• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psn Account hijacked! (Update: 6 months later, a winner is you!)

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Hey more of a PSA than anything but my psn account got hijacked yesterday. They bought gta5 on my account and then changed the log in details. I didn't notice this had happened till today, at which point £500 had already left my account! All on psn games by the looks of it. I've just got off the phone to my bank and cancelled my card to prevent any more charges. Tomorrow I'm going to call Sony and get my account back using the three serial numbers. I have for my ps3 ps4 and vita, but I have no idea how Sony handle refunds as I had better get this money back.

What are peoples experiences with this sort of thing? And yeah, watch your accounts guys!

so they bought gta 5 just for no reason? which system did they buy it for?

EXACTLY the same thing happened to me this year and the guy who did it also bought GTA V. Thankfully I've noticed it before he could do any more damage. Changed my password, cancelled my credit card, the bank cancelled the transaction and gave me all my money back. What I didn't know was, that Sony would classify this as a "fraud attempt" and would ban my account.

The weirdest thing is, that the Sony customer service didn't really know what to do with this, so the guy told me over the phone that I should buy one of those prepaid cards for PSN for 60 dollars, send him the codes and that would cancel out my "debt" (he used this word so many times that I got incredibly annoyed). I thought that that was very shady, so the bank took all responsibilities in resolving this by contacting Sony. Of course, they wouldn't budge, so my account is now stuck in an endless bureaucratic limbo.

Why is Sony so fucking inept? Good god. Will never leave my CC info there again.

Doesn't a hacker need your email password as well to change your account details?

I could of sworn when I changed my email this year I had to sign off the change by clicking a link in my orginal email first.

hodgy100

allot of people on PS3 and PS4 who gameshare end up having issues like this happen. I am curious to know if he ever gameshared with anyone in the passed. That would require you to give another person your sign in information.

No game sharing. The only console my account had been on other than my own was my brothers ps3 and I entered the deets myself.

My admitidly weak password probably just got figured out. I'll replace it with a more complex one when I get my account back.

That's what I thought but apparently Sony bans your account if they receive a chargeback

I too heard of this which is why I'm calling Sony first to ask them how they would rather I go about this, before contacting my banks fraud team. Even then i will say not to charge back Sony as that will get my account locked. And while in may get my £500 back it pales in comparison to the value of my account.

And this kind of stuff is the reason why Two Factor should be mandatory on any service now. Hope you get your account back OP. Terrible thing to go through.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I too heard of this which is why I'm calling Sony first to ask them how they would rather I go about this, before contacting my banks fraud team. Even then i will say not to charge back Sony as that will get my account locked. And while in may get my £500 back it pales in comparison to the value of my account.

They are legally obliged to give you your money back even if it wasn't fradulent. You are in the UK and have consumer protection laws.

hodgy100

They are legally obliged to give you your money back even if it wasn't fradulent. You are in the UK and have consumer protection laws.

I know. Just trying to handle this as carefully as I can.

EDIT: I'd love it if I could have a banking app that forces manual authentication of all online transactions. Even if it just flags up a notification to enter in my pin along with display saying who is making the charge and how much its for. That would be great.

EatMyFace

Banned
And why are people only now saying 'I'm going to remove my CC', 'I just wiped my card'.

Did you lot not think that hacking/phishing/malware existed until now or something?

That attitude shouldn't just lay with PSN either, never store your card details on anything.
DAT GAF hivemind.

wowlace

EXACTLY the same thing happened to me this year and the guy who did it also bought GTA V. Thankfully I've noticed it before he could do any more damage. Changed my password, cancelled my credit card, the bank cancelled the transaction and gave me all my money back. What I didn't know was, that Sony would classify this as a "fraud attempt" and would ban my account.

The weirdest thing is, that the Sony customer service didn't really know what to do with this, so the guy told me over the phone that I should buy one of those prepaid cards for PSN for 60 dollars, send him the codes and that would cancel out my "debt" (he used this word so many times that I got incredibly annoyed). I thought that that was very shady, so the bank took all responsibilities in resolving this by contacting Sony. Of course, they wouldn't budge, so my account is now stuck in an endless bureaucratic limbo.

That's some bullshit. Sony fail.

FeiRR

Banned
EDIT: I'd love it if I could have a banking app that forces manual authentication of all online transactions. Even if it just flags up a notification to enter in my pin along with display saying who is making the charge and how much its for. That would be great.
Can't you put limits on online transactions? It's not super convienent but I prefer that to losing my money. When I'm not planning to buy anything, I change the limits to 0.

Teletraan1

Banned
It took me months to get my credit card on my account to actually register and stick. No chance I am going to remove it at this point. I would rather go through the fraud hassle if I did get hacked honestly.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Changed my password and removed my card information as soon as I heard about that hack the other day. Take no chances.

I know. Just trying to handle this as carefully as I can.

In the UK we have securesafe, which asks for certain letter of your cards online password.

Certain retailers aren't signed up to it though. Amazon and paypal are notable examples. Never had a card on PSN so im unsure if they are.

Ploid 3.0

Mine got social engineered hacked back and forward. Thankfully I didn't have any billing info on it as I always take that off from any online service (not amazon though). They got access to my hotmail account somhow. My Final Fantasy 11 account too since it was also on the hotmail account.

Btw mine was hacked last year and my newly released GTA5 would be deactivated for my machine every time I got it back. GTA again huh? I better check my psn.

JC Lately

Hey more of a PSA than anything but my psn account got hijacked yesterday. They bought gta5 on my account and then changed the log in details. I didn't notice this had happened till today, at which point £500 had already left my account! All on psn games by the looks of it. I've just got off the phone to my bank and cancelled my card to prevent any more charges. Tomorrow I'm going to call Sony and get my account back using the three serial numbers. I have for my ps3 ps4 and vita, but I have no idea how Sony handle refunds as I had better get this money back.

What are peoples experiences with this sort of thing? And yeah, watch your accounts guys!

Wait. They can change the log in details without access to your email account? Doesn't Sony send you an email whenever a change of that nature is submitted so you can confirm or deny said change?

leroidys

I'm moving towards just buying cards on amazon for the digital services. Too much of a risk leaving your CC on these poorly secured (and highly targeted) services.

Reule

It's not even just a PSN precaution, I'd use pre-paid cards if they're available anywhere. I hope Sony considers a two-step authentication in the future. Takes a lot of worry away from any online services.

Sorry you had your PSN hijacked. Hope it works out with their customer service to get your account back.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Wait. They can change the log in details without access to your email account? Doesn't Sony send you an email whenever a change of that nature is submitted so you can confirm or deny said change?

ok this is tricky. it all depends on where you change the password. the answer is yes and no. there is a site where they require NO email notification approval. the secondary you do.

gruenel

It's unbelievable they still don't offer two-step verification for these accounts where lots of people have THOUSANDS of dollars worth of content.

It's also a fucking nightmare that it's apparently such a pain in the ass to get your account unbanned from the service even when you're the victim.

Fix that shit, Sony.

Well I just took my card information off. I didn't even realise I had it on. I use my card so then I don't get any money remaining on my PSN account after a payment.

LoveCake

I have never used a credit card on a console for this very reason.

To the OP i hope you get it all sorted out ok.

DAT GAF hivemind.

What a great post. Thanks for stopping by.

That sounds really shitty OP. I hope you manage to get it sorted. There are some reall assholes out there who don't care what they do to other people. Just don't do a charge back as others have posted as Sony see that as a red flag against you straight away.

scitek

Then don't use your credit card at stores.. certainly don't hand them over to waiters/waitresses.

Don't put your DEBIT CARD into anything.

Credit cards offer protections... use them without much worry, just monitor your transactions.

Yeah, this is important. If someone steals your CC, just cancel it. If they steal your DEBIT card, your bank account's directly affected, and you have no money until it's sorted. Big difference.

It's crazily unsecure services like PSN with no security options besides a password that give me no faith in digital future. This is what kills gaming for me these days more than anything else. If you get compromised there's basically no recourse besides getting lucky and maybe possibly getting your account back if Corporation X is feeling charitable.

No. Proven fake.

Can I get a link to where it was proven fake? Not that I don't believe you, I just missed it.

Any way, I removed my card from PSN just now. It was odd, too. Couldn't log in with my password. Checked and double checked I was inputting it right, so I ended up changing my password too.

Top Bottom