• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Zone of the Enders HD patch out in Europe. [Up: Now up in the US]

Dariso

Neo Member
So did anyone with the psn version was able to download the patch? Just started the game and there isn't any patch to download...

Magnus

Had no idea this was happening so soon! So it's out now? And the PS3 version is now the definitive port? Shit, I'll have to swap this 360 version for it then.

Eusis

Had no idea this was happening so soon! So it's out now? And the PS3 version is now the definitive port? Shit, I'll have to swap this 360 version for it then.
I imagine 360's still best for ZoE1, but not many care THAT much about that and it's not as embarrassingly far behind as ZoE2 used to be anyway (well, I'd say it's more just "behind" while both are embarrassingly behind PS2, but that's beside the point.)

I need to check my time for ZoE2 again but it was around 4 hours, though admittedly I was playing on Easy as Normal pounded the crap out of me. I think what I said is still true though, ZoE2's a denser experience, whereas ZoE1 was kind of jut fetch quests until you beat the game.

Well, if you played on easy that's a different matter. ZoE2 is definitely longer, I've played them on PS2 and on PS3, always on normal, and ZoE1 always took me around 4 hours while ZoE2 was around 7. My complete save file of the HD version says 7:48h for 2 while it's just shy of 4 hours for ZoE1.

Where are people getting that ZoE1 runs better on 360? I can't find a single comparison on the net for the first game. I really doubt there's a significant difference.

pottuvoi

Banned
Where are people getting that ZoE1 runs better on 360? I can't find a single comparison on the net for the first game. I really doubt there's a significant difference.
At least on ps3 the fire and smoke effects drop framerate quite significantly, I would expect x360 handle those better.

Ein Bear

Awesome news to hear that this patch has done some good, have just ordered a copy of the game!

Now if Konami could get HexaDrive to work on fixing the Silent Hill Collection too, we'll be sorted.

rvy

Banned
If HexaDrive fixed the first game, I'd be down for this. Otherwise it's a nice way for people to play The 2nd Runner for the first time.

JoeFenix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSDb6hAeGHA

Comparison video before patch and after patch.

Looks really really solid, obviously you can't see 60 fps on youtube but look at the insane slowdown and blur in the pre patch version, it's all fixed on the patched version.

Looks like they've also added depth of field back in cutscenes and the particles are cleaned up and sharper. Image quality is way nicer, this looks incredible!

Maybe the patch was implemented into the download version. Anyone actually started up the game to see if the Hexadrive logo appears?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
LOLOLOL high voltage software should stick to making shovelware fps. Thank you hexadrive.

Jinroh

I don't understand, did they change Jehuty's color? Which one is faithful to the original one?

HwAAMT.png

edit: Actually it looks like the one on the left is missing lightning/shadow effects... Does the new version looks worse than the old one?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't understand, did they change Jehuty's color? Which one is faithful to the original one?

HwAAMT.png

edit: Actually it looks like the one on the left is missing lightning/shadow effects... Does the new version looks worse than the old one?
The new version LOOKS better for sure (in addition to running smoother).

Erigu

I just compared with a video of the same cutscene in the PlayStation 2 version, and the patched version (i.e. the one on the right, in your post) has the exact same colors / lighting (?) as the original. Not sure why it was different before the patch.

EDIT: Checked again with the PlayStation 2 Special Edition, just to be sure. The pre-patch HD Edition is the only version with different colors and/or lighting in that cutscene.

The colour difference might be intentional, no? They released Jehuty figures and models specifically named Jehuty, Naked Jehuty and Jehuty HD. Then again I think maybe Jehuty HD was actually based on 2nd Runner colours whilst the non-HD models were ZOE1 schemes.

JoeFenix

The colour difference might be intentional, no? They released Jehuty figures and models specifically named Jehuty, Naked Jehuty and Jehuty HD. Then again I think maybe Jehuty HD was actually based on 2nd Runner colours whilst the non-HD models were ZOE1 schemes.

The post patch version looks identical to the ps2 version, the different colored "lines" on Jehuty are meant to represent the health of the player so they appear different in the video because of that.

The Hexadrive version is faithful while the HVS version is doing god knows what to the colors and overall picture. It was a gigantic mess and the framerate was incredibly poor.

MechaX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSDb6hAeGHA

Comparison video before patch and after patch.

Looks really really solid, obviously you can't see 60 fps on youtube but look at the insane slowdown and blur in the pre patch version, it's all fixed on the patched version.

Looks like they've also added depth of field back in cutscenes and the particles are cleaned up and sharper. Image quality is way nicer, this looks incredible!

Oh man, I didn't even realize the Ardjet battle ran that badly before the patch.

The guy should upload a comparison video of the first Anubis fight if one really wants to see the difference between the two versions.

red731

The hexadrive logo is appearing in your game right?

I am from EU, bought the DD game yesterday and when I downloaded it and started it, patch 2.0 ~587something MB had begun to download.

I am playing ZoE1 and haven't tried ZoE2, but I don't see why it shouldn't be patched.

Dariso

Neo Member
I am from EU, bought the DD game yesterday and when I downloaded it and started it, patch 2.0 ~587something MB had begun to download.

I am playing ZoE1 and haven't tried ZoE2, but I don't see why it shouldn't be patched.

Yep that's the new patch. So i can confirm that there's no patch for the US DD version yet, only for physical copies it seems.

dark10x

Err, ZoE1 was not patched. Only ZoE2 received an update.

When you start ZoE2 you'll notice a HexaDrive logo which does not appear when you start ZoE1. The performance profile for ZoE1 is exactly the same as it was before the patch.

red731

Err, ZoE1 was not patched. Only ZoE2 received an update.

When you start ZoE2 you'll notice a HexaDrive logo which does not appear when you start ZoE1. The performance profile for ZoE1 is exactly the same as it was before the patch.

I know, I know that :)
First time ZoE player knowing where the patch is applied and what it mostly does, that is why I bought the game. Going through first game now. I know that patched ZoE2 has added HexaDrive logo there.

KageMaru

Just ordered my PS3 copy, hopefully it'll be here in a few days. I'm even more excited to play this now that the patch has been released. =D

Kuren

So I'm a hardcore ZOE fan and I have all versions of the PS2 version; ie Japanese collectors edition of 1 and 2, 2's special edition which was an improved and rebalanced ZOE2, etc etc...

I have both the 360 and PS3 version of ZOE HD, and both were disappointing. The PS3 version specially since that was the version I most wanted. The 360 version even then wasn't as responsive or smooth as the PS2 version. The PS3 patch by Hexadrive though is so awesome and now ZOE2 feels like an actual HD version! I'm glad Koji Pro went and commissioned this fixer upper for the fans. I can definitely recommend people to buy the ZOE HD collection now.

weird, I launch the game and I'm not getting the patch?

I have the digital version

It's not available for the DD version in the US it seems.
At least not yet, I think.

Quick question from me: Does the european HD collection include the special edition of ZOE 2nd Runner?
Edit: Nevermind. It's written on the back of the box.

dark10x

I must admit, after putting more time into ZOE2 I feel like I'm enjoying the game more than I ever did before.

The framerate is now much steadier overall than it was on PS2, there is no screen tearing, and your view of the action is massively improved. On PS2, the limited FOV and 4:3 aspect ratio combined with a relatively low resolution often made the game feel claustrophobic. With a wider aspect ratio, great image quality, and a faster framerate the game just feels so much more open. I feel as if I have better control over everything now as if I were previously playing the game through a foggy window.

After this patch I'd argue that this might just be one of the best HD releases to date simply because it solves many of the issues present in the original release. The gameplay is improved as a result of these changes. It's really fantastic.

I started a new save this morning after the update was auto-downloaded at the weekend (I'm in Europe) and I never saw the Hexadrive logo (if it makes a difference, my copy was boxed).

Top Bottom