• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Zone of the Enders HD patch out in Europe. [Up: Now up in the US]

I started a new save this morning after the update was auto-downloaded at the weekend (I'm in Europe) and I never saw the Hexadrive logo (if it makes a difference, my copy was boxed).

Ignore that. I got it when I booted up the game again.

That said, is it just me or has anyone noticed the introduction for the game got a little touch up too? Or am I just imagining things?

Jubern

PSN games are always 1.0 versions, right?

For this game more than any other, they should really find a way to replace the current release with the patched one. The gap is way too significant but the patch size can be big for some people.

PSN games are always 1.0 versions, right?

For this game more than any other, they should really find a way to replace the current release with the patched one. The gap is way too significant but the patch size can be big for some people.

Not always, it's a mixed bag. Some games aren't patched at all, some games have half the patches, some games are fully patched. They really should work this stuff out and just make the latest version available when you download.

RangerBAD

Ignore that. I got it when I booted up the game again.

That said, is it just me or has anyone noticed the introduction for the game got a little touch up too? Or am I just imagining things?

Kojima was pretty pissed about how it turned out, so I wouldn't be surprise if he had Hexadrive do some other nice things.

Dariso

Neo Member
Not always, it's a mixed bag. Some games aren't patched at all, some games have half the patches, some games are fully patched. They really should work this stuff out and just make the latest version available when you download.

Yeah the way they handle this sucks. But weird that they uploaded the patch only for the EU PSN version...

rvy

Banned
Don't forget Blue Point. They're every bit as good if not better at delivering excellent HD collections.

I must be the only person that finds the MGS HD Collection an unpolished game. 60fps? Not all the time. Debugging? Not nearly as good as the original games.
Out of all 3 games, PW is the only HD port that retains the quality of the original and improves on it. And that wasn't developed by Blue Point.

I don't know why everybody puts them on a pedestal, I guess the Silent Hill collection really scared people into considering how horrible these things can turn out.

So first time dabbling in this series. Man is the first game all sorts of dull. Can I just skip to 2 after reading a plot summary?

I feel like playing a bad ace combat game with a mech.

Flying this thing underground tunnels is awful. And the protag is soo annoying.

So first time dabbling in this series. Man is the first game all sorts of dull. Can I just skip to 2 after reading a plot summary?

Skip the first one. Its horrible.

Suffer through it so you can appreciate the 2nd one more.

I had more fun with it when I put priority on trying to save as many people as I could instead of focusing on the story/scenarios

Just imagine that you are really in a colony and you have to try and save everyone like in Gundam or Macross

Are you a real hero?

Both games have added bugs, both games have framerate drops.

Still playable and enjoyable, but if you want a perfect game with no technical issues, definitely look elsewhere.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I must be the only person that finds the MGS HD Collection an unpolished game. 60fps? Not all the time. Debugging? Not nearly as good as the original games
Both MGS2 and 3 HD are better than PS2 originals in almost every way. Rain particles are reduced on MS2, but that was about it. Other than the obvious resolution, framerate was also better. Let's not forget MGS3 was running at 30FPS, with lots of slowdowns, on PS2, and MGS2 had plenty of slowdowns too, while HD remake has much less.

Suffer through it so you can appreciate the 2nd one more.

I had more fun with it when I put priority on trying to save as many people as I could instead of focusing on the story/scenarios

Just imagine that you are really in a colony and you have to try and save everyone like in Gundam or Macross

Are you a real hero?

Still playable and enjoyable, but if you want a perfect game with no technical issues, definitely look elsewhere.

It was cool for like 2 times lol. Still not sure why I keep on getting C.

How do you prevent environmental damage?

Both MGS2 and 3 HD are better than PS2 originals in almost every way. Rain particles are reduced on MS2, but that was about it. Other than the obvious resolution, framerate was also better. Let's not forget MGS3 was running at 30FPS, with lots of slowdowns, on PS2, and MGS2 had plenty of slowdowns too, while HD remake has much less.

Are people really complaining about framerate drops in MGS3 when, on average, the game is running at a much higher framerate than the original version? Is this a serious discussion?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Are people really complaining about framerate drops in MGS3 when, on average, the game is running at a much higher framerate than the original version? Is this a serious discussion?
Yeah, that's downright silly. MGS3 ran very inconsistently on real hardware and plays much more smoothly on PS3 and 360.

It should also be noted that the Vita version of MGS3 also performs much better than the PS2 original by delivering a locked 30 fps.

When it's a HD update of a PS2 game, people have the right to expect a consistent framerate, and not to have any bugs introduced that weren't there previously.

rvy

Banned

Putting a 10 year old game running at 60fps on much superior hardware isn't impressive to me, it especially isn't impressive when the framerate drops during the night when you hit Groznyj Grad and it's raining. Same goes for MGS 2, it dips during the Hold sections of the Tanker.

So, yeah, I'm really complaining that they can't lock the framerate of two 10 year old games. I'm complaining that they added bugs, I'm complaining that they removed sea lice from MGS 2 during the Fortune intro. I'm complaining particle effects are not nearly as impressive. I'm complaining that they removed features instead of introducing more, such as a demo theater for MGS 2.

Call me entitled for spending my money on products that I expect to be as polished, if not more, than their previous releases.

so think i will beat ZOE1 after all. Think ill just do it on Easy though. There really is no reason to sweep clean maps right, or is level that big of a deal?

Whats the pros of doing the save the civilians sidemission things?

Grisby

Damn, ZOE 2 is leagues better than the first in pretty much every area. It's like the game got a massive budget approval for the sequel. Bout an hour and change into the game and I'm having a great time.

I beat the first in about 4 hours. Those FMV scenes have not aged well. Glad I finished it as I do have some world background now. I wish I would have stuck with the series in the PS2 days.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Putting a 10 year old game running at 60fps on much superior hardware isn't impressive to me, it especially isn't impressive when the framerate drops during the night when you hit Groznyj Grad and it's raining. Same goes for MGS 2, it dips during the Hold sections of the Tanker.

So, yeah, I'm really complaining that they can't lock the framerate of two 10 year old games. I'm complaining that they added bugs, I'm complaining that they removed sea lice from MGS 2 during the Fortune intro. I'm complaining particle effects are not nearly as impressive. I'm complaining that they removed features instead of introducing more, such as a demo theater for MGS 2.

Call me entitled for spending my money on products that I expect to be as polished, if not more, than their previous releases.

Eh, I hear you. Metroid Prime Trilogy, for example, had some similar discrepancies that lead me to stick with the GC versions of the first two games. Though most people disagree with me on that one.

MechaX

Eh, I hear you. Metroid Prime Trilogy, for example, had some similar discrepancies that lead me to stick with the GC versions of the first two games. Though most people disagree with me on that one.

The only discrepancies I'm aware of are the differences between NTSC Prime 1/2 and PAL Prime 1/2 (where the only big differences come in Prime 1), in which the trilogy wholesale adopted the PAL versions.

That is assuming that the HD process is as simple as putting a game through an HD grinder on a super-powered PC/Dev-Kit, which does not really seem to be the case. This is increasingly exacerbated by the fact that there does not really seem to be much of a profitable demand for HD remasters. If there was, we would be seeing more in-house work as opposed to even the biggest publishers outsourcing HD collections to outside teams.

Expecting something far beyond the original is understandable, but just not the reality of what we're going to to get outside of some exceptions to the norm. ZOE2 HD post-patch is probably one of these exceptions (seems like it only really happened because High Voltage screwed the pooch so badly that it got Kojima's attention, and even then, it probably wasn't even worth it to fix ZOE1 as well when considering ZOE1 is a goddamn tech demo in comparison to ZOE2).

Menaged

My opinion alone, of course, but for me, playing MGS3 at 60 FPS alone was worth the price of admission.
I guess I just don't remember well, or just don't care as much as you do, since I deeply enjoyed both remasters, and didn't notice things like particle effects (heck, I don't remember any problem with the Furtone scene, and I know what you're refereing to).

And when thinking about "10 year old games"... I completly understand where you're coming from, but I can sorta understand why everything is not perfect. The PS2 was a weird system, as is the PS3, and I guess it's not that easy to get these hardware-taxing games at HD with the FPS bump.

Honesty, If can't make a near perfect remaster of an old game, they shouldn't put out a remaster at all.

I find it insulting. It's sad that the fans bought it.

man is ZOE1 dull. The mission designs are terrible.... collect a thon to progress is weirdly... weird.

beat the 2nd boss that i needed decoys... think i should be able to finish this tonight and hopefully start on 2.

been mostly just mashing square or doing dash stabs. Jehuty really does need an upgrade on range attacks... all these are garbage. well some of the sub weapons are crazy op, most are kinda useless.

Jehuty is probably the coolest original game ip mecha ever though. Is there some story codecs stuff i'm missing? I expected a bit more out of kojima games lol. Why do i see jupiter in the sky? Why am i going to mars? Who am i even fighting?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The only discrepancies I'm aware of are the differences between NTSC Prime 1/2 and PAL Prime 1/2 (where the only big differences come in Prime 1), in which the trilogy wholesale adopted the PAL versions.

They removed some visual effects from MP1 and dicked around with the difficulty in MP2. It's minor stuff, but if you're used to the originals, that sort of thing is annoying.

Magnus

Just got rid of my 360 copy for a Ps3 one. Patch downloaded.

This shit plays like a dream. Clean, crisp, buttery smooth. Better than the ps2 original.

Apath

man is ZOE1 dull. The mission designs are terrible.... collect a thon to progress is weirdly... weird.

beat the 2nd boss that i needed decoys... think i should be able to finish this tonight and hopefully start on 2.

been mostly just mashing square or doing dash stabs. Jehuty really does need an upgrade on range attacks... all these are garbage. well some of the sub weapons are crazy op, most are kinda useless.

Jehuty is probably the coolest original game ip mecha ever though. Is there some story codecs stuff i'm missing? I expected a bit more out of kojima games lol. Why do i see jupiter in the sky? Why am i going to mars? Who am i even fighting?
All of your questions are literally answered in the cut scenes. That 2nd boss is pretty much the beginning of the end, so you should be able to finish in less than two hours.

I really enjoyed my multiple play throughs of ZOE1. I went for Platinum, and it was a real challenge getting an A rank in every rescue mission. Maybe playing on easy diminishes the amount of enjoyment you can have?

Skip 1 if you want to. I did it for completion sake and totally regretted it. The backtracking during a few parts was maddening. The only thing I found to be interesting was one of the ending cinemas and a couple bosses. Skip that shit and play 2.

Edit: might as well finish it if you are as far as you said. Ending was alright from a dramatic standpoint. Overall pretty mediocre game though.

Platinumed ZOE1, god DAMN that game is short. Took me less than 4 hours I think and I didn't skip cutscenes.

Fuck the CG cutscenes are god damn ugly tho :lol.

wait ZOE1 is that short? It's like literally an hour long game stretched out to a few hours... 2 better be insanely better than this lol. gameranking averages aren't that different lol.

hope my mind gets blown. have never seen any gameplay footage of ZOE 1 or 2 before so... yeah.

haven't been paying attention to any of the cutscenes if these even count.... just zoning out spinning the camera around. cockpit ui is pretty cool.

Magnus

wait ZOE1 is that short? It's like literally an hour long game stretched out to a few hours... 2 better be insanely better than this lol. gameranking averages aren't that different lol.

hope my mind gets blown. have never seen any gameplay footage of ZOE 1 or 2 before so... yeah.

haven't been paying attention to any of the cutscenes if these even count.... just zoning out spinning the camera around. cockpit ui is pretty cool.

2 may as well belong to a different series. It's such a better product in every respect.

The original 2nd Runner Ps2 game had a 5min recap vid of ZOE1. Haven't checked to see if that's available here but I assume it is. Just watch that instead of playing. For real.

No Love

Banned

ZOE 2 is one of the best action mech games ever made, if not the best. Everything about it is A+. If ZOE 2 had come out first... ZOE would be a huge franchise. ZOE 2 is insanely amazing.

Korezo

Is the game 1080p? Only HD collection I played was the first Gow collection that included 1&2 and vowed I will never buy a HD collection game again because it was just 720p with the old nasty cut scenes unchanged, these games feel like cheap HD upgrades which is sad because they are ps2 games...

Edit: nvm booted ps store and saw 720p in discription.. Disgraceful

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Yes! I was expecting this next week when it re-launched in Japan. Will download now and start ZOE2, waiting for the patch was the only reason I hadn't started it.

I'm noticing a pattern here: Konami HD collection released for PS360, 360 version is better. Patch released only for PS3 and now that one is better.

Not very good signals for either group of customers tbh.

Top Bottom