• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN down due to unannounced maintenance?

The fact that any of you thought I was serious is so fucking funny to me. I thought it was obviously sarcasm.

Sarcsm does not translate on the Internet. I always forget.

Deadly Joker... username checks out.

But ever since the psn hack a few years ago, I haven't tied my cc to any game accounts. During the steam panic I was apathetic. Regarding psn, I just want to play. Lol.

commedieu

Banned
luke-skywalker-2.jpg

wig

I game share with my brother so all of my games are unplayable. Damn it Sony, I've had a long two days and all I want to do now is play some Dark Souls 2... :(

Huh, I wonder why 3 days. Maybe they hit some sort of internal limit on active users on PSN? Database issues?

MAYBE THEY ARE FINALLY GOING TO ALLOW YOU TO CHANGE USERNAMES!

Huh, I wonder why 3 days. Maybe they hit some sort of internal limit on active users on PSN? Database issues?

There's nothing like a dire emergency to kickstart a proper database restructuring! Huzzah!

Boke1879

I mean could this possibly have anything to do with that conference where the hackers are trying to get linux and such working on PS4. Maybe Sony is trying to curb that?

Alebrije

I think they are upgrading their servers from Ataris 260O to 5200. Greatness awaits!!!

ReaperXL7

Kind of blows, I really wanted to buy Rebel Galaxy tomarrow. It's gotta suck for developers when they think their game is going up for sale on a specific day and then nonsense like this happens.

Boke1879

If it's truly down for 3 days an explanation is warranted. I mean the service was fine on Christmas and through the holidays.

Could the January 7th thing be a "by January 7th" thing, meaning it could come back online before then, but (most likely) not after?

Erban1

I mean could this possibly have anything to do with that conference where the hackers are trying to get linux and such working on PS4. Maybe Sony is trying to curb that?

Apparently, that exploit has been patched already.

This is a terrible time to gameshare with my brother though, all i can play is 2k16 but with no connection playing mycareer is a waste

melkier33

Kind of blows, I really wanted to buy Rebel Galaxy tomarrow. It's gotta suck for developers when they think their game is going up for sale on a specific day and then nonsense like this happens.

My guess is you probably will be able to buy it, the 7th thing is more likely a giant window that can't fail to miss till they have an accurate eta.

There's nothing like a dire emergency to kickstart a proper database restructuring! Huzzah!
I will have a good laugh if the server was buckling under current architecture and they do in fact use this (planned?) downtime to enable username changes for whatever price. Hell, so many people ask for it all the time so it'd make sense?

Oh god pls yes, my name on ps is embarrassing af
Ehehehehe

I think they're merging their account system with steam. Best of both worlds.

Everything will be simplified. Just enter your username, leave your password blank and hit enter.

hohoXD123

Lol, until the 7th would be ridiculous. There goes my plan of playing rocket league...

That would be a shit excuse to take PSN down for paying customers. Unless if this is because of a DDoS attack or something else beyond their control, they better compensate users with at least free PS+ days for the duration of it being down.

Boke1879

Lol, until the 7th would be ridiculous. There goes my plan of playing rocket league...

That would be a shit excuse to take PSN down for paying customers. Unless if this is because of a DDoS attack or something else beyond their control, they better compensate users with at least free PS+ days for the duration of it being down.

The most you can expect is PS+ extended for those days. That's it. I'm expecting this to be some sort of DDos attack.

Definitely, sudden outages like this with no prior warning are unacceptable.
Not sure how many active users, but their PSN service as a whole has over 100 MILLION users. It's likely to encounter some weird issues as it grows.

Or who knows, maybe that Phantom Squad that said they were going to take down XBL and PSN finally got around to waking up from their holiday food comas and are doing their "thing".

Top Bottom