• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG dev Bluehole concerned over Fortnite's Battle Royale [Up: Background Both Sides]

arimanius

The crazy thing is that they have. It takes one game of BR in Fortnite and one game in PUBG to realize that PUBG is a hell of a lot better for the BR gametype.

Meh. I play both and enjoy both. They play completely different. PUBG is sweaty try hard and Fortnite is arcady fun. Both give the same adrenaline pumping when you are in the final circle. They just go about it in different ways.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Reminds me of Apple complaining about Microsoft ripping off their GUI when they in fact first ripped it off from Xerox.

Standing on the shoulders of giants etc.

Papacheeks

Banned
PUBG's concept isn't new.

People have had it before, so why do they even care? They have a competitive game that as 10 Million plus people, there' s no way fortnite is even touching that.

Also how many people are actually playing fortnite? And how good is shooting in that game compared to PUBG which has innards from ARMA which makes the shooting really good.

LOL.

Fortnite has been available for less than a week.

PUBG?

That and Fortnite performs a hell of a lot better than pubg in its current state.

I've played both and I think in terms of BR, Fortnite is an inferior experience in most instances. The building stuff is a neat addition, but I think PUBG just does the whole experience a lot better.

I don't think people will be ditching PUBG in order to play Fortnite BR, for example.

I don't see how that's funny.

What really worries them is that Fortnite's mode will be F2P, and available on the biggest console platform worldwide long before PUBG even announces they will be coming to the PS4, which they can't even do right now. So if Epic pulls it off, this will cannibalize on PUBG's sales when it finally launches on consoles.

But hey, you made a little game, it went viral, became insanely popular, it was inevitable that other publishers would strike while the iron is hot and ride the tide of the new found popularity of the genre. Buy you also made a shit ton of money from it, so put that money to good use and give players a reason to prefer PUBG over Fornite's BR. This is capitalism, after all. It's a battleground of its own.

It also doesn't change that the H1Z1-alike comment doesn't hold much water when PU consulted on it because it was meant to emulate and refine a mod he had already made.

Right, but the ideas he has while working for a company don't belong to him: they belong to the company. If anything, the H1Z1 or DayZ folks should be calling up their lawyers because PUBG looks mighty similar to the things PU helped them make in the first place. This same shit happened with VR between Bethesda and Oculus.

Sevenfold

So, spurred on by Epic's announcement that FN BR is going F2P soon, BH released a statement that informs potential customers how similar the game is to their own 30 quid BR?

hotcyder

The crazy thing is that they have. It takes one game of BR in Fortnite and one game in PUBG to realize that PUBG is a hell of a lot better for the BR gametype.

That's kinda subjective - I much perfer Fornite to PUBG. Plus - if it beats it to console - once you get people weaned on Fortnite Pepsi there's no way they're going to Coca Cola PUBG.

It sounds to me like bluehole is concerned because they have an active exchange with epic going on, using their engine.

Fortnite is also pretty shameless about being a copy. Copying game mechanics is nothing new, but here it feels like they took just every element straight from pubg. Like they could have done something different with the intro instead of just replacing the plane with a flying bus.

It's a bus not a plane, you use a glider to descend, there are no vehicles, you can build structures and existing ones are destructible. That's a fair amount different from just watching a ten minute video.

zelas

Polish you're game and get it out of early access and you won't have to be concerned. Clones being announced after the fact, releasing sooner, and potentially stifling your growth is a problem the inventors of the battle royale genre made for themselves.

Besides, you're not the first guys to have your game referenced by advertising and press material. PUBG is not the Dark Souls of battle royale games.

I mean, this is just a new genre of game at this point.

ARMA Battle Royale is like early Warcraft 3 Dota, it's a mod that started a genre. And Playerunknown is like the Icefrog or Eul or whoever for this genre.

It's going to be almost impossible for any game to overtake PUBG at this point - even if some competitors are successful and profitable

Id like an alternative. All of this makes me hopeful for socom as an aside. Like, people are enjoying round based slow games and its all i wanted.

Why does pubg develop so slow anyway? If an alternative can do more Id be down. Especially on ps4

Well 100 player netcode on a console isn't exactly trivial lol. But even so, just a mode for an existing game isn't going to replicate the PC-ass PC hardcore military sim combat of PUBG which is what makes it so satisfying. Battlefield style combat where you can trivially snipe someone from far away would make for a frustrating and, in my opinion, unsuccessful take on the genre.

Well MAG did it with 256

I've played both and I think in terms of BR, Fortnite is an inferior experience in most instances. The building stuff is a neat addition, but I think PUBG just does the whole experience a lot better.

I don't think people will be ditching PUBG in order to play Fortnite BR, for example.

I don't see how that's funny.

Because you're comparing a game mode that has been available for less than a week to a £30 game that has had months and months of additions and updates.

Right, but the ideas he has while working for a company don't belong to him: they belong to the company. If anything, the H1Z1 or DayZ folks should be calling up their lawyers because PUBG looks mighty similar to the things PU helped them make in the first place. This same shit happened with VR between Bethesda and Oculus.

You are confused. The Battle Royale genre was invented by PU before H1Z1 and was originally a mod for Arma, not DayZ. H1Z1 devs hired him to add the game mode he invented to their game. There is no dispute there,

Just gonna give my thoughts like I did in the other thread.

They should have known this was coming. There are going to be MANY clones and straight up ripoffs. Especially on STEAM.

But them getting upset that they were referenced and contemplating action? I don't know. That's a bit overboard imo.

If roles were reversed. Everyone would rightfully be up in arms if Epic came out and said this shit.

I agree with this. It happens all the time. Everybody was trying to make the Halo-killer, COD-killer, etc....and now it’s PUBG. I haven’t played either game, but Fortnite intrigues me more than PUBG. It looks more polished and the building aspect seems like a worthwhile addition to that particular game style. Big publishers obviously see what’s going on and are going to replicate it.

Because you're comparing a game mode that has been available for less than a week to a £30 game that has had months and months of additions and updates.

What's wrong/funny with that comparison? Both are available for my time and I think the better experience is the paid one by a landslide

It just seems so petty for Bluehole to even care about this. Fortnite won't dethrone the PUBG hype unless PUBG messes up real bad. Instead of whining about competition, why not just let their game (and sales) speak for themselves?

1. It's immensely popular and establishing a new side-genre. Of course people are gonna imitate it. Get used to it, same thing happened with MOBAs.

2. Guys, seriously, you are the top game on Steam and the game has an extreme sell rate and active player base. You are not hurting for money, you're successful, and no imitators are going to take away the revenue you've already made. Some of us release games and can barely feed ourselves.

PUBG exec contemplating 'further action' over Fortnite Battle Royale similarities

"We are concerned Fortnite may be replicating the experience for which PUBG is known."

Cool, guess we should keep an eye out for Fortnite to be riddled with bugs, server desync, and performance issues while simultaneously having microtransactions added and a premature Gamescom tourney thrown for it.

Real talk, Bluehole have had plenty of time to fix their game and make it attractive for people to stay in.

Their game is in Early Access, and bugs are expected. Fine. Adding microtransactions and throwing an e-sports tournament for the game while the game still had massively glaring, game-disrupting bugs was a shitty move. Especially since most of those major bugs have persisted through multiple patches and are still present, in addition to now new bugs that have been added by the most recent patch.

If they lose players to Fortnite, it's because Fortnite is providing a better experience. If Bluehold were confident in their product, this wouldn't be an issue. Other studios were always going to release their own version of Battle Royale games after seeing PUBG's success. The only "further action" Bluehole should be taking should be to actually fix the major issues with their game and improve the experience.

I'm sure there are plenty of PUBG fans that will brush my post off as a "hot take" or "trolling" or whatever, but that's my viewpoint after 100+ hours spent in PUBG.

Nategc20

Banned
Like I said in the Fortnite battle royal thread. This shit is blatant. In that thread some posters explain it as DC biting off Marvel's movie universe. This is more copy and paste and more like Epic telling a team to blatantly make a mode like PUBG. They didn't even try to hide that fact. I can't support that.

How much you want to bet Days Gone ships with an apocalyptic battle royale mode? ;)

Im hoping its last of us, but actually days gone is just the same.

Only thing is, First person is what people enjoy. PUBG’s TPP seems to be what they want to get away from

But all of this wont be as successful because it comes off as an add on

We need a dedicated multiplayer game. If only zipper was still around

MUnited83

For you.
? He didn't have the idea under any company. He made the Arma mod by himself. He very much owned it, which is why H1Z1 Devs literally went to him to license their King of the Hill mode. "DayZ folks" would never be able to "call up their lawyers"

TripleBee

The issue is clearly that Epic provided the engine and most likely help to Bluehole to develop PUBG, while also developing a clone.

Also it's irrelevant that PlayerUnknown worked on the Arma mod, or H1Z1 - unless he actually owns the rights to those games.

Darkwater

we are concerned that Fortnite may be replicating the experience for which PUBG is known.

We have also noticed that Epic Games references PUBG in the promotion of Fortnite to their community and in communications with the press.

What kind of fucking hobby journalist hears this shit and doesn't ask 'perhaps you could be a little more specific?'

Bad article.

Cool. Now the Hunger Games author can sue PUBG right? Followed by the Battle Royale author suing the Hunger Games' author. /s

What a strange thing to complain about. Fads like this will always be cloned. Imitation is the greatest form of flattery etc. Time to either double down on your game to ensure it remains the industry leader like WoW did, staying one step ahead of the competition, or (more likely given the lack of finances compared to competition) it's time to move on and bring a fresh idea to light, which from a mind like his will no doubt be adored by many once again =)

meerak

lol, so lame.

PLAYERUNKNOWN'S CLICHE GREED

Yeah, limiting this game mode to your 1 game is definitely what's best for the industry. If only developers had been able to lock down deathmatch and other variants. Please win your lawsuit, we're all rooting for you!

Shai-Tan

Banned
A lot of posters seem to be assuming they're making this statement because there's competition in the market. It's not that long of an article, their concern is over being directly copied rather than have much transformative work done. That's whatever, I suppose, because it's the gaming industry and that just happens.

More of an actual concern though, PUBG is being used in marketing for another game, but Bluehole didn't authorize that.

I don't see how there is a legal case against copying a game mode unless they somehow are taking code or were breaking some agreement to copy elements that were not public at the time they were working on it i.e. if it's merely copying how a game plays they're just whining. it would be very bad if there was a turn towards trying to lock down features through patents

Xyber

This is just me, but I would ditch PUBG for any somewhat popular clone that plays roughly the same but actually runs good. The huge fluctuations in framerate is extremely annoying. Look in one direction and get 110+ fps, turn around and plummet down to 50-60. Even on a g-sync monitor this feels terrible to me who never really want anything less than 100fps in a shooter.

The issue is clearly that Epic provided the engine and most likely help to Bluehole to develop PUBG, while also developing a clone.

Also it's irrelevant that PlayerUnknown worked on the Arma mod, or H1Z1 - unless he actually owns the rights to those games.

Irrelevant to what? Legal action? I'm sure. This discussion? It's completely relevant when accusations that PU ripped off HIZ1 are being thrown around.

AZ Greg

Man, this board is always ready to go in on PUBG.

I guess that's what happens when you're not a single player experience and not available on a Sony platform.

I also think hiring off staff from another company to make a similar game for you doesn't excuse the fact that you're making a similar product if we want to view that as wrong. If Epic goes and hires one of the lead designers from PUBG, does that completely change the scenario?

Hiring off staff from another company is different from hiring the guy who was the sole creator of a mod you wanted to emulate. You're not hiring a portion of the staff, if you hire this guy you're obviously looking to copy what he's already done. H1Z1 was based heavily off of the mod PU developed, he was paid for his services and freely offering up his ideas. The key point here is that H1Z1 was copying him, and calling PUBG H1Z1 alike falls apart on inspection when they're both emulating a mod that the creative director of PUBG was the creator of.

PUBG exec contemplating 'further action' over Fortnite Battle Royale similarities

Cool, guess we should keep an eye out for Fortnite to be riddled with bugs, server desync, and performance issues while simultaneously having microtransactions added and a premature Gamescom tourney thrown for it.

Real talk, Bluehole have had plenty of time to fix their game and make it attractive for people to stay in.

Their game is in Early Access, and bugs are expected. Fine. Adding microtransactions and throwing an e-sports tournament for the game while the game still had massively glaring, game-disrupting bugs was a shitty move. Especially since most of those major bugs have persisted through multiple patches and are still present, in addition to now new bugs that have been added by the most recent patch.

If they lose players to Fortnite, it's because Fortnite is providing a better experience. If Bluehold were confident in their product, this wouldn't be an issue. Other studios were always going to release their own version of Battle Royale games after seeing PUBG's success. The only "further action" Bluehole should be taking should be to actually fix the major issues with their game and improve the experience.

I'm sure there are plenty of PUBG fans that will brush my post off as a "hot take" or "trolling" or whatever, but that's my viewpoint after 100+ hours spent in PUBG.

Doubt theyll lose to fortnite

A game like this benefits from realistic/military setting and themes I think.

But theyll surely lose some popularity to someone who can put out more maps and content faster than them

Top Bottom