• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN 2.0: What should it be like? (Twitter #BetterPSN)

Aurizen

And guy the new PSN update 3.0 will have improved cloud storage from 1GB to 10GB. Progress right? Lets hope they address more! COUGHBetter/more CDN's for more speed / stabilityCOUGH

Online storage capacity increase — PS4 online storage capacity has increased from 1GB to 10GB for all PS Plus members. In 3.00 system software, you’ll see that we added a handy usage meter to monitor your available storage capacity, and a new Auto-Upload menu has been added to Application Saved Data Management.
Source:Kotaku

etta

my hard graphic balls
Has this campaign died? havent heard much about it

Yea it kinda fizzled out.

As for the 10GB, it's a good step, but I was really expecting unlimited, or faux-unlimited. I don't think 10GB is a significant improvement, given that some games' saves are 300-500MB, but I will update the OP if you guys think so.

Aurizen

As for the 10GB, it's a good step, but I was really expecting unlimited, or faux-unlimited. I don't think 10GB is a significant improvement, given that some games' saves are 300-500MB, but I will update the OP if you guys think so.

Yeah sure update it yeah I do think more than 10 would've been better around 20 or 30, maybe they'll update the limit in a while.

I'm just hoping they bring more!

I think it is a big improvement and probably be sufficient for most customers for now. I have nowhere near 10GB of save data and probably won't for a good while.

And guy the new PSN update 3.0 will have improved cloud storage from 1GB to 10GB. Progress right? Lets hope they address more! COUGHBetter/more CDN's for more speed / stabilityCOUGH

I don't think we'll ever know about infrastructure improvements unless the gaming press specifically ask about that.

Walpurgis

Banned
There are so many things wrong with PSN that, at this point, I think it would just be best for Sony to make online free again and leave PSN as the mess that we know it will always be.

Aurizen

I don't think we'll ever know about infrastructure improvements unless the gaming press specifically ask about that.

It would be a nice surprise to see if there are improvements to the network like users are getting faster speed and a more stable connection.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Yeah sure update it yeah I do think more than 10 would've been better around 20 or 30, maybe they'll update the limit in a while.

I'm just hoping they bring more!

I think it is a big improvement and probably be sufficient for most customers for now. I have nowhere near 10GB of save data and probably won't for a good while.

Done.

good-news-everyone-o.gif

Update:
PS4 FW 3.0 will increase the PS+ cloud save storage size 10 GB!

Purest 78

You don't think 1 vs 10 is a significant improvement?

Sirim

You don't think 1 vs 10 is a significant improvement?
1 vs 10 on paper out of context will always sound like a big deal. Just because the number is 10 times bigger doesn't mean that translates into a huge deal in real world use. An improvement, yes. A significant improvement, no.

A welcome change, nonetheless. Better than nothing.

Purest 78

1 vs 10 on paper out of context will always sound like a big deal. Just because the number is 10 times bigger doesn't mean that translates into a huge deal in real world use. An improvement, yes. A significant improvement, no.

1 vs 10 is a huge improvement to me.

Darknight

It could of been 20GB and some would of said the exact thing.

Case in point, you cant please everyone. (Not sure Sony/MS are ready for unlimited cloud storage)

Dragon

Banned

Definition of a "moving goalpost" post.

It could of been 20GB and some would of said the exact thing.

Case in point, you cant please everyone. (Not sure Sony/MS are ready for unlimited cloud storage)

Nice strawman :).

MS has unlimited cloud saves for XB1 as far as I know.

Sirim

Definition of a "moving goalpost" post.

Nice strawman :).

MS has unlimited cloud saves for XB1 as far as I know.
I've never talked about this issue before. Don't think I ever established a goal post. Also, your own comment about MS is part of the reason why this doesn't impress me as significant.

Edit: And if you're about to call me out on some MS PR thing, I only own a PS4. 10gb just isn't a lot of storage any way you slice it in 2015. Not sure why people find that so controversial.

Dragon

Banned
I've never talked about this issue before. Don't think I ever established a goal post.

Edit: And if you're about to call me out on some MS PR thing, I only own a PS4. 10gb just isn't a lot of storage any way you slice it in 2015. Not sure why people find that so controversial.

Perhaps it was the wrong fallacy. Just found your post totally a matter of semantics. 10 GB after the amount of complaints is definitely a significant improvement. Saying it's better than nothing is kinda like crapping all over it. They're addressing one of people's main concerns.

Edit: Totally wasn't. Don't care what consoles you own. Not really relevant. Not sure why you're comparing 10 GB of storage here versus other mediums. Do other mediums store PlayStation specific save files? Seems to be comparing apples and oranges.

Sirim

Perhaps it was the wrong fallacy. Just found your post totally a matter of semantics. 10 GB after the amount of complaints is definitely a significant improvement. Saying it's better than nothing is kinda like crapping all over it. They're addressing one of people's main concerns.

Edit: Totally wasn't. Don't care what consoles you own. Not really relevant.
This way of thinking halts progress.

People have been hoping and writing in to Sony about wanting more storage, as they should. But a 9gb increase? That is not a lot of storage increase, especially when the competition has virtually unlimited cloud storage.

That's why I said it's better than nothing - it is. Of course 10gb is better than 1gb. But it's only a significant improvement when looking at it in a vacuum. Look at other cloud storage solutions both in gaming and beyond, and you can't help but feel disappointed.

I also don't find anything wrong in voicing that concern. If people keep praising a mere 9gb increase in storage space, perhaps Sony will never find a reason to increase it further to something more standard of other platforms.

But, maybe this is all semantics.

Not sure why you're comparing 10 GB of storage here versus other mediums. Do other mediums store PlayStation specific save files? Seems to be comparing apples and oranges.
If anything, that only strengthens my argument, seeing as how Playstation specific save files tend to be 10mb each according to my save game list, and added to with the same amount with every additional save you have in a given game. Adds up very quickly.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Cloud storage is dirt cheap, look at Amazon's cloud storage prices or Google's.
Google: https://cloud.google.com/storage/pricing
Amazon's S3: https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/

There's no reason why they should not give us faux-unlimited like Microsoft does when we are paying Sony $50 per year and paying Microsoft nothing for it. Microsoft even stores screenshots and videos in that same cloud space too, with the Gold subscription, with screenshots ranging from 3-6MB uncompressed .png and video recordings that are many times bigger.

Walpurgis

Banned
This way of thinking halts progress.

People have been hoping and writing in to Sony about wanting more storage, as they should. But a 9gb increase? That is not a lot of storage increase, especially when the competition has virtually unlimited cloud storage.

That's why I said it's better than nothing - it is. Of course 10gb is better than 1gb. But it's only a significant improvement when looking at it in a vacuum. Look at other cloud storage solutions both in gaming and beyond, and you can't help but feel disappointed.

I also don't find anything wrong in voicing that concern. If people keep praising a mere 9gb increase in storage space, perhaps Sony will never find a reason to increase it further to something more standard of other platforms.

But, maybe this is all semantics.
I completely agree and the bolded is why I am always so critical of Sony and PSN. I am critical because many people are not and are happy to accept what they are given. Everyone is paying them PS+ money now. I expect them to do something with that money. 10 GB is not doing something, it is trash.

Sirim

I completely agree and the bolded is why I am always so critical of Sony and PSN. I am critical because many people are not and are happy to accept what they are given. Everyone is paying them PS+ money now. I expect them to do something with that money. 10 GB is not doing something, it is trash.
Well said. It really boggles the mind, especially with how cheap cloud storage is, as the above poster pointed out.

I respect Sony, but there's just a lot of things they always seem to take only half-way. Or in this case, not even that.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
10GB is a big jump, but I can understand the disappointment from some given some games have 300mb save files. Even 10GB could theoretically disappear in 12 months.

GobFather

Well said. It really boggles the mind, especially with how cheap cloud storage is, as the above poster pointed out.

I respect Sony, but there's just a lot of things they always seem to take only half-way. Or in this case, not even that.
It's true, we want more but I think Sony is just starting to build their cloud storage and system. With the money they are making from ps plus. Whereas Microsoft was ahead of the game in that regard. I am looking forward to seeing more storage available. It's a small victory but as consumers .. Keep pushing lol

Paganmoon

Cloud storage is only cheap/Free for end users, and there's a reason for that. Google and Microsoft giving 10-20GB off the bat, you subscribe you get 1TB etc. Only an insignificant fraction of the users will ever get to those numbers. Even with cloudbackup of mobile phones pictures from my Lumia 1020, I was never close to filling my share.

So it's all about overcommitting your storage. Cloud storage providers do it, and I guarantee that if you work for a company with around 1000 employees and you have any kind of SAN, with virtualized servers, your IT department has overcommitted the storage.

Now with PS+ cloud storage, they can't really overcommit their storage much, since if you're a PS+ sub, you probably use your PS4 quite a bit, and will have tons of saves to upload.

Now, 10GB increases is great, and it's about freaking time they increased it. But it's really not "cheap" for a company like Sony, without any real powerfull CDN's, like Google, Microsoft and Valve, to do this without somewhat hefty initial investments.

Hopefully the investment also goes towards pumping up their CDN's.

Top Bottom