• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG dev Bluehole concerned over Fortnite's Battle Royale [Up: Background Both Sides]

They did not. The Culling and other Battle Royale games existed before PUGB.

I've played PUGB, not a lot of course so I may be missing something, but if you think what you say is true tell me what that game is doing that is so unique no other shooter in the market has done in some shape or form.

Other than the game being a success and being good at what it does, it does nothing so special no one else has done before.

Outside of the culling they were all directed by Player Unknown. It does things better in an iterative process, where the whole is more than the sum of it;s parts.

Justified

Playerunknown was the mind behind the original Arma 3 BR mode.

Would say the same to anyone in here claiming that PUBG is a blatant shameless ripoff of H1Z1 king of the hill.

"The mind behind" and owning the rights/license to are completely different things.

Toe-Knee

Its a good job epic have their own launcher otherwise they would probably be getting review bombed here.

I have no side in this fight but isn't pubg just survival mode from any third person shooter from the last decade but bigger?

Damn nice these are awesome ima try learn from these since I suck lol

Heh. Well, in the first clip, I was just building myself a small fort to hide in with a ramp so I can see over the top. I use that to snipe people from a relatively safe location. I saw another fort so I pulled out a rocket launcher that I found from someone I killed and I went to town. After I completely destroyed the fort, I saw the guy and went for the kill.

In the last clip, my fort was just outside the circle so I had to leave but didn't have materials left to build another. The other guy destroyed my cover (including the tree) so the only thing I could do was get a headshot to win.

My favorite way to kill someone though has to be shooting stairs out from under them :)

I wonder why my recordings are so choppy. Maybe I need to sync my in-game framerate with my recording framerate? I'm playing at 90-100 FPS but recording 30. Not sure if that's an issue with Shadowplay or not.

Cels

bluehole was started in part by ncsoft former employees who took actual source code from lineage 3 and used it to make TERA. and now they're whining that another developer is making a similar game to their smash hit game PUB because that other developer collaborated with them on certain engine customizations?

i'd be more sympathetic if they can show somewhere that source code developed by bluehole was stolen for use in fortnite battle royale

mcrommert

Banned
Sure, but keep that shit private. Why make a statement knowing damn well you can't do anything? It just comes off as salty and like many have said that they fear someone is taking their lunch.

I mean shit. What will they say if MS decides to make a BR style game?

I don't disagree...was mainly remarking upon the glee this forum seems to have surrounding this

Bluehole should never have said anything and taken their lumps...their game is still much more about precision shooting and the fortnite version is more about building defenses

EDIT: The one thing they may have recourse on is their game's name being used to sell another game (something they allege in their press release)

BT-727

Neo Member
Eh. FWIW, this went out as a mass email to everyone on Bluehole's press list a few hours ago.

Here's the thing in its entirety.

BLUEHOLE INC. - CREATORS OF PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS - RESPONDS TO COMMUNITY CONCERN SURROUNDING FORTNITE’S BATTLE ROYALE MODE

Bluehole, Inc., developers of PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS (PUBG), the first standalone Battle Royale survival shooter game, responded today to growing concerns regarding the similarities between the battle royale mode in Epic Games’ newly revealed Fortnite and PUBG.

“We’ve had an ongoing relationship with Epic Games throughout PUBG’s development as they are the creators of UE4, the engine we licensed for the game,” said Chang Han Kim, Vice President and Executive Producer for Bluehole, Inc. “After listening to the growing feedback from our community and reviewing the gameplay for ourselves, we are concerned that Fortnite may be replicating the experience for which PUBG is known.”

The development team for PUBG has no relationship to Fortnite’s development as concerns around User Interface (UI), gameplay and structural replication in the battle royale mode exist.

“We have also noticed that Epic Games references PUBG in the promotion of Fortnite to their community and in communications with the press,” Chang Han Kim continues. “This was never discussed with us and we don’t feel that it’s right.”

With its release on March 23, 2017, PLAYERUNKNOWN’S BATTLEGROUNDS is a last man standing shooter that drops players on a realistic 8 x 8 km island where they start with nothing in an ever diminishing field of play. Gamers must fight to locate weapons, vehicles and supplies as they strive to be the lone survivor.

In a recent Reddit AMA (e.g. Ask Me Anything) session, Brendan Greene (aka PLAYERUKNOWN) was asked about other companies replicating the Battle Royale experience:

“Other companies will, of course, enter the marketplace, but I would just hope they put their own spin on the game mode and not just make a carbon copy!”

Chang Han Kim closed, “The PUBG community has and continues to provide evidence of the many similarities as we contemplate further action.”

barit

Okay this is neat from Epic. I would rather play Fortnite for free on consoles now than paying 30 bucks later for PUBG just to see what all the hype around Battle Royal games is about. And to be honest it looks a little more fun than PUBG at least to me.

yeah this is a losing argument for Bluehole. What is even funny is that they state that a the game was inspired by the movie "Battle Royale" and mention it as a "Battle Royale" game (capitalized as a title). While it isn't a game, it is funny they are doing the same thing that they are complaining about Epic doing referencing them.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The whining from the devs and some of the more embarrassing neogaf posters in this thread has been hilarious.

Welcome to competition.

JDB

Banned
I think it's interesting that Arma has been a big part of the origin of two big new (sub)genres with Survival and Battle Royale games.

jayu26

Legal drama! My favorite kind of drama. Impression I am getting from this thread is that none of what Bluehole's argument would hold up in court, is that correct?

They definitely stand to lose out on PS4 player base (maybe even Xbox player base) by coming to that console much later, so I understand why they would be upset.
I think it's interesting that Arma has been a big part of the origin of two big new (sub)genres with Survival and Battle Royale games.
You can take this one step further and recognize the huge influence mods have had in game design, game features and creating new genres altogether. I mean two biggest thing on Steam currently, PUBG and DOTA, have their origins in mods.

Player Unknown sweating?

Battlegrounds itself it a iterative game of previous mods and games so they don't have a leg to stand on legally. Maybe they just want to toss shit and make fortnight look bad?

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
You know what is really going to piss off Blueballs? When Epic releases the engine work they did to help them in one of the free development versions of UE4 (likely 4.19 or 4.20), and it becomes stupid easy for indie devs using UE4 to make a BR with good net code.

Just wait Bluehole, PodrickUdans Battle Guantlet is on its way, and I hope you cry about it.

Gator86

And to be honest, if some of the big boys wants to do it right. It's actually not that hard to make a way better version of PUBG....

Honestly, I haven't played PUBG since I'm sans PC, but from all the streams and gameplay I've seen, PUBG kind of seems like a jank mess. I'm excited to see what these other devs do with the framework.

I'm looking forward to the game that is PUBG but slightly more action focused and less camp focused. Like give me the exact same game but scoring is tweaked to prioritize killing above all else.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You know what is really going to piss off Blueballs? When Epic releases the engine work they did to help them in one of the free development versions of UE4 (likely 4.19 or 4.20), and it becomes stupid easy for indie devs using UE4 to make a BR with good net code.

Just wait Bluehole, PodrickUdans Battle Guantlet is on its way, and I hope you cry about it.

Medieval battler royale? I'm down

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still waiting for Tom Clancy's Battle Royale on The Division engine, it would be great. The Division got a lot of shit for how it launched and how long it took to get into the state it's in now but there's no denying it runs, looks, sounds and plays great, it would be an amazing foundation.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Medieval battler royale? I'm down

Off topic, what is Podrick's last name btw?

On topic, bet the farm a medieval BR is coming. I am surprised there isn't a direct hunger games copy yet other than "the culling".

I'm still waiting for Tom Clancy's Battle Royale on The Division engine, it would be great. The Division got a lot of shit for how it launched and how long it took to get into the state it's in now but there's no denying it runs, looks, sounds and plays great, it would be an amazing foundation.

Wildlands already has the mechanics for it perfected. Just need to add lean. The division's damage model would need tweaking to not be bullet spongy (I only played early game though so maybe it got better?)

Ashtar

A twinstick isometric battle royal would be interesting.
I was just thinking the same thing.
Back to op from what I've read while creatively it appears to take a lot from pubg, legally doesn't seem like there's a lot to be done. On the other hand given blue point and player unknown himself cribbing from other games, he doesn't seem to have a leg to stand on.
As far as I'm concerned I'm gonna get fort note br because I don't play pc and it's free; this might be a dead by daylight vs Friday the 13th situation where dbd was a big hit on pc I saw 1.8 million copies sold on. The box ) and seems the more polished game by Friday beat it to consoles and blew up.

FyreWulff

I can't wait for Battle Royale: Source, where you have to keep going inwards on the map because the engine starts deleting things from there being too many entities

This is stupid, you can't claim ownership of game mechanics, only assets, characters, names, and source code. They also aren't the first developer to create a game like this, regardless if PU had a hand in most of those games. He doesn't own them, and Bluehole doesn't own the concept of a Battle Royale game.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Gaf can't wait for a small studio success story to be replaced by their favorite Corporate Overlord Approved Game.

Small studio success story let success go to their head and are now vaguely threatening legal action for a game being similar to theirs. The reaction, from a company that has sold 11 million copies at $30, is literally whining like a child.

Lets put them on a pedestal for being a small success story though, and ignore their tantrum.

Boke1879

Gaf can't wait for a small studio success story to be replaced by their favorite Corporate Overlord Approved Game.

huh? have you read the thread?

Most people are just commenting about how this statement really comes off as just kinda salty. I wish PUBG and their devs nothing but success.

But to put out a statement like this because a partner is introducing a free BR mode to their game is a bit much.

Gator86

Yeah, fuck competition! People should stop introducing products into a market once one is popular, especially if that product is only available on one platform many people don't have access to.

Top Bottom