• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR will pass through 4K but not HDR to your 4KTV

I bought the IBIS switch and it only works with HDMI certified cables. I was happy until I started having random blackouts while playing. Anyone else having this issue with the switch? I checked all my connections and that's not the issue.

Stike

HALP!

Who managed to get a clear, error free signal with more than one HDMI cable between the Pro and the 4k TV?

I bought kinda expensive cables that can handle the load, but as soon as I introduce two cables with a coupler or the HDMI splitter I mentioned earlier, I get errors like flashing pixels and sound dropouts!

Now I am researching how I can do the coupler/splitter/switch solution without any image errors...

RuhRo

HALP!

Who managed to get a clear, error free signal with more than one HDMI cable between the Pro and the 4k TV?

I bought kinda expensive cables that can handle the load, but as soon as I introduce two cables with a coupler or the HDMI splitter I mentioned earlier, I get errors like flashing pixels and sound dropouts!

Now I am researching how I can do the coupler/splitter/switch solution without any image errors...

No issues with the 'coupler and two cables' set up here.

I found the solution. It seems even the certified HDMI cables from Monoprice weren't good enough. I had to swap out that HDMI cable with the one that came with the PSVR [from the PS4 Pro to the switch] and I haven't had a drop out since.

For what it is worth I've gone through 2 Sewell IBIS switches from Amazon. The first one would pass 4K HDR but it would introduce dropouts and spotty corruption during games. The second one (replacement, same 'item' ordered) wouldn't pass HDR period.

This includes hours of me swapping multiple quality HDMI cables (all support 4K HDR as the only cable in the path). I don't know if between the switch and the AVR there is too much degradation but after two orders and attempts I'm done with this product.

Looks like it may somewhat be luck of the draw? Congrats to those who can get it to work.

Must same I am BEYOND disappointed that Sony is putting people who dropped nearly $1000 on their products (PS Pro and PS VR) within a month into this predicament, terrible communication within their teams it seems. Have they made any comment at all on the situation?

It is too bad too, the Pro improvements to PS VR games is noticeable.

Ocaso

For what it is worth I've gone through 2 Sewell IBIS switches from Amazon. The first one would pass 4K HDR but it would introduce dropouts and spotty corruption during games. The second one (replacement, same 'item' ordered) wouldn't pass HDR period.

This includes hours of me swapping multiple quality HDMI cables (all support 4K HDR as the only cable in the path). I don't know if between the switch and the AVR there is too much degradation but after two orders and attempts I'm done with this product.

Looks like it may somewhat be luck of the draw? Congrats to those who can get it to work.

Must same I am BEYOND disappointed that Sony is putting people who dropped nearly $1000 on their products (PS Pro and PS VR) within a month into this predicament, terrible communication within their teams it seems. Have they made any comment at all on the situation?

It is too bad too, the Pro improvements to PS VR games is noticeable.

I cannot agree more. I think the only reasons this gets so little attention is that many aren't even aware that HDR isn't being passed because they don't have TVs that support it. This is a ridiculous oversight regardless.

Flandy

I cannot agree more. I think the only reasons this gets so little attention is that many aren't even aware that HDR isn't being passed because they don't have TVs that support it. This is a ridiculous oversight regardless.

I remember someone from digital foundry saying it effects you even if you don't use HDR too. It compresses the color so you get banding even when the psvr unit isn't being used

I remember someone from digital foundry saying it effects you even if you don't use HDR too. It compresses the color so you get banding even when the psvr unit isn't being used
Its not that it's compressing the video; it's the fact that it won't pass through Deep Color either. Your TV needs to support that too which is different than HDR but has also been around for awhile so it's pretty common.

Does the PSVR box pass through HDCP2.2?
I know it's not really needed and a lot of people disable it but as I was moving things around tonight and I looked at the video description in the PS4 and it was displaying no HDR (as expected) and HDCP1.4.

Both cables are HDMI 2.0 - PRO <2.0> VR BOX <2.0>TV.

nadozza

Does the PSVR box pass through HDCP2.2?
I know it's not really needed and a lot of people disable it but as I was moving things around tonight and I looked at the video description in the PS4 and it was displaying no HDR (as expected) and HDCP1.4.

Both cables are HDMI 2.0 - PRO <2.0> VR BOX <2.0>TV.

No, it doesn't. Only passes 1.4

dgco86

No luck with a coupler I found locally in Singapore unfortunately. I keep getting screen blackouts while playing in HDR. Removing the coupler from the chain seems to have eliminated the problem completely.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Getting behind my PS4 is such a pain in the ass.

What an inconvenience this has been every time I want to play VR.

Stike

I failed.

This whole splitter idea DOES NOT WORK.

My PS4 told me this when I set it up with the splitter and VR with a screen that requires a DIRECT connection between PS4 and the PU. As soon as the splitter is connected in between, it refuses to work.

Back to the coupler solution...

Peltz

It's amazing to me that Sony has not offered any sort of redesign/replacement program. How are gamers not tweeting at them incessantly to fix this? It's clearly a design-flaw in their ecosystem and we shouldn't have to jump through so many hoops just to access a much touted feature in Playstation hardware.

I think it should really be on them to address the issue.

Looking around here and Reddit I bookmarked a few items that people say worked for getting HDR to work a little painlessly than having to do a full cable swap on the back of their PS4 PRO/Breakout Box.

2 out of the 3 still require cable swaps but you are not unplugging anything from the actual units. So these are on the way, should arrive tomorrow. I will see what happens and let ya'll know.

Cable Matters 2-Pack High Speed HDMI Extension Cable with Ethernet 1.5 Feet - 3D and 4K Resolution Ready

HTTX HDMI Adapter Female to Female, Gold Plated High Speed HDMI Female Coupler 3D&4K Resolution (2-Pack)

HDMI 2.0 Ultra HD 4Kx2K/60Hz HDMI Switch| HDMI 2 Ports Bi-direction Manual Switch | HDMI Bi-directional 2x1 or 1x2 A-B / AB Switcher

Wow, does this one really work properly? For $16 I'd definitely want this. Gonna keep an eye on this thread to see if it works for you.

I'll be getting it today. One of the guys who made a VR game (VEV) posted about it in the VR thread. So I bookmarked it and said its worth a shot.

I find myself playing the PSVR less due to this :/

Funny..I find myself caring less and less about HDR because of this!

Grinchy

Banned

It is quite the barrier. There's already a decent amount of set up to do when you just want to jump into some VR on a whim. Having to reach back and swap a cable that always seems to be turned the wrong way the first time does make me think twice.

It is quite the barrier. There's already a decent amount of set up to do when you just want to jump into some VR on a whim. Having to reach back and swap a cable that always seems to be turned the wrong way the first time does make me think twice.

Whats funny to me is I didn't anticipate it bothering me as much as it does.
Its not like I am swapping them every day..I leave my VR hooked up almost all the time. But when I bought FF XV and was ready to see how the HDR looked I spent 3 fucking minutes trying to blindly plug the TV HDMI into the back on PS4 PRO. That's when I went ahead and ordered all that shit.

Final Fantasy XV is what has kept me from going back to VR. I switched cables for that sweet HDR and now I don't want to go back.

Flandy

Looking around here and Reddit I bookmarked a few items that people say worked for getting HDR to work a little painlessly than having to do a full cable swap on the back of their PS4 PRO/Breakout Box.

2 out of the 3 still require cable swaps but you are not unplugging anything from the actual units. So these are on the way, should arrive tomorrow. I will see what happens and let ya'll know.

Cable Matters 2-Pack High Speed HDMI Extension Cable with Ethernet 1.5 Feet - 3D and 4K Resolution Ready

HTTX HDMI Adapter Female to Female, Gold Plated High Speed HDMI Female Coupler 3D&4K Resolution (2-Pack)

HDMI 2.0 Ultra HD 4Kx2K/60Hz HDMI Switch| HDMI 2 Ports Bi-direction Manual Switch | HDMI Bi-directional 2x1 or 1x2 A-B / AB Switcher

Have you tried the 3rd one out yet?

FireCloud

Well, I hadn't been playing PSVR since I got my new 4K HDR TV two weeks ago. I've been busy trying out FFXV and Infamous First Light.

But the whole time I'm thinking of what a waste it is not be be using PSVR and what a pain it is to have to swap cables to re-enable PSVR. I'm the kind of person who will end up playing whatever disk is in the PS4 rather than getting up and swapping disks....so unplugging the PSVR breakout box and re-routing the HDMI cables were a pretty big hurdle for me.

I took some time today and setup PSVR again. Now I don't know if it will affect me going back and enjoying those games I'd been playing with HDR.

Such a pain...

Grinchy

Banned
Well, I hadn't been playing PSVR since I got my new 4K HDR TV two weeks ago. I've been busy trying out FFXV and Infamous First Light.

But the whole time I'm thinking of what a waste it is not be be using PSVR and what a pain it is to have to swap cables to re-enable PSVR. I'm the kind of person who will end up playing whatever disk is in the PS4 rather than getting up and swapping disks....so unplugging the PSVR breakout box and re-routing the HDMI cables were a pretty big hurdle for me.

I took some time today and setup PSVR again. Now I don't know if it will affect me going back and enjoying those games I'd been playing with HDR.

Such a pain...
In the meantime, you can just have 2 HDMI slots taken up on your TV so that your VR setup and HDR are on different TV inputs. Then you just swap the HDMI cable that's connected to your PS4. No need to touch the breakout box in that case.

But it's still incredibly annoying and I hope the switch works.

Shadoken

Let us know how the 3rd one works out.

Sorry if already asked (or dumb) but: any chance we get a firmware update that allows HDR getting through?

Nope. It is a physical problem , since the HDMI pass through in the PS VR is not HDCP 2.2.

Quoting myself here..

That HDMI 2 Port Box ALMOST worked.
HDMI OUT of PS4 <> HDMI IN of HDMI SWITCH
HDMI IN to TV (Direct) <> HDMI OUT of HDMI SWITCH
HDMI IN to PSVR (then through AVR to TV) <> HDMI OUT of SWITCH

The connection directly to the TV flat out didnt work. Tried it on both SWITCH PORTS and different HDMI CABLES on both ends. I got a signal to the TV once..can't even tell you the sequence of events but I was doing a lot of rebooting, replugging and re dip switching...that signal was LOCKED at 1080p. No option to change to 4k, greyed out.

The connection to the PSVR worked with some tinkering. When I switch to that OUTPUT I have to unplug/replug the PS4 HDMI cable from the HDMI SWITCH. Few seconds later and what you expect to see on the TV is there. 4k YUV, No HDR, HDCP 1.4

It's a cool little device and it's the cleanest option in terms of cabling I just with I could get the OUT to the TV to work. I might mess it more over the weekend.

Otherwise...those HDMI couplers and Male to Female Cables worked PERFECTLY. Any combination I used them gave me perfect results. When its just the PRO and my TV its 4K RGB HDR HDCP 2.2. HDR works (tested with The Witness), no issues on the screen. When its PRO TO VR TO TV (no AVR) everything works in and out of the headset.

Really don't like juggling these wires but to switch between VR and NO VR took me 5 seconds and I never have to touch the ports on the Breakout Box or the PRO. Current setup:

HDMI PORTS:
TV = HDMI 2.0 Cable
PRO = Female Extension Cable
VR BREAK OUT "HDMI to TV" = HDMI 2.0 Cable w/COUPLER
VR BREAK OUT "HDMI to PS4" = HDMI 2.0 Cable

HDR SETUP:
TV HDMI 2.0 Cable <> PRO Female Extension Cable

VR SETUP:
TV HDMI 2.0 Cable <> VR TV HDMI 2.0 Cable w/COUPLER
VR PS4 HDMI 2.0 Cable <> PRO Female Extension Cable

Then for sound I just use ARC or the Optical out of the TV to the AVR and in case I see any lip sync issues I also have an Optical out of the Pro, directly to the AVR.

-EDIT-
Just changed my setup slightly. Removed the Coupler from VR HDMI to TV connection.
Replaced with a second Female Extension Cable. Everything still works!

Grinchy

Banned
That sucks that the switch doesn't work properly. I guess i'll just do the extension cable idea. That at least takes out the need to lurch awkwardly over the console while failing to get the HDMI cable to go into the slot you can't see.

I don't have a Pro, but I do have a HDR TV, but I haven't even bothered to change the cabling around to enable HDR.

Really only interested in a confirmed switch solution.

This whole situation is an embarrassing mess.

Grinchy

Banned
I ended up getting this HDMI extension cable to solve the issue of having to reach behind the PS4 to swap cables. It has worked just fine for me so far. I made sure HDR worked with it and had no issues and VR has worked just fine too. It's way, way easier to swap the cables on this than it is to reach behind the system and not even be able to see the port.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I ended up getting this HDMI extension cable to solve the issue of having to reach behind the PS4 to swap cables. It has worked just fine for me so far. I made sure HDR worked with it and had no issues and VR has worked just fine too. It's way, way easier to swap the cables on this than it is to reach behind the system and not even be able to see the port.

Hmmm.... god, but even more cables. I'll never win this battle.

Aske

Ordered the Monoprice certified cables and Sewell IBIS. Crossing my fingers.

Haven't had enough time to test it thoroughly, but I can confirm this switch and these cables are passing clean signals from my PS4 and VR box to my TV's inputs.

I still need to test it with HDR and don't currently have any HDR PS4 games, so jury's still out on that for me. But if nothing else, it looks like I have a good switch. Will still upgrade my VR breakout box as soon as Sony releases one that's compatible with HDR, if for no other reason than to reclaim an HDMI input, but hopefully this will do in the interim.

Will update once I've used the setup for some extended PSVR and regular gaming sessions.

Edit: Never mind. Remembered Infamous: First Light was now HDR compatible, so I figured I'd test it. Now the switch isn't working at all. Couldn't get even get to the PS4 menu screen on either input. No amount of switching and device-power-order-changing seems to work now. Failure.

Yama

Any responses via Twitter thus far? We could also try the official support forums, that's worked for groups of us in the past. The more we speak, it'll eventually be addressed. Definitely need to make our voices heard. Realistically I'm enjoying the VR and my HDR, it's a minor gripe though it should be fixed sooner than later. We just need to apply the pressure. A replacement program for the unit is what's needed here.

psyence

Neo Member
Just wanted to post my results. The Sewell IBIS passive bi-directional switch indeed works for me. The funny thing is, I thought it didn't work until I tried several different cables. First, I tried the 3ft FARSTRIDER 24AWG super think premium hdmi 2.0 cables. They caused the screen to flicker. Then, I tried the 3ft AmazonBasic High Speed cable with stickers on the connector (purchased in mid 2016). They completely failed, no picture at all. Lastly, I hooked up the 3ft AmazonBasic High Speed cable with no stickers (purchased in Nov 2016). They seem to work so far. Played some FFXV and I was getting the "HDR video is playing" message from my TV. Watched about 10 hours of Mad Men and have yet to see any abnormalities.

So the definitive answer is: yes, it is confirmed to work, but YMMV depending on the cables.
I'd suggest getting the ones that are certified for 18Gbps.

16BitNova

Sorry about the bump. But, I just got PSVR. And I've had the pro. So I have the main HDMI going from my TV to my PSVR power unit now instead of to the PS4Pro. If i want HDR, I just unplug it from the Power Unit and back to my PS4Pro right? No need to unplug tge USB from the Power Unit or anything?

Sorry about the bump. But, I just got PSVR. And I've had the pro. So I have the main HDMI going from my TV to my PSVR power unit now instead of to the PS4Pro. If i want HDR, I just unplug it from the Power Unit and back to my PS4Pro right?

Yep. That's one way to do it.

Top Bottom