• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP a GO!?

spwolf

gantz85 said:
Hold your horses guys.

Has this actually been confirmed? Where is this coming from?

dont worry, even if sony made that work, and also added touch screen and 2nd nub, same people would still complain about something else... where is my fucking OLED screen sony? Where is waggle like in your phones? Smart OS? :D

Sage00

Once And Future Member
gantz85 said:
So, all of this "slap in the face" and all of this rage,

they're all hypothetical rage right?

:lol :lol :lol :lol
There's no possible way they could allow you to transfer your UMDs over, so it's not really hypothetical.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
pseudocaesar said:
Is the internal memory enlargable? Whats the deal with that? How much storage does it have..
16GB internal flash memory. It has a memory stick micro slot if you want to add more.

gantz85

Banned
Sage00 said:
There's no possible way they could allow you to transfer your UMDs over, so it's not really hypothetical.

Why not setup a system with Gamestop where, if they trade in their UMDs, you get a download ticket?

OMIGAWDS DEED EYE JUZ TINK OF A SOLUTIONS!?!

Seriously dude, you don't know shit.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
gantz85 said:
Why not setup a system with Gamestop where, if they trade in their UMDs, you get a download ticket?

OMIGAWDS DEED EYE JUZ TINK OF A SOLUTIONS!?!

Seriously dude, you don't know shit.
Wait, no, you're right. It's not like they rely on the used games market or anything to make money, so they should do that!

I don't know shit? :p

Tobor

So once Sony announces you need to keep your old PSP's if you want to play UMD's, do the bulk of you move on with your lives or commit Seppuku in disgust?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Tobor said:
So once Sony announces you need to keep your old PSP's if you want to play UMD's, do the bulk of you move on with your lives or commit Seppuku in disgust?
They're not going to "announce" it because it's common sense, lol.

spwolf

Sage00 said:
They're not going to "announce" it because it's common sense, lol.

unless they invent some crazy scheme where it will cost them millions to replace those umd's... but it is Sony, it wouldnt be beyond them :D

andycapps

Fight on, console warriors. Fight on.

PSP Go looks really cool.. I'm loving the look of it and wanting to see more about interface, cost, and the deal with older PSP games on UMD as far as if there's a solution to that other than keeping my old PSP phat.

What are the chances of a 3000 "refresh" / 4000

They'll probably need to change the box to bring it more inline with the slim and go, and maybe give it a subtitle (PSP Drive... get it? it has an umd drive...)

Why not throw bluetooth in and maybe whatever minor updates they can manage and call it a day - seems like plenty of gaffers have money burning a hole in their wallet, might as well give them an updated umd option psp as well! If the bluetooth => controller rumor are true then thats even more reason to do it

Personally, I like the current form of my psp... but want wireless headphones. Decisions decisions

Ideally I'd get the current shape scaled down for the smaller screen and with no umd

Sage00

Once And Future Member
HamPster PamPster said:

They'll probably need to change the box to bring it more inline with the slim and go, and maybe give it a subtitle (PSP Drive... get it? it has an umd drive...)

Why not throw bluetooth in and maybe whatever minor updates they can manage and call it a day - seems like plenty of gaffers have money burning a hole in their wallet, might as well give them an updated umd option psp as well! If the bluetooth => controller rumor are true then thats even more reason to do it

Personally, I like the current form of my psp... but want wireless headphones. Decisions decisions

Ideally I'd get the current shape scaled down for the smaller screen and with no umd
The PSP Go is supposed to be the "premium" option, it has more features and a higher price. They won't be adding anything to the 3000 I don't think, they need to differentiate them.. maybe they'll even drop the price on it.

Tobor

HamPster PamPster said:

Seems like a waste of money when they will most likely phase out the 3000 in a year or two.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
gantz85 said:
Hold your horses guys.

Has this actually been confirmed? Where is this coming from?
Not confirmed, but I don't think there's a way for them to legally let you transfer UMD games to a flash memory. If they allow that, there's nothing they can do to prevent people from renting/borrowing the game and then copying it to PSPGo memory. Really nothing short of having to have the UMD game sitting in the drive X360 install-style, which with PSP Go would be impossible.

andycapps

Lord Error said:
Not confirmed, but I don't think there's a way for them to legally let you transfer UMD games to a flash memory. If they allow that, there's nothing they can do to prevent people from renting/borrowing the game and then copying it to PSPGo memory. Really nothing short of having to have the UMD game sitting in the drive X360 install-style, which with PSP Go would be impossible.

What if you had to put the disc in some kind of adapter after a set period of time to prove you still owned it? Maybe every 7 days or something.. There's got to be other ways of them verifying that you own it. We'll see how it works in a few hours, but it doesn't make sense to me how Sony would segment their audience with the old games that are only available on UMD, and then they release a platform that if they want people to double-dip, they'd also have to double-dip on their games. That doesn't seem right, but we'll see in a bit how it works.

Tailzo

If PSP go has no official way of playing UMD games, wouldn't modders go crazy on the thing? Like making external drives out of old psp models? I wouldn't be too surprised :)

Tntnnbltn

Tailzo said:
If PSP go has no official way of playing UMD games, wouldn't modders go crazy on the thing? Like making external drives out of old psp models? I wouldn't be too surprised :)
Why would they bother when they could just use... you know.. an old psp model?

aoi tsuki

i figured it would be about $230, so i'm not too shocked to see it at $250. It's a new, smaller, premium device. i really don't know what people expected it to be priced at.

How much does the PSP 3000 run for? They should have just made it a PSP 2, 2nd stick and backwards compatible with the older of library of games you can rebuy/transfer and the price point would be fine.

Evander

"industry expert"
spwolf said:
dont worry, even if sony made that work, and also added touch screen and 2nd nub, same people would still complain about something else... where is my fucking OLED screen sony? Where is waggle like in your phones? Smart OS? :D

Actually...

(I'm thinking mostly about remote play application here. Trying to play Lair over remote play was interesting)

Evander

"industry expert"
aoi tsuki said:
i figured it would be about $230, so i'm not too shocked to see it at $250. It's a new, smaller, premium device. i really don't know what people expected it to be priced at.

The 3000 is $170, and can do more things. Putting out a more expensive device that does less is not a very good idea. Putting it out alongside the first device is basically asking to fail.

The PSP 3000 can do everything that the PSP Go! can do, and more. You may have to use a usb cable to connect it to your PS3, instead of bluetooth, but I doubt that folks really want to give the option to EVER play a UMD game and also pay $80 extra just for bluetooth, when they could just get a really long usb cable for a couple of bucks.

Raistlin

Evander said:
Actually...

(I'm thinking mostly about remote play application here. Trying to play Lair over remote play was interesting)

The failure here is that you were trying to play Lair.

Evander said:
The 3000 is $170, and can do more things. Putting out a more expensive device that does less is not a very good idea. Putting it out alongside the first device is basically asking to fail.

I just love how you cite one thing that the PSPgo is deficient at, without mentioning any of the improvements it has. Your trolling is ... delicious.

Top Bottom