• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN, Battlenet, Riot, and others DDOSed; PSN returning lightly toasted with butter

Derpcrawler

I think you should follow your own advice.

In modern computing terminology, a "hack" is a solution to a problem, doing a task, or fixing a system that is inefficient, inelegant, or even unfathomable, but which nevertheless (more or less) works.

DSfix is a hack, different php tricks are called hacks, same as any other programming language or environment, I can go on and on, but I made my point. As I said, some people are salty for some reason, when anything bad can be associated with Sony, even if it's something as little as wording. Get a grip.

Edit: For average Joe "hack" means "break dem computer stuff", that's all, if you expect anyone sane in the news trying to push term DDoS with long ass complicated explanation and why it's different from "hack", for what, just to make sure no one is thinking bad about Sony and 2011 incident, then you are delusional. I would understand being mad if some IT website ran story about "hack", but non-IT media? Come on, son.

dmr87

Kazuo Hirai, President of Sony Computer Entertainment, took the attack in stride. He wrote on twitter: „Out now on PS4: “PSN Outage: Remastered.” It is a remake of the classic PSN Outage of 2011, except now in glorious 1080p and 60FPS“

Lacb.gif

Dragon

Banned
Of course it's working. We aren't talking about PSN here.

Of course it is.....LoL. Shit like this only happens to Sony...

Both of you are wrong, and there was a time during the 360's reign where XBL was down for more than a day.

I suggest you to look up term hacking again, instead of making stories out of your ass.

You're quite rude and even worse, quite wrong. There is a distinction to be made between hacking and DDOSing, especially when it comes to PSN because of what happened in 2011.

In modern computing terminology, a "hack" is a solution to a problem, doing a task, or fixing a system that is inefficient, inelegant, or even unfathomable, but which nevertheless (more or less) works.

DSfix is a hack, different php tricks are called hacks, same as any other programming language or environment, I can go on and on, but I made my point. As I said, some people are salty for some reason, when anything bad can be associated with Sony, even if it's something as little as wording. Get a grip.

While what you say may be true, it still doesn't represent the most common definition of the word. Most, if not all dictionaries point to my original definition and that is what people will understand the word to mean.

Handy Fake

tumblr_n74kau4Xxr1tctq75o9_250.gif

It's not the 80s, nobody says "hack" anymore.

Edit: For average Joe "hack" means "break dem computer stuff", that's all, if you expect anyone sane in the news trying to push term DDoS with long ass complicated explanation and why it's different from "hack", for what, just to make sure no one is thinking bad about Sony and 2011 incident, then you are delusional. I would understand being mad if some IT website ran story about "hack", but non-IT media? Come on, son.

I should add that if people were to stay true to the original definitions in computer technology then we should be referring to attackers as crackers anyway, not hackers. Definitions change with the times when words are used so loosely.

Derpcrawler

We're not talking about PHP/CSS. It's not relevant.

Any programming language use term "hack", even networks, and not always in the way of "steal personal data". I don't know why so many people are defensive about such a small thing as wording on mainstream media and this incident. I swear, sometimes it feels you will be eaten alive if you write anything negative about Sony or Nintendo on Neogaf, even if it's something simple as wording.

In fact I don't even care anymore, I finally was able to restore my licenses and start playing surgeon simulator, you can keep yelling at mainstream media and their inability to explain difference between "hack" and DDoS to average Joe.

Edit: PSN is still up for me, at least trophies and friend list, Store doesn't load, thank god was able to restore licenses in time.

thought I'd post this wisdom from misterxmedia for a good laugh:

https://twitter.com/misterxmedia/status/503184655240409088

claims Sony is going to implement the original Xbox One DRM style as a result of this

I'm by no means supporting misterx (dude is crazy), but he tweeted that out on Saturday well before PSN was DDoS'd. I don't think he is claiming that Sony is going to implement XB1 DRM because of this, since it hadn't happened yet. Maybe he's behind all of this?!

icespide

Banned
I'm by no means supporting misterx (dude is crazy), but he tweeted that out on Saturday well before PSN was DDoS'd. I don't think he is claiming that Sony is going to implement XB1 DRM because of this, since it hadn't happened yet. Maybe he's behind all of this?!

ah yeah good point, I didn't correlate the dates too carefully. I just like to read his tweets sometimes for entertainment haha

Gestault

Store was accessible this morning (as per a friend), but it's giving the "log-in failed" error again for both of us as of roughly 20 minutes ago. I've tried logging into several other non-Playstation services, so far they seem to be up.

(I'm at work, so this is just the browser services)

Kayant

yep. he also claims that Rise of the Tomb Raider is using a modified Halo 5 engine

Look at the insanity -

Misterx: You said: "Tomb rader rg will use a halo5 modified engine.. Xbox does rt lighting better .."

PS4 does some sort of raytracing too on its 1.8TF?

Insider: Xbox one can do a lot of things ps4 will not be able to do.. but these effects gfx elerments take time.. as learning new streamin and parallel computing offload. Most middle ware companies still haven't moved over to learning the xbox one architectures.
There all into testing esram and sharing what works best and balancing the architectures..

Ps4 will be able to voxel ray path. And it was used in killzone 4 for lighting... but your going to find it used flat shading and sub surface scattering but the game never took it to the shader/ pixel level.

Im still shocked to think that drive club is still not released ... there trying to complete with forza 5 and horizon 2 ... but there going to run into cross game development when gt comes around. Then when forza 6 comes around your going to really see a gfx jump and the way we play the game. Forza 6 will have had a 3 year cycle..

Sony is trying to find development time by spoon feeding trailers. There doing well with sales but there in a lot more countries.. the megatons are coming. Ms have a lot of I.p in the work we will start to see years end. But ms all ways shows games that are soon to release .. halo5 is showing gamers the development cycle and providing that x1 is more powerful. There also heavily invested.

Insider: You will see that they have to patch all games going forward.. the patch is unique for every game .. they are and will lock the games to the console.. with playstation any where option.. there test the design now . User id

Insider: The funny thing about this big ddos attack it is fake its a fear campaign for the industry to implement there drm or serial license locking of the game console.. told u mrx... I don't support this blanket approach from sony ... there going fail at tgs when they announce this.. expect your psn account has been compromised... its a shame that the ponys will be spoon feed any lies ..

Lmaoooo the same guy that don't know half the things says. Nah.

PSN down for me, tried to watch some singsing dota on my ps3 in the bedroom but can't use youtube because I can't log into psn (fuck you sony why link youtube to psn login...), guess I'll go watch in the living room on my pc.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Everything seems fine on my end. (Florida)

PS4 works on my end, been playing FFXIV.
PS App on my phone works, able to login.
PS Store on my PC works, bought something.

Top Bottom