• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Zone of the Enders HD patch out in Europe. [Up: Now up in the US]

JF0603

Neo Member
Hopefully by the time the patch hits North America I'll have finished the 2 games I got in progress right now...

If it hits at all in NA. IIRC there was a patch for MGSHD collection that was released in europe at one point but never made it to NA.

Eusis

If it hits at all in NA. IIRC there was a patch for MGSHD collection that was released in europe at one point but never made it to NA.
I'm really hoping policies don't get in the way of this stuff. Or that Konami USA doesn't suck in regards to this stuff.

Come to think of it, what DID that MGSHD patch do?

MechaX

Could it be that the PS3 just can't do the framebuffer effects at 720p and 60fps that the PS2 was doing at 640x240 and 60fps? That was the PS2's oddball strong point (like, the one thing it could do better than the original Xbox) after all, wasn't it?

It is probably very well possible, but it takes some really exceptional programing expertise to do so.

If someone like Hexadrive or Bluepoint had done the port to begin with, that might have been a possibility. But they ended up getting a team that can barely handle its own original games competently, let alone one of the more complex PS2 titles.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Could it be that the PS3 just can't do the framebuffer effects at 720p and 60fps that the PS2 was doing at 640x240 and 60fps? That was the PS2's oddball strong point (like, the one thing it could do better than the original Xbox) after all, wasn't it?

dat EDRAM..

But it did have insane fillrate so its possible.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
The ZOE HD collection was a way for Kojima and Konami to see if there is an audience for ZOE3. But they already blew their chance by going to the crappy studio (high voltage). Running to HexaDrive is great for the fans but a little too late to salvage the sales.

KojiPro initially planned to have ZoE HD on Vita as well and use the same Transfarring system as in MGS HD, but it seems like it was quietly cancelled. At least they haven't mentioned it since the first reveal.

HexaDrive could fix that.

dat EDRAM..

But it did have insane fillrate so its possible.

It's well know that this is the issue. It's the PS3's biggest weakness. The PS2 was a beast for this type of thing and ZOE2 makes full use of it and then some.
Would love to know how Hexadrive managed to increase performance so significantly (going by the impressions in this thread).

Apath

The ZOE HD collection was a way for Kojima and Konami to see if there is an audience for ZOE3. But they already blew their chance by going to the crappy studio (high voltage). Running to HexaDrive is great for the fans but a little too late to salvage the sales.

HexaDrive could fix that.
I'd pay top dollar for ZoE HD on the Vita. I gave up hope and got the PS3 version, but I'll gladly double (triple?) dip.

KojiPro initially planned to have ZoE HD on Vita as well and use the same Transfarring system as in MGS HD, but it seems like it was quietly cancelled. At least they haven't mentioned it since the first reveal.
I know about that. What I'm interested is the "back on the calendar" bit. Did another rumor/listing come up?

JoeFenix

I would really appreciate it if people could give their impressions after they get a chance to check it out.

I really want to get this but I'm still a bit skeptical, if anyone can make videos then that's even better!

I want to know if they'll re-issue the game in North America so I can get it with the patch on-disc.

I have no clue, but if I had to guess, I would say no.

The game has been out for what nine months? It wasn't a hot seller to begin with and it's Konami haha.

I would love to have it with the patch as I haven't purchased it yet, but it seems so unlikely. I'll probably pick it up when it's $15 or so.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, this patch makes a world of difference. They did a hell of a good job.

Without sitting down and doing a full analysis, here is what I've noticed in ZOE2 (haven't tried the original yet)

1) Framerate now operates at a stable 60 fps making it much smoother than the non-patched version as well as the PS2 original. Only in the most extreme circumstances does the framerate dip and those dips are extremely minor.

2) Post processing anti-aliasing appears to have been added resulting in extremely crisp and clean image quality. The original release did not use any sort of anti-aliasing.

3) Particles effects are now rendered at full resolution. The PS2 original used low resolution particle effects in order to maintain decent performance. I cannot actually recall if this was also true of the initial HD release but I can confirm that particles are rendered at a much higher quality now.

Those are the primary changes and they completely transform the game. The entire snow sequence operates at 60 fps a good 99% of the time providing a faster, smoother experience than even the original release. It feels remarkably good.

I'm also interested in examining the textures as the ship interior appears to be extremely clean and sharp in a way that I would not have expected from PS2.

JoeFenix

Without sitting down and doing a full analysis, here is what I've noticed in ZOE2 (haven't tried the original yet)

1) Framerate now operates at a stable 60 fps making it much smoother than the non-patched version as well as the PS2 original. Only in the most extreme circumstances does the framerate dip and those dips are extremely minor.

2) Post processing anti-aliasing appears to have been added resulting in extremely crisp and clean image quality. The original release did not use any sort of anti-aliasing.

3) Particles effects are now rendered at full resolution. The PS2 original used low resolution particle effects in order to maintain decent performance. I cannot actually recall if this was also true of the initial HD release but I can confirm that particles are rendered at a much higher quality now.

Those are the primary changes and they completely transform the game. The entire snow sequence operates at 60 fps a good 99% of the time providing a faster, smoother experience than even the original release. It feels remarkably good.

I'm also interested in examining the textures as the ship interior appears to be extremely clean and sharp in a way that I would not have expected from PS2.

Purchased the LE, sounds too good to be true! HYPE!

AwesomeSauce

MagsMoonshine

Great news!

Now to track down a copy for a good price.

Wow, I'll have to find a copy of this now.

Peff

Heh, I noticed that too but I thought it might have been a placebo effect from the better framerate.

Torraz

Funny how the patch is up for Europe and the US, yet Japan just HAS to wait for next week on the 25th to synchronize the online patch with the budget rerelease.

It really is night and day by comparison. Goddamned shame that this is not how the collection was originally released on both the 360 and the PS3. We'd be talking about how excited we all are for a sequel as opposed to lamenting it's apparent complete termination.

High Voltage really managed to screw this up, but shame should definitely be felt by Konami on this as well. How could they not see how badly the collection was originally turning out? Did they really expect to drive interest in a sequel to an already niche franchise with such crap?

It really is night and day by comparison. Goddamned shame that this is not how the collection was originally released on both the 360 and the PS3. We'd be talking about how excited we all are for a sequel as opposed to lamenting it's apparent complete termination.

High Voltage really managed to screw this up, but shame should definitely be felt by Konami on this as well. How could they not see how badly the collection was originally turning out? Did they really expect to drive interest in a sequel to an already niche franchise with such crap?
Well, they let the Silent Hill Collection through and that was actually much more.

Considering how Kojima only takes producer credit on the ZOE games (At least the big ones, I have no idea where he stands on Fist of Mars), makes you wonder how much he really cares about the series if that was the first foot forward for the franchise this many years after 2nd Runner first hit shelves.

red731

Thanks. Definitely going to buy it then.

After work, I will too!
congrats201.gif

You totally made my purchase, thank you!

Considering how Kojima only takes producer credit on the ZOE games (At least the big ones, I have no idea where he stands on Fist of Mars), makes you wonder how much he really cares about the series if that was the first foot forward for the franchise this many years after 2nd Runner first hit shelves.

The cynical, anti-MGS2 and 4 side of me says he's too busy putting twenty hours of cutscenes in MGS5 to actually give a shit about a superior game series.

The realistic side of me knows that ZoE has always been niche and has never been as important to the gaming world as MGS. If it doesn't sell, it doesn't sell, and that's about it. That and, Kojima is too busy herding cats in his dev team, trying to wrap things up with MGS5. That's already a massive project as is, so I would hardly be surprised if he didn't have time to spare for a port. Hell, I'd be more surprised if he DID have the time necessary.

EDarkness

I know it's been known for a while, but it really sucks that they didn't give 360 owners the patch as well. Gotta love the game business....

wwm0nkey

Feel like this post should be a thread on its own.

Judging from your tag, can I really trust it's 60fps ? :p

Are you sure about this? Sorry if it sounds like I'm doubting you but that sounds too good to be true. I should be able to try it in a couple of hours, looking forward to it.

Tsunamo

Thanks for the heads up OP, was waiting for this so I could download my PSN copy.

Also great to hear that it improves the games performance a bunch.

Finalow

uhm, looks nice but I already finished both 2-3 months ago and I'm not going to play them again. one time was more than enough. I guess I'll run them just to see how they look.

Played the early Anubis battle in ZOE2 and his particle-crazy BURST attack didn't even affect the framerate unlike the PS2 version. Looking forward to playing the rest of the game!

Top Bottom