• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG dev Bluehole concerned over Fortnite's Battle Royale [Up: Background Both Sides]

Alienous

What if Tencent after being told no to the purchase of Bluehole - instructed Epic to make a clone so that they could undercut PubG in the West - and more importantly, bring a BR game to China first. And the "we're just fans of the genre" is just masking the truth.
Doesn't make it illegal perhaps, but pretty scummy.

Even assuming it was that deliberately malicious if you aren't reflexive enough to the needs of your audience, and someone else scoops them up, that's on you. It isn't for the industry to step back and let them take as long as they'd like to satisfy their consumer's wishes.

They're only entitled to their headstart. Like Minecraft they have to keep up with competition or be left behind.

Wereroku

What if Tencent after being told no to the purchase of Bluehole - instructed Epic to make a clone so that they could undercut PubG in the West - and more importantly, bring a BR game to China first. And the "we're just fans of the genre" is just masking the truth.

PUBG is already in China and a significant portion of the players are chinese.

Mooreberg

Getting into an entanglement with your engine provider is a weird way to go. I can see them making a claim that it is a copied idea, but the line about the first standalone game is bonkers with KOTK coming out thirteen months earlier.

I wish they would just focus on fixing the game. All Fortnite Battle Royale has to do is launch from the desktop and it will be pulling ahead.

Ploid 3.0

The PUBG people really gave Fortnite BR some good advertisement with this statement though. Epic BR team must be smiling and happy about this.

Wereroku

Admittedly not familiar with the SK vs Epic legal battle but at a quick glance it looks like Dyack's main arguments were fraud, copyright infringement and trade secrets. You are right that if Bluehole had a strong case they would not be hitting up the press but rather walking over to the courthouse and filing a lawsuit.

Basically Dyack claimed that Epic was prioritizing their own work over their engine licensees maliciously. If I remember right all of his claims were proven false and he was successfully counter-sued for taking Unreal and altering it and giving it a new name.

Blah didn't mean to make a new post.

Compsiox

Banned
PlayerUnknown was helping companies replicate the mode. Now that he has his own standalone game he's against this? H1Z1 BR didn't really put a spin on the mode.

I don't know what he expected after being so open about everything for a long time.

Being original would be good tho.

eizarus

Banned
Lol, people really fall for anything.

Fortnite isn't really designed for PVP, in weapons, movement or anything, this is just Epic being a bit shameless and trying to ride the wave.
Buying for their battle royale version seems a really bad idea.
Yeaaaah... No. I actually researched the game before purchasing, and liked the PvE system. My point was that, like me, there are plenty of people who wouldn't have even given it a glance had they not seen Epic using this to appeal to potential PUBG players on PS4
Since it is going f2p on the 26th, you can request a refund if you don't want access to the PVE side. Although I suggest trying the PVE side you might enjoy it. It's solid
Pretty cool of them, but I love the PvE side 😜

GodofWine

PlayerUnknown was helping companies replicate the mode. Now that he has his own standalone game he's against this? H1Z1 BR didn't really put a spin on the mode.

I don't know what he expected after being so open about everything for a long time.

Being original would be good tho.

Its not 'PU' saying these things, its a Executive at Bluehole.

In terms of being original - how can one be original 100%, its like saying to make an original racing game, or an original tactical FPS. Its kinda all been done to an extent. Even the gameplay in PUBG has all been done, just not all put together like PU did, but every single mechanic is familiar. BR is going through what the early 00's went through with FPS's.

Shaanyboi

Banned
What does the community for this even look like on consoles? Like I don't doubt Epic made the right call introducing the mode, but is their playerbase even able to support it?

It was dumb for Bluehole to get in bed with Microsoft to begin with. This genre was never going to remain under the radar of AAA devs for too long and it was a mistake for them to remain so complacent. Without a suitable option on console, that void would need to be filled by something. Now, instead of using the resources and manpower they’ve gathered through their success to put out something “finished” on console, Bluehole will now always be fighting for market share.

Even if Fortnite isn’t the most realistic BR out there, the polish and price will no doubt make it the king on consoles for the foreseeable future.

eizarus

Banned
What does the community for this even look like on consoles? Like I don't doubt Epic made the right call introducing the mode, but is their playerbase even able to support it?
It seems ok. The game chucks you into an open area while the lobby fills up (you can attack but not damage others).

Once you die, you can exit the match without any penalties and find a new match, so it certainly holds the illusion of a playerbase big enough that you don't have to wait.

Wereroku

It's only be for sale for like a week so it's kind of hard to know anything about the playerbase. I am sure when it goes f2p we will hear more.

GodofWine

Just so people know what Epic said...

"“We love Battle Royale games like PUBG and thought Fortnite would make a great foundation for our own version.”

thats it.

Mooreberg

Just so people know what Epic said...

"“We love Battle Royale games like PUBG and thought Fortnite would make a great foundation for our own version.”

thats it.
Yeah that is exactly what Donald Mustard said in the announcement video. This thing is not going away just because Bluehole wants it to.

Compsiox

Banned
Its not 'PU' saying these things, its a Executive at Bluehole.

In terms of being original - how can one be original 100%, its like saying to make an original racing game, or an original tactical FPS. Its kinda all been done to an extent. Even the gameplay in PUBG has all been done, just not all put together like PU did, but every single mechanic is familiar. BR is going through what the early 00's went through with FPS's.

In a recent Reddit AMA (e.g. Ask Me Anything) session, Brendan Greene (aka PLAYERUKNOWN) was asked about other companies replicating the Battle Royale experience:

”Other companies will, of course, enter the marketplace, but I would just hope they put their own spin on the game mode and not just make a carbon copy!"

He helped make some carbon copies. So this statement is stupid coming from him. But, in my opinion having an original spin would be good.

Darkwater

The ๖ۜBronx;249664755 said:
Fortnite's Battle Royale is clearly not a carbon copy of PUBG

I know. Which is why, again, I suspect BlueHole is talking about what Epic is developing this mode into, rather than what the mode is right at this moment.

and I don't see them removing the parts of it that make it distinct anytime soon.

I don't know what you mean by this. Who removing parts of what and why?

You mentioned that people seem to be ignoring that phrasing, which is why I'm saying this at all.

I'm not trying to be coy here, but again, I do not understand what you're saying.

Kinyou

Because the statement wasn't even needed. It's clear as you said they have nothing to stand on legally. It's just a salty statement.

If roles were reversed you know people would rightfully be shitting on Epic, EA or any of the big publishers if they put out something like this.
But I can understand them being salty when such a clear copy comes around, especially from someone who've they've been working closely with. I'm surprised that people don't have at least some sympathy for that, since usually gaf has no problem to call out clones

Gator86

They should get concerned about the Division 2, now that will be a threat.

I'm incredibly interested in what they do for Division 2. Lots of time to look at what went right/wrong with Division 1, lots of feedback from Destiny 1 and 2, advancing tech, PUBG and other influences. Division 2 could be fucking amazing.

Boke1879

But I can understand them being salty when such a clear copy comes around, especially from someone who've they've been working closely with. I'm surprised that people don't have at least some sympathy for that, since usually gaf has no problem to call out clones

IN fortnite isn't there crafting elements involved?

Even still you can't patent a game idea and there will be MANY other clones and straight rip offs coming in the future.

If Epic stole code and Bluehole had proof and said they go into legal action. I'd have no issues. But they threaten legal action over the BR style and because their game was mentioned in a press release in a positive light?

It just reeks of salt.

Platform and middleware developers that also make their own software should never be trusted very far as partners. Whatever legal contract you have is the only thing you can trust. Apple do this so often to developers with apps they like that there's a whole verb for it, "Sherlocked".

I don't blame Epic for trying to cash in on a hot genre, but I think it's going to make it a bit harder for developers to trust them in the future.

And if Bluehole didn't have a strong NDA or other legal contract with Epic that protected their IP, then they've learned a hard lesson. A lesson they should've apparently learned long ago since they started out life by stealing the IP of another developer (according to the mod edit).

Even still you can't patent a game idea and there will be MANY other clones and straight rip offs coming in the future.

If Epic stole code and Bluehole had proof and said they go into legal action. I'd have no issues. But they threaten legal action over the BR style and because their game was mentioned in a press release in a positive light?

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems like if Epic had access to Bluehole's game ideas during development while Epic was helping them with the engine, then Epic got a head start on development of their own game. This might fall under trade secret protections, but not sure.

lol

there will be a loooot of clones and some of then wont even have fortnite's crafting system, so I doubt they will be doing this for every br game out there.

Because it's a reality in the industry. You make something popular and people will clone it. Don't you remember back in the early 90's when Capcom took Data East to court because they felt Fighter's History was too similar to Street Fighter 2? The judge admitted that it was clear that Data East were attempting to piggyback off the success of SF2, but still sided with them for this reason

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scènes_à_faire

MUnited83

For you.
He helped make some carbon copies. So this statement is stupid coming from him. But, in my opinion having an original spin would be good.
He didn't. All his Battle Royale games play differently. And he wasn't talking about Fortnite there, it was general statement.

I know. Which is why, again, I suspect BlueHole is talking about what Epic is developing this mode into, rather than what the mode is right at this moment.

I don't know what you mean by this. Who removing parts of what and why?

I'm not trying to be coy here, but again, I do not understand what you're saying.
To me when you say you suspect Bluehole is referring to what Epic is developing the mode into, with respect a carbon copy, it would mean removing the elements that make it distinct. So that would mean removing the building aspect of it, which I don't see them doing - meaning there will always be a clear distinction between them. Or am I misunderstanding your position?

Boke1879

Platform and middleware developers that also make their own software should never be trusted very far as partners. Whatever legal contract you have is the only thing you can trust. Apple do this so often to developers with apps they like that there's a whole verb for it, "Sherlocked".

I don't blame Epic for trying to cash in on a hot genre, but I think it's going to make it a bit harder for developers to trust them in the future.

And if Bluehole didn't have a strong NDA or other legal contract with Epic that protected their IP, then they've learned a hard lesson. A lesson they should've apparently learned long ago since they started out life by stealing the IP of another developer (according to the mod edit).

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems like if Epic had access to Bluehole's game ideas during development while Epic was helping them with the engine, then Epic got a head start on development of their own game. This might fall under trade secret protections, but not sure.

Don't think Bluehole would be making a public statement like this if anything like that was going on. We'll see though.

Defense of the Ancients
dota-defense-of-the-ancients.gif

League of Legends

Dota 2

Heroes of the Storm

Arena of Valor

Strife

Infinite Crisis (Dead)

And those are just a few of the games that are straight up the same, before I dive into the deeper market of clones. Fortnite Battle Royale adds a significant change in the form of the entire building mechanic.

I can understand being unhappy, but not much more beyond that.

GodofWine

I'd like to see this go to court, and have Epic say "no, we didn't copy PUBG, we copied H1Z1".

This is like when Lindsay Lohan sued Rockstar for using a person that kinda looked like her on their cover art,

Edit

Damn, I had no idea about Bluehole basically being founded on stolen assets. I'm also surprised nothing was found to be wrong with Devilian either, considering just watching 30 seconds of gameplay just now, I saw several assets that looked like they were pulled directly from Diablo III and World of Warcraft. I understand these games tend to exist in other regions because of something about region-specific laws or whatever, but this game exists in the US, and I don't understand how.

Also, don't really feel like they should feel as threatened as they are. With how poorly Epic's handled the main Fornite game, I doubt they'll handle this side project any better.

Faithless Mr.

Neo Member
Can we talk about the fact that on this site the tide turned against pubg when it became clear it was a long timed exclusive for xbox? Stay Classy Neogaf

It has more to do with the stream snipping ban and the fact early access game has made a case for itself as a GOTY title after outselling every game out there.

ZugZug123

What are they suing for? Battle royale was not invented by PUBG, they were just the ones that hit it big. What a bunch of bozos.

mas8705

Part of me is wondering if this situation might emulate what we had seen over the course of this and last year in regards to how Overwatch had refined the "Hero Shooter" genre to such a point where all other games that followed the formula got bashed to kingdom come by the OW fanboys.

This makes me all the more concern if you have the developers actually raising their voices against Fortnite here, which could be seen as the "green light" for PUBG fanboys to go after Fortnite in the same negative capacity or not. We'll see what happens, but I won't be shocked at all if we start to see a flood of negative reviews for Fortnite on some review sites where you have people writing, "THESE GUYS RIPPED OFF BATTLEGROUNDS! REMOVE FORTNITE OFF STEAM!" and other random nonsense like that...

Edit: I thought Fortnite was on Steam, but it isn't. Apologies.

Well it's not as if PUBG is gonna be on PS4 anytime soon so let people play a version of the game mode that will actually be on the console

We'll see what happens, but I won't be shocked at all if we start to see a flood of negative reviews for Fortnite on Steam where you have people writing, "THESE GUYS RIPPED OFF BATTLEGROUNDS! REMOVE FORTNITE OFF STEAM!" and other random nonsense like that...
Do you know what Fortnite is?

mas8705

Do you know what Fortnite is?

Fully aware of Fortnite. A game where you build forts while fighting off the storm and the zombie like creatures called Husks it produces. I paid for the early access and enjoyed it.

The problem however Conker, is that for those who haven't played Fortnite, but will only be judging Fortnite just because of the "Battle Royale" addition and will be quick to jump to that conclusion without realizing that isn't the main focus of the game.

Mooreberg

This makes me all the more concern if you have the developers actually raising their voices against Fortnite here, which could be seen as the "green light" for PUBG fanboys to go after Fortnite in the same negative capacity or not. We'll see what happens, but I won't be shocked at all if we start to see a flood of negative reviews for Fortnite on Steam where you have people writing, "THESE GUYS RIPPED OFF BATTLEGROUNDS! REMOVE FORTNITE OFF STEAM!" and other random nonsense like that...
It isn't on Steam. But that probably won't stop some geniuses from trying to find it.

Top Bottom