• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN, Battlenet, Riot, and others DDOSed; PSN returning lightly toasted with butter

Cornbread78

Sweet, the longer they keep up the charade, the more opportunity there is to track the traffic.... Hopefully, the CIA/FBI and NSA can get "in touch" with the Lizard squad for their comments yesterday.

Albinon

Neo Member
I'm able to sign in perfectly fine on both my PS3 and 360, so all is good on my end. Guess it's a good thing I wanted to play XCOM today, cause if the Lizards are up to no good again, it won't stop my game.

Hopefully something good can come out of this. Specifically decoupling games playability from network availability (both PSN and XBL). Without having to unplug, muck around in settings, etc to get the console to work.

I'm by no means supporting misterx (dude is crazy), but he tweeted that out on Saturday well before PSN was DDoS'd. I don't think he is claiming that Sony is going to implement XB1 DRM because of this, since it hadn't happened yet. Maybe he's behind all of this?!

I think its interesting that he posted that Sony was working on some DRM stuff, and the moment that they got DDoS'd everyone lost access to their games.

The fact that he made the tweet about DRM coming back, and people lost access to their PSN games as soon as it went down gives him at least something.

Ok, Ok, not everyone. And it was never completely down. The error code was affecting some people trying to access those games.

My only point was that he made that tweet and within 24 hours something happened which gave him something to hang his hat on. I'm not saying he knew something or is even correct, my point was that something going wrong and him being able to tie it back to what he said would happen feeds the flames.

icespide

Banned
Hopefully something good can come out of this. Specifically decoupling games playability from network availability (both PSN and XBL). Without having to unplug, muck around in settings, etc to get the console to work.

the system in place right now is pretty fair IMO.

your primary console can always play the games. consoles signed into your account but not primary have to be signed in

the alternative would be way too easy to exploit

icespide

Banned
I think its interesting that he posted that Sony was working on some DRM stuff, and the moment that they got DDoS'd everyone lost access to their games.

The fact that he made the tweet about DRM coming back, and people lost access to their PSN games as soon as it went down gives him at least something.

um I was playing my digital copy of Diablo all day yesterday offline

Alucrid

Banned

I played digital games on my PS4 yesterday.

Proxy

I played my digital copy of D3 all day yesterday.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

"Everyone"? lol

"Everyone"? lol

everyone.gif

Dragon

Banned
Any programming language use term "hack", even networks, and not always in the way of "steal personal data". I don't know why so many people are defensive about such a small thing as wording on mainstream media and this incident. I swear, sometimes it feels you will be eaten alive if you write anything negative about Sony or Nintendo on Neogaf, even if it's something simple as wording.

In fact I don't even care anymore, I finally was able to restore my licenses and start playing surgeon simulator, you can keep yelling at mainstream media and their inability to explain difference between "hack" and DDoS to average Joe.

Edit: PSN is still up for me, at least trophies and friend list, Store doesn't load, thank god was able to restore licenses in time.

It's not defensive. It's using language to convey to people what's actually happening. You're completely missing the point over and over again by sticking to your guns.

I'm a web programmer as well and have used the term 'hack' many times to refer to me fixing something in a completely shitty way and I still wouldn't describe ddosing as hacking in this situation. When there's a clearer way to describe it to help alleviate confusion why wouldn't you use it?

GutZ31

I´m at work.. can´t test my PS4, Vita or PS3.. but I can´t get onto the PC store..

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-dk/home/games

East coast, works for me. Took about 17 seconds to load though.

It's not defensive. It's using language to convey to people what's actually happening. You're completely missing the point over and over again by sticking to your guns.

I'm a web programmer as well and have used the term 'hack' many times to refer to me fixing something in a completely shitty way and I still wouldn't describe ddosing as hacking in this situation. When there's a clearer way to describe it to help alleviate confusion why wouldn't you use it?

1396660919884.jpg

hack1
hak/Submit
verb
cut with rough or heavy blows.
"hack off the dead branches"
synonyms: cut, chop, hew, lop, saw; slash
"Stuart hacked the padlock off"
use a computer to gain unauthorized access to data in a system.
"they hacked into a bank's computer"
gain unauthorized access to (data in a computer).
"hacking private information from computers"

informal
manage; cope.
"lots of people leave because they can't hack it"
synonyms: cope, manage, get on/by, carry on, come through, muddle along/through; More
noun
noun: hack; plural noun: hacks
a rough cut, blow, or stroke.
"he was sure one of us was going to take a hack at him"
(in sports) a kick or hit inflicted on another player.
a cut or gash.
a tool for rough striking or cutting, e.g., a mattock or a miner's pick.
informal
an act of computer hacking.

Most people would agree, when talking about computers, Hack means damage, or harm.

Dunlop

The good news is that this did not happen for the Destiny launch, hopefully they will have better tools in place because of this

Kayant

People actually give him the benefit of doubt... I can't even.

You might what to read these threads to see why it happened in the first place.

"Everyone"? lol

Loool exactly some people.

People actually give him the benefit of doubt... I can't even.

You might what to read these threads to see why it happened in the first place.

Loool exactly some people.

I never said give him the benefit of the doubt. My point was something like this happening can allow him to tie back to his theories no matter how incorrect they are.

Look at all the "We didn't go to the Moon" theories, they take one little thing that has nothing to do with it and use it to prove that they are correct.

How does a DDoS "help" the thought of X1-style DRM?

If anything, it's a direct contradiction, because imagine how pissed 10 million+ people would be if they paid for a paperweight for a day, as opposed to only some being locked out of single player games and everyone else playing along fine?

How does a DDoS "help" the thought of X1-style DRM?

If anything, it's a direct contradiction, because imagine how pissed 10 million+ people would be if they paid for a paperweight for a day, as opposed to only some being locked out of single player games and everyone else playing along fine?

It's misterxmedia, he's delusional and probably a bit ill minded.

Novocaine

I need to remove the authenticator on my battle.net account and can't :(

I hope they get back on track soon. Seriously fuck people who do this kind of shit.

Jonnax

According to the great MrXMedia it's a false flag operation. I can't for the life of me believe that this isn't satire. All the posts are crazy, the commenters don't even seem real.
Insider: Sonys drm.. is stuffing up :)
Misterx: See how it will became the best thing for Sony gamers :) Will be fun. More details? Silent implementation or announce? :) dates?

Insider: Rental nightmare drm.. the error code for ps4 is fail to load ... new update has been hiding in the dashboard. Big troubles coming.

Insider: No tgs phil has officially announced via his twitter account .. but Monday there is an xbox internal brief on what is happening. . We are all in shock on this end... This is leading to a x14 event in November .. but we were all briefed that tgs would be a key event. There was going to be significant announcements.
Will let people know more when I do.. but something major has happen.. evem major nelson would haven't know ether

Misterx: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-ps4-glitch-that-made-some-games-unplayable-sh/1100-6421877/ seems DRM errors have been fixed. Why you sure it will appear again?

Insider: You will see that they have to patch all games going forward.. the patch is unique for every game .. they are and will lock the games to the console.. with playstation any where option.. there test the design now . User id

Insider: The funny thing about this big ddos attack it is fake its a fear campaign for the industry to implement there drm or serial license locking of the game console.. told u mrx... I don't support this blanket approach from sony ... there going fail at tgs when they announce this.. expect your psn account has been compromised... its a shame that the ponys will be spoon feed any lies ..

Derpcrawler

How do you explain DDoS to people who on average have computer literacy barely enough to set up Twitter and Facebook accounts? You see in this same thread people getting confused by term DDoS and what it implies and it's pretty "literate" gaming community, if you gonna push line about changing definition of computer terms, DDoS is part of "hacking" even if technically it's not, same as hacking not technically always "unauthorized access", at least in the minds of 99% of population who can't see difference between those two. They have maybe 1-2 minutes of air time, where they need to explain situation with Airlines, reasons for attack and anything relevant. If anything, using anything other than a term "hacking" and "hackers" would make average Joe even more confused. Can you imagine "random script kids DDoS'ed Sony and their upstream providers with their massive botnet, and while Sony servers were unaffected, bottleneck on their upstream providers network rendered service unavailable for their customers, but DON'T WORRY, it's NOT A HACK WHICH IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT, SONY DIDN'T LOSE ANY OF YOUR DATA THIS TIME, because DDoS means distributed denial of service, which implies clogging up bandwidth or CPU time of service, such as PSN, by using brute force of million of bots in botnet, to send random requests and data to targeted servers which causes those issues, TOTALLY NOT A HACK you uneducated scum".

Seriously, when speaking to fellow gamers I think some of them are losing grip on reality.

Gestault

How do you explain DDoS to people who on average have computer literacy barely enough to set up Twitter and Facebook accounts? They have maybe 1-2 minutes of air time, where they need to explain situation with Airlines, reasons for attack and anything relevant. If anything, using anything other than a term "hacking" and "hackers" would make average Joe even more confused. Can you imagine "random script kids DDoS'ed Sony and their upstream providers with their massive botnet, and while Sony servers were unaffected, bottleneck on their upstream providers network rendered service unavailable for their customers, but DON'T WORRY, it's NOT A HACK WHICH IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT, SONY DIDN'T LOSE ANY OF YOUR DATA THIS TIME, because DDoS means disturbed distributed denial of service, which implies clogging up bandwidth or CPU time of service, such as PSN, by using brute force of million of bots in botnet, to send random requests and data to targeted servers which causes those issues, TOTALLY NOT A HACK you uneducated scum".

Seriously, when speaking to fellow gamers I think some of them are losing grip on reality.

To be fair, saying "some people blocked Sony's networks so people can't sign-in, but no ones data was taken" works as an explanation. I totally get what you mean though, and I think Dragon did sound defensive (because people might misunderstand the short-hand), but I think you're overstating that point.

I've been able to access all my games on PS4 and Vita throughout this whole fiasco. Houston Texas.

Diablo 3 would give me a "you need to sign into PSN" message every now and then but I would ignore it.

Yesterday around lunch time PSN was connected and stayed that way all night. Only thing that didn't work was the What's New thing.

MMaRsu

Banned
Lol some guy on twitter is grilling me blaming sony and saying omg they got hacked again. I then proceed to tell this guy a ddos attack is not a hack and he calls me retarded lol.

Top Bottom