• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP a GO!?

Shouta

reilo said:
This feels like "GAF bitching about lack of functionality/ultra-expensive features and wanting it for a cheap price" moments, only for the device in question to turn out and sell in gangbusters because Sony managed to provide enough functionality for a great price.

Some people in here want 3G connectivity for a non-phone, a touchscreen, dual analog sticks that will splinter a userbase and a higher resolution screen for under $150 ffs :lol

Even the damn iPhone didn't have 3G when it first came out at $499.

For real, seriously. I mean, everyone keeps going "SECOND NUB!" but not that many games on the PSP even require a second nub. Hell, a lot of games can be played without the first nub, what's the point of a second one aside from some PS1 games.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
zoukka said:
Well the second analog nub would be great. Did Dualshock splinter the userbase?
No because Sony discontinued the regular controller when it announced the Dualshock. From that point onward, they only offered and packaged the Playstation console with a Dualshock. The PSP-original will still have only one nub. That's the difference. That's what splitting the userbase means.

Shouta said:
For real, seriously. I mean, everyone keeps going "SECOND NUB!" but not that many games on the PSP even require a second nub. Hell, a lot of games can be played without the first nub, what's the point of a second one aside from some PS1 games.
It's not as much about the second nub as it is all of these other features people are screaming for. People loved all of the extra high-tech stuff the PS3 offered, but hated the price. Now they want Sony to do the same with the PSP-Go - which is not even a next-gen PSP?

zoukka

Shouta said:

Future games?
Improved gameplay on old games?

EDIT: For god's sake people have been wanting the second nub from the early 1000-series days...

No because Sony discontinued the regular controller when it announced the Dualshock. The PSP-original will still have only one nub. That's the difference. That's what splitting the userbase means.

Do we know for sure Sony is planning to continue the manufacturing of PSP-3000 if GO is a success? What's the point?

zoukka said:
Do we know for sure Sony is planning to continue the manufacturing of PSP-3000 if GO is a success? What's the point?

They said they were on Qore. It makes sense since Digital Distribution doesn't work for everybody.

gantz85

Banned
Byakuya769 said:
price will dictate whether it's the PSP GO on and enjoy it or GO on and buy something better. Can't wait till tomorrow

... my man.

Less than 12 hours to Sony conference I believe.

reilo

zoukka said:
Future games?

That's a decision that they will have to make down the line. The big assumption here to make is this: The PSP Go will have the capability to play all of the PSP-3000 games in a DD nature. This is the key for Sony, and in my opinion something they should do in order not to split the userbase.

But as the Qore video stated in very plain English: The PSP Go is not a replacement for the PSP-3000. It is an alternative that broadens their target audience while keeping the core audience alive and well (assuming that the Go will play the same games as the PSP3000).

I'll also say this: if a second nub is a make or break point for you (plural sense you), then you weren't really serious about buying/continuing to support a PSP in the first place.

DXPetti

Banned
zoukka said:

Yeah, cos that worked for the Playstation 1. Sony are trying to streamline everything so that they can create a unified experience, 2nd nub aint going to happen no matter how much you crave it. Build bridge and move on!

gantz85

Banned
zoukka said:

To keep the PSP selling on a global basis? In markets like Japan where DD is not taking off? In other parts of Asia like Southeast Asia or China where the PSP is extremely popular but DD is non-present or the PSN market is non-existent (specifically China)?

PSP is a global business.

reilo

Byakuya769 said:
how does it broaden the target audience though

... my man?
The same way that music players became a lot more popular when you did not have to lug around multiple storage devices. It's all about accessibility.

zoukka

I know PSP is a success, no fucking doubt about it. But the fucking China? I doubt there has been a single UMD sold legally in there. And aren't the software sales shit with PSP? That's why I asked if Sony would continue making 3000-series. If GO really takes off, Sony wouldn't lose too much for abandoning the UMD:s.

But you are probably right, it would piss a few too many people off.

The PSP Go will have the capability to play all of the PSP-3000 games in a DD nature. This is the key for Sony, and in my opinion something they should do in order not to split the userbase.

I really doubt ALL games are available from the go/ever. But we'll see this in a moment.

I'll also say this: if a second nub is a make or break point for you (plural sense you), then you weren't really serious about buying/continuing to support a PSP in the first place.

I was just speculating what would make the machine more desirable for me. DSi will have DSi only games. Don't see why there couldn't have been GO only games.

KTallguy

Banned
zoukka said:
Well the second analog nub would be great. Did Dualshock splinter the userbase?

And touch screen is a must. It's the most glaring thing this machine is lacking (if it is). The slide screen will be just a poor gimmick without it and I can't even imagine how many people will buy this thing and think it will have it just by comparing it to every other product in the market that looks like it.

Poor kids who get PSP GO's and have to use them next to their spoiled friends and their Iphones... "why doesn't your toy know the tricks my does" :/

Couldn't care less for 3G, OLED or any of that shit. Just make the screen as bright as possible.

Again, the dualshock is a peripheral, not a system. People repeat this argument like they know what they are talking about. The old PSP would not be able to play any games that take advantage of any new control options. And asking developers to make two versions of a control scheme for one system is asking for trouble.

I admit that I would love a touch screen, but again, the iPhone is extremely expensive (without a monthly contract and the cost of the phone subsidized by AT&T). The original PSP screen is better quality than the iPhone, isn't it? Bigger and higher res.

People compare the PSP screen to the DS touch screen, like the visual quality is somehow in the same league.

Edit:

The DSi has two types of games:

1. Games that will detect that they are using a DSi and have "extra" camera functionality, but function as a normal DS game in a normal DS.

2. Games that are completely built around DSi spec (download only) and use the camera only. They are for download only.

Now you could say "They can add another analog stick and have download only games utilize it", but the original PSP can ALSO take advantage of those download only games (it's only limitation is memory stick space, and now that sony has abandoned the format(s), they will be cheaper.

I believe that it's in Sony's best interest not to provide download only games on a store that can be accessed from both the PSP and the PSP Go that are ONLY PSP Go compatible. But they may just do that, who knows.

reilo

zoukka said:
I was just speculating what would make the machine more desirable for me. DSi will have DSi only games. Don't see why there couldn't have been GO only games.
That's what I said... or meant rather:
The PSP Go will have the capability to play all of the PSP-3000 games in a DD nature.
Meaning, the same games offered on PSP-3000 HAVE to appear on PSP Go. The reverse is not necessarily true.

Tailzo

reilo said:
That's what I said... or meant rather:

Meaning, the same games offered on PSP-3000 HAVE to appear on PSP Go. The reverse is not necessarily true.
How come? All the old PSPs can buy PSP games from the PSN store too, right?

reilo

Tailzo said:
How come? All the old PSPs can buy PSP agmes from the PSN store too, right?
Yeah, strike that once I think about that again.

I keep forgetting that you can buy games for the PSP using Media Manager. My assumption was that Sony would offer really cheap ($5 and under) and unique mini-games of sorts for the PSP Go, but I see no reason why they shouldn't offer it for the PSP-3000, too, now that I think about it.

So, yeah, the PSP Go should really be looked at as an alternative and potentially a future replacement/direction for the PSP - and not a new generation device.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
scola said:
DS lite didnot have anonline game store.
I remember Nintendo offering DS-writeable carts which were used to download stuff, at least in Japan. Not sure if that was a failed thing, but it did exist at some point.

The camera isn't for digital photography, it's for game use.
Which is even less interesting then the picture-taking aspect - same reason why PSP camera add-on was never much use.

gantz85 said:
In other parts of Asia like Southeast Asia or China where the PSP is extremely popular but DD is non-present
As far as game industry goes, digital transactions are the main business model in those countries afaik(packaged games don't work because of piracy).

gantz85

Banned
Fafalada said:
As far as game industry goes, digital transactions are the main business model in those countries afaik(packaged games don't work because of piracy).

Digital transactions are the dominant model for PC online games in these markets, but not for console. You should know as well as I do.

Shouta

reilo said:
It's not as much about the second nub as it is all of these other features people are screaming for. People loved all of the extra high-tech stuff the PS3 offered, but hated the price. Now they want Sony to do the same with the PSP-Go - which is not even a next-gen PSP?

The nub is an example, really. Adding stuff you don't need to it, bloating it up, and then complaining about the price when you get all the features.

Fafalada said:
I remember Nintendo offering DS-writeable carts which were used to download stuff, at least in Japan. Not sure if that was a failed thing, but it did exist at some point.

It wasn't on the same level as Famicom Disk System, it was more like Play-Yan where one could get special videos on there.

zoukka

Hesemonni said:
Yes, because nowadays old games magically support new later added features. Just like Gamecube games take full advantage of wiimote and nunchuk.

Well I thought firmware/game updates could do that, but I can be wrong too.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
gantz85 said:
Digital transactions are the dominant model for PC online games in these markets, but not for console. You should know as well as I do.
Of course, but console market is largely insignificant in terms of hw and retail as well in those regions.
I think DD only PSP has as much chance of success there as any other console - possibly more, if they could price it low enough.

Ashour

I really really really hope Sony announces the PSP trophies today with allot of games supporting it that are coming out this year and it counts towards your regular PSN idea, also friend list and multiple logins on the PSP.

Zizbuka

Banned
I play my PSP more than the DS, so I guess I'm a fan. But enough with all these redesigns. I have 2 original PSPs (1 for me, 1 for my son) and 2 of the red God of War models (is that 2000? I can't keep up anymore). I have ~75 games, all on UMD.

So, I see no reason for me to be excited about this latest offering. Second nubs, touch screen, etc. don't really matter to me. I'm not gonna get all butthurt because Sony didn't cater to my wishes. Bottom line; yawn.

jax (old)

Banned
Shouta said:
The nub is an example, really. Adding stuff you don't need to it, bloating it up, and then complaining about the price when you get all the features.

you know... Reason's already been applied in this thread numerous times. But apparently despite being "having more of the functionality of a ipodtouch@16gb - and probably cheaper.... there is a crowd that SONY just cannot please or be reasoned with.

3G
2nd nub
UMD ripoff.... (never mind that PSP3000 will still be sold)
etc etc

list goes on....

Shouta

Jax said:
UMD ripoff.... (never mind that PSP3000 will still be sold)

Personally, I'd love to be able to rip my UMDs to the Go. I mean, with a proper add-on, they can tap both markets at large and get folks that may want this PSP as well.

Tailzo said:
How come? All the old PSPs can buy PSP games from the PSN store too, right?
it would take them a few seconds to add the psp version to the browser's identity string, if they don't already... plus they probably have a database of which version psp has which console id anyway. they could easily set up the PSN store on PSP to only show 'two stick' PSP games to the 3000 (or simply have a warning saying 'you need a PSP Go to play this game').

Shouta said:
Personally, I'd love to be able to rip my UMDs to the Go. I mean, with a proper add-on, they can tap both markets at large and get folks that may want this PSP as well.

Couldn't the ability to rip UMD's onto SD Pro stick duo's easily make piracy easy as well? I could put my library of hard disk games onto multiple PSP Go's!

KTallguy

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
Couldn't the ability to rip UMD's onto SD Pro stick duo's easily make piracy easy as well? I could put my library of hard disk games onto multiple PSP Go's!

There has got to be a way to send those puppies in.
I don't know how, but there's got to be a way.

Shouta

perfectchaos007 said:

Would need to figure a way to prevent sort of thing of course. I had an idea to do something about this but it'd probably only be feasible in Japan.

But anyway, I'd want the UMD and to be able to put it on the Go myself. That would totally be in favor of Sony if you put piracy aside.

KTallguy said:
There has got to be a way to send those puppies in.
I don't know how, but there's got to be a way.

Well if not then Sony is real dumb. No one is going to re-buy their PSP games. This isn't like Nintendo where we re-buy NES games to play on our Wii, this would be a case of re-buying PSP games on a PSP!!! Huge difference!

I guess Sony is thinking PSP owners wouldn't want PSP Go anyways? Because who in their right mind would buy a new PSP where you can't play the games you have for your old PSP on it?

Shouta said:
Would need to figure a way to prevent sort of thing of course. I had an idea to do something about this but it'd probably only be feasible in Japan.

But anyway, I'd want the UMD and to be able to put it on the Go myself. That would totally be in favor of Sony if you put piracy aside.

Yeah so best case scenerio is it allows UMD ripping onto the SD, while eliminating piracy. But I just can't think of a way how both can be done. Hopefully Sony has it figured out. We'll find out in like 10 hours

Talon

Shouta said:
It's been implied that there is a "solution" by a handful of sources, correct?

Perhaps a means to register a title, although that "solution" would bring the rental question up.

Talon- said:

Perhaps a means to register a title, although that "solution" would bring the rental question up.

True. Very True. yikes this doesn't look promising for the possibility of ripping my games onto the PSP Go. Very bad news for current PSP owners with a decent game library like myself.

:(

Talon- said:

The only people who've posited that there'd be a way to put one's UMD collection onto digital have been games journalists, if the fact that the only people I've heard that from that could be privy to such a development are the 1UP guys on their podcast. At this point, I'm filing it under 'pipe-dream', hanging onto my original units and waiting tomorrow to see if they tempt me out of neutrality.

Talon

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
The only people who've posited that there'd be a way to put one's UMD collection onto digital have been games journalists, if the fact that the only people I've heard that from that could be privy to such a development are the 1UP guys on their podcast. At this point, I'm filing it under 'pipe-dream', hanging onto my original units and waiting tomorrow to see if they tempt me out of neutrality.
Well, game journos tend to be the primary source of industry info for the masses until formal announcements.

In a sense I'm hopeful that there will be a solution as ignoring that problem would be silly if not flat out stupid.

Talon- said:
Well, game journos tend to be the primary source of industry info for the masses until formal announcements.

In a sense I'm hopeful that there will be a solution as ignoring that problem would be silly if not flat out stupid.

It would also be as logical as "PS2 gamers have PS2s, they don't need to play their PS2 games on a PS3." A whole other spectrum of discussion there, I know, and sorry to dig it up again, but there's precedence for this type of behavior from Sony in the interest of betterment of the hardware in the long term (we've got PS3 slim on the horizon now, and PSP will have less-stressful power consumption rates).

ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
It would also be as logical as "PS2 gamers have PS2s, they don't need to play their PS2 games on a PS3." A whole other spectrum of discussion there, I know, and sorry to dig it up again, but there's precedence for this type of behavior from Sony in the interest of betterment of the hardware in the long term (we've got PS3 slim on the horizon now, and PSP will have less-stressful power consumption rates).

I think if Sony wanted their handheld to go all digital, they should have done it with their next-gen portable or PSP2. Trying to convert to all digital on just a re-design doesn't make too much sense to me. It's kind of a slap in the face to current PSP owners like we should have waited or something. Fortunately for some people who have patience, they know to not buy either pokemon game when they come out, and just wait for the third and superior itteration. Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum etc. Sony brought this out of the blue.

perfectchaos007 said:
I think if Sony wanted their handheld to go all digital, they should have done it with their next-gen portable or PSP2. Trying to convert to all digital on just a re-design doesn't make too much sense to me.
sony's trying to make dollars, not sense!

marwan

Banned
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
This is just Sony Ericsson though, SCE product devs are probably holding onto it themselves. I hope to God they drop it as well.

i'm sure at some point they'll kill M2 all together.....MicroSD is more popular and cheaper.

jorma

is now taking requests
perfectchaos007 said:
I think if Sony wanted their handheld to go all digital, they should have done it with their next-gen portable or PSP2. Trying to convert to all digital on just a re-design doesn't make too much sense to me. It's kind of a slap in the face to current PSP owners like we should have waited or something. Fortunately for some people who have patience, they know to not buy either pokemon game when they come out, and just wait for the third and superior itteration. Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum etc. Sony brought this out of the blue.

Just dont buy the re-designed psp. Stay with the UMD one. Problem solved.

gantz85

Banned
Fafalada said:
Of course, but console market is largely insignificant in terms of hw and retail as well in those regions.
I think DD only PSP has as much chance of success there as any other console - possibly more, if they could price it low enough.

I don't think that's the key factor. The key factors are whether they can promote DD games well enough like online PC games are, and also establishing a prepaid card system at retail. Basically, BRING PSN CARDS TO RETAIL. That's how most of the industry is driven in Asia, by prepaid cards.

tanod

when is my burrito
Tailzo said:
I don't get the wish for a touchscreen, as long as the psp go wasn't meant as a successor to the psp. A "real PSP2" could change things up quite a lot more, but the current?

Better web browsing, virtual keyboard and better media controls when in closed/media mode.

The benefits of a touchscreen are absolutely clear.

hiryu

I'm definitely getting one of these. I think the system looks pretty nice and I love the idea of a fully digital distribution hand held. It's the reason I love my iPhone so much. Hopefully they start adding a bunch of small games to the PSN store like the iPhone store.

No way I'll get rid of my original PSP with cfw though.

perfectchaos007 said:

Are you fucking serious? As opposed to what, being an EARLY ADOPTER like you are now? :lol :lol :lol

Note to Sony: Don't release a redesign of your handheld MORE THAN 4 YEARS after it comes out. Its too soon and will result in nerd rage.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
The slap to the face comment is how it seems like Sony is treating the hardcore market of the PSP fanbase. It really does seem unfair that the ones who supported the platform the most, are the ones who are the least eligible for this new iteration of PSP, since they have to rebuy everything if they want to move their collection over. Of course, this is all under the assumption that UMD transfer to the Go isn't an option.

spindoc said:
The slap to the face comment is how it seems like Sony is treating the hardcore market of the PSP fanbase. It really does seem unfair that the ones who supported the platform the most, are the ones who are the least eligible for this new iteration of PSP, since they have to rebuy everything if they want to move their collection over. Of course, this is all under the assumption that UMD transfer to the Go isn't an option.

So what do you want them to do? At some point a line in the sand has to be drawn if they're going to move to DD. The fact that they will have a disc-based PSP on the market concurrently pretty much invalidates your point about being treated badly. What benefit is it to you if they didn't release a DD-based PSP? They'd just have the 3000 out there, instead of the 3000 and Go.

Honestly, why don't you examine what it is exactly that you're mad about.

gantz85

Banned
spindoc said:

Hold your horses guys.

Has this actually been confirmed? Where is this coming from?

Top Bottom