• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR Sells more than 2 million units

fvng

The first kinect sold 8 million in its first 60 days.

Granted it was half the price, but it does put things into perspective.

It also had shitty novelty that didn't keep anyone's attention for more than a week. VR is transformative tech

The first kinect sold 8 million in its first 60 days.

Granted it was half the price, but it does put things into perspective.

The Virtua Boy sold only 770,000 units total.

What I'm saying is your comparison has no correlation. You're taking a random peripheral from the near past and comparing it to a completely different technology. Kinect was cheap and advertised for non-gamers. It's a casual throw away device. VR isn't that, it takes one minute to find that some of the smartest people in the business are interested and working on VR. Some of you seem too young to see what an emerging technology looks like, that or you're just not paying attention.

Also, research your pricing. PSVR was 400 dollars for a long time, just now is it 300 bucks for the bundle. So no, not close to half price.

Grinchy

Banned
Nice to see things are going well. The PSVR is an awesome piece of tech, despite its list of flaws. I couldn't be more excited about the future of gaming when I play VR games.

astroglide

That just seems so bad to me. Not just for psvr but for vr in general. If it's the best selling one and it's sold so little it j7st proves more for me that vr isn't going anywhere

I'll prob jump in next Black Friday...to either the PSVR + PS4 Pro if theres a discounted bundle...or the Oculus. I prefer the Vive over both, but surprisingly Valve/HTC dont seem to be making it price competitive.

BANGS

Banned
Getting ports, no AAA VR experience, Have you actually played anything on PSVR? and do you even know what games are available on it?

EDIT - Ahhh, after seeing above i see you're just in the thread to troll.

Yes I've played quite a bit of VR, on PSVR and Oculus. Please stop that tired trend of calling everyone who disagrees with you a troll. It just makes you yourself a troll not worth responding too...

LostDonkey

Considering the Vita sold an estimated 10-15 million in 6 years and they killed that off before that time, it doesn't look great.

They need to bite the bullet and lower the price more to get people on board for me.

It's still way too expensive.

n0razi

I enjoyed mine honestly more than the Rift (mostly due to comfort and content) but ended up selling it as it was a hassle to deal with all the wires.

Commander Keen

Neo Member
And an accessory that can't really be shown off without hands on, at that.
Totally understand that now that my friend let me borrow his whole setup.....besides my PS4Pro. The sense of scale and depth is pretty spectacular. My only real problem with it is the resolution. Even playing on the Pro it’s not very crisp. But the immersion is pretty incredible.

So when PS5 inevitably drops

will we all have to buy new VR headsets or will it be compatible with the new hardware? (and possibly make greater use of it?)

DjRalford

will we all have to buy new VR headsets or will it be compatible with the new hardware? (and possibly make greater use of it?)

I would like to think Sony would carry over the use of the headset, when i played Elite on my PC using the PSVR headset the image is very sharp in comparison, no reason why this should'nt be the case for a PS5.

MultiCore

I'd expect a new platform, if they feel there's momentum enough to continue their VR support.

Backward compatibility should be easy/feasible, but I wouldn't bet on it. Especially if they switch to better tracking methods, which are unfortunately sorely needed.

MultiCore

They would be insane not to completely overhaul the tracking system with a PSVR2 for the PS5.

Yeah, based on accuracy, freedom of movement/placement and cost, I'd expect lighthouse style tracking. If they don't develop their own, I bet they straight-up license Valve's.

If they do that, and a 120hz 4k screen for each eye, they'll have a headset that would last a long time.
They need to keep the RGB subpixel structure though.

Top Bottom