• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Zone of the Enders HD patch out in Europe. [Up: Now up in the US]

Wow so this game I bought which was originally an inferior piece of shit is no longer an inferior piece of shit.

If only it was like that to begin with.

Bauer91

So the PS3 version with the new patch is now superior to both the Xbox 360 (which used to be the best) and PS2 versions and this patch will not be released for the 360 version, did I get that right?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
So the PS3 version with the new patch is now superior to both the Xbox 360 (which used to be the best) and PS2 versions and this patch will not be released for the 360 version, did I get that right?

Well the PS2 version was still the best before but other than that spot on.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Man, the English translation in this game is so bad.

I mean, it's right up there with the original Resident Evil in terms of line delivery but somehow makes even less sense. Stuff like "Damn, I lost my comrades again." and "Rick! Don't die!" definitely remind me of those classic performances.

"You better come back. It'll be fun from now on"
"You can't deceive me with beautiful words like freedom and independence anymore!"

"You can only stay alive when you're aboard Jehuty."
"Jehuty?"
"The machine supplements your heart and lungs. That power comes from Jehuty"
"What?"
"The minute you get off Jehuty it will stop providing energy! You will die if you leave Jehuty."

Jehuty Jehuty Jehuty Jehuty!!!

When you hear this stuff spoken it sounds outrageously bad. I actually own the JP version of the original game as well and, while the script isn't great, it sounds much more natural. They directly translated lines which don't really sound correct in English and ultimately spoil the dialog.

Are you sure about this? Sorry if it sounds like I'm doubting you but that sounds too good to be true. I should be able to try it in a couple of hours, looking forward to it.
100% certain.

It's much smoother than the original PS2 release and generally holds 60 fps during gameplay. Even the cutscenes run smoother this time.

100% certain.

It's much smoother than the original PS2 release and generally holds 60 fps during gameplay. Even the cutscenes run smoother this time.

Damn, that's awesome, I really love ZOE2, looks like this is the definitive version of the game afterall, I was so disappointed with it before.

Konosuke

Yes! As of this moment I love Hexadrive. Just finished the Aumaan Entrance battle. It was so smooth. It dipped still, but not to 15-10fps like before, and not as frequently. I had a hard time noticing dips actually. This mission was the biggest reason to ask for a remake and now I am pleased. I'm sure the rest of the game is running a flawless 60fps after this. Rejoice!

dark10x

Whooo I'm happy the patch is finally out! :D Though one question, do the changes in image-quality also affect Z.o.E. 1?
I was just going to chime in on that one.

The answer is NO. ZOE 1 appears to be untouched.

When you start ZOE 2 a "HexaDrive" logo appears when the game is launched while nothing extra shows up for ZOE 1.

The framerate in ZOE 1 is just as unstable as it was in the original release. It certainly runs much better than ZOE 2 used to but it's nowhere near as smooth as the original PS2 version. Particle effects result in regularly slowdown and general gameplay rarely holds steady. It also lacks the anti-aliasing added to the sequel.

I'm kind of surprised and disappointed. Not that I love the original game all that much but it would have been nice to have both games properly remastered instead of just ZOE 2. ZOE 2 is virtually flawless at this point but the original game is still in somewhat poor condition.

dark10x

Hmm in that case maybe I won't be picking up the game. That news just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
Eh, in the end, it's not so bad.

ZOE2 runs almost flawlessly while ZOE1 is still quite playable. ZOE2 was previously unplayable in comparison.

MechaX

I'm downloading the patch now. I think I'll try out some of the time trial stuff first (some of that shit was down-right unplayable originally).

thelastword

Banned
Still it's really embarrassing when we consider the disparity between the two devs. The former could not get a stable fps with worse IQ, yet Hexadrive not only stabilized the framerate but did so whilst also implementing anti-aliasing.

I still don't understand why they didn't redo both games though, at the end of the day you buy a collection of two games, not just Zoe2. I hope there's an explanation. Can one of our gaf investigators find out the reason for this?

Glad I waited to open my copy. It'd be nice if ZOE1 is fixed, but this is still great news. Perhaps they wanted to get ZOE2's patch out first whilst work continues on the first game.

Kudos to Konami for providing a positive outcome to this.

Cels

So they did absolutely nothing for ZOE1 eh. Konami dropped the ball already by not patching the 360 version and now half the collection is still in a sorry state even after patch on ps3. At least it's not silent hill hd.

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
So they did absolutely nothing for ZOE1 eh. Konami dropped the ball already by not patching the 360 version and now half the collection is still in a sorry state even after patch on ps3. At least it's not silent hill hd.

Yeah but SH is a dead IP (im sorry but its true) ZOE collection was to determine possible interest in the series in order to make a third one and Konami seems to have intentionally sabotaged the game again and again.

Jubern

I'd be interested to know what they did with this patch, honestly. Is it big?

I mean, you don't boost a game framerate AND put anti-aliasing, etc... JUST LIKE THAT, right?

Kensuke

So it's finally better than the PS2-version. I might actually buy it now. Sony should hire these guys to fix the Jak Collection on Vita.

MechaX

No ZOE1 is a shame, but eh, the combat in that game is not even good enough to warrant a significant overhall. And if there was a choice between Hexadrive working on 1 or 2, I would pick 2 and not even look back.

Here are my impressions of the playthrough with the patch:

- Game as a whole is a hell of a lot smoother than before. Even the cutscenes run better than before (usually on par with, or better than the PS2 version). Some of the slowdown in cutscenes seem to be moments that were hard-coded even in the original.

- The VR Training Mode isn't laggy as shit anymore (the grab object segment in VR Training has some slight slowdown, but grabbing and swinging objects in the main game is silky smooth)

- Ardjet fight ran with virtually no slow-down at any moment. Hell, it was fucking up my combo timing because I was so used to slowdowns when attacking her, even in the PS2 version.

- The Anubis battle is like absolute night and day here; the game's performance in that battle even runs laps around the PS2 version (there is literally no slow down when Anubis does his burst attack, which lagged down prior versions of the game, and Anubis simply teleporting does not actually make the game come to a crawl; it was running so well that Anubis was just rapidly teleporting so quickly). I was really surprised about how well Hexadrive improved this one.

- I had a lot of complaints with how the Nephtis 3 fight ran in the HD collection, even at the game's first streaming, so I checked it out. Like the Anubis battle, absolute night and day performance wise; the fight runs pretty smoothly, and has very minimal slowdowns (compared to the old HD version where Nephtis simply boosting around slowed the game to a crawl).

- The 100 LEV battle still runs kinda slow, but better than the PS2/pre-patch HD versions. It's a shame that they couldn't get this running fast, but depending on how this fight was programmed, that could have been probably the hardest thing to do.

- The Compressed Space Anubis battle runs sooo good in comparison to how it used to run.

In short, yeah, post-patch ZOE2 is the definitive version by far.

There wasn't anything wrong with ZOE1 to begin with really. Frame-rate is fine most of the time. Of course they could've thrown in more AA for example (if even ZOE2 has AA now than the first game could easily run at 1080p with 4 MSAA but I guess they had a tight budget for this) but ZOE2 was the game that really needed fixing.
Besides, you only play through 1 to get up to speed with the story, it's all about 2, it's a million times better and the reason to buy this collection in the first place.

Edit: Damn, 594mb? Hi-res particles included in the patch lol.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like I need to pick this up then. Wasn't sure if I wanted the PS3 version or maybe buy my friend's PS2 copies if he still had them.

Llyranor

Great, I had bought the 360 version specifically because it ran better. Thanks, Konami! I'm doubledipping only because I love ZoE2 so much.

Wow, just did the Vic viper fight and it was smooth as butter until he did his ultimate attacks, and even then it was a small amount if slow down.

Good job hexa. The game has noticeably better AA as well.

if this goes on sale today on psn us...

anyhow, ordered off amazon. Hope this stuff holds out. Never had a ps2, and people always said ZOE2 is like the best mecha game ever....

Is 1 worth dabbling in, like on easy to blast through or something?

Feindflug

Great, I had bought the 360 version specifically because it ran better. Thanks, Konami! I'm doubledipping only because I love ZoE2 so much.

It sucks that there will be no improvement patch for the 360 version but IIRC Konami did that again with the lack of patch for the 360 version of Silent Hill HD Collection so it's not that surprising that they continue to not give a fuck about their 360 customers.

Anyway I didn't buy the game at launch because of the performance issues and I guess I did the right thing, after this patch I'm definitely buying the PS3 version though.

RPGCrazied

I have it, had it since the first of the month, but I'm in the middle of playing all the MGS games(on 3 now). And I just got the ICO and Shadow of Colossal HD collection. I might play one of those before next month, cause once Tales of Xillia is out, I'm giving that my full attention.

I'll grab the patch now though.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Alright this is what I was waiting for, shift to vector cannon mode!

Just bought my game, should be here by Friday. I swore I would support this as soon as this patch came out, so that is exactly what I am doing.

Top Bottom