• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Zone of the Enders HD patch out in Europe. [Up: Now up in the US]

KageMaru

Great, I had bought the 360 version specifically because it ran better. Thanks, Konami! I'm doubledipping only because I love ZoE2 so much.

Yup, same here. I just ordered the 360 version over the weekend, completely forgetting about this patch, and now I'm about to order the PS3 version since it's now the better version.

I was just going to chime in on that one.

The answer is NO. ZOE 1 appears to be untouched.

When you start ZOE 2 a "HexaDrive" logo appears when the game is launched while nothing extra shows up for ZOE 1.

The framerate in ZOE 1 is just as unstable as it was in the original release. It certainly runs much better than ZOE 2 used to but it's nowhere near as smooth as the original PS2 version. Particle effects result in regularly slowdown and general gameplay rarely holds steady. It also lacks the anti-aliasing added to the sequel.

I'm kind of surprised and disappointed. Not that I love the original game all that much but it would have been nice to have both games properly remastered instead of just ZOE 2. ZOE 2 is virtually flawless at this point but the original game is still in somewhat poor condition.

Ugh I see thanks for the info it's a bummer :( But oh well fixing the second was nice enough.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Someone needs to hire these guys to do this for the Jak and Daxter collection on PS3 and Vita. Those are even falsely marketed to be HD actually.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Someone needs to hire these guys to do this for the Jak and Daxter collection on PS3 and Vita. Those are even falsely marketed to be HD actually.
Heh, someone should definitely fix it. It's one of the worst collections yet.

That said, even HexaDrive doesn't have a perfect track record. They worked on Snake Eater 3D, after all, which is right on par with those Jak games in terms of performance (OK, it's actually even worse).

Of course, most everything else they've done has been spectacular. I'm still amazed that Okami HD ran at 1080p.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

That said, even HexaDrive doesn't have a perfect track record. They worked on Snake Eater 3D, after all, which is right on par with those Jak games in terms of performance (OK, it's actually even worse).

Of course, most everything else they've done has been spectacular. I'm still amazed that Okami HD ran at 1080p.

To be fair, they didn't have much to work with when it came to Snake Eater 3D.

dark10x

To be fair, they didn't have much to work with when it came to Snake Eater 3D.
Heh, true. The 3DS hardware isn't much faster than the PS2, really (slower in some ways and more advanced in others), so porting one of the most demanding PS2 games that was custom designed for that unique hardware was no small task I'm sure.

Excellent, I'm glad this has hit NA now too. ZOE1 was perfectly fine when I played it a month or two ago, but I decided to stop after the first 15 minutes of ZOE2 since the performance was pretty bad and I knew a patch was incoming. Looking forward to running through ZOE2 in the next few weeks. :)

SkylineRKR

I thought the performance of ZoE1 HD was very close to perfect as is tbh, but I don't really enjoy the game so I didn't play it all that much,

Its ZoE2 that ran like shit, and its perfect now. This is one of the best patches ever, as it REALLY delivers. ZoE2 HD is very much a 60fps game now. I'd go as far as saying that they should re-review this collection.

paolo11

Wait, forgive me but how well does ZoE 1 ran in ps3? Is it 60 fps? Does it run smooth? Does it slowdown too much?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Isn't the ps2 version run 60fps?
I can't remember how ZoE1 was running on PS2, but ZoE2 was 60, until something bigger stated happening on the screen... then it would slow down regularly and sometimes, during boss fights, massively. Cutscenes were also almost never hitting solid 60FPS on PS2.

This is so cool. It's like I get a whole new game today. The slowdown on the big battle in ZoE 2 with all the LEVs made me stop the game. Using the Vector Cannon turned it into a slideshow. Can't wait to sink my teeth into this. I played on "Easy" when I first tried to play it, but now I think I will go "Normal" and really test my mettle.

First of all, I need some kind of proof that the jak games on ps3 run awfully, cause there is no evidence otherwise. I have the collection and it is a clear step up from the ps2 versions. If your so blind as to say otherwise how can i believe you on this patch?

First of all, I need some kind of proof that the jak games on ps3 run awfully, cause there is no evidence otherwise. I have the collection and it is a clear step up from the ps2 versions. If your so blind as to say otherwise how can i believe you on this patch?

It could use some form of AA at the very least...

paolo11

ZoE1 is fine on both consoles, some drops but nothing major, ZoE2 was the problem that needed fixing, there's almost a generational leap between both games.

I see. So to clarify and I apologize for asking:

ZoE 1 ps3 = ZoE 1 360 = ZoE ps2 on terms of performance?

dark10x

We're talking about the Vita ports. Jak is great on ps3 (though missing some minor effects) but the Vita ports are truly abysmal.

I see. So to clarify and I apologize for asking:

ZoE 1 ps3 = ZoE 1 360 = ZoE ps2 on terms of performance?
Nope. Ps2 is smoother than the HD versions.

Peff

The PS3 version runs fine (it's not actually much of a step up other than the lack of tearing, though), but it is sub-HD, it doesn't have proper 16:9 and it's missing a couple of minor visual effects here and there.

The Vita version on the other hand... the bandwith and electricity spent on downloading the PSN mistake were more than it deserves, good grief.

Tain

so, with ZoE2 and the Mystara games there are now three games this gen that have been ported to the PS3 twice by two different developers, lol

paolo11

We're talking about the Vita ports. Jak is great on ps3 (though missing some minor effects) but the Vita ports are truly abysmal.

Nope. Ps2 is smoother than the HD versions.

Thanks for answering. Is the ps3 version the same as 360 in terms of performance ( ps3)?

How frequent are the dips in ZoE 1 anyway?

Top Bottom