• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN thread: PSN up in all areas except HK/Korea (Store is not up yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToyBroker

Banned
Marius_ said:
and banned

The PSN outage takes another

LOTTA bans from the PSN thread.

My buddy got banned, according to the ban message, for comparing the PSN outage to 9/11 and rape analogies...even though he quoted someone who did to condemn them. Waited a year for his account too :( Felt bad for em.

So many casualties.

That PSN store ban was justified, however.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Brannon said:
Damn, getting banned now means you probably wouldn't be able to post until after E3, right?

That would be a serious blow to my gaming habits.

Even though I'm just a junior.

ElRenoRaven

Brannon said:
Damn, getting banned now means you probably wouldn't be able to post until after E3, right?

Well in the case of Juniors it's an automatic perma ban isn't it? If so for him it's nevermore.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
PsychoRaven said:
Well in the case of Juniors it's an automatic perma ban isn't it? If so for him it's nevermore.

One question, when you get perma-banned, do you also get forbid of ever coming here again?

Neki

Juan29.zapata said:
One question, when you get perma-banned, do you also get forbid of ever coming here again?
Wouldn't be much of a permaban if you got to come back, would it?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Persona7 said:
I tried that once but it was pretty time consuming and a bunch of saves are locked

wat? Wat? WAT? WHAT!?

No. PSX files are not save locked. If they are for you, your PS3 is fucked up and you should take it out back and shoot it because it's possessed.

Unless you mean backing up everything. But you only mentioned PSX files before that, hence my reply.

... You're not serious, are you?

Persona7

Banned
TheSeks said:
wat? Wat? WAT? WHAT!?

No. PSX files are not save locked. If they are for you, your PS3 is fucked up and you should take it out back and shoot it because it's possessed.
I meant normal PS3 saves are locked, My original post got jumbled...but I was asking if you could upload PS1 saves into the cloud folder but I did some more searching and people on the internet say that only PS3 saves can be uploaded.

I already backed up my PS1 saves, I just need to wait for PSN to get back up so I can get my PS3 saves on there and format my system

ElRenoRaven

TheSeks said:
wat? Wat? WAT? WHAT!?

Unless you mean backing up everything. But you only mentioned PSX files before that, hence my reply.

I would hope he isn't. I really would hope he isn't.

Degen

Juan29.zapata said:
"perma-" comes from the english word "permanent" which comes from the latin word "permanent" which basically means "permanent"

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
TheSeks said:

I would hope he isn't. I really would hope he isn't.

No, I'm not serious at all. AT ALL. Hehe.

EDIT: Although I was asking if the site tracked the IP and prevented it from opening to the user who was banned.

I wasn't saying that if you got perma banned you could post again.

ElRenoRaven

Well it's really looking bad for us getting a freaking update. So assuming they get off their asses and give us one tomorrow which I doubt it will have been 4 days since the last update. I really don't expect an update till Monday at the earliest which would put us at 6 days between updates.

Juan29.zapata said:
No, I'm not serious at all. AT ALL. Hehe.

EDIT: Although I was asking if the site tracked the IP and prevented it from opening to the user who was banned.

I wasn't saying that if you got perma banned you could post again.

Ah. It does as long as you keep your cookies. if you clear your cookies you can view the site again though. Key point being view.

ScrubJay

I think the guy was asking if you could read the forums instead of simply being not able to post ever again.

Anyways, I was hoping for a birthday present from Sony, shame on them. Guess I'll just have to plow through Darksiders this weekend.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
PsychoRaven said:
Well it's really looking bad for us getting a freaking update. So assuming they get off their asses and give us one tomorrow which I doubt it will have been 4 days since the last update. I really don't expect an update till Monday at the earliest which would put us at 6 days between updates.

I just want to play brotherhood online T_T

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
ScrubJay said:
I think the guy was asking if you could read the forums instead of simply being not able to post ever again.

That's what I was asking.

I was actually worried about myself when people were asking if I was being serious.

Strike said:
111mj9x.gif
This gif is screaming for bish face on the guy's face (who I'm assuming is Rahm Emmanuel?)

Even though PSN will likely be up in a handful of days which would be good for all involved, a part of me wants to see a Sony E3 press conference where it PSN is still down.

Degen

has this been posted? too late; posting now:

http://gadget411news.com/sony-playstation-network-still-unsecured/0549

Experts say,even after three weeks, the security flaws in Sony’s servers which allowed for an enormous breach of personal customer data remains unfixed with the potential for another attack. The remaining vulnerabilities in the network’s security were discovered remotely in a contracted evaluation of the company’s current security effectiveness.

John Bumgarner, a network security expert, says Sony’s system is weak enough that there are potential abuses from hackers using the most basic of applications. Bumgarner works for an independent group that researches possible network security threats for both corporations and the government.

Sony would not disclose what exactly the flaws in their security were or whether active systems could be accessed, but they have already fixed a portion of the potential threats. The company claims that protecting their customers’ information is a top priority.

There are still exploits remaining in Sony’s network however, and Bumgarner has not explored more sophisticated methods of cyber attacks. He did state that the two major breaches made public by Sony seem to be the only noticeable instances of hacking.

One instance that displays a lapse in security is Sony Santa, an old gift card registry sweepstakes that collected personal information of customers which was posted online. Earlier this month Sony discovered their error and is now ensuring the information is no longer available.

Other problems have included open access to employee login information systems. Sony had mistakenly given an address of the sensitive server application to search engines. In addition, customers who played Sony games on Facebook had their personal information and IP addresses made publicly available. Sony has since fixed these exploits.

Even though Sony has claimed that security flaws were only present in PlayStation Network (PSN) and Sony Online Entertainment (SOE), a myriad of other networks seem to have issues as well. Hackers were able to use Google in order to find exploitable elements of Sony’s network which highlights dangers in connecting major data servers to the Internet.

The entire issue began when hackers contacted a Sony network administrator through email with malicious links that installed a virus on his PC. The computer was then used to attack Sony. The information of Sony IT employees was readily available through some careful Googling.

The Sony PlayStation Network is still down and Sony has not made an announcement regarding the outage since May 10th.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
a Master Ninja said:
Even though PSN will likely be up in a handful of days which would be good for all involved, a part of me wants to see a Sony E3 press conference where it PSN is still down.

There's still a chance that may happen considering the amount of communication we got this week...

UFRA

My prediction of the upcoming events:

-PSN goes back up

-Due to people having PSN withdrawals, a TON of people are logging on at the same time initially

-PSN bogs down, crashes

-Sony releases a statement saying they didn't anticipate such a significant server load and are surprised this happened

-PSN goes back into maintenance

-The madness continues

(I'm being pessimistic so that if things actually turn out well I can feel all happy and relieved when the time comes...)

eLZhi said:
So am I the only one who periodically tries to sign in whenever I'm playing a game, even though I know PSN isn't up?

It's not your fault. There is no ETA. It could be up in 2 minutes. It could be up in 2 days. It could be up in 2 months.

Maybe it's up...now!!!
*goes to check*

UFRA said:

-PSN goes back up

-Due to people having PSN withdrawals, a TON of people are logging on at the same time initially

-PSN bogs down, crashes

-Sony releases a statement saying they didn't anticipate such a significant server load and are surprised this happened

-The madness continues

(I'm being pessimistic so that if things actually turn out well I can feel all happy and relieved when the time comes...)

Well, they are switching to beefier servers and ARE anticipating more server load as well as security increases, so yes, they are preparing for it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
UFRA said:

-PSN bogs down, crashes

I hope that Sony are at least ready for that. I can accept that for a game, but for an entire gaming service? No way.

PJV3

UFRA said:

-PSN goes back up

-PSN bogs down, crashes

-The madness continues

Hopefully they bring it back in each region at 2am monday morning, and catch everyone unawares.

StuBurns

Banned
I'll be surprised if it's a seamless experience when it's restored. As long as I get time to sync my PSN and Steam accounts I won't cry.

I don't care that much about PSN, but I have to say that after that long, even if I rationally know that it will come back some day, it's hard to believe it will ever come back.

In the meantime I only play on my 360 and PC. Even though I mostly game single player, with my luck the ps3 would die while the psn (and online saves) are off.

Anyway, it would be kind of funny if it came back after every single guess from Gaf people.

StuBurns said:
I'll be surprised if it's a seamless experience when it's restored. As long as I get time to sync my PSN and Steam accounts I won't cry.
It will be a cluster you know what if psn is not right when it's back up.

ToyBroker

Banned
StuBurns said:

I won't be.

There's a reason they are putting PSN back up in phases...so it is seamless.

If everything was restored at once, it'd probably be a clusterfuck.

Turn on online gaming and friendslist/messaging/invites, then move on to the other goodies.

Snipes424

UFRA said:

-PSN goes back up

-PSN bogs down, crashes

-The madness continues

Pretty much, happens to just about every mmo in existence, so the same is going to happen to PSN most likely

sleepykyo

a Master Ninja said:

Maybe if you're really lucky, PSN will go up and then get crash an hour before Tretton's presentation. Basically one night for Jack Tretton to assemble a team, diagnose the problem, and prepare a statement.

Btw, that part of you needs to be forced to watch Gigli.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I said this earlier, unless tons of people are mass spamming, I don't seen extraordinary levels of traffic when it first goes up. I don't think I've ever noticed an outage due to high traffic. They've handled that aspect quite well. I do think it will be busy but not quite everyone logging in at the same time.

Susurrus

Persona7 said:
I tried that once but it was pretty time consuming and a bunch of saves are locked

Use the PS3 backup utility.

It takes a while if you have a lot of stuff, but you can go do something else while it is happening. Also it backs up EVERYTHING* and restores EVERYTHING* (if you're on the same PS3).

*Except trophies(?)

Susurrus said:
Use the PS3 backup utility.

It takes a while if you have a lot of stuff, but you can go do something else while it is happening. Also it backs up EVERYTHING* and restores EVERYTHING* (if you're on the same PS3).

*Except trophies(?)

Also can't forget about the cloud storage (Online Storage) as an alternate route (inc. locked saves), PS+ only but if you don't have PS+ you may as well take advantage of that feature for the first month trial once PSN is running.

Nekofrog

Banned
You know, it's funny. I haven't touched my PS3 or PSN in about a year now, and I've been following the PSN fiasco closely as it's gone on, but today I felt like playing SSF2T:HDR. Sat down and turned on the PS3 to boot it up and hop online, when I realized, at the PS3 gui, "oh."

:\

Felt pretty shitty, because despite following the outage it didn't even occur to me as I tried to play until I actually turned it on.

Persona7

Banned
jetsetfluken said:
Also can't forget about the cloud storage (Online Storage) as an alternate route (inc. locked saves), PS+ only but if you don't have PS+ you may as well take advantage of that feature for the first month trial once PSN is running.
Exactly my plan!

I was going to use the backup utility but for some reason the INfamous install on my PS3 became corrupted and will not let me delete it so I figured I might as well start fresh.

fernoca

So F***day went by (well, for some of us) and not even an update from the blog.. :p

Wait!!!
Maybe they took the day off, so they could work on Saturday and return EVERYTHING back to normal...and avoid overtime too??!!!! :O!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom