN (PS One Classics)

Teknoman

Is R-Type Delta good though? Compared to other games in the series I mean. The only game I still own is R-type Final.

Teknoman

It's phenomenal. Arguably the best in the series.

Damn, in that case...i'd probably like to own a physical version of that...especially with Sony taking its sweet time with the PS1 classics firmware update.

EDIT: Of course all the amazon listings for reasonable prices are disc only. Better jump on PSN and grab this I guess.

Goody

Well, went ahead and picked these up. Nothing makes me buy something like telling me it's getting delisted. Good thing I really love R-Type though. I haven't played many of them, but I played the heck out of R-Type DX. Now I just need my PS3 to be in working order and I can have myself a nice R-Type marathon session.

Tizoc

Pretty sure I already got these some months ago, guess they kept them on PSN a little longer huh?

This is so fucking depressing.

Anyone on the fence opting for a physical copy, just flippin' get both. It is only six bucks, and you might be kicking yourself down the road for allowing the last chance to grab the portable versions pass you by. Besides, I like to think Irem is getting at least some of these digital profits, I would buy it again if I could.

^
grumpy

I was wondering that too. I saw them about an hour ago in the PS3>PSOne section, but I wasn't sure if that was because I already own them.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Is R-Type Dimensions on XBLA safe?

I really wouldn't want to miss it if it is getting delisted, I was kinda waiting for it to go on sale all this time but I don't know if it ever has.

Never played any of them. Sell me on it, GAF! Which one is better and why?

R Type Delta is one of the best shmups for the PS1. Hell, maybe even one of the best I have played anywhere. It is very much a "stop and go" kind of shooter. Not a bullet hell affair where you can just continue where you died. Knowledge of weapons are absolutely necessary and should be changed depending on the situation.

It also has some very cool levels. Stage 2 has this amazing underwater effect that happens when you submerge your craft. It sounds great. Everything is just oozing with eyecandy and interesting design that still looks good today imo.

Rtypes is just the first 2 R type arcade games packaged together in a compilation. If you want to go retro I would get that. But Delta is a much nicer game for today.

Is R-Type Dimensions on XBLA safe?

I really wouldn't want to miss it if it is getting delisted, I was kinda waiting for it to go on sale all this time but I don't know if it ever has.

It's been on sale multiple times. 2 months ago they were giving the game away with The Maw and a free month of Live. At the moment the game's still up for 1200 MS Points.

Wait, you mean there's still time?! (wish I was at home)

Isn't there a way on PSN to buy things from the web similar to going to XBOX.com?

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Strange, I just hopped onto the store via my PSP to check and couldn't find any of the games. kassatsu, are you looking via a PS3 or Media Go?

Anyway R-Type Dimensions, Spelunker HD and the other Tozai-licensed games are safe for now. It's unknown how Irem's collapse will eventually affect them, but I think if they're forced to delist they'll at least make some kind of official announcement beforehand since that would affect over half their catalogue.

...That sounds like the sort of thing a games journalist might try to dig up some information on, come to think of it.

Is R-Type Delta good though? Compared to other games in the series I mean. The only game I still own is R-type Final.

Awesome. Probably the best in the series. If only the graphics were better. I'd love to see a modern remake of this.

My only problem was the difficulty since it's old-school hard. There's a cheat code but I think it's impossible to input it on the PSP, which is the only bad thing.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Tempted to grab R-Types, but I'm guessing it wouldn't bother making the cut of supported PSone games on Vita if Irem is closing shop.

The original game is the only one I ever realy liked.

Brera

Banned
I'm a pissed off. I bought Delta with a HK account and cant remember which email I used or the password so it's lost forever :(

Teknoman

Yup, you guys were right about Delta. Got stuck at stage 2, but still, great stuff. I cant believe I missed this back in the day.

Also Sony needs to forget all this selective nonsense, and just work on making Vita fully compatible with all classics so it can be a true PSP successor. Also get Einhander outside of Japan.

Yeah, I saw these on the store (PS3) earlier, but they're definitely gone now. Some might get lucky with MediaGo, as they seem to be different departments just like the PSP and Vita stores are different, so the update might be staggered. I would check, but my MediaGo isn't working right now.

Tempted to grab R-Types, but I'm guessing it wouldn't bother making the cut of supported PSone games on Vita if Irem is closing shop.

The original game is the only one I ever realy liked.

I was wondering about that, but at least it would be up to Sony to update instead of the publisher, which might be a good thing or a bad thing. If they are leaving this up to the publishers, that is a whole other mess of compatibility problems we're in for.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
It's been on sale multiple times. 2 months ago they were giving the game away with The Maw and a free month of Live.

The giveaway was only valid for Silver members. The only other sale I could find was a 33% discount in August 2009, it's always been full price otherwise.

Jazzem

Mini bump; I'm so glad I bought R-Type Delta :D I think I prefer R-Type 3 slightly but this is still fantastic, easily one of the best shooters I've played. Thinking about it, it doesn't necessarily do anything that groundbreaking or new, it's just executed so masterfully. This is a case of a 32-bit game aging very well (aside from the frame rate on the ship select, yeesh!), the presentation couldn't be better.

Mind you, I suck at it; it's going to be a struggle to beat it. At least it gives you more continues the more you play...if I'm not careful though I burn through some on the second half of the second level <_<

It is too bad we couldn't get a port on the 3DS. The game uses background/foreground so well, things like that giant blue snake weaving in and out in front of you and destroying buildings would be so cool in 3D.

Jazzem

It is too bad we couldn't get a port on the 3DS. The game uses background/foreground so well, things like that giant blue snake weaving in and out in front of you and destroying buildings would be so cool in 3D.

Dammit, now I'm going to ponder how good that would have been every time I get to that part :p...;_;

R-Type Delta is so damn good! I've been playing it and some of my other PS1 games on my PS3 lately.

But I'll be god damned if it isn't kicking my arse. It was never easy, but I could finish this pretty much every time at my peak. Ever get the impression that your younger self was much better at games? Damn, makes me feel old.

It is criminal that this game has been delisted.

Top Bottom