• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Sale - Sonic and Friends Anniversary Sale

RK128

Quick question, are Sonic 1 and 2 the Taxman versions?

No, they are direct ports of the emulated versions of Sonic 1 and 2 from the PS3 Genesis Collection. They are far from bad, as I found them perfectly fine, but they could be a lot better.

So, sadly, they are not the great Taxman ports that was made for iOS :(.

At the very least, the PS3 version of Sonic CD IS done my Taxman :).

Got the Adventure 2 Battle DLC (I wish the DX upgrade for Adventure 1 was also on sale), Nights and the second Toejam and Earl. Should probably get Sonic CD.

CLEEK

I have very hazy memories of Sonic Adventure.

I got it at launch with my Dreamcast, and remember it being shoddy but strangely compelling. Traded it in soon afterwards, so haven't played it in... *checks wiki* 17 years! Over the years, my memories have grown dimmer of the actual game. I think I can remember sections from it, but they might be from other games.

Time for a revisit.

Oemenia

Banned
No, they are direct ports of the emulated versions of Sonic 1 and 2 from the PS3 Genesis Collection. They are far from bad, as I found them perfectly fine, but they could be a lot better.

So, sadly, they are not the great Taxman ports that was made for iOS :(.

At the very least, the PS3 version of Sonic CD IS done my Taxman :).
This is why I was asking, Sonic CD is a fans dream come true. It looks so damn good it looks like it was made for the HD era.

paulogy

PS3 transfers of PSP titles work on Vita the same way as on PSTV, i.e. for these titles you need a PS3 for download and a Vita/PSTV that you'll play the game on. PSP titles don't allow local multiplayer on PSTV unless they would allow it on PSP anyway (divekick style). There are a few Vita titles, but no PSP ones.

Thanks, I remember this issue now. PS1 classics that support multiplayer (Twisted Metal 2, Street Fighter Alpha 3 etc.) still seem to support local multplayer on PlayStation TV, but Vita and PSP games don't (Dragon's Crown Vita, PixelJunk Shooter Vita, Tekken 6 PSP etc.) unless it is turn-based (Worms Revolution Vita), allows same controller co-op (ex: DiveKick) or was explicitly patched for it (ex: Nidhogg, Spelunky, Guacamelee).

I understand why and I get it, these games were never intended to be put onto a system with multiple controller support, but it's yet another reason why an average person getting PS TV might be inevitably disappointed when a seemingly multiplayer game is single-player only on PS TV.

Shaneus

Few questions:

Is this NA only? I'd check myself, but the Sony store is blocked at work :/ Hoping for some AU love.

Are the TJ&E games PSP/Vita compatible, or just the collection?

There was something else, but I've forgotten.

Yes, you can't buy it off the PSN Vita Store; you have to first buy the game on the PSN Web store or on the PS3 PSN Store. Once you buy the tittle, let it download to your PS3.

After that, either connect your Vita through wired cable or through wireless connection. After that, go into the Vita's Content Manager App, and connect the Vita to your PS3.

Once that is done, go into Games -> Applications -> PSP. Once that is done you will see 'Sega Genesis Collection' pop up among other PSP games you have on PS3. You simply select the game then let it download/copy over to your Vita.

With the game transferred, you disconnect the PS3 from the Vita and then you can play your game on the Vita :D.
Thanks for this post! Can it then be re-downloaded to the Vita directly or will it always need to be transferred via PS3?

Edit: Shit, Daytona's there too. Finally I can play it with FFB!

RK128

Few questions:

Is this NA only? I'd check myself, but the Sony store is blocked at work :/ Hoping for some AU love.

Are the TJ&E games PSP/Vita compatible, or just the collection?

There was something else, but I've forgotten.

Thanks for this post! Can it then be re-downloaded to the Vita directly or will it always need to be transferred via PS3?

Edit: Shit, Daytona's there too. Finally I can play it with FFB!

It can't be re-downloaded on the Vita again; you have to either re-copy it over from the PS3 or re-copy it after making a copy of the game on your PC via Content Manager.

The TJ&E games are sadly not compatible with the Vita :(.

Shaneus

It can't be re-downloaded on the Vita again; you have to either re-copy it over from the PS3 or re-copy it after making a copy of the game on your PC via Content Manager.

The TJ&E games are sadly not compatible with the Vita :(.
Ah, thanks for that!

And to follow up, from what I can tell none of these games are on sale in Europe. At least, neither Daytona nor the Mega Drive Collection were. Booooooo.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Is Nights into Dreams recommended?

Uh, someone needs to check and see if that PSP Genesis collection is Vita compatible. Last I knew, it wasn't. Unless something has changed in the last couple of months I think it's only playable on a PSP. Can anyone confirm?

EDIT: And I'm not talking about the PS3 transfer, either. It was not compatible even with that method last I knew.

RK128

Uh, someone needs to check and see if that PSP Genesis collection is Vita compatible. Last I knew, it wasn't. Unless something has changed in the last couple of months I think it's only playable on a PSP. Can anyone confirm?

EDIT: And I'm not talking about the PS3 transfer, either. It was not compatible even with that method last I knew.

I did that a while ago, but I remember downloading the collection to my PS3 and easily copying that over to my Vita.

I know the game is (I think? Not sure about this) a normal PSP tittle on the Vita PSN store in EU (where you can just download it). In the US, it isn't on the PSN store in US, leading Vita owners to use the PS3 to Vita method to get the game on the system.

Maybe your PS3 bugged out or something RadarScope? I know that sometimes the transferring process can not always work at times, so maybe that's why it didn't work for you :(.

CLEEK

It definitely works (or worked, anyway). I had this on my Vita for ages before I removed it to make space.

jholmes

Bought the Genesis collection. Really need to get on buying that fabled PSP Go I keep dreaming about now.

If you only have a PS3 and don't have a real PC or any of the Sonic compilations on the GameCube, there's some good cheap entertainment here, especially with friends. Sonic The Fighters, for example, ain't a work of art but for $2 you should have fun. The Sonic CD port on PS3 is excellent and is a must-own for anyone with any interest in platformers.

Ezalc

How long is this going to last? Is it possible to gift a psn game to somebody? Is there a 5 dollar psn card somewhere?

I'm trying to add funds to my wallet to get Daytona but something's wrong with my card. I'd only be able to check that out tomorrow though :/.

dolabla

That Sega Collection is legit awesome. I got that along with Sonic Adventure and Sonic CD.

I also may pick up Sonic Adventure 2 and Sega Bass Fishing later this week. I would get Crazy Taxi, but they removed the original soundtrack :(

Man, only being able to get SGC through PS3-to-Vita connection really bums me out. So much for all those games being on my Vita.

I whole-heartedly recommend NiGHTS, which was my favorite game ever for a really, really long time. It's a beautiful game after the re-master updated the graphics, it has endless replayability if you want to nail your high score/high links, the soundtrack is still one of the best that I've heard yet, and it's one of those games where I'll play it and forget that there is a screen 'twixt me and the game.

Marche90

I kinda want Sonic Adventure 2, but I don't want to put $5 on my psn wallet

not to mention that my controller is busted right now, and I can't even control the PS3...

Guess I'll hope for the best and wait until next Monday

SCReuter

I wonder when Sega's Daytona license expires. I would purchase Daytona USA now just in case it disappears from PSN like After Burner Climax and OutRun Online Arcade.

DSix

Banned
I can't spot the sale, where is it?

Oh fucking hell, no region in the thread title. This shit is aggravating, it needs to stop.

is sonic generations worth it?

Absolutely. It's really great.

Really disappointed in Crazy Taxi. I knew going in the soundtrack would be different, but it's got bugs that make it really bad. I'll accelerate and it will just peel out and slowly spin in a circle, as if one of the wheels is stuck on the pavement. You often get stuck in buildings/walls. It also doesn't seem to be in HD, playing it after Daytona USA, it looks terrible.

The PSP Genesis collection is legit. Save states FTW!

Top Bottom